Apple touts genius potential of Touch Bar-equipped MacBook Pro in new video spot

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Soli said:
    mr o said:
    Soli said:

4) I like that old ad showing off iTunes, but I'm not seeing how a bunch of musicians would communicate this new era for the Mac. Please explain.
    I like the idea to explain technology with people, hence my reference to the original Rip. Mix. Burn. app from iTunes.

What about someone walking from room to room? In each room you'd have different people with relevant tools showing up. The rooms would represent the apps, while the assistants represent the touch bar. Actually, a bit like Apple's intro video of WWDC 2015:

https://youtu.be/H1C9BeyD_e0

The key message would be the ever changing nature of the touchbar, making you feel like a boss, in total creative control.

>:x
    I like that idea, but I wonder if demos of different apps would be better. This is really just a foundation ad for the new MBP, like with the original iPhone ad (below). I assume they will do more technical ads in the coming weeks.

Except the original iPhone ad suited way better and was a better first ad as Oscar commercial. The Touch Bar is like a strip of an iPhone or something. The iPhone was like nothing else and literally everyone knew it was coming! All we needed was hello and a date.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 22 of 32
    All I can think about is all those wasted light bulbs and broken glass on the sidewalk and desert, running your fingers along broken glass, a complete miss judgment, sorry just as bad as the last advert that tried to talk about the iPhones waterproof speakers but all I can see in my memory is that add starts with an old mans crotch, legs wide open. Oh no, apple need a new advertising agency quick. or just a little more taste.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Soli said:
    mr o said:
    Hmm, I don't like it because:
    1. It is a bit long, don't you think? This could easily be a 30 seconds ad.
    2. The music is a bit of a mismatch. It makes it sound comical.
    3. The exploding light bulbs are a bit grotesque, like the Microsoft Surface Studio. Quite the opposite of the subtleness of the touchbar.
    Here's an idea of how the ever changing nature of the touchbar could be communicated. A bit like Apple's first tv ad for iTunes promoting the creation of personal playlists:

https://youtu.be/4ECN4ZE9-Mo

2) The music is the famous William Tell Overture. It's not what I consider comical, but it was used on the "Lone Ranger" TV show. When I hear it I think of passion, drive, and urgency. I'm guessing that's the inspiration between the video that shows a small subset of what human ingenuity and innovation has achieved.

People generally tend to associate the William Tell Overture to Loony Tunes and Mickey Mouse. I associate it to A Clockwork Orange!

I associate it with watching William Tell on TV as a kid!  
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 24 of 32
    anomeanome Posts: 1,544member
    Soli said:
    mr o said:
    3. The exploding light bulbs are a bit grotesque, like the Microsoft Surface Studio. Quite the opposite of the subtleness of the touchbar.
    Here's an idea of how the ever changing nature of the touchbar could be communicated. A bit like Apple's first tv ad for iTunes promoting the creation of personal playlists:

2) The music is the famous William Tell Overture. It's not what I consider comical, but it was used on the "Lone Ranger" TV show. When I hear it I think of passion, drive, and urgency. I'm guessing that's the inspiration between the video that shows a small subset of what human ingenuity and innovation has achieved.

People generally tend to associate the William Tell Overture to Loony Tunes and Mickey Mouse. I associate it to A Clockwork Orange!

I thought most people associated it with The Lone Ranger.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    anome said:
    Soli said:
    mr o said:

I thought most people associated it with The Lone Ranger.
    Well let me think .... William Tell Overture ... Associated with TV show called William Tell or the Lone Ranger ...  I'll leave it up to you ;)  
  • Reply 26 of 32

fortesque said:
    All I can think about is all those wasted light bulbs and broken glass on the sidewalk and desert, running your fingers along broken glass, a complete miss judgment, sorry just as bad as the last advert that tried to talk about the iPhones waterproof speakers but all I can see in my memory is that add starts with an old mans crotch, legs wide open. Oh no, apple need a new advertising agency quick. or just a little more taste.
    I assume you are kidding about broke glass?  Right?  I have to ask you never know these days!
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Actually, there's something I found out about touch bar, not sure if others have as well. But it's really an eye opener (for me at least)

See, if you have the normal keyboard, you get function keys which for instance always have brightness controls and music volume etc. On the touch bar, it changes over with the context of the application you are running and the volume, brightness etc keys are collapsing to the right give only single icons for brightness, volume, etc.

I thought, well, now I have to press two buttons if I want to change volume. One button to expand the desired category (brightness, volume), the other one to adjust (using the slider).

Turns out there's a much easier (faster) way... Just tap the action and slide. Ie if you want to adjust the brightness, just simply tap-slide the unexpanded brightness "button".

So there's no need to tap the touchbar twice for the same action compared to the old keyboard.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    It really captured my attention and is utterly unlike Apple in so many respects.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    It really captured my attention and is utterly unlike Apple in so many respects.
    Not sure you're commenting on my post.

I find it very Apple. Very well executed, very good feel to it (unlike the Touch ID button next to it which wobbles, argh)
  • Reply 30 of 32
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 31 of 32
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,906member
    mr o said:

>:x
    There is a :30 version. Almost all big budget spots (and this is indeed a big budget spot) are cut in :60 and :30 lengths.  Sometimes even 2:00 length used for non-broadcast uses.