Apple's new high-end OLED 2017 iPhone expected to feature 5.1"-5.2" display

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Apple is widely expected to introduce a new premium iPhone model in 2017 featuring an all-new design and OLED display, but the screen will be sized somewhere in between the current iPhone and iPhone Plus, according to one well-connected insider.

"iPhone 8" concept by Veniamin Geskin.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities issued a research note on Thursday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, in which he claimed that Apple's OLED iPhone will feature a screen size of either 5.1 or 5.2 inches. It will be released alongside new iPhone models with traditional LCD panels sized at 4.7 and 5.5 inches.

According to Kuo, Apple plans to buy flexible OLED panels from Samsung sized at 5.7 or 5.8 inches. But the actual active area on the flagship iPhone will be smaller, in the 5.1- to 5.2-inch range.

The OLED iPhone will feature "significant changes in form factor," Kuo said, and will boast specifications "considerably better" than the LCD models. This means that despite having a smaller screen than the 5.5-inch iPhone Plus model, the OLED version will be the most high-end model.

Kuo still expects form factor modifications for the 4.7- and 5.5-inch versions. But the primary change will be a switch to a glass casing instead of metal, he said.

Concept rendering of next-gen iPhone with edge-to-edge display.

The analyst expects robust growth for iPhone shipments following the introduction of new designs in late 2017. He expects total shipments in fiscal 2017 will reach 220 million to 225 million units, versus 212 million units in 2016.

A key concern appears to be supply of OLED panels -- numerous reports have indicated that the availability of OLED displays could limit production of the new flagship model in 2017.

Earlier this week, Kuo indicated that both the 5.5-inch Plus and slightly smaller OLED "iPhone 8" will feature dual-camera systems. But it is not expected that the 2017 4.7-inch "iPhone 7s" will gain a second camera, as was introduced on the iPhone 7 Plus.

The flagship OLED iPhone is believed to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Apple's revolutionary handset. Reports have suggested the design shakeup will enable Apple to embed key features -- including the FaceTime camera, earpiece and Touch ID fingerprint sensor -- beneath the display, boasting a truly seamless edge-to-edge design.
brakken

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    lukeilukei Posts: 379member
    This man no doubt earns several hundred thousand dollars, maybe over a million for such twaddle. What a time to be alive. 
    SpamSandwichjay-targonaut
  • Reply 2 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    I doubt but if any truth than how Apple will position the price of OLED 5.1" iPhone ?
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 3 of 21
    The latest news was "not enough OLED"
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/11/17/report-reconfirms-2017-oled-iphone-to-be-limited-by-panel-supplier-yields

Then how that third model with OLED came out? 

This is the way MCK is trying to rectify his predictions. Instead of saying directly, "no OLED only classic design" he says "OLED but as a third model along with the classic ones". Then in a month or so he will say "OLED iPhone pushed to 2020" so we will finally understand that 2017 iPhone 7s will be the classic design with no OLED in sight.

MCK works for Samsung but he always disguises his Samsung evangelisms as Apple predictions.
    edited November 2016 SpamSandwichwatto_cobraindyfx
  • Reply 4 of 21
    "...according to one well-connected insider."

Still? 
    Metriacanthosauruslolliverindyfx
  • Reply 5 of 21
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    BREAKING NEWS --- The 2017 iPhone will debut sometime in 2017.
    jay-tMetriacanthosaurusnetmagehoodslideivanhlolliverwatto_cobrafrantisekindyfx
  • Reply 6 of 21
    This guy doesn't have a clue. He's just guessing based on whatever rumor comes his way. And he seems to be publishing more and more "research notes". I swear we get something from him weekly now. Ridiculous. I wish rumor sites would quiet publishing every word he utters.
    gilly017
  • Reply 7 of 21
    strange as they sounds, I see a pattern between this rumor and the rumored 10.9 inch no-bezel Ipad

• Reply 8 of 21
    Future predictions are not Ming's strong suit. Go back over time and see how he revises his claims monthly on the back of the rumor mill, until it gets closer to a launch. It's not until the new product is final and prototypes/early units are being made that he gets a close enough whiff.

This nonsense he's spewing now is a guess based on the fact that the Plus model seems to have sold really well this year. This allows him to postulate (again) that Apple will offer a premium model. They didn't do it last year and they aren't doing it next year. 

There will always be size/price/feature tiers. It doesn't make any of them a standout "PREMIUM". They need to knock this off.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    sog35 said:
    hucom2000 said:
    "Breaking"? Give me a break...
    I'm fairly certain none of the AI staff have any actual media training or degrees. they just slap up terms and labels, playing at journalism. the site also doesnt have developers. its basically a click/ad machine owned by one guy and employing a small number of people (likely not full-time) to generate content. thats my feel anyway.
    man, don't be so mean.

This site is pretty good. You don't need a degree or media training to run a great site.

The fact is AI has to pay its bills.

Actually, I have a degree in journalism and worked in print for years before I started working at AI. Future comments disparaging the site or its hard working staff will also result in bans. It's a clear violation of our commenting guidelines. If anyone has a problem with our editorial policies (including the use of a "breaking" tag for a story that is of great interest to the vast majority of our readers — most of whom do not comment), you are welcome to start a separate thread discussing it.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/184333/appleinsiders-updated-commenting-guidelines/p1
    patchythepiratetyler82bb-15gilly017lolliverbrakken
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    For what it's worth, I have a degree in physical chemistry, a minor in journalism, 24 years of technical writing experience, a stint in nuclear power in the U.S. Navy, and first certified Apple service in 1989 at the tender age of 19 and a number of times in between.
    edited November 2016 nhughesgilly017lolliver
  • Reply 11 of 21
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    To go to home screen you simply shout HOME!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    nhughes said:
    sog35 said:
    hucom2000 said:
    I'm fairly certain none of the AI staff have any actual media training or degrees. they just slap up terms and labels, playing at journalism. the site also doesnt have developers. its basically a click/ad machine owned by one guy and employing a small number of people (likely not full-time) to generate content. thats my feel anyway.
    man, don't be so mean.

This site is pretty good. You don't need a degree or media training to run a great site.

Actually, I have a degree in journalism and worked in print for years before I started working at AI. Future comments disparaging the site or its hard working staff will also result in bans. It's a clear violation of our commenting guidelines. If anyone has a problem with our editorial policies (including the use of a "breaking" tag for a story that is of great interest to the vast majority of our readers — most of whom do not comment), you are welcome to start a separate thread discussing it.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/184333/appleinsiders-updated-commenting-guidelines/p1
    Lol...Sog needs to be banned again to wake up. He never appreciated anything even this site which he posted in every day!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    5.1" iPhone may be a special edition for 10 year anniversary only. It could be a 1-time deal. However, I would take it over 5.5" to improve 1-hand use!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    fallenjt said:
    nhughes said:
    sog35 said:
    hucom2000 said:
    man, don't be so mean.

Lol...Sog needs to be banned again to wake up. He never appreciated anything even this site which he posted in every day!
    Sog wasn't the OP.
    gilly017lolliver
  • Reply 15 of 21
    What's the good of a new phone when the stock keyboard prediction bar has white lettering on light grey background making it difficult to see. 
    Get the basics right first! 
  • Reply 16 of 21
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    IMHO, please make the real new phone not look like the above image... thx. 
    gilly017
  • Reply 17 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Why would Apple buy 5.8" size OLED to install and use only 5.1" for active screen area ? Mr. MING is confused by bad information supplied to him from up and down (stream).
  • Reply 18 of 21
    wood1208 said:
    Why would Apple buy 5.8" size OLED to install and use only 5.1" for active screen area ? Mr. MING is confused by bad information supplied to him from up and down (stream).
    Just a guess, but maybe an upper (0.3") and lower (0.3") portion will be used for contextual shortcuts. Kind of like a Touch Bar for iPhone
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I love the 5.5" screen size, but I'd get a smaller one if it has extra-amazing design and tech!
    I'm really hoping the iPhone Pro (hazarding a guess at names - sounds better than either 8 or 7S ;) is a step up like iPad Pro was from Air!

• Reply 20 of 21
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    A glass case to replace metal ??  WTF iPhones are fragile enough already.