Apple exploring the possibility of moving iPhone manufacturing to United States

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Mid Priss said:
     No iPhone or android phone for that matter has ever been made in the US. So, it's not like you would be bringing jobs back. They never were here in the first place. Perhaps the next big thing could be manufactured anew here in the US. Maybe Trump would like to subsidize the purchase price of a Apple Car!
    I believe Motorola tried to have a made-to-order phone assembled in the US. I feel like it was done in Texas, but that could be wrong. 

edit: http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/11/4717796/made-in-america-a-look-inside-motorolas-moto-x-factory
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 62 of 73
    Unfortunately, AI writers are unfamiliar with customs tax rules which impose tax on cost of goods manufactured, not finished goods retail prices. Therefore, an accurate estimated 35% tax on an iPhone which costs an estimated $220 to build and contains 80% foreign made parts would look like this:
    $220 X 80% X 35% = $61.60 additional cost to Apple.  I don't see that blowing a hole in anyone's pocket.
    If such a tax incentivized U.S. manufacturing, bring it on! iPhones, Made in the U.S.A. 
  • Reply 63 of 73
    ben20 said:
    I do love to say today: I told you so before ! Apple can very quickly move parts of the iPhone manufacturing back to the United States, and provide jobs locally. Looking forward to hold an iPhone Made in America in my hands. And I happily will pay a few bucks more for it, just for the better quality and the support of America. Smart move by Apple ! It is a great idea to start to make products locally again - from violation of IP to shorter shipments times it's a win/win. 
    You are obviously clueless about the implications, and the reality. We lack a scalable workforce that requires 10's of thousands of employees to crank up the manufacturing of millions of devices on a very fast timetable, let alone all the engineers and other skilled labor to make it happen. Automation with robotics would be the only possible way, thus very few jobs.
    iosenthusiastbaconstang
  • Reply 64 of 73
    If it costs $250 to sell an $800 iPhone, and if costs increase 30%, the iPhone would cost $325 to make, and could sell for $875. BTW, I have two Apple computers that were made in the USA.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Actually, tariffs would be great news. Apple is the one company that would get hit least hard, because they have *successful* products built in the USA already, which no one in the competition has...
    tallest skil
  • Reply 66 of 73
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    freerange said:
    ben20 said:
    I do love to say today: I told you so before ! Apple can very quickly move parts of the iPhone manufacturing back to the United States, and provide jobs locally. Looking forward to hold an iPhone Made in America in my hands. And I happily will pay a few bucks more for it, just for the better quality and the support of America. Smart move by Apple ! It is a great idea to start to make products locally again - from violation of IP to shorter shipments times it's a win/win. 
    You are obviously clueless about the implications, and the reality. We lack a scalable workforce that requires 10's of thousands of employees to crank up the manufacturing of millions of devices on a very fast timetable, let alone all the engineers and other skilled labor to make it happen. Automation with robotics would be the only possible way, thus very few jobs.
    So did China 20 years ago. Say Good Morning to Mr. President Trump - times are changing, get to work ;-)
  • Reply 67 of 73
    holyone said:
    Each robot would cost on average $35k…
    JinTech said:
    Because robots are expensive, hence holyone's post above.
    So get robots to make cheaper robots.
    nht said:
    They'll take all of the spratleys and probably invade Taiwan since they'll need a huge distraction for the populace.
    And their mainland infrastructure will be bombed back into the stone age. They’re arrogant and too stupid to comprehend their own incompetence, but even they aren’t that dumb.
    loopless said:
    Trump is a moron who does not having a clue
    Sure he is.
    has made America the laughing stock of the world. 
    The only ones laughing are his supporters. The rest are either committing suicide or crying in their “safe spaces”.
    He is quite simply "a bad person" with no redeeming qualities.
    Sure he is.
    He pulled the old republican jedi mind-trick on the poor uneducated "deplorables”
    And yet when we conservatives say, “Hey, let’s get rid of universal franchise since it’s detrimental to the republic,” you fly into an insane rage… Oh, by the way, this is YOUR leadership, and they have always been responsible for keeping the “working class” uneducated. 

they are the ones going to get completely screwed.
    Sure they are.
    No health care
    Go read Bastiat.
    a polluted environment
    Sure it is.
    and their pickup trucks will cost more when he tears up NAFTA
    Good. Fuck NAFTA.
    Do they really think coal is coming back?
    No, we know it is.
    No-one wants to buy their frigging coal.
    No one gives a flying fuck about the rest of the world. We’ll be using it here, genius.
    Remember global-warming?
    lol enjoy your delusions.
    Those who do not study history are doomed to repeat it.
    The fucking irony.
    Trade-wars and tariffs lead to international conflict and never lead to an improved economy.
    Whatever you want to believe.
    Envymuch said:
    Americans wont take those jobs. 
    At least your username is accurate. Enjoy watching the world collapse around you while we return to our past superiority.
    LegacyAppleFansByte said:
    You should have aimed higher and moved as far away from the problem before you were trapped in a errible job making someone else's fun stuff but then on food stamps because... globalization. 
    Are you sure you’re not talking about China here?
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 68 of 73
    zoomcrypt said:
    the more excuses we hear about how hard/expensive it is the more reason we should be working hard to make it happen. not having self sufficiency in critical high tech devices in our own country is a HUGE risk if god forbid we ever have a world war again.  people need to understand assembly cost is a very small portion of the cost of our devices.  the majority of the cost is component cost, R&D, and marketing costs.

we always have the options of bringing in large numbers of immigrants that are dieing to come to the US and have special development zones that have lower minimum wages for a transition time. it's a win win for everyone.   along with special economic zones where have massively reduced tax rates for factories brought back home.

we also can consider imposing taxes on goods from other countries that have ridiculously low minimum wages. that will force other countries to stop exploiting their people for politician and elite profits at the same time helping to make our country more competitive. 
    Immigrants? Do you live under a rock the Christian's have come to town and Donald is kicking out the Mexicans - your fat obese 10 year old can't read but he can work that iphone u bought him for taking out the trash - maybe he'll use his fat hands assembling more iPhones. For 10 bux an hour.

get over it blue collar America. You should have aimed higher and moved as far away from the problem before you were trapped in a errible job making someone else's fun stuff but then on food stamps because... globalization. 

Burn america burn
  • Reply 69 of 73
    grangerfx said:
    Serious question: Why would it cost more to make iPhones with robots in the USA than it would in China?
    Exactly!
  • Reply 70 of 73
    nasserae said:
    Soli said:
    This would likely only be for final assembly, not for manufacturing.
    They will probably be assembled by machines with minimum human staff. Most components will come from overseas.
    Which makes US market independent and not hostage to Chineese government ideas... or even possibility of copying Apple manufacturing ideas. there is no reason not to start efficiency race including processing waste and reducing polutions which China is main source of and does not care much about it.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 71 of 73
    tmay said:
    sog35 said:
    Why is Apple even doing this?

Just gives more fuel to the fire that making iPhones in the USA is a good idea.
    Most of the jobs will end up in Southern population centers, Texas primarily, and those jobs will go to first and second generation Hispanic Americans, who will be more accepting of a lower wage base.

So is it better to look into illegal activities and keep them on welfare that costs all of tax paying taxes or give them jobs and perhaps give them legal status at last. You know they ran away from their coutries because there was crime and corruption in their origin places and majority of them were looking for normal life. Perhaps it is time to accept that and give them that life with jobs. On the other hand we really need to take a close look why for example California is so expensive... including San Francisco and Sillicon Valley. Last time I visited those places (August) I could not find anything special about them except some legends and myths (and i compare to NYC and NJ where I live and work in finance IT).
    baconstang
  • Reply 72 of 73
    maciekskontakt said:
    there is no reason not to start efficiency race including processing waste and reducing polutions which China is main source of and does not care much about it.
    Exactly. We should be able to do massive damage to China when we take the environmentalist crowd back from the perverted clutches of the AGW lobby. From anecdotes I’ve received, there is simply zero accountability for waste (industrial or otherwise) in China.