Jeep joins support for Apple CarPlay with 2017 Compass

Posted:
in iPhone
At this week's Los Angeles Auto Show, Fiat Chrysler's Jeep division revealed its first vehicle with support for Apple CarPlay built in, the 2017 Compass.

The SUV will support both CarPlay and Android Auto through a fourth-generation Uconnect dash interface. Notably buyers will have the option of 5-, 7-, or 8.4-inch touchscreens, making it easier to use the phone interfaces at a price.

In its announcement, Jeep didn't immediately say when the vehicle will become available, or how much different trims and upgrades might cost.

Jeep was actually one of the first companies to announce plans for CarPlay in 2014, but slow to deliver for reasons unknown. Indeed while some other Fiat Chrysler brands -- namely Dodge and Chrysler -- do have CarPlay models, there aren't many, and even Fiat itself doesn't offer the technology on 2016 500 models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    List is growing. Those car manufacturers like Toyota without carplay/androidauto phone conncetivity support in their new vehicles will be left behind. Why anyone would buy new vehicle without such support because your next vehicle will be down 10 or more years(unless you lease or frequently replace/upgrade vehicles like phone).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I wouldn't buy a vehicle today if it didn't have Apple CarPlay support. Toyota has decided not to support either, but I think will be forced to eventually. 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Shame this vehicle is a festering pile of poop. Really, SUVs in general are ridiculous vehicles brilliantly marketed to people who (generally speaking) have more money than brains, but I rented a Compass once a few years ago (it was, quite literally, the only thing they had left) and it was awful. The thing was really cheaply made (the entire interior was made with cheap-feeling plastic parts) and it was so dramatically underpowered that it was painfully slow trekking up the gradual incline into the mountains of North Carolina.

At least now, thanks to Apple, it has one positive selling point :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Shame this vehicle is a festering pile of poop. Really, SUVs in general are ridiculous vehicles brilliantly marketed to people who (generally speaking) have more money than brains, but I rented a Compass once a few years ago (it was, quite literally, the only thing they had left) and it was awful. The thing was really cheaply made (the entire interior was made with cheap-feeling plastic parts) and it was so dramatically underpowered that it was painfully slow trekking up the gradual incline into the mountains of North Carolina.

The new smaller Jeeps (Renegade and the brand new Compass) are huge improvements over the old Compass and Patriot, both of which I too have had the misfortune to rent.  They looked and drove like they were leftovers from the AMC days.  I can't believe they sold any of them, they were just so bad.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

At least now, thanks to Apple, it has one positive selling point
    The new smaller Jeeps (Renegade and the brand new Compass) are huge improvements over the old Compass and Patriot, both of which I too have had the misfortune to rent.  They looked and drove like they were leftovers from the AMC days.  I can't believe they sold any of them, they were just so bad.
    I must confess when my V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited was in for a new AC system the loner Jeep was one of these.  I nearly got out and walked it might have been faster and that's in Florida on the flat!  It was so good to get my real Jeep back!
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 6 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Do you really think that just because one is bad, that all of them are bad? What a stupid way to think! You know, Apple used to make shitty computers once too. This is a totally brand new vehicle designed from the ground up. Its not just a simple refresh of the existing Compass. 

The new Jeeps are actually really nice. There is a thing called improvements...it does happen! I don't know why anyone would make comments on a product before seeing and experiencing it in person. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Too bad apple turned CarPlay into a steaming pile of poo with iOS 10.