Audi, Kia & Genesis announce new vehicles ready for Apple's CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Several automakers have announced new CarPlay-ready vehicles in anticipation of this week's Los Angeles Auto Show, among them Kia, and luxury brands Audi and Genesis.

Kia's entry is the 2017 Soul Exclaim, which has improved horsepower and mileage over other Soul models. Both CarPlay and Android Auto will come standard with the vehicle's UVO3 dash interface, and buyers will be able to upgrade to an 8-inch touchscreen.

A price and launch date aren't available, but drivers can also get CarPlay on other 2017 models of the Soul.

Audi will be supporting CarPlay and Android Auto as standard on 2018 models of the A5 and S5 Sportback, along with its Q5 SUV. All three should go on sale in spring next year.

Lastly, Genesis will have CarPlay and Android Auto on the 3.3T Sport trim of its G80 sedan. The car will arrive this spring, notably featuring a 9.2-inch touchscreen, one of the largest displays in any CarPlay-equipped vehicle.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Jeez, why is Audi being so stingy? Just do it across the line for god's sake. And make it a firmware upgrade on earlier models. 
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Wake me up when Apple implements wireless charging and the auto manufacturers implement wireless CarPlay.
    edited November 2016 clock07
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Jeez, why is Audi being so stingy? Just do it across the line for god's sake. And make it a firmware upgrade on earlier models. 
    Audi have always been like that, at least in Germany. They spend more on figuring out new tricks to screw and deceive their customers (Dieselgate). At least in the US you get some compensation, in Germany and the EU there's not a cent flowing back to the customers who were dumb enough to trust them.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    taniwha said:
    Audi have always been like that, at least in Germany. They spend more on figuring out new tricks to screw and deceive their customers (Dieselgate). At least in the US you get some compensation, in Germany and the EU there's not a cent flowing back to the customers who were dumb enough to trust them.
    CarPlay or no CarPlay, I will never buy an Audi, or VW, or Porsche after what they've done to their customers with the emissions cheating. 
    ration almacxpress
  • Reply 5 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    LOL In an article that mentions Kia and Hyundai/Genesis, VW/Audi is the company people are saying are cheats. (I don't disagree, I just find it funny.)
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Soli said:
    LOL In an article that mentions Kia and Hyundai/Genesis, VW/Audi is the company people are saying are cheats. (I don't disagree, I just find it funny.)
    Good point. But I was also responding in part based on brands that might fall within my choice set (although, I did buy my daughter a Hyundai a few years ago, and it has been really superb in terms build quality and reliability).
    Soli
  • Reply 7 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Interesting that on national TV ad, Hyundai is pointing differentiated feature of their Sonata from Toyota Camry saying we do have androidauto but not Camry. My point is now such phone connectivity became THE point of marketing/sales advertisement. Hope,Toyota and others wake up and not loose lots of car sales to 2nd tier car manufacturers because they don't have carplay/androidauto. Typically when carplay is available in vehicle, manufacturers also add androidauto.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 8 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    wood1208 said:
    Interesting that on national TV ad, Hyundai is pointing differentiated feature of their Sonata from Toyota Camry saying we do have androidauto but not Camry. My point is now such phone connectivity became THE point of marketing/sales advertisement. Hope,Toyota and others wake up and not loose lots of car sales to 2nd tier car manufacturers because they don't have carplay/androidauto. Typically when carplay is available in vehicle, manufacturers also add androidauto.

Toyota has partnered with Ford to use SmartLink instead of choosing to support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. Dumb move on their part! They will eventually be forced to support it as they'll end up being one of the only (if not the only) manufacturer that doesn't support both. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/01/04/toyota-chooses-ford-over-apple-will-eschew-carplay-in-favor-of-smartdevicelink
    edited November 2016 Soli
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Wireless chrging please, the whole industry is about to narrow down its focus on wireless + transistor tech. Only two areas to cover - how many degrees do they in general require to make it work ? Transport and communication field, is that too much deliver ?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    clock07 said:
    Wireless chrging please, the whole industry is about to narrow down its focus on wireless + transistor tech. Only two areas to cover - how many degrees do they in general require to make it work ? Transport and communication field, is that too much deliver ?
    Ask Samsung...its not as easy as you make it out to be. If it were that simple, everyone would have had it years ago.

Also, until they make it so I don't need to have a special case on my phone I don't want it. I want to be able to choose my own case still, not some proprietary case just for wireless charging. 
  • Reply 11 of 12
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    Funny ref emissions comments. Did anyone actually ever buy a car because it claimed to emit less, except for reasons of reducing associated taxes?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    samtsamt Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    taniwha said:
    CarPlay or no CarPlay, I will never buy an Audi, or VW, or Porsche after what they've done to their customers with the emissions cheating. 
    Ha! as Trump would say, they weren't cheating, they were being smart!