'Designed by Apple in California' book released in $200 and $300 editions [u]

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    sog35 said:
    So this is what Tim Cook was wasting his time on instead of giving us new MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.
    So tell us Mr I can run a company better than anyone else...what processor do you expect them to use in those products? If you say use the processor thats in the new MacBook Pro for either the iMac or the MacMini thats absolutely the WRONG answer!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 112
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

macxpress said:

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    Well...my wallet is going to be $300 lighter come tomorrow. This is cool!
    $300....for a....book. Serious question, will some people buy literally anything Apple releases? 
    When its something like this...yes! This will sell very quickly. They could price it at $500 and it would sell just as well. 
    You can google every one of these pictures at anytime for free. 
    No, you can't at that quality. And for some reason if you did happen to find every product at that high of quality, you cannot expect it to be there forever. This isn't a book you sit and read on the shitter. Its a coffee table book. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    garymac said:
    $300? For a book? Not only that, but a book with "planned obsolescence" in a month when they release something new? Seems they shoulda waited until the anniversary iPhone is released next year? $300 for a stack of paper with pictures on it? Photos of all their products are available for free on the web. Print a picture. $300 for an Apple product that has Zero Jonny Ive precision tooled aluminium? Apple has lost touch with 90% of the world and only caters to those with salaries above $100,000 a year (like them). Bet Samsung's book of exploding phones and washing machines will be under $10. 
    Yeah, histories should never be written, more stuff is going to happen next week. Books on paper are like paintings on canvas, obsolete.

You guys live in an electronic bubble of ignorance.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 112
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    garymac said:
    $300? For a book? Not only that, but a book with "planned obsolescence" in a month when they release something new? Seems they shoulda waited until the anniversary iPhone is released next year? $300 for a stack of paper with pictures on it? Photos of all their products are available for free on the web. Print a picture. $300 for an Apple product that has Zero Jonny Ive precision tooled aluminium? Apple has lost touch with 90% of the world and only caters to those with salaries above $100,000 a year (like them). Bet Samsung's book of exploding phones and washing machines will be under $10. 
    Actually what's really funny about this is that I doubt Steve Jobs would have allowed this book to be published by Apple. The Kunzel book before this was a collaboration with Apple, but ultimately published by a third party. Steve infamously stumbled onto the informal Apple museum when he first returned to Apple and orders it packed up and donated to Stanford -- he didn't want anybody looking back. 

Thant's all this book is about. 

Might Steve have softened his stance on this in his old age? Maybe. Might he have made an exception for his friend Jony? Maybe. But generally speaking, I don't see Jobs devoting corporate resources to looking backward, no matter how beautiful it might have been ...
  • Reply 85 of 112
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    So this is what Tim Cook was wasting his time on instead of giving us new MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.
    So tell us Mr I can run a company better than anyone else...what processor do you expect them to use in those products? If you say use the processor thats in the new MacBook Pro for either the iMac or the MacMini thats absolutely the WRONG answer!
    I'm sure he would do a great job running AAPL. At 11,000 posts on AI multiplied by a modest 5 minutes per post (reading, getting all worked up, googling, writing & reading replies), he's spent 920 hours on Appleinsider. Clearly a luminary of business, productivity & industry.

Hey, we are all in a glass house in that department. I'm just not the one railing on about how someone else isn't doing their job.

Except the Apple Book department. Letting the Pro book readers down is inexcusable!
    patchythepiratemacxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 112

zoetmb said:

sog35 said:

I'm getting sick and tired of Tim Cook's indulgent worship of the past. I can see this same attitude in the new headquarters. Instead of getting us a brand new redesigned iPhone7 we get a rehash of a 3 year old phone.  Instead of giving us a home assistant like Echo, we get this ridiculous self worshiping book that cost $300.
    What makes you think that Tim Cook had anything to do with this book other than saying, "sounds like a good idea - go ahead".   Now if you want to make that argument against Ive, you might have a case, although my bet is that this book was put together by an outside packager or a contractor.  And even if he was involved reviewing photos or pages, etc., what makes you think this has anything to do with the engineers who design new products?  "Oh, sorry, I can't work on analyzing the new Intel processor today because on the other side of the campus, they're shooting photos for the book about Apple design."   

They say it's been in the works for 8 years, but that means work started in 2008, three years before Jobs died.  I find that a bit hard to believe, considering that Jobs never wanted to look back.  I seem to remember Jobs being asked about a potential Apple museum and Jobs replying that he had no interest in the past.  

Furthermore, publishing a book like this reinforces the brand.  A brand which I believe has taken a hit in the last few years, mostly because of its success.  It's hard to be "elite" when you're selling products to everyone and selling them in Walmart and Sears.  
    But I suspect Jobs would have classed this book as a statement of Apple's forward-looking design philosophy, snd backed it like he did Apple University, to preserve the vision.

People don't get how different Apple's approach is to desigh. It needs to be spelled out, by them and by others. There are some like Sog who think Samsung's chromey, swoopy-edged glossy crap is as good as Apple's.

You need to study the art to see what it is. Design books do that like nothing else can.
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 112
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    Thanks for injecting some technical reality, not that it does any good with these keyboard monkeys.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 112
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:

...to prevent a long, long slide for Apple.
    So that is your prediction? SJ died 5 years ago. Go look at a 5 year stock chart. AAPL is currently up over 97% during that time. 
    Oh please. During the last five years, Google is up 171%, Facebook up 268%, Microsoft up 143%, Amazon up 306%. Heck, the S&P500 is up 87%.

So it's no great shakes. Just sayin'.... since you brought it up.
    so because other companies are also delivering value...it somehow means apple's success is less? what an odd, irrational thought. i'd call that....nonsense. 
    Some day you'll figure out the concept of opportunity cost.

Until then, fulminate away...
  • Reply 89 of 112
    mac_128 said:
    garymac said:
    Actually what's really funny about this is that I doubt Steve Jobs would have allowed this book to be published by Apple. The Kunzel book before this was a collaboration with Apple, but ultimately published by a third party. Steve infamously stumbled onto the informal Apple museum when he first returned to Apple and orders it packed up and donated to Stanford -- he didn't want anybody looking back. 

Thant's all this book is about. 

Might Steve have softened his stance on this in his old age? Maybe. Might he have made an exception for his friend Jony? Maybe. But generally speaking, I don't see Jobs devoting corporate resources to looking backward, no matter how beautiful it might have been ...
    And? Why are people so obsessed with what Jobs would have done/thought/said? Plus it's not as if he never changed his mind. Good grief it's a stupid coffee book that no one has to buy. The fact that that my Twitter tech feed is losing its collective mind over this book is ridiculous.
    patchythepiratemacxpress
  • Reply 90 of 112
    Rayz2016 said:
    I don't think it's a statement of future strategy. 
    Well, poshness. I think that’ll stay the same.  ;)
  • Reply 91 of 112
    sog35 said:
    polymnia said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    I'm sure he would do a great job running AAPL. At 11,000 posts on AI multiplied by a modest 5 minutes per post (reading, getting all worked up, googling, writing & reading replies), he's spent 920 hours on Appleinsider. Clearly a luminary of business, productivity & industry.

Hey, we are all in a glass house in that department. I'm just not the one railing on about how someone else isn't doing their job.

Except the Apple Book department. Letting the Pro book readers down is inexcusable!
    Talk is cheap my friend. Look at facts. 

2012 Apple stock was $100
    Today over four years latter its about $100

Bottom line is Tim Cook has FAILED to deliver value to Apple shareholders. Even though he spend about $200 billion in buybacks the stock is exactly where it was 4 years ago. That is a MASSIVE FAILURE by Cook. PERIOD.

I may not be smarter than Cook. But I know he has failed as a CEO to deliver for long term shareholders.
    I guess if you bought all your stock in 2012 and have held it to now, it would seem like a poor investment. That's not what I did. And that dividend isn't bad.

Not all stocks are growth stocks. Even growth stocks change over time, becoming income producers if they manage the transition properly.

Those, my friend, are also facts.
  • Reply 92 of 112
    sog35 said:
    polymnia said:
    sog35 said:
    polymnia said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:

Talk is cheap my friend. Look at facts. 

2012 Apple stock was $100
    Today over four years latter its about $100

Bottom line is Tim Cook has FAILED to deliver value to Apple shareholders. Even though he spend about $200 billion in buybacks the stock is exactly where it was 4 years ago. That is a MASSIVE FAILURE by Cook. PERIOD.

I may not be smarter than Cook. But I know he has failed as a CEO to deliver for long term shareholders.
    I guess if you bought all your stock in 2012 and have held it to now, it would seem like a poor investment. That's not what I did. And that dividend isn't bad.

Not all stocks are growth stocks. Even growth stocks change over time, becoming income producers if they manage the transition properly.

Those, my friend, are also facts.
    So you are satisfied with a 2% return? Talk about low standards. You are better off investing in close to zero risk govenment bonds if that's the case.

To say going from $100 to $105 is 4 years is acceptable is crazy. Especially in a moderately high risk investment in a tech company. And the only reason the stock is up $5 is because Apple's cash balance has gone up $100 billion. 

Tim is truly one of the worst performing CEO's of a successful company of all time.

Show me another company that has grown profits, sales, and cash so much in 4 years and still have the stock in the dumps? There is none.

Apple has basically DOUBLED their annual profits the last 4 years and yet he stock is worth the same. That tells me that the market thinks Cook sucks as a CEO and the company will only go down hill from here on.

I'm LONG on Apple. 4 years isn't a meaningful length of time for this particular investment. I don't need it to double or triple in that time. I'm not planning to trade it for 20 years or more. I have other investments where I chase more dramatic returns.

Smart investment plays Aggressive & Conservative strategies in varying proportions. Perhaps you should rebalance your portfolio if Apple is your Aggressive bet? You'll probably have more luck rebalancing your own portfolio than yelling at the internet about firing Tim Cook.
    rogifan_newwatto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 112
    sog35 said:
    zoetmb said:

sog35 said:

I'm getting sick and tired of Tim Cook's indulgent worship of the past. I can see this same attitude in the new headquarters. Instead of getting us a brand new redesigned iPhone7 we get a rehash of a 3 year old phone.  Instead of giving us a home assistant like Echo, we get this ridiculous self worshiping book that cost $300.
    What makes you think that Tim Cook had anything to do with this book other than saying, "sounds like a good idea - go ahead".   Now if you want to make that argument against Ive, you might have a case, although my bet is that this book was put together by an outside packager or a contractor.  And even if he was involved reviewing photos or pages, etc., what makes you think this has anything to do with the engineers who design new products?  "Oh, sorry, I can't work on analyzing the new Intel processor today because on the other side of the campus, they're shooting photos for the book about Apple design."   

They say it's been in the works for 8 years, but that means work started in 2008, three years before Jobs died.  I find that a bit hard to believe, considering that Jobs never wanted to look back.  I seem to remember Jobs being asked about a potential Apple museum and Jobs replying that he had no interest in the past.  

Furthermore, publishing a book like this reinforces the brand.  A brand which I believe has taken a hit in the last few years, mostly because of its success.  It's hard to be "elite" when you're selling products to everyone and selling them in Walmart and Sears.  
    I think its the price that is turning people of. I mean seriously $300. 

If this was priced at $99 no one would care.
    It's $300 because it's not something that is going to be mass produced. I highly doubt Apple's intention is to sell many of these. Also the people complaining/being snarky about it have no intention of buying it.

Some on Twitter are speculating this signals Ive's retirement from the company. I'm not convinced because Apple still uses him in product launch videos and he did give an interview on the touch bar so clearly he's still involved in products. I don't think an Apple Car (or lack there of) would determine whether he retires or not.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 94 of 112
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    sog35 said:
    icoco3 said:
    Buy one, leave in the box, check value 20 years from now...
    the cost of inflation, storage, and potential destruction by fire/flood.

Even if it TRIPLES in value it won't be a very good investment.
    Sell 3 of your shares, get one, and you will make more than you say your stock will be worth in 3 years time.
    edited November 2016 polymniamacxpress
  • Reply 95 of 112
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    garymac said:
    Guess those that bought an Apple 1 worried about obsolescence when they paid their $666.66 Who knew they would one day be worth over $500,000
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 112
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Looks nice but also seems A bit self indulgent? Not sure exactly how I feel about this...
    Trust me;  you hate it, especially if anyone who had anything to do with the Beats acquisition has touched a copy. 
    I don't hate it I just don't get the point of it, at least not as something for sale. Maybe if it was on display in the new campus or something. I dunno just seeems a bit tone deaf right now.

design is the whole point of it... that draw you into the store and willingly fork over your hard earned cash to apple.  industry design is why iphone took 104% of profit of smart phone field (plus A10 processor, given that).  it is what sells... I get it, you don't like the book and its price, but it is really good for fan to understand the hard labour behind the stuff they hold in hand - emotional linked I guess.  Not sure if IDEO and cambridge U are mentioned or not... they are deserve some credit too.  https://www.amazon.ca/Materials-Design-Science-Material-Selection/dp/1856174972 ; (no doubt, apple got it right with right leader in both business and design... Samsung did sent many engineers to IDEO, still a bit behind). 

• Reply 97 of 112
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    macxpress said:

1st said:
    sweet.  will look in the library next year... (out of reach for my budget).. will compare with IDEO and Oxford design book and learn the simple taste of beauty... 
    People still go to Libraries? :open_mouth: 

you don't know what you missing ;-)... not every book are on google... face book and google are full of fake news and fake data, be careful where you get your info... IMO.
    tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 98 of 112
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    It's Apple...it's only $300. Get over it people.

Probably one of the cheapest things they make apart from adaptors! :)

And if Sir Jony had an input I'm surprised it has 450 pictures in it...seems like a really thick book to me.

I must be holding it wrong.

Surprised it doesn't have aluminium covers...
  • Reply 99 of 112
    glynh said:
    Surprised it doesn't have aluminium covers…
    Iconic has a version with a “metal-like” finish that comes in an Apple ][ case. And another one with a pulsing sleep LED. Even the one with the Apple ][ case is cheaper than Apple’s book.
  • Reply 100 of 112
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Oh bummer. No book for me.

There's no way to outsmart the Apple website. My country is neither mentionned in the Apple store nor Apple online store list  :(

Here's hoping for a 20$* EPUB book.

>:x

(*) 20$ 20 years
    edited November 2016