Apple activates iPhone 6 Plus repair program to address 'touch disease'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    My iPhone has touch disease, it's good to see I'm not the only person suffering from that grey bar. 
  • Reply 22 of 44
    sog35 said:
    This is what I thought.

Now all you CLOWNS CAN STFU WITH YOUR TOUCH DISEASE. 

I knew it all along it was idiots abusing their phones that caused this. No duh, your display will be messed up if you keep dropping it and sitting your BIG ASS on the phone. Dumb asses.

How do I know? Because I have a 6+ and its running PERFECTLY.

Now you CLOWNS CAN SHUT THE FUC UP ONCE AND FOR ALL
    Right so if yours is fine that means nobody else could legitimately have s problem. So why is Apple even offering this repair program if it's just user error?
  • Reply 23 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    1. We don’t know what’s going on. Just because iFixit claims to know doesn’t mean it’s true. Apple says otherwise.

2. We have no idea how many devices are involved. The Internet is a short wave radio with no squelch knob.

3. Lawyers will sue at the drop of the hat. They actually advertise for “victims.”
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Apple has determined that some iPhone 6 Plus devices may exhibit display flickering or Multi-Touch issues after being dropped multiple times on a hard surface and then incurring further stress on the device," the company said.

Open and shut. It couldn't be clearer or more reasonable. 

ericthehalfbee
  • Reply 25 of 44
    curta said:
    I have a Samsung S4 and I have dropped it probably 50 times on hard concrete, it still works perfectly. It goes to show how cheaply designed/fragile Apple products are. I was considering getting an IPhone 6 Plus but now I realize it's not worth the money!!! Like every other Apple product... It is not worth the money! I've never bought an Apple product in my life and probably never will.

Your S4's touch technology is also vastly inferior to that of the 6 or 6S.

mwhite
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Apple just stomped out all those class action lawsuits with this announcement. There's no manufacturing defect or coverup by Apple. Just a small number of devices that suffered a breakdown from abuse.
    say what..? This is a serious design defect, I'm not a huge proponent of class actions but in this case they do have merit.

I'm on my third six plus - I bought the largest storage version (i.e. most expensive), fortunately together with AppleCare. I've never dropped an iPhone, they've not been squished. This response from apple is an aggressive response to the lawsuits to imply it's happened only to careless iPhone users who phones were dropped. I'm happy for users who don't have this issue, but I can tell you it's a real issue that for me started after about 9 months.

I feel sorry for the six plus purchasers who had the problem shortly after a year, and were asked to pony up something like $250 for a replacement device.

No, the class actions aren't going away. Apple's main focus seems no longer to be on customer service but squeezing margins. I'm an iOS developer, I own Apple stock and my view is that it's time for new leadership there.

Why do people always add comments like "I'm an iOS developer, I own Apple stock or I've owned Apple devices for 20 years" as if it makes their BS comment anymore believable?

Lawsuits are done. There's no design defect. You can bet Apple engineers have "captured" (common industry term for ensuring a defective device is guaranteed to make it from a store clerk back to Apple for analysis) numerous iPhones and have done extensive testing on them.

Notice how the repair program doesn't list any serial number or production range? That's because this issue has nothing to do with a faulty manufacturing process or bad batch of parts.

That iFixit article is a complete joke and people are embarrassing themselves by referencing it. When this goes to court actual real engineers from Apple are going to completely dismantle their lame arguments.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    My iPhone has touch disease, it's good to see I'm not the only person suffering from that grey bar. 
    So are you going to withdraw from the class action lawsuit and get it fixed or hang around for the $10 iTunes coupon? Just kidding.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Sounds like a design issue. Why can't it survive hard drops when the case isn't damaged? Is a connector becoming unplugged? Maybe Apple should have secured it better.
  • Reply 29 of 44

Apple just stomped out all those class action lawsuits with this announcement. There's no manufacturing defect or coverup by Apple. Just a small number of devices that suffered a breakdown from abuse.
    say what..? This is a serious design defect, I'm not a huge proponent of class actions but in this case they do have merit.

I'm on my third six plus - I bought the largest storage version (i.e. most expensive), fortunately together with AppleCare. I've never dropped an iPhone, they've not been squished. This response from apple is an aggressive response to the lawsuits to imply it's happened only to careless iPhone users who phones were dropped. I'm happy for users who don't have this issue, but I can tell you it's a real issue that for me started after about 9 months.

I feel sorry for the six plus purchasers who had the problem shortly after a year, and were asked to pony up something like $250 for a replacement device.

No, the class actions aren't going away. Apple's main focus seems no longer to be on customer service but squeezing margins. I'm an iOS developer, I own Apple stock and my view is that it's time for new leadership there.

Why do people always add comments like "I'm an iOS developer, I own Apple stock or I've owned Apple devices for 20 years" as if it makes their BS comment anymore believable?

Lawsuits are done. There's no design defect. You can bet Apple engineers have "captured" (common industry term for ensuring a defective device is guaranteed to make it from a store clerk back to Apple for analysis) numerous iPhones and have done extensive testing on them.

Notice how the repair program doesn't list any serial number or production range? That's because this issue has nothing to do with a faulty manufacturing process or bad batch of parts.

That iFixit article is a complete joke and people are embarrassing themselves by referencing it. When this goes to court actual real engineers from Apple are going to completely dismantle their lame arguments.
    That being said, juries these days seem to enjoy ignoring facts and sticking it to corporations, any corporation. They’ve been brainwashed by the constant drumbeat of anti-business and anti-capitalism. See the talcum powder nonsense going on. No scientific evidence, NONE, that talcum powder causes cervical cancer yet juries are awarding millions based on sympathy and the idea that corporations are evil.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    curta said:
    I have a Samsung S4 and I have dropped it probably 50 times on hard concrete, it still works perfectly. It goes to show how cheaply designed/fragile Apple products are. I was considering getting an IPhone 6 Plus but now I realize it's not worth the money!!! Like every other Apple product... It is not worth the money! I've never bought an Apple product in my life and probably never will.
    Hey, asswipe, go away.
    mwhite
  • Reply 31 of 44
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    curta said:
    Do ALL of these 1-post wonders work for Samsung?  Or is this just a single Samsung employee making multiple accounts?
    mwhite
  • Reply 32 of 44
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    sog35 said:
    This is what I thought.

Now all you CLOWNS CAN STFU WITH YOUR TOUCH DISEASE. 

I knew it all along it was idiots abusing their phones that caused this. No duh, your display will be messed up if you keep dropping it and sitting your BIG ASS on the phone. Dumb asses.

How do I know? Because I have a 6+ and its running PERFECTLY.

Now you CLOWNS CAN SHUT THE FUC UP ONCE AND FOR ALL
    Right so if yours is fine that means nobody else could legitimately have s problem. So why is Apple even offering this repair program if it's just user error?
    Shhhh.  He's bailed off the deep end and has lost all touch with sanity.  In his world, the forests are burning, and he doesn't know why.  You are right, of course, but you cannot reason with a pathologically fractured mind.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 33 of 44
    spacekid said:
    Sounds like a design issue. Why can't it survive hard drops when the case isn't damaged? Is a connector becoming unplugged? Maybe Apple should have secured it better.
    Just don't drop it. Those are civilian devices with really delicate components, not military gadgets resistant to explosions, shocks, water, mud, whatever... The case may only protect your screen but the internal components are still subject to the momentum of the shock. If the stress happens over and over (as a result of a drop or bending force) the tiny microscopic solder points will give up. Use a non-certified third party charger and those solders may even melt because of the heat. I've seen many third party chargers that put electric load on the internal grounding shields causing the touch screen to stutter as soon as they are plugged, another example of inappropriate usage... If people cannot properly carry and handle a large screen phone they should just not buy one.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 34 of 44
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Total BS I picked up a brand-new 6Plus 2 weeks ago and with in one day had screen Flickr.  Just went back this weekend and replaced it.   Apple will never own up for anything   It's now in thier culture 
    So you bought a phone that as of Sept 8th 2016 was discontinued, and it is confirmed that the phone you just bought new has not been available through official channels since that time.  On top of that you claim to have returned the phone to Apple and it was replaced with no issue? Which also isn't true, but contradicts your point of not owning up? 

What the hell do you people get out of joining this site to post builshit like this ? Do you receive pay? Do your brain dead friends think you are cooler for doing this ?  Do you think everyone that's here is a fanboy and you get to burn them with just flat out untruthful and nonsensical posts?  What is it exactly? I would love to know. 
    mwhite
  • Reply 35 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Except people will want the repair done for free instead of needing to pay the $149 fee to get it fixed. I don't think the class-action lawsuit will stop here just because this program was announced. I'm sure they'll push to get the repair for free.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    jcs2305 said:
    Total BS I picked up a brand-new 6Plus 2 weeks ago and with in one day had screen Flickr.  Just went back this weekend and replaced it.   Apple will never own up for anything   It's now in thier culture 
    So you bought a phone that as of Sept 8th 2016 was discontinued, and it is confirmed that the phone you just bought new has not been available through official channels since that time.  On top of that you claim to have returned the phone to Apple and it was replaced with no issue? Which also isn't true, but contradicts your point of not owning up? 

What the hell do you people get out of joining this site to post builshit like this ? Do you receive pay? Do your brain dead friends think you are cooler for doing this ?  Do you think everyone that's here is a fanboy and you get to burn them with just flat out untruthful and nonsensical posts?  What is it exactly? I would love to know. 
    Sorry to correct you but the iPhone 6 Plus is still very much available through official channels. I could order one right now for 649€. It is widely available through official channels. All variants, colours, capacities etc.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 37 of 44
    The drop thing is BS. It may be the reason some people have the problem, but not all. My original iPhone 6 Plus was replaced in June due to a faulty battery. I took in for a battery replacement and because the original battery had swollen, the Apple store replaced it with a brand new unit (they confirmed not refurbed) from their repair stock.

Within a month it started exhibiting issues of "touch disease" -- screen would periodically stop responding to touch. Eventually by early August it got almost completely non-responsive and started exhibiting the flicker at the top of the screen. The tech at the store had seen it many times and replaced it under the 90-day repair warranty from the original repair.

This was a brand-new iPhone 6 Plus that had only been used for a month when the problem kicked in. Never dropped, not even onto a desk. I knew I'd be turning around and selling it for an iPhone 7 Plus when it was released, so I was particularly careful to baby it and avoid scratches, etc. 
  • Reply 38 of 44
    macxpress said:
    Except people will want the repair done for free instead of needing to pay the $149 fee to get it fixed. I don't think the class-action lawsuit will stop here just because this program was announced. I'm sure they'll push to get the repair for free.

You can't get a free repair if you damaged your iPhone. I doubt Apple would claim specific reasons for this (drops) if they didn't have their bases covered and hadn't done extensive testing to verify this.

The other point of a class action is to deal with a "widespread" problem. Can't have a class action if the failure rate is very low. It will be hard for the lawyers to provide a significant number of pristine iPhones that have zero signs of damage and also exhibit this problem. Which is what they'll need to do in order to claim it's a defect and not a result of users dropping and damaging their devices.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    macxpress said:

You can't get a free repair if you damaged your iPhone. I doubt Apple would claim specific reasons for this (drops) if they didn't have their bases covered and hadn't done extensive testing to verify this.

The other point of a class action is to deal with a "widespread" problem. Can't have a class action if the failure rate is very low. It will be hard for the lawyers to provide a significant number of pristine iPhones that have zero signs of damage and also exhibit this problem. Which is what they'll need to do in order to claim it's a defect and not a result of users dropping and damaging their devices.
    You have to pay the $149 regardless and the phone cannot be damaged in order to be eligible for the $149 repair. My point is, anyone who has this who has not dropped their phone (or dropped it without damage) has to pay the $149 and people are gonna bitch because they think it should be free, thus continuing the lawsuit to try and get it fixed for free. 
  • Reply 40 of 44
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Just a thought. Why doesn't Apple monitor the accelerometer in the iPhone and record any dramatic readings, i.e. the phone being dropped, to logs?
    That way if a phone is returned for repairs (of any kind) they can prove "you dropped it".