Apple SSD in Touch Bar-equipped MacBook Pro fixed to motherboard, not removable

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Recent examinations of the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar show that Apple has abandoned the socketed SSD as seen in the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Function Keys model.

According to a MacRumors reader who removed the back panel of his newly arrived 15-inch MacBook Pro, the SSD is surface mounted to the motherboard, with no apparent mounting allowing for easy removal or storage upgrades. This stands in contrast to the MacBook Pro 13-inch model without the Touch Bar, that clearly had a removable SSD.

The reasons for the change are unclear. There isn't a significant difference in storage speed, with other design choices made in the interior of the computer point, such as "finger-width" gaps between batteries" presumably to facilitate ventilation.

AppleInsider has contacted Apple regarding the static SSD mount, and has not as of yet received a response. Further tear-downs of the new MacBook Pro will hopefully shed more light on the situation.

The 2016 MacBook Pro family, announced Thursday, is a major redesign to Apple's flagship notebook, and comes in screen sizes of 13 and 15 inches, with core models starting at $1,799 and shipping now to early orderers. AppleInsider has examined in detail both the models with and without the Touch Bar.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 178
    This is Pro?
    xzuWestCoasterewtheckmanentropysbitmoddoozydozendysamoriaviclauyyc
  • Reply 2 of 178
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    F-ckers
    Solientropysdoozydozendysamoriaviclauyyc
  • Reply 4 of 178
    I have been trying to decide if I would go with a 2016 model, or a 2015 or wait for the 2017.  This would almost certainly rule out the 2016 for me.  I keep my MacBooks for about 5 years (my current one is an early 2011) and I have consistently upgraded all of them....I had almost talked myself into a 2016 despite the memory limits since 16GB has proven sufficient MOST of the time but both HD and Memory constraints plus port shortage is really making it hard to go with the 2016...maybe some of that will be redressed in the next iteration but not sure I can wait that long...maybe a 2015 will get me to 2018 or even 2020 for the next big revision...maybe there will be a 'real' Pro version in the interim.

All the talk of pro apps needing more RAM has not really stood up for me (granted I am not an HD Video renderer or editor) but for me Virtual Machines is the ultimate RAM sucker.  If I need 2 VMs running (typically Linux and Windows and sometimes multiples of each) and each VM needs 4-8GB and I still want my Mac to operate in a reasonably normal fashion 16GB gets really tight.
    entropysviclauyyc
  • Reply 6 of 178
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

This is Pro?
    I didn't know Pro meant removable storage? I wonder how many times someone has actually changed their storage later on?
    sockrolidnolamacguywilliamlondonpulseimagesdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 178
    I tend to use my laptops for six years before replacing them. My first-gen MBP is being used by my twelve-year-old for homework. A SSD has a limited lifespan. This is (sort-of) okay with a tablet or a phone, but I'm looking at spending over $3,000 on the new MacBook Pro early next year (to replace my early-2011). I'm highly unlikely to do spend that kind of cash on a machine that Apple is now considering disposable when a part wears out.
    ewtheckmandoozydozendysamoriaviclauyyc
  • Reply 9 of 178
    I have been using Macs professionally for twenty years—and like many, feel the divide between Apple and its professional users has become intolerable. Specially given the price point Apple is asking for these new models. 

I have been embarrassingly close to being a "fan boy" for Apple... and I want nothing more than continue what has been a great relationship. But, for me personally, I just don't know if that is possible any more. That really upsets me to even say, but that goes to show the connection people have had with Apple. It has been/is, a relationship, unlike the Win-box ilk.

People end marriages for a lot less! Watch out, Apple (tongue in cheek).

I need another coffee...
    twa440baconstangbitmoddoozydozendysamoriaviclauyyc
  • Reply 10 of 178
    twa440 said:
    What exactly are you trying to say in this reply? I'm not sure if you're just reiterating the same link or if its the stupid forum software here messing up your post. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 178
    macxpress said:

This is Pro?
    I didn't know Pro meant removable storage? I wonder how many times someone has actually changed their storage later on?
    Pro means the user knows something about their tools. Over the years, I've upgraded the internal storage (HD/SSD and RAM) many times with my 3 MBPs! Even once with the 2012 retina model, because Apple's 768 GB SSD option was too pricey. I waited and got a 1 TB upgrade for less than the 768 GB upgrade.
    entropysbaconstangdoozydozendysamoriaviclauyyc
  • Reply 12 of 178
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    AppleInsider has contacted Apple regarding the static SSD mount, and has not as of yet received a response. Further tear-downs of the new MacBook Pro will hopefully shed more light on the situation.
    Truly noble work you're doing there.  Keep it up.
    But really though.  
    Haven't we moved well beyond any surprise at soldered-on components?
    ai46pscooter63williamlondondoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 178

I have been using Macs professionally for twenty years—and like many, feel the divide between Apple and its professional users has become intolerable. Specially given the price point Apple is asking for these new models. 

I have been embarrassingly close to being a "fan boy" for Apple... and I want nothing more than continue what has been a great relationship. But, for me personally, I just don't know if that is possible any more. That really upsets me to even say, but that goes to show the connection people have had with Apple. It has been/is, a relationship, unlike the Win-box ilk.

People end marriages for a lot less! Watch out, Apple (tongue in cheek).

I need another coffee...
    So go buy something else thats as good or better as what Apple is offering. 

Oh wait...
    pscooter63nolamacguywilliamlondonstevehdoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 178
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    macxpress said:

This is Pro?

Yes, for us it most certainly does. 5 Macs here. All but the 2015 iMac have had at least one HD upgrade. All have had memory upgrades. I'm not talking about HD failures, I'm talking about the need to add more capacity.
    entropysbaconstangdysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 178
    macxpress said:

This is Pro?
    I wouldn't trust internal 3rd party storage devices.  Just buy the higher end SKU, get some networked attached storage, and buy Apple Care for some piece of mind.
    nolamacguywilliamlondonstevehdoozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 178
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
  • Reply 17 of 178
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    I have been using Macs professionally for twenty years—and like many, feel the divide between Apple and its professional users has become intolerable. ...
    Apple seriously seems to have lost sight of the fact that the Professional Market is the Goose that Lays Golden Eggs. Consumers follow what the Pros do, Pros don't follow what consumers do.

ewtheckmanentropysbaconstangdoozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 18 of 178
    I tend to use my laptops for six years before replacing them. My first-gen MBP is being used by my twelve-year-old for homework. A SSD has a limited lifespan. This is (sort-of) okay with a tablet or a phone, but I'm looking at spending over $3,000 on the new MacBook Pro early next year (to replace my early-2011). I'm highly unlikely to do spend that kind of cash on a machine that Apple is now considering disposable when a part wears out.
    MBTFs on high end flash are so good that the odds of you seeing any kind of serious performance degradation even after six years are low. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 19 of 178
    I wouldn't trust internal 3rd party storage devices.  Just buy the higher end SKU, get some networked attached storage, and buy Apple Care for some piece of mind.
    Buy AppleCare then because you don't trust OEM storage either.  :p
    The 3rd party options review quite well, at least the ones I've seen... and used. If you're skittish, just wait for some reviews before buying.
    edited November 2016 Solibaconstang
  • Reply 20 of 178
    I'm so sure you're going to be able to find a high end SSD for a reasonable price.  This is a new part only Apple is using.  By the time you want to make it bigger, this type of SSD will be completely obsolete and slow.