Monitoring software on some US Android phones sent text messages, location info to China [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2016
Pre-installed software on some Android phones from a developer contracted to develop the software for an undisclosed Chinese manufacturer sends the contents of text messages composed on the device, in addition to other user metadata, to a server in China.

Security researchers Kryptowire discovered the software that sends user locations, contacts, and text messages to a server once every 72 hours when connected to Wi-Fi. The code is on 700 million phones, according to developer Shanghai Adups Technology.

U.S. manufacturer BLU Products says that 120,000 of its phones have the software installed, and that it has recently updated the software to eliminate the monitoring.

According to Shanghai Adups Technology, the software installed on BLU's phones was a "mistake" and the package was never intended for phones destined for the U.S. According to the developer, the software was created at the request of an undisclosed Chinese phone manufacturer ostensibly to assist with customer support and tracking down junk text messages and unwanted phone calls.

It is not clear how many phones internationally have the monitoring software installed, and Shanghai Adups Technology refuses to say what manufacturers have bought the software. ZTE and Huawei currently use software from the developer as well.

Update: According to a statement issued by ZTE on the matter, the company has not installed the software on any U.S. devices.

The Department of Homeland Security has been advised of the situation, and is "working with our public and private sector partners to identify appropriate mitigation strategies," according to the New York Times.

BLU Products also makes an array of iOS accessories and cases, unaffected by the monitoring package. More than 30 million BLU devices have been sold in 40 countries, according to the company. BLU is also currently being sued by BlackBerry for alleged violation of eight patents belonging to the Canadian manufacturer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Here comes the wall builder to out monitor them.
    ronnbaconstangredgeminipajony0
  • Reply 2 of 30
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

According to Shanghai Adups Technology, the software installed on BLU's phones was a "mistake" 
    Bullshit.  They got caught and now trying to backpedal.  Just another nail in Android's coffin.  When Apple was making news for their phones being so locked-down while Android's creator Google being so quiet?  This is why.  Android is a joke of an OS and it banks on the user's stupidity to use their crappy software.

I pity the chinese user.  China's government is so archaic, it just amazes me that the chinese population has not revolted and bring that government down.
    redraider11caliSolijahbladeronnpscooter63buckalecbrakkenstarwarsmagman1979
  • Reply 3 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    This is yet ANOTHER REASON why Apple should GTFO of China

Yes this means sales will be down 25% but who cares. I don't, even as shareholder. 

I can see the bigger picture. The less the company is reliant on China the better.

That Tim Cook put all his eggs in the China basket is a total failure and lack of vision.
    And now that China sales are down 40% and all this crap is going on, Timmy ole boy has EGG ON HIS FACE.

Instead of trying to cater to US/Europe/Japan customers Timmy ole Boy focused 100% on China. Gold phones. Gold watches. Giant phones. No premium 4 inch phones. BAM. Now it blows up on  his face like a samdung phone.

China wants access to Apple iCloud serves in China. 
    China wants the source code of iOS.
    FUC THEM. No way. GTFO of China.

Take the short term hit and see the stock go down to $85.  Buy up a crap load of stock. Repatriate the $200 billion in cash on a low tax rate. Then buy up HALF of the company shares in one swoop.

In a couple years the stock will be at $250 without China.  Then when China learns to treat Apple with respect, Apple can bring its products back to China.

Till them, go to hell China.
    I'm not racist. My grandmother was 100% Chinese (RIP) and I loved here dearly. 
    Timmy ole Boy entering china where Google has ZERO traction was a smart move. Imagine what Google would pay to have this "problem".
    ronntmaynetmagejony0
  • Reply 4 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

Yes this means sales will be down 25% but who cares. I don't, even as shareholder. 

I can see the bigger picture. The less the company is reliant on China the better.

That Tim Cook put all his eggs in the China basket is a total failure and lack of vision.
    And now that China sales are down 40% and all this crap is going on, Timmy ole boy has EGG ON HIS FACE.

Instead of trying to cater to US/Europe/Japan customers Timmy ole Boy focused 100% on China. Gold phones. Gold watches. Giant phones. No premium 4 inch phones. BAM. Now it blows up on  his face like a samdung phone.

Take the short term hit and see the stock go down to $85.  Buy up a crap load of stock. Repatriate the $200 billion in cash on a low tax rate. Then buy up HALF of the company shares in one swoop.

In a couple years the stock will be at $250 without China.  Then when China learns to treat Apple with respect, Apple can bring its products back to China.

Timmy ole Boy entering china where Google has ZERO traction was a smart move. Imagine what Google would pay to have this "problem".
    Apparently not enough. . . :)
  • Reply 5 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:

[...]

[…]

Is this going to be your new OCD focus? Come into every thread and say Apple should stop selling HW in China? 
    edited November 2016 ronnsingularity2old4funmwhitecalitmaymagman1979netmageSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 6 of 30
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,290member
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:

[...]

[…]

Is this going to be your new OCD focus? Come into every thread and say Apple should stop selling HW in China? 
    This story is about China spying isn't it?

And now China wants access to iOS source code and a back door on China iPhones.
    Plus access to China's iCloud.

This china thing is a big problem.
    What happens if the Trump administration wants to access iOS source code and put a back door on US iPhones. Should Apple leave the US too? Just focus on Canada maybe? 
    edited November 2016 SolironnRayz2016mwhiteirelandtmaymagman1979jony0
  • Reply 7 of 30
    sog35 said:

For once, I'm on the Sog train...
    dasanman69redgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 30
    They BLU it. I'm sorry it had to be said.
    Rayz2016cali
  • Reply 9 of 30
    blastdoor said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:

[...]

[…]

What happens if the Trump administration wants to access iOS source code and put a back door on US iPhones. Should Apple leave the US too? Just focus on Canada maybe? 
    I don't know if focussing on Canada would be a working strategy. Design efforts would shift to making the products work at sub-zero temperatures and keyboards you can use while wearing mittens. Plus the first QuickType suggestion would always be "Sorry."

Okay, I knocked off two common stereotypes. Any other Canadians wanna wade in?
    edited November 2016 ration al
  • Reply 10 of 30
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

I'm fine with Timmy ole Boy entering China.  The problem is he PUT ALL HIS EGGS in the China basket and gave no attention to the US/Europe/JApan markets.

Now that China sales are down 40%, China government doing some shady crap and threats. Now Timmmy has Egg whites all over his face.
    All sales are down or slowed because of smartphone saturation. Every phone maker is experiencing the same thing. That's why Apple is moving into India.
    mwhitenetmage
  • Reply 11 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    blastdoor said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:

[...]

[…]

Didn't he claim he was boycotting Apple after the San Bernadino case? Does he have a stated policy about encryption and backdoors?
  • Reply 12 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

You all realize this is a non issue, the users of android have already sign over their right to privacy by simply doing business with Google in any way shape or form. Most of the people who have these phones will tell you they have nothing to hide, getting stuff cheap and free has higher value then their personal information.

edited November 2016 calipscooter63ration al
  • Reply 13 of 30
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    sog35 said:
    wigby said:
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

I'm fine with Timmy ole Boy entering China.  The problem is he PUT ALL HIS EGGS in the China basket and gave no attention to the US/Europe/JApan markets.

Now that China sales are down 40%, China government doing some shady crap and threats. Now Timmmy has Egg whites all over his face.
    All sales are down or slowed because of smartphone saturation. Every phone maker is experiencing the same thing. That's why Apple is moving into India.
    So why is Apple just focusing on phones? 

Where is the new MacPro, MacMini, iOS desktop, Echo device, Live TV package, Apple Monitor, iPad Air, ect, ect, ect, ect.

No one is telling Apple to only focus on iPhone. 

And you are wrong. Smartphone sales are actually up this year.
    You have 11,176 post 11,000 are complaints and B.S. and 176 are a little positive...
    Soliirelandnetmageration al
  • Reply 14 of 30
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

Cook pulled all Apple products out of the US and EU markets? When did that happen? Or are you just making stuff up and talking out of your backside?
    Solisingularitynetmage
  • Reply 15 of 30
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    steven n. said:
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

Cook pulled all Apple products out of the US and EU markets? When did that happen? Or are you just making stuff up and talking out of your backside?
    A world unto himself.
    netmage
  • Reply 16 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:

I don't think Timmy ole Boy ignored other markets. For example Timmy ole Boy added that Japan proprietary NFC chip for subways and stuff which I'm sure will help Japanese users. 

And Apple Pay...
    netmageration al
  • Reply 17 of 30
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    blastdoor said:

Where would they place the eh? key?
    ration al
  • Reply 18 of 30
    sflocal said:

According to Shanghai Adups Technology, the software installed on BLU's phones was a "mistake" 
    Bullshit.  They got caught and now trying to backpedal.  Just another nail in Android's coffin.  When Apple was making news for their phones being so locked-down while Android's creator Google being so quiet?  This is why.  Android is a joke of an OS and it banks on the user's stupidity to use their crappy software.

I pity the chinese user.  China's government is so archaic, it just amazes me that the chinese population has not revolted and bring that government down.
    They did that in 1949. 
  • Reply 19 of 30
    anome said:
    blastdoor said:
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:

[...]

[…]

Didn't he claim he was boycotting Apple after the San Bernadino case? Does he have a stated policy about encryption and backdoors?
    It doesn't really matter what his stated position is - it will change soon. That's what is so scarey - we don'5 really know what the policy direction will actually be
    Soli
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Thats the major advantage of Android phones - open source - yup it open alright.
    ration al