Apple automatically uploading iPhone call logs to iCloud, forensics firm says [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Completely agree that Apple's stance on privacy is ridiculous. Because they aren't honest and open. They boast -for marketing reasons no doubt - and then they caught red handed doing things 'for convenience - whether it be iMessage technical logs ("to help troubleshooting") or these call syncing. What Happens if you ONLY own an Iphone? Why woul d you want that data syncing? Why isnt it off by default? or clearly labeled? of course, it's not. LIke the rest of teh BS.

And to conclude: they really wanted to do a good job of protecting customer date: they could by not theselves hold the iCloud backup keys

I also think Most customers dont really want this obsession. For a start MOST Apple customers using iOS are ALSO Google customers too, and many will be Facebook users. So if their beliefs were so strong...   (which reminds me: Why does Apple continue to take money for Google to make Google teh default search engine, if they're SO opposed to the way they treat customers privacy?)
  • Reply 22 of 49
    This week I realized I could make and receive phone calls on my cellular iPad ( using its cellular connection ) with my iPhone turned off. However text messages on my iPad require the iPhone to be powered on, and connected to either cellular or wifi. This is a great feature and I'm pretty sure someone will say it's a security risk. Wifi calling and calls on other devices used to require the iPhone near by either in wifi range or Bluetooth range, and apparently that is no longer the case. Who cares if your reception sucks. Just get a $20 iPad plan on AT&T and carry around your iPad mini too! Oh wifi is everywhere and no one needs a cellular iPad.. what a bunch of crap
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 23 of 49
    sog35 said:
    wdowell said:
    Completely agree that Apple's stance on privacy is ridiculous. Because they aren't honest and open. They boast -for marketing reasons no doubt - and then they caught red handed doing things 'for convenience - whether it be iMessage technical logs ("to help troubleshooting") or these call syncing. What Happens if you ONLY own an Iphone? Why woul d you want that data syncing? Why isnt it off by default? or clearly labeled? of course, it's not. LIke the rest of teh BS.

And to conclude: they really wanted to do a good job of protecting customer date: they could by not theselves hold the iCloud backup keys

I also think Most customers dont really want this obsession. For a start MOST Apple customers using iOS are ALSO Google customers too, and many will be Facebook users. So if their beliefs were so strong...   (which reminds me: Why does Apple continue to take money for Google to make Google teh default search engine, if they're SO opposed to the way they treat customers privacy?)
    Agree 100%

Its PURE HYPOCRACY that Timid Tim brags about privacy yet................Google is still the default search app on 100% of iOS devices. If Tim was honest then DuckDuckGo would be the default search.

sog35, consider yourself warned -- you will not be allowed to continue domination of this thread!

lostkiwiration albaconstangpscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Really sucks when you block a poster to stop seeing all their garbage, and they get quoted ad nauseam so you end up seeing it anyway. 
    waverboyroundaboutnowrhinotufflostkiwipscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 49
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    wdowell said:

Agree 100%

Its PURE HYPOCRACY that Timid Tim brags about privacy yet................Google is still the default search app on 100% of iOS devices. If Tim was honest then DuckDuckGo would be the default search.

sog35, consider yourself warned -- you will not be allowed to continue domination of this thread!

is not this topic about privacy?

I don't get it. I'm not going off topic
    Everything you post in this forum is about how you hate Tim Cook. It really gets tiring after a while. Its seriously annoying the majority of users here. You're never going to get anywhere with it here so why do you keep turning every thread into a I hate Tim Cook conversation? You never post about much of anything here unless its something you can turn as a fault of Tim Cook and how he should be fired. 
    edited November 2016 waverboyroundaboutnowlostkiwiration albaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 49
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    wdowell said:

Agree 100%

Everything you post in this forum is about how you hate Tim Cook. It really gets tiring after a while. Its seriously annoying the majority of users here. You're never going to get anywhere with it here so why do you keep turning every thread into a I hate Tim Cook conversation? You never post about much of anything here unless its something you can turn as a fault of Tim Cook and how he should be fired. 
    the fact is Tim Cook is now the face of Apple.
    The buck stops with Tim Cook. PERIOD.

So if something bad happens it lands on Tim Cook's head.  And things have been BAD for Apple lately. Stock is down 20% from its highs. iPhone sales DOWN, iPad sales DOWN, Mac sales DOWN, Watch sales DOWN. China sales down 40%. So much negative press about the new macbooks. I mean what can I say?

Is this all Tim Cooks fault? of course not. But he is the LEADER of Apple. He is ultimately responsible. So its ultimately his fault.

When Apple sales were up you weren't hearing me complain about Cook. But the fact is Cook and Apple has underperformed MASSIVELY the last 12 months. 
    We get your point...you don't need to tell us in every single post and thats pretty much all you do. I'm not gonna say anymore as to not hijack this thread. 
    edited November 2016 roundaboutnowlostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 49
    sog35 said:
    good.

I'm sick and tired of Tim Cook's stance on privacy.

The hell with privacy. The truth is 99% of the population don't care about privacy. They just want a good product at a good price.

Its time for Apple to go head first into Advertising and Data collection ala Facebook/Google.

But one of Cook's pillars is privacy, so he would have egg whites all over his face.

That's why Cook needs to be replaced with a savy, practical, and ruthless CEO.  Cook is more fit to be a CEO of a non-profit or charity organization. His stance on privacy has literally costed Apple HUNDREDS of BILLIONS in profits.

Cook has all these pie in the sky ideals - privacy, diversity, gay rights, ect. Fine and dandy. But a CEO of the worlds most powerful company should not have its hands tied because of following those ideals. Cook should keep his personal values SEPERATE from the corporations values. All Apple should be about is providing the BEST PRODUCTS and SERVICES.......period.  If this means less diversity, less privacy, ect. so be it.
    It sounds like you need to sell your stock and buy Samsung.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 49
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    wdowell said:

Agree 100%

the fact is Tim Cook is now the face of Apple.
    The buck stops with Tim Cook. PERIOD.

So if something bad happens it lands on Tim Cook's head.  And things have been BAD for Apple lately. Stock is down 20% from its highs. iPhone sales DOWN, iPad sales DOWN, Mac sales DOWN, Watch sales DOWN. China sales down 40%. So much negative press about the new macbooks. I mean what can I say?

Is this all Tim Cooks fault? of course not. But he is the LEADER of Apple. He is ultimately responsible. So its ultimately his fault.

When Apple sales were up you weren't hearing me complain about Cook. But the fact is Cook and Apple has underperformed MASSIVELY the last 12 months. 
    There is a difference between fault, and his problem.  A reason iPhone sales are down is because they are down year on year, when massive sales were a result of the iPhone 6.  The long term isn't nearly as newsworthy.  

Have they underperformed?  Against what measure?  Perhaps if you only have short-termism point of view.  Long term, they aren't underperforming, they are in a major transition after massive sales increases.  The future is bright.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 49

sog35 said:
    sog35 said:

Cook is stuck with 1995 thinking. Data collecting is not evil. Adversting is not evil. As long as the data is kept safe and anonymous its fine. People are willing to sacrifice some privacy for awesome services that make their life more productive and enjoyable. Its time for Apple to wake up and stop their extreme privacy stance.
    !00% wrong.  Data collection is EVIL. Just look at what the likes of Google and Amazon do with your data.
    I made a decision years ago to never sign up to any Google service NOT to any Social Media site. The less they know about you the better.
    If you google for me using my name, you find other people with my name but not me. That means I'm not the product.
    There is a reason that the Military uses the term 'Need to know'.
    Advertising is also evil. It sets out to make you buy stuff that you don't want or can't afford using a weakness in the human psyche. And yes I did spend 4 years working for an Ad company. IT was there that I reached my opinion about it.
    If I get a 'targetted' advert (I'm looking at you Amazon) then I ignore it and buy something else (or nothing at all).
    So Sog35 why don't you leave this place and go over to the Google place where you will be amongst friends and you can slag off Apple to your hearts content and get upvoted for it. You obviously hate everything about Apple and have done for some time. time to quit.

I respect your viewpoint about advertising and data collection.
    But the fact is you are the minority.

Facebook Used on 86 Percent of iOS Devices

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Facebook-iOS-Android-Google-Apple,news-16588.html

Top Apps on iOS
    https://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/top/

#1Facebook Messenger,
    #2 Facebook,
    #3 Youtube,
    #4 Snapchat,
    #5 Instagram,
    #6  Google Maps......................come on. The majority of iOS users don't care about privacy.

I hate Apple? So why the hell do I have 1000 shares in the company?

And just because Amazon/Google/FB abuse the data they collect does not mean Apple has too.
    They can collect data, profit from it, and benefit the customer WITHOUT abusing it.
    Again - your comparing selling us devices vs running social networks.  They are different things.  It's the same as saying Proctor and Gamble are failing because they aren't using massive data collection about how I shave, or wash my clothes.  They cannot be compared.

Compare what Apple are doing with what Google are doing with ANDROID, rather than their ad sales. This is an equitable comparison.  Apple comes out on top don't they?  Otherwise you'd be using Android.
    lostkiwijibberj
  • Reply 30 of 49
    haar said:
    One problem, the  handset is uncrackable...  The cloud back up is not!...  Apple will handover the cloud data with a court order ... and that data is decrypted easily.  (And A iphone handset is uncrackable Because you can't get to the data) 

THEY WILL NOT DECRYPT A HANDSET...  but they will handover the iCloud data.  And the NSA has capabilities to decrypt that data...
     So it looks like you will have to turn off iCloud back ups if you don't want your call logs to end up in the wrong hands...
    You too will handover your past phone bills with a court order. They are even unencrypted.
    ration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 49
    I used to think sog's arguments unpersuasive until I got hit with his ALL CAPS. Once I read those ALL CAP words I completely changed my mind. Very persuasive. /S/
    rhinotufflostkiwibaconstangpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 49
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Non-story by someone needing some free publicity for their company.

You know who else keeps a record of your calls? Your carrier. And you don't have any ability to opt-out of their tracking under any circumstances. And who knows how long they keep those records. I've looked at year-old detailed cell phone bills and seen all the numbers for incoming and outgoing calls.

Edited. Forgot one more thing. Carriers also track which cell towers your phone connects to.
    Yep, have to agree, as soon as I saw the headline I said no kidding, how do you think the whole continuance feature works. I bring up face time on my mac, Ipad and iphone and guess what they all have the call history.
    lostkiwiration al
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Really sucks when you block a poster to stop seeing all their garbage, and they get quoted ad nauseam so you end up seeing it anyway. 

Yeah, It would be nice if the forum software would filter the posts removing the context of quotes of people on your ban list.

But it can be done manually -- on a recent thread I deleted the text from all of sog35's posts.

If I ban him, I'll clean up his posts on this thread!

ration alpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 49
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:
    good.

The hell with privacy. The truth is 99% of the population don't care about privacy. They just want a good product at a good price.

Its time for Apple to go head first into Advertising and Data collection ala Facebook/Google.

But one of Cook's pillars is privacy, so he would have egg whites all over his face.

That's why Cook needs to be replaced with a savy, practical, and ruthless CEO.  Cook is more fit to be a CEO of a non-profit or charity organization. His stance on privacy has literally costed Apple HUNDREDS of BILLIONS in profits.

Cook has all these pie in the sky ideals - privacy, diversity, gay rights, ect. Fine and dandy. But a CEO of the worlds most powerful company should not have its hands tied because of following those ideals. Cook should keep his personal values SEPERATE from the corporations values. All Apple should be about is providing the BEST PRODUCTS and SERVICES.......period.  If this means less diversity, less privacy, ect. so be it.

Some days I think you get it and other days I am not sure, this is an not so sure day.

This has nothing to do with your privacy, since no one but you know this information, Apple is not looking at or selling this information to anyone else. They are just facilitating the moving of information from one device to another.

Also, I do care about what a company does with information about my personal habits, so your 99% comment is not accurate, there are some people willing to trade personal information for free stuff and we know there are whole societies and culturals who value free over anything else. But it is like they use to say, no one care when the Nazi went after they own people, and no one carred when they went after the Jewish but when they came knocking on their door and it was a different story. Those people who claim not to care about their personal privacy, have not see the down side of their lack of carrying.

Since you do not care about your privacy, I'll send you a PM and you can share with me your user account information and passwords and while you are at it your banking information, since you can surely trust me.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 49
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    It doesn't matter if users value it or not. That's the least of it. As a fundamental right, it is there and rightly so.

sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    good.

Personal and Corporate values may overlap. Privacy is a fundamental right. Protecting privacy isn't only a question of values but legislation. The problem is that legislation will always trail technological advances. Just look at the problem of drones and privacy. 
    But Apple customers don't give 2 sheets about privacy.

90-95% of iOS users either are on Facebook or use Google services. That is a FACT.

Yet Apple sacrifices literally TENS of BILLIONS of dollars because of their ridiculous stance on privacy.

IMO, I'd rather have Apple be the custodian of my information than Google/Facebook. I want Apple to start their versions of Facebook/Google so they can rake in BILLIONS and also keep that data away from Google/FB.

Bottom line is people will be using social media and sites that require data collection. With or without Apple. So it makes ZERO sense for Apple to be stubborn and not participate. 

Cook is actually hurting iOS customers because he is forcing them to use Google/FB instead of an Apple run equilvelent.

Cook is stuck with 1995 thinking. Data collecting is not evil. Adversting is not evil. As long as the data is kept safe and anonymous its fine. People are willing to sacrifice some privacy for awesome services that make their life more productive and enjoyable. Its time for Apple to wake up and stop their extreme privacy s
    I never said Apple should break the law regarding privacy

But they should remove their extreme privacy stance.

iOS users have spoken. They don't care about privacy aka 90-95% of iOS users use Facebook/Google
    Using Facebook/Google and caring about privacy are not mutually exclusive.  

I use Facebook sometimes, I have to - everyone I know is there.  It doesn't mean I can't care about privacy.  I do very much.  When presented with a choice, I use iOS because of many things but one of those things is that I can enjoy all the advantages of the latest technology without Apple knowing my every move.  I am the customer, not the corporations looking to advertise. That's important to me, and I suspect the majority of Apple customers.
    You are in the minority.

But if Apple did start a Facebook/Google like service you could do the same thing. Opt out of the data collecting features.

I and most Apple users probably would feel more comfortable with Apple collecting our data then Facebook/Google. That's why its so important that Apple start these services (adversting, data collection, social). Because now we don't have a choice. Its either give your data to FB/Google or be left out. I want a third choice, and that's Apple being the custodian of my data.
    You forgot to mention that 90-95% of iOS users don't care about privacy in this one...   That's a cool made-up fact.  I bet 90-95% of AI readers don't care about SOG's opinion  (I feel like that number is quite a bit lower than actual though).  The fact of the matter is, if you've ever broken your phone while traveling, it is great to do an icloud restore and have all of that information available to you, call history, text history etc.  If the NSA wants to get a court order, it's all data they could get from the cell carrier anyway, so it's a non-issue to the vast majority (probably 90-95% of people...)
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 49
    sog35 said:
    good.

You clearly don't understand A: The implications of a privacy free world B: How multi-device interactivity needs to work.

iCloud is the BEST option. Put it this way how many NON-security firm employed people have even found these logs? The only reason these logs were found was because people looking to exploit the system were digging deep to find them.

Cook's stance on privacy has NOT cost the company billions. Do you even pay attention to the financial calls each month/year? Clearly not because the money being lost is not because of privacy it's because of saturated markets and ALL manufacturers are in this position.

Apple is looking after the customer. You clearly don't care about the customer. I worked for a company like that and I hated everything about them. They were like you and cared only about the shareholders but it's a retarded (I use this word in it's proper use) ideology because if you don't look after the customer they go elsewhere and then where does the money come from for those idiot shareholders who are simply there to get money for nothing?

Apple is a great company and their products continue to get more and more amazing. If you can't see the potential of the technology Apple has been releasing then do the world a favour and shut your pie hole because no one wants to hear your non-sensical dribble.
    lostkiwiration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 49
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    It doesn't matter if users value it or not. That's the least of it. As a fundamental right, it is there and rightly so.

sog35 said:
    avon b7 said:
    sog35 said:
    good.

Personal and Corporate values may overlap. Privacy is a fundamental right. Protecting privacy isn't only a question of values but legislation. The problem is that legislation will always trail technological advances. Just look at the problem of drones and privacy. 
    But Apple customers don't give 2 sheets about privacy.

90-95% of iOS users either are on Facebook or use Google services. That is a FACT.

Yet Apple sacrifices literally TENS of BILLIONS of dollars because of their ridiculous stance on privacy.

IMO, I'd rather have Apple be the custodian of my information than Google/Facebook. I want Apple to start their versions of Facebook/Google so they can rake in BILLIONS and also keep that data away from Google/FB.

Bottom line is people will be using social media and sites that require data collection. With or without Apple. So it makes ZERO sense for Apple to be stubborn and not participate. 

Cook is actually hurting iOS customers because he is forcing them to use Google/FB instead of an Apple run equilvelent.

Cook is stuck with 1995 thinking. Data collecting is not evil. Adversting is not evil. As long as the data is kept safe and anonymous its fine. People are willing to sacrifice some privacy for awesome services that make their life more productive and enjoyable. Its time for Apple to wake up and stop their extreme privacy s
    I never said Apple should break the law regarding privacy

But they should remove their extreme privacy stance.

iOS users have spoken. They don't care about privacy aka 90-95% of iOS users use Facebook/Google
    Using Facebook/Google and caring about privacy are not mutually exclusive.  

I use Facebook sometimes, I have to - everyone I know is there.  It doesn't mean I can't care about privacy.  I do very much.  When presented with a choice, I use iOS because of many things but one of those things is that I can enjoy all the advantages of the latest technology without Apple knowing my every move.  I am the customer, not the corporations looking to advertise. That's important to me, and I suspect the majority of Apple customers.
    You are in the minority.

But if Apple did start a Facebook/Google like service you could do the same thing. Opt out of the data collecting features.

I and most Apple users probably would feel more comfortable with Apple collecting our data then Facebook/Google. That's why its so important that Apple start these services (adversting, data collection, social). Because now we don't have a choice. Its either give your data to FB/Google or be left out. I want a third choice, and that's Apple being the custodian of my data.
    How do you know I am in the minority?  What empirical research have you done.  I'd love to see it.
    All in all, do I want to be advertised to? No.  What has that got to do with the device I use?  It shouldn't.  However, as I'm the customer I choose to pay for my device, not have the OS development underwritten by advertising revenue.  This is my choice, and I do have a choice.  Whether I run Facebook or Google services on top of this device is another choice.  Do I like them profiling me against all those little 'Like' buttons on EVERY web page in existence.  No.  So I block them, like so many other people - with an ad blocker.  The same for those Google + buttons, and Google's ad network.  All blocked.  I am exercising my right to privacy as best as I am able.  I can't think of any Google services which I must use because they are significantly better than non-Google services which give me more privacy.  Not one.  My privacy is in good shape and I'm missing nothing by insisting on it.
    Your privacy is likely in lousy shape. Your online persona (at least what someone like Google would know) lacks details about you. Factually Google doesnt' even know for absolutely certain if it IS you using o0ne of their services. Could be a family member, co-worker or friend. But your pharmacy, insurance company, credit card company, employer, credit bureau, and to a lesser extent shopping sites/stores and cellular providers have access to the real you. They also sell what they know whether you are aware of it or not. All those companies are very happy for you to focus on Facebook, who probably knows more private personal information than any other social sites, and Google so that we can all imagine that our choice of cellphone provider has us protected. It's a mirage. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 38 of 49
    Sog35 some simple concepts for you to consider, NEITHER YOU NORE ANY PERSON HERE OR ANYWHERE ELS ON THE NET HAS THE SLIGHTEST POWER TO FIRE TIM COOK, IF THE APPLE BOARD DON'T WISH IT SO, COMPLAINING HERE IS FUTILE AND A GREAT ANNOYANCE TO 90-95% OF US HERE
    rhinotuffration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Golly a lot of Trump supporters on this thread. What planet are you on? The day Apple gives up on security is the day that many many non US iphone users give up on Apple. No one who has any interest in the safety and security of his and his clients' data, a legal imperative in many jurisdictions, would consider using iCloud or use a system that was not as secure as was available. From the point of view of anyone who is not a US citizen (and in reality even for them) iCloud is hugely insecure. It is in Apple's and our long term interest that Cook stands up to intrusive, unconstitutional and immoral snooping into everyone's private business.
    baconstang
  • Reply 40 of 49
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Well duh!

How else would your call logs sync???
    baconstang