Apple accused of throttling iPhone 7 performance on Verizon to match slower speeds on AT&T

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    nhughes said:
    aybara said:
    tycho24 said:
    I get like 80mbps on AT&T where I live.
    Literally NOBODY is getting 450mbps+ anywhere.
    I've never seen a more bullshit article. 
    450 is the max,  not the expected or average.  Look at the graph posted in the article.  Shows the iPhones getting ~2.5mbps and the Galaxy getting ~4.5mbps
    Then what is the point of a non-related graph to the story?  Why claim 450 vs 600 and show a graph that only goes to a tenth of that?  Another indication of a pointless story.
    There's a reason the theoretical speeds weren't mentioned until paragraph 5 of an 8-pagagraph story. If you don't understand why the lead image is related to the text, perhaps you should re-read the article. It shows how the same modem in a Galaxy S7 gets much faster speeds than the iPhone 7 on Verizon. It's clearly explained.

tycho24 said:
    You've never seen a more bullshit article? Ever? OK.

It's bullshit because throttling a 600Mb modem to 450Mb wouldn't affect performance in the range shown - less than 10Mb - and that's why the chart seems irrelevant.  Were the tests conducted at the same time, with the same tower contention?  Was the signal strength the same?  I'll bet this is a pretty unscientific study. 
    biggeorgie01tycho24
  • Reply 22 of 30
    The Apple Exec. that made this stupid decision to use substandard Intel modems on SOME iPhones should be throttled!  i.e. fired

The throttling on Qualcomm modem iPhones may be all via carrier settings files...
    edited November 2016 big
  • Reply 23 of 30
    But apple is completely up front about this - they have only every listed the phone as a 450Mbit/sec device - yes the X12 is 600Mbit/sec but hey have never said the iPhone 7 is anything other than 450Mbit/sec device (yes; most likely because of intel chip in the other model) - but they certainly have been misleading
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    (Haven't been misleading I should say)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    A one word explanation for the entire kerfuffle: battery.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    iPhone 7+ (Intel) on AT&T in Los Angeles.  B

edited November 2016 tycho24
  • Reply 27 of 30
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tjwolf said:
    sdw2001 said:
    This is a non-story for anyone who is not a lawyer or a hardware engineer.   I am on AT&T in a pretty strong LTE area, iPhone 7 Plus.   Here's my result:  

Just ran it again and got double the upload speed and about the same download speed.  These are among the best results I can get.  450 isn't even on the radar.  Hell, 100 isn't on the radar.  If the test has no real-world applicability, what is the point?  

You didn't give one bit of very important information: is your iPhone 7 Plus an AT&T phone or an unlocked phone?  The latter actually uses the Qualcomm modem.
    It says the carrier is AT&T in the screenshot. 
  • Reply 28 of 30
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    tycho24 said:
    Right. No LTE service in US could even hit 150Mbps. This article is beyond bullshit. 450Mbps, my ass!
    williamlondontycho24
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Idle, poisonous specualtion. The Devil finds work...
  • Reply 30 of 30
    lookmom_nowireslookmom_nowires Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Apple did, in fact, decide to gimp the Qualcomm model of the iPhone 7 by not taking advantage of all the features Qualcomm's X12 modem has to offer. Intel's modem is not even capable of these features so, to keep performance consistent, they simply decided not to build in everything to the Qualcomm model.
    fallenjt said:
    Right. No LTE service in US could even hit 150Mbps. This article is beyond bullshit. 450Mbps, my ass!
    That's just straight up false. ALL carriers in the US offer LTE services capable of speeds north of 200 Mbps. You just have to be in the right place at the right time to see it. As carriers move to LTE-only by taking away spectrum from 2G and 3G, we will see the 450 and 600 Mbps figures that phones are capable of. Yes you'll be able to see those speeds outside a lab.