'Designed by Apple in California' book released in $200 and $300 editions [u]

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    sog35 said:
    So this is what Tim Cook was wasting his time on instead of giving us new MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.

I'm getting sick and tired of Tim Cook's indulgent worship of the past. I can see this same attitude in the new headquarters. Instead of getting us a brand new redesigned iPhone7 we get a rehash of a 3 year old phone.  Instead of giving us a home assistant like Echo, we get this ridiculous self worshiping book that cost $300.
    Indeed... and given your comment has more dislikes than likes shows that Apple fanboys have their heads in the sand (or actually up somewhere else)... and no Mac Pro, mini upgrades.  Or they could have worked with LG and put that 5k monitor into something that doesn't look like crap.

For sure they can do this and other things... it just shows where the priorities and vision (or lack thereof) is... they're seeing their future as fashion brand... which in the short term makes sense as they can improve their margins even more... but once the Kardashians and fashionistas decide there's the next shinny brand then APPL is toast... which is pretty much the history of the companies that went down this route before (Sony, Nokia in many regards, etc)
    tallest skil
  • Reply 102 of 112
    That video was really cool. I wish they'd make a full documentary on the hardware and software teams at Apple. Also, I hope they make this available digitally at some point.. I bet it will be glorious on the iPad Pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 112
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    So this is what Tim Cook was wasting his time on instead of giving us new MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.
    So tell us Mr I can run a company better than anyone else...what processor do you expect them to use in those products? If you say use the processor thats in the new MacBook Pro for either the iMac or the MacMini thats absolutely the WRONG answer!
    Ok Mr. Arrogant fanboy time for your spanking from a designer with a EE/CompSci degree who's ex-Apple and knew both Jobs and Woz:

This decision should be a < 1 hour meeting at Apple... the only excuse is we want to milk fanboys that will drool over anything we do and accept an aging POS (could use posts from this sight as an example of that blind loyalty)

Partial examples (could be more detailed, but only have so much time to waste with fanatics):

MacPro: From Xeon E5v2 -> at least v3 (e.g. top end could be the E5-2699V3 which still fits the 145W TDP in the nMP) the v4 series is even better (and if you want obscene with price to match the 22 core E5-4669V4). Upgrade bus/RAM speeds and interfaces. Also update the ports, and the GPU/SSD really is embarrassing now... these would be fairly easy engineering tasks that even I can take on today (and I shouldn't be qualified to be a senior Apple hardware engineer).

MacMini - Any modern i7... and quad-core... that's a no brainer.

The iMac is okay so will give you that one... would like the 5k to have display target mode

• Reply 104 of 112
    LOL! It is one thing to not know how much coffee table books cost, but to suggest that this project has taken up all of Tim Cook's time is just incredible.

Remember, Tim's biggest strength is getting factories all over the world synced up with their schedule so that he doesn't even need a warehouse because they make everything on almost the exact day that it will be sold. Do you think he's stopping to squeak every time a new photo is delivered?

Now, I'll agree that this may have taken a lot of Jony's time. But I think it's probably good for everyone on his team to immerse themselves in this body of work for a while. There is a lot of design vocabulary from this era that was a little before its time and may be good candidates for reuse.
  • Reply 105 of 112
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    luvappl said:
    sog35 said:

I'm getting sick and tired of Tim Cook's indulgent worship of the past. I can see this same attitude in the new headquarters. Instead of getting us a brand new redesigned iPhone7 we get a rehash of a 3 year old phone.  Instead of giving us a home assistant like Echo, we get this ridiculous self worshiping book that cost $300.
    Indeed... and given your comment has more dislikes than likes shows that Apple fanboys have their heads in the sand (or actually up somewhere else)... and no Mac Pro, mini upgrades.  Or they could have worked with LG and put that 5k monitor into something that doesn't look like crap.

For sure they can do this and other things... it just shows where the priorities and vision (or lack thereof) is... they're seeing their future as fashion brand... which in the short term makes sense as they can improve their margins even more... but once the Kardashians and fashionistas decide there's the next shinny brand then APPL is toast... which is pretty much the history of the companies that went down this route before (Sony, Nokia in many regards, etc)
    If you're going to continue to pretend to be the computer science pro anti-fanboy, you'd better learn to spell "shiny." It's one of the cardinal words in the troll vocabulary that you have to master.
  • Reply 106 of 112
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Do we have any idea how limited edition this will be?

I'm half tempted to buy one and keep it all wrapped up as a small investment, but I suspect a double digit percentage of other buyers will be doing the exact same thing, so not convinced it'll be worth the trouble.
  • Reply 107 of 112
    Cool photo of Watch prototype. image
    1sttallest skil
  • Reply 108 of 112
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    cali said:

macxpress said:

1st said:
    sweet.  will look in the library next year... (out of reach for my budget).. will compare with IDEO and Oxford design book and learn the simple taste of beauty... 
    People still go to Libraries? :open_mouth: 
     I don't think so. Every time I go it's awfully quiet. 

(1) you went to wrong library (2) it suppose to be awfully quiet at library, if you are looking a place allow you for non-stop yapping on your phone,=wrong house..
    try those places, many more, just examples for good awfully quiet places... put your phone on airplane mode, spend half day in each and come back and telling me how do you feel (make sure you know what the topic you want to find in library to start with... aim less might gain some experience, but not as useful... you only life once, you should not waste any of your time on earth); 
    https://library.stanford.edu/
    http://www.bl.uk/
    http://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/
    http://www.metmuseum.org/art/libraries-and-research-centers
    http://library.harvard.edu/

• Reply 109 of 112
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    crowley said:
    Do we have any idea how limited edition this will be?

I'm half tempted to buy one and keep it all wrapped up as a small investment, but I suspect a double digit percentage of other buyers will be doing the exact same thing, so not convinced it'll be worth the trouble.
    If it's as "limited" as the original Edition, it'll be available for sale for over a year for anyone willing to pay the price, until they release Series 2. ;-)
  • Reply 110 of 112
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    First thought was "wow that's a pretty elaborate prank, putting together a truly beautiful, real book like that".. Ha ha, I was actually happy to learn that it was a real book. $200-300 is really odd though. A high quality art book, with state of the art prints, is usually expensive, like perhaps even $150 in the most extreme cases. But this is not cool. I'd like to have this book. I love hardware design. And if Apple was truly interested in celebrating their design, they should've brought down the price to where they could share it with many more. $79-149 or something. It would still feel really expensive, but producing high quality print books come at a price, I guess.
  • Reply 111 of 112
    racerhomie3racerhomie3 Posts: 1,264member
    macxpress said:

mac-daddy said:
    macxpress said:
    Well...my wallet is going to be $300 lighter come tomorrow. This is cool!
    $300....for a....book. Serious question, will some people buy literally anything Apple releases? 
    When its something like this...yes! This will sell very quickly. They could price it at $500 and it would sell just as well. 
    You can google every one of these pictures at anytime for free. 
    You can do the same for Billion dollar paintings & the Mona Lisa