Apple's Austin campus now up to 6,000 workers as company touts 2M US jobs since 2007

Posted:
in General Discussion
In a weekend profile of Apple's campus in Austin, Tex., the company claimed that it has created over 2 million jobs in the U.S. since the iPhone first went on sale in 2007.

That number includes "explosive growth in iOS developers, thousands of new supplier and manufacturing partners, and a 400 percent increase in our employee teams," Apple said in a statement to the New York Times. Its own workforce includes about 80,000 people.

The company added that it "made the unique decision to keep and expand our contact centers for customers in the Americas in the United States," and plans to "continue to invest and grow across the U.S."

Much of the company's tech support staff is based at its Austin campus, which in the last seven years has grown from holding 2,100 workers to about 6,000, aided by a recent major expansion. The facility also handles supplier operations, finances, Maps development, and various iTunes and App Store tasks.

While the average pay for an Apple call center worker is just $30,000 per year, people who graduate to permanent status can take home $45,000 plus benefits and annual stock grants. Overall the average salary at the Austin campus -- including management staff, but excluding benefits and stocks -- is $77,000 per year.

A perk of working at the campus is that workers are encouraged to try out other positions, which can potentially lead to dramatic career shifts. Apple is working on formalizing the program, allowing people to test different jobs in six-month stints.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    And the majority on this website think Apple is failing and doomed. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    This sounds like a big number. How does that compare to other companies in the US? Meaning both the 80k of Apple employees and then the 2M Halo job pool...I know a ton is focused on manufacturing jobs but that time may have come and gone. Robots will contribute a huge amount moving forward. Also those that choose not to work are not all the sudden getting motivated...
  • Reply 3 of 18
    I can't believe I was reading a New York Times article...

Wow. Sometimes, pigs do fly.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    The few times I've interacted with Apple support call centers (I could tell they were American workers) I got the feeling that the employees on the line were genuinely happy.
    baconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Reads like PR, buckling to the new regime.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Reads like PR, buckling to the new regime.
    They are just putting their chess pieces on the board.  The game starts next year.
    slprescott
  • Reply 7 of 18
    How does one validate this 2M claim? Is the company saying without Apple these jobs wouldn't exist? Of course without iOS you wouldn't have iOS developers but then wouldn't those people just be doing something else? If iPhone didn't exist would FedEx and UPS be laying off workers? I doubt it. It seems there is a lot of extrapolation and assumptions going on here.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Can confirm the Austin campus is rocking, I drive by there all the time, really pretty campus also.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    How does one validate this 2M claim? Is the company saying without Apple these jobs wouldn't exist? Of course without iOS you wouldn't have iOS developers but then wouldn't those people just be doing something else? If iPhone didn't exist would FedEx and UPS be laying off workers? I doubt it. It seems there is a lot of extrapolation and assumptions going on here.
    Um.. how do you think any such claim is made by anybody? They all involve making some assumptions or having some type of model.

Of course, you might be saying that Apple might be exaggerating facts here, but in my experience, companies such as Apple, concerned about a reputation protect, tend to be conservative making such claims. Their lawyers and board members will likely have been all over it, and anything that can't be substantiated clearly have likely been erased or modified.

More to the point, if you're really interested in getting an answer, have you written to the author of the NYT piece and ask how she evaluated Apple's claims? Unless, of course, you just want to throw out a bunch or rhetorical questions (with possibly an agenda) in a Forum where it's unlikely that anyone has an answer?
    edited November 2016 ration alai46realjustinlongstompyjony0
  • Reply 10 of 18
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    The red states are losers.  They want the low paying jobs back from China.  And Trump himself uses a Galaxy phone  made by a foreign company.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 18
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    It is easy.  Anytime a new product category is invented and become successful it creates a new economy as well as many new jobs that depends on the new product.  So it has little to do with FedEx jobs. Do you know at one time the Rockfellow family owns one third of US GDP?  Today it is irrelevant because a lot of new jobs were created because of new products.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    This is obviously a good thing but these jobs created as byproducts of the amazing growth in the Apple ecosystem are not jobs that involve coal mining, labor intensive low efficiency steel mills, labor intensive manual auto assembly, hand soldering assembly of vacuum tube televisions and console AM-FM radios, elevator operators, telephone switchboard operators, garment workers, cobblers, soda fountain fast order cooks, lumberjacks, oil field workers, paperboys, shipyard workers, railroad workers, aerospace and space race workers, and the myriad of other 1950s-1980s manual and labor intensive (and largely union supported) occupations that employed and profited the middle class post WWII. Those were the jobs that put America back to work post WWII, actively supported the Cold War, and those were the types of jobs the "Make America Great Again" (MAGA) supporters want brought back to the US. The kind of jobs Apple is helping to create in large numbers globally like software designers, developers, testers, marketers, and product support jobs aren't considered great and don't matter because they do nothing for the MAGA crowd. It doesn't matter if Apple creates 10 million new jobs using modern manufacturing methods or technology areas that require retraining and/or attainment of modern skill sets. The MAGA crowd doesn't want to have to invest in retraining or updating their skill set to meet modern job requirements of the current global marketplace. They just want their great old jobs back and with a substantial wage increase - just because that is great too. The president elect has promised that he would give them everything they wanted and more. All this Apple jobs talk is just background noise and sissy jobs to them unless Apple starts talking about refineries, blast furnaces, oil pipelines, strip mines, steel mills, coal, corn, or beef. 

Not trying to be callous or unsympathetic but the cruel reality of capitalism is that no matter what or for how long you invest in your career training and growth you can always be replaced when the revenue generating models change and you are no longer needed in your current capacity. It's not just miners or railroad workers or assembly line workers. It's just about everyone in the workforce. Millions of very cutting edge degreed and non-degreed technical workers most of whom were extensively trained, educated, skilled, and highly credentialed helped support, and ultimately win both the Space Race and the Cold War. When the race was over and the war was won (by America and democracy no less) those workers were cast aside just like laid off coal miners and manual assembly line workers. Those Space Race/Cold War workers had to refocus, retrain, and take personal responsibility for figuring out how the heck they were going to continue to receive a paycheck. Nobody took up their cause, much less an elected president. The ones who survived and prospered were the ones who took personal responsibility for their destiny and didn't sit around waiting on manna from Washington to save their bacon. 

Seeing where (skills, education, technology, geography, markets, etc.) the new economy and companies like Apple are creating job opportunities is a wake up call to each and every individual who wants to prosper in the new economy. You have a choice - you can rely on yourself and your own skills, perseverance, and resiliency and take an active role in shaping your future - or you can wait for a handout from yet another huckster selling promises you know in your heart of hearts will never happen. Turning back the clock and hoping for the resurrection of a new economy based on a revisionist reality of an old economy gone by (gone bye-bye) is like putting your faith in a cement-filled life preserver. My advice - believe, and invest, in yourself and the future and leave the past in the past.

edited November 2016
  • Reply 13 of 18
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    This sounds like a big number. How does that compare to other companies in the US? Meaning both the 80k of Apple employees and then the 2M Halo job pool...I know a ton is focused on manufacturing jobs but that time may have come and gone. Robots will contribute a huge amount moving forward. Also those that choose not to work are not all the sudden getting motivated...
    Very few of those 2M American halo jobs are in manufacturing. Apple is counting halo jobs in America, not worldwide (that number would be MUCH higher).
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Very few of those 2M American halo jobs are in manufacturing. Apple is counting halo jobs in America, not worldwide (that number would be MUCH higher).
  • Reply 15 of 18
    No, th company is most definitely not saying those people wouldn't be otherwise employed. The credit they seem to be claiming is credit for producing opportunity, versus those people having to seek it elsewhere. If the economy your company created creates uniquely new employment opportunities, then I do think you have a right to say you created employment associated with that economy, which would include some employment peripheral to it (like any extra FedEx jobs). Apple certainly created a uniquely new economy in the iOS ecosystem and App Store, for example, which offered an efficient means of creating, distributing and marketing software, allowing many into that career field who would not have had the means to enter otherwise.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    @dewme +42, although I think to the MAGAs, their faith in their leader is (and will remain) stronger than reality.  When unskilled manufacturing jobs do not materialize, it will be blamed on scapegoats rather than the cruel reality of capitalism.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    tzeshan said:
    The red states are losers.  They want the low paying jobs back from China.  And Trump himself uses a Galaxy phone  made by a foreign company.  

I thought he used an iPhone.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    "A perk of working at the campus is that workers are encouraged to try out other positions, which can potentially lead to dramatic career shifts. Apple is working on formalizing the program, allowing people to test different jobs in six-month stints." This has been in place over 25 yrs (at least in Engineering) since I worked at the Cupertino campus (DA 3) since before 1989 - I was at work in a mtg @ 5:04PM when the "World Series Earthquake" hit. That was one of the things that allowed shifting of personnel from one project to another in a pinch, IMHO. It also allowed you to actually allowed us to work with a lot of real geniuses that might have become an elite group had Apple not had that open culture.