Pundits believe Apple's Jony Ive no longer involved in iPhone, Mac product design [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2016
According to numerous reports said to be out of Apple headquarters, the company's Chief Design Officer Jony Ive hasn't contributing much to Apple's consumer goods design as of late, and has been more interested in architecture and similar projects for the last few years.

Based on comments that he had heard over time, long-time Apple journalist Jason Snell and John Gruber speculated that Jony Ive is focused on Apple's "Spaceship" campus and store design with retail head Angela Ahrendts.

"I've heard that he has lately been checked out or not as directly involved with product design and that he's been largely focused on architecture," said Gruber on his "The Talk Show" podcast. "And that maybe the?other?top-level executive who's been working the most with Ive?is Angela Ahrendts."

The pair discussed the possibility that Ive "has assumed a Jobs-like role" within Apple and can mandate product direction that may not be in the company's best interest, like a gold Apple watch or an Apple-branded car.

Gruber and Snell postulate that Apple's car project, recently rumored to be dramatically scaled back, was originally started at Ive's bidding, and the rumored collapse is the herald of Ive's future departure from the company. Potentially reinforcing that belief, the pair discuss rumors floating about that the recent coffee-table "Designed by Apple in California" tome was "decreed" by Ive, is his swan-song, and acts as a portfolio of the designer's work.

Gruber thinks that Ive "may only be spiritual leadership at this point."

The recently released "Designed by Apple in California" book was developed over eight years, and documents materials and techniques used in assembly and construction of all the products in 400 pictures.

"The idea of genuinely trying to make something great for humanity was Steve's motivation from the beginning, and it remains both our ideal and our goal as Apple looks to the future," said Jony Ive, Apple's chief design officer. "This archive is intended to be a?gentle gathering of many of the products the team has designed over the years. We hope it brings some understanding to how and why they exist, while serving as a resource for students of all design disciplines."

Update: Gruber has since written a post to his website Daring Fireball to explain he did not hear Ive was on his way out, but that Ive had checked out of day-to-day design work to concentrate on architecture projects like Campus 2 and Apple retail. That said, the blogger does make note of rumors regarding Ive's eventual departure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 146
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Gut feel is Gruber is wrong about this. Especially after this book just coming out and showing how enthused Ive was about Apple's products. Ive is probably heavily involved in the car project, and we know he's involved in the store designs.
    edited November 2016 doozydozenfraccaliration alpscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 146
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I think I'll need a bit more evidence (well, some evidence would be nice) for this one. 

Apparently, Ive decreed this book eight years ago, while Jobs was still alive, as his leaving portfolio? 

Mmmm. 

Still, if it is true then he's not the only designer working at Apple. 

doozydozenpalomine
  • Reply 3 of 146
    I agree that a book that took 8 years to make looks like an "end of an era" retrospective, not a roadmap showing the way forward. Perhaps it was really meant as a tribute to Jobs and that's the end of it.
    edited November 2016 wdowellbdkennedy1002netmage
  • Reply 4 of 146
    I agree that a book that took 8 years to make looks like an "end of an era" retrospective, not a roadmap showing the way forward.
    If it was a roadmap showing the way forward, what would it contain?
    palomine
  • Reply 5 of 146
    Makes sense.

The next iphone - in terms of design - is basically a year late, for technical reasons, but the design will have been locked down since at least september. iOS ovehall is done, Mac - well, they didnt really do that. So yea, what do you think he's doing?  The rumoured on-off car - there must have been a design for that.  The rest, basically is iterative and he has a solid team.

For what it's worth i dont thnk Ive will ever actaully 'leave' apple. He'll just sort of stay on nominally.
    edited November 2016 frac
  • Reply 6 of 146
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Is this what it has come to?. Everybody lies?... 
    well, not exactly a lie but an assumption that ive is not designing iPhones/macs anymore...
    IMO the headline should state "Ives new project is the Space campus"

SO, it seems that everybody does not care about what "assume" stands for...  you make an "ass" of "u" and "me"... 
    thus, twitter people don't care that they are donkeys.
    Facebook does not like donkeys, and they are doing something about it.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 146
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ireland said:
    Gut feel is Gruber is wrong about this. Especially after this book just coming out and showing how enthused Ive was about Apple's products. Ive is probably heavily involved in the car project, and we know he's involved in the store designs.
    1) The book coming out is being used as evidence that his tenure at Apple has come to an end.

2) He'll likely always be enthused with Apple. His vision is a key part of Apple's ethos. It may never be rid of Ive's influence.
  • Reply 8 of 146
    As the saying goes... Small minds discuss people, you know the rest...

A fellow who didn't educate any of her/his subordinates doesn't deserve that fellowship already. The design department is a team and Ive is a high-level executive. Such an executive is not expected to ride mouse on AutoCAD after so many years of brilliant service. Expecting that Ive would design by his very own hand is a layman's thinking that has nothing to do with any business or corporate reality. Apple has a design tradition and Ive is the guardian of that tradition, that's it. Just like some other executive being the guardian of the software tradition or another the guardian of sales and marketing tradition, another of the production and manufacturing tradition...

edited November 2016 mike1fastasleeprandominternetpersonration alpscooter63brucemcpalominecornchip
  • Reply 9 of 146
    Slow news day.
  • Reply 10 of 146
    If he does leave then I reckon the same people who'll start screaming Apple is doomed without him, will be the same people who screamed he was killing Apple by making everything thin. 
    andrewj5790fastasleepcalipscooter63watto_cobrabrucemccornchip
  • Reply 11 of 146
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    Again, "According to numerous reports said to be out of Apple headquarters" we're left with anonymous statements from Jason Snell. Have some guts Jason and spill the beans on who you're talking about. Let's have some transparency in journalism instead of the blatant garbage we have to put up with on a daily basis. If Jony's focus has changed, let's hear it from him on Apple's website. Until I do, I'm not believing anything I read from any website anymore. We just went through an election where 1.5 candidates lied through their teeth and I'm disgusted with this type of slander without consequences. If any of us here would have said a fraction of what they said or a fraction of the hearsay going on in today's news reporting, we'd either be in jail and broke from all the lawsuits against us. The first amendment doesn't protect lies so where's the truth?
  • Reply 12 of 146
    rob53 said:
    Again, "According to numerous reports said to be out of Apple headquarters" we're left with anonymous statements from Jason Snell. Have some guts Jason and spill the beans on who you're talking about. Let's have some transparency in journalism instead of the blatant garbage we have to put up with on a daily basis. If Jony's focus has changed, let's hear it from him on Apple's website. Until I do, I'm not believing anything I read from any website anymore. We just went through an election where 1.5 candidates lied through their teeth and I'm disgusted with this type of slander without consequences. If any of us here would have said a fraction of what they said or a fraction of the hearsay going on in today's news reporting, we'd either be in jail and broke from all the lawsuits against us. The first amendment doesn't protect lies so where's the truth?
    Transparency in journalism doesn't mean revealing confidential sources. All that does is prevent you from getting more news after you've betrayed the trust of all those that trusted you to keep their identity safe.
    thewhitefalcongatorguyfastasleepthepixeldoctdknoxdysamoriaduervo
  • Reply 13 of 146
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The loss of Jobs and Ive ( who were like Lennon and McCartney better as a team) is potentially a big blow. 
  • Reply 14 of 146
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Jony Ive is very talented designer but but at this stage,Apple have enough diverse talents that no big shoes left unfilled from within.
  • Reply 15 of 146
    He has been getting plastic surgery to remove the button on his belly. (Sorry, couldn't resist)
    king editor the gratemazda 3s
  • Reply 16 of 146
    Soli said:
    Transparency in journalism doesn't mean revealing confidential sources. All that does is prevent you from getting more news after you've betrayed the trust of all those that trusted you to keep their identity safe.

Journalists use confidential sources to lead them to people willing to go on the record. They only publish a story using anonymous sources if they're willing to go to jail to protect their anonymity.

I imagine if he were somehow dragged into court on such a non-story, he'd squeal like a pig.
    karsk
  • Reply 17 of 146
    There is nothing wrong with the gold Apple Watch Edition. This is a classic and it will remain so. 10 years from now we'll see how much it wil collect in big auction houses. People spend a lot of gold to stupid things, regardless of their income. Such a technology jewel deserves to be enclosed in gold.

The car actually may be more a trial on government's green car project than Apple's own. Every large corporation may go into such trials to benefit from government incentives, this is a business reality and nothing wrong with that too. Also I don't think a car can be a fellow designer's dream. This is a layman's understanding of design. Instead a car may be a designer's nightmare, given the number of "concept cars" in shows that have gone into production so far, if any.
    patchythepiratefastasleeprandominternetperson
  • Reply 18 of 146
    I imagine if he were somehow dragged into court on such a non-story, he'd squeal like a pig.
    He probably would, but I doubt it would come to that. I'd wager his source would say "sure, I'd rather you reveal my name than you having to go to court or jail over non-political, non-charged story about CE company." But if the source reveals their name they may not be a source any longer, hence why we anonymous sources for stories in technology. Let's remember that Spotlight is a software service on macOS and iOS, not the name of a movie about child molestation and cover-up within Apple campus.
    king editor the grategatorguy
  • Reply 19 of 146
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    wood1208 said:
    Jony Ive is very talented designer but but at this stage,Apple have enough diverse talents that no big shoes left unfilled from within.
    I would be surprised if Ive leaves, but I am not surprised that he no longer is 'hands on'. What is needed for a company the size of Apple is a cohesive design and aesthetic 'direction' and Ive obviously has been directly or implicitly responsible for this for years. But the minimalisation and beautification of all things computers has come so far there are only incremental improvements to be made. Technical developments or the introduction of new materials are more significant these days The era when Ive (and Jobs) made the Bondi iMac all cute and cuddly and put a handle on its back to make the computer less technical, less intimidating, less beige, has long since gone but I am sure that this is an area Ive will continue to be concerned and involved with from a design perspective with all things Apple. 

I will only agree with people that spell the doom of Apple based on its design decisions the day Apple releases a device that looks like some of those routers shown here yesterday. 
    king editor the graterandominternetpersonration al
  • Reply 20 of 146

1. Same iPhone shell for 3 years. Unacceptable. Even cheap POS China companies come out with yearly shell changes.

2. Mouse. 

3. Pencil

4. Battery case

5. Smartkey board, non flush design

6. Camera bump & ugly antenna lines

These may seem like nitpicking. Small details. But that was what made Apple great. The details.

You are completely clueless when it comes to industrial design.

1. Try new glasses when you see no difference. And no, the competition doesnt come out with new designs every year.

2. Its the best place for occasional charging without spoiling the clean design. What is your (better) idea? Please, let us know.

3. Again, the same argument. What is your (better) idea? Please, let us know.

4. The battery is most effective when bulky. This design doesnt make the phone bulky. It fits ergonomically into your palm. Have you ever used one of those thick but "flushed" battery cases from competition?
    This looks slim just like with regular rubber case when placed on the table or from most angles. And is very easy to put on and off.

5. Again, this is the compromise with the best usability and quality of the keyboard. You would like to have the nonkeyboard part the same thickness only to look flush?? What is your (better) idea? Please, let us know.

6. Camera bumps - you can find them on many phones and there is a reason for it. When you manage to brake the rules of physics, please, let us know.

Yes, these are small details, nitpicking. But it only proves, that Apple did think about those designs more than you ever did and they did it not only from the primitive perspective of how it looks, like you did, but how it works and how it is used!
    edited November 2016 patchythepiratewonkothesanemacxpressRayz2016StrangeDaysration alnetmagewatto_cobrabrucemcmacgui