Everything you need to know about USB-C & Thunderbolt 3 on Apple's new MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Does anyone know how to sync a 12.9 inch iPad Pro at USB3 speeds?  This article says the USB3 to Lightning cable can only do 2.0 speeds.  The SD card adapter and USB camera adapter can do USB3 speeds but from what I've heard the USB camera adapter can't be used to sync the iPad at USB3 speeds.  This seemingly simple task (when dealing with 128GB iPad) should be able to happen at USB3 speeds so when I'm moving movies from iTunes to my iPad for travel, it doesn't take forever.  Any suggestions?
  • Reply 22 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Catoctin said:
    Does anyone know how to sync a 12.9 inch iPad Pro at USB3 speeds?  This article says the USB3 to Lightning cable can only do 2.0 speeds.  The SD card adapter and USB camera adapter can do USB3 speeds but from what I've heard the USB camera adapter can't be used to sync the iPad at USB3 speeds.  This seemingly simple task (when dealing with 128GB iPad) should be able to happen at USB3 speeds so when I'm moving movies from iTunes to my iPad for travel, it doesn't take forever.  Any suggestions?
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/03/21/faster-usb-3-charging-file-transfers-are-exclusive-to-apples-129-ipad-pro
  • Reply 23 of 36
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Soli said:
    Bipositonal, not omnidirectional. The 3.5mm headphone jack is omnidircectional because it's a cylindrical design.
    Well, it is in a single axis of rotation, not in the other two.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    So if I understand this correctly, (and maybe I don't) my current retina MBP can transfer to my 12" iPad Pro at USB3 but this new one can only do it at USB2 speeds via USB-C? 
  • Reply 25 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    Soli said:
    Bipositonal, not omnidirectional. The 3.5mm headphone jack is omnidircectional because it's a cylindrical design.
    Not forgetting that the second line of the article says 'unidirectional'.

I'd say the 3.5'm IS unidirectional, though (as opposed to omnidirectional). It can only be inserted in one direction. But then again, as noted, for USB, I suppose it's a question of position rather than direction (in the context of USB connectors) :-) 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 26 of 36
    The piece is informative but who wrote it? 

It says 'I' in one spot so I assume it wasn't a group effort.

Information aside, it reads as Apple PR, side stepping some of the politics involved and glossing over other prickly elements. I would have preferred the information without the opinion seeing as the piece doesn't have an author.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Donvermo said:
    So much for "Universal" in "USB" if the cables all have different capabilities, but look virtually the same.
    It's the same complaint that I have with USB-C right now, the problem has been moved from the ports to the cables. The upside to all of this is that all we need to do is transition to a state where we only have USB-C ports and cables that support the full spec. The downside is that right now the average non-IT consumer will not be able to understand why a certain port will work with just a specific cable but not with the other while the plugs are exactly the same.
    Yes. As things stand, it is one complete cabling mess. The use of one port just compounds the problem for the average user.

One thing I haven't seen much iinformation on, is how much damage dodgy cables can do to the machine. We recently had a situation where many certified iDevice accessories (cables included) on Amazon were found not to be certified.

No doubt we will see something similar happen with these cables. If they are cheap and don't work, it's one thing, but.If theyes cause physical damage that's another.
    baconstang
  • Reply 28 of 36
    sockrolid said:
    Did you notice how quickly the "Apple isn't innovating!" crowd changed its tune to "Apple is disrupting the comfortable status quo!"? 
    Maybe not the same crowd.  
    But they crawled out from under the same rock.
    Seeing as the article is unsigned it would have been better to omit all the 'opinion' and stick to the facts.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    I see the piece is by Dilger (from the main page). I came to the article via the discussions forum where the author isn't specified beyond 'Appleinsider'.

• Reply 30 of 36
    I am mostly a PC guy. My laptop only has 1 USB3C/Thunderbolt connector. 4 would be fantastic. 
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Actually, the one thing I wanted to know, and which Apple has been silent on so far, is whether Apple will be producing Thunderbolt3 versions of their Thunderbolt to legacy port adapters (such as Thunderbolt to Firewire800), or if those of us wanting to use Migration Assistant to migrate data from Pre 2011 Macs or Pre 2013 Mac Pros will need to purchase Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt2 and Thunderbolt2 to Firewire800 adapters.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    longpath said:
    Actually, the one thing I wanted to know, and which Apple has been silent on so far, is whether Apple will be producing Thunderbolt3 versions of their Thunderbolt to legacy port adapters (such as Thunderbolt to Firewire800), or if those of us wanting to use Migration Assistant to migrate data from Pre 2011 Macs or Pre 2013 Mac Pros will need to purchase Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt2 and Thunderbolt2 to Firewire800 adapters.
    You say that like you don't already have a Thunderbolt 2 to FW 800 adapter. If you've been migrating enough Macs to even ask the question, my guess is you've already been doing FW800 to TB2.

Even if this is some random, one-off need, I'd be shocked if a 3rd party doesn't step in with specialty adapters.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 33 of 36
    No sure but I think you can use ethernet for the migration assistant too....so on the new MacBook pros you could maybe do with an ethernet adapter which seems like many people may have or want to have around when wifi is not available or is jammed up.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macdarren said:
    No sure but I think you can use ethernet for the migration assistant too.
    You can.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    polymnia said:
    longpath said:
    You say that like you don't already have a Thunderbolt 2 to FW 800 adapter. If you've been migrating enough Macs to even ask the question, my guess is you've already been doing FW800 to TB2.

Even if this is some random, one-off need, I'd be shocked if a 3rd party doesn't step in with specialty adapters.
    In the office, I have such adapters; but for my upcoming personal purchase, I have not needed such an adapter, as my extant MBP 13" is from 2010. I am not about to "borrow" company hardware for personal use, so that leaves me needing this capability for the one shot use of Migration Assistant, which is why I pursued the question.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    longpath said:
    polymnia said:
    longpath said:

In the office, I have such adapters; but for my upcoming personal purchase, I have not needed such an adapter, as my extant MBP 13" is from 2010. I am not about to "borrow" company hardware for personal use, so that leaves me needing this capability for the one shot use of Migration Assistant, which is why I pursued the question.
    Why wouldn't you borrow the adapters? Or bring you new MBP in to the office with you to run Migration assistant? You are just trying to stir up controversy.