DirecTV joins list of providers with single sign-on support in iOS 10.2 & tvOS 10.1 betas

Posted:
in iPhone
A fifth TV provider, AT&T's DirecTV, has quietly appeared as an option for people trying single sign-on support in the iOS 10.2 or tvOS 10.1 betas.

Image Credit: MacRumors
Image Credit: MacRumors

Single sign-on allows users to authenticate with a TV provider once and have it recognized with every app hosting the same content. Those apps have to be updated with support as well, but a number will likely be ready by the time iOS 10.2 and tvOS 10.1 go live in December.

Until now, only Dish, Sling TV, Hotwire, and GVTC Communications have been listed as compatible providers. Others -- like Comcast, Spectrum, and PlayStation Vue -- will have to come onboard for the new technology to have meaningful reach.

Single sign-on was originally promised months ago, but was delayed for reasons unknown. When it does become widely available, though, Apple will also be premiering a new "TV" app, making it easier to find and browse shows. Siri will let people jump straight into live streams, as long as necessary apps are installed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    sog35 said:
    What about Playstation Vue?

IMO, Playstation vue is what an Apple live service should be:

$30 for about 40 of the most popular channels
    Cloud DVR that allows you to record 500 shows
    Access on any device
    Multiple profiles

Its a really great service. Dropped my cable and cut my TV bill from $100 to $35.

In my area Playstation Vue is missing NBC and ABC. But I got that covered with OTA.

I think the upcoming DIRECTV now where you'll get 100 channels for $35 with a substantial on demand offering will be the game changer and will hurt sling and vue.  
    jbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 8
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    sog35 said:

Access on any device
    Multiple profiles

Its a really great service. Dropped my cable and cut my TV bill from $100 to $35.

In my area Playstation Vue is missing NBC and ABC. But I got that covered with OTA.
    Slowly but surely everyone will get on board. Matter of time. Waiting to find out DirectTV Now subscription price and programming line-up. Comparing to SLING, isn't PS Vue restricts streaming out side of your home ? Vue's base package offers decent channels lineup but missing A+E(Lifetime/LMN) all together.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    sog35 said:

Access on any device
    Multiple profiles

What am I missing here?  It looks like pretty good programing from what I can tell.  I have directv right now and pay a ton for most of what I don't watch.  The core package covers what I need...Also Apple should be able to get this type of thing done ez.  Very frustrating.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Need Vue added by launch.

Now that I have that on AppleTV, there is no need for Sling or any cable box at all (not that I've had a cable box for years anyway).

I gotta be honest: It is bizarre to me that the best Lite Cable package available on AppleTV and iOS is coming to me with the Playstation brand on it. I have a heck of a time explaining it to the non-tech savvy.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Comcast is MIA, so sad.  
  • Reply 6 of 8
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    AT&T will reveal everything about DirecTV Now AT&T’s over-the-top service on November 28th. Features like cloud DVR and the ability to pause live TV might be their. A new way to stream TV with over 100 channels for $35 a month. Though,no CBS
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Why are people crapping over Apple not having a tv service just like everyone else which is just a bundle of channels for a set price.  This is nothing new, the same thing that Comcast and Direct Tv and everyone else has always done.  Why pay Apple instead for the same old bundle.  If you can't offer something different, why waste your time?. How about a A-La-Cart service.  You know pick the channels you want.  Is that 1 channel or 10 channels, a set price for each channel, anything from free to $15 for ESPN or HBO.  Whatever, maybe so many channels, get a discount bundle.  Why do I want channels I'll never watch?  

I cut the cord because of that, and stuck up a nice large antenna.  In happy as is.  A antenna and Netflex takes care of most of my needs.  Maybe singe are just watching too much tv,