President-elect Trump says Apple CEO Tim Cook phoned him after victory

Posted:
in General Discussion
In an interview on Tuesday, President-elect Donald Trump noted that Apple CEO Tim Cook had called him, but no mention was made about the topics of the conversation the pair may have had, following Trump's contentious remarks on the campaign trail.

Speaking with The New York Times, Trump claimed that both Cook and ex-Microsoft CEO Bill Gates had called him to discuss matters relevant to each. Apple, and by association, Cook, has plenty to discuss with the President-elect.

Trump says Tim Cook from Apple called him, so did Bill Gates.

-- Maggie Haberman (@maggieNYT)

iPhone manufacture in the U.S.

In a campaign speech at Virginia's fundamentalist Liberty University in January, Trump promised that he would force Apple to manufacture its hardware in the US instead of looking to overseas labor.

At the same rally, Trump proposed a 35 percent tax on any business making goods overseas, including Apple.

Tim Cook has publicly rejected the idea of moving iPhone construction to the U.S., citing labor force and raw material issues. Regardless of public comments, Apple has reportedly commissioned reports by Foxconn and Pegatron to examine the possibility of migrating iPhone production, with mixed results.

Confusion about cash repatriation

While mass media portrays Trump's 10 percent overseas earnings tax proposal as a reduction in the effective taxation rate to repatriate cash, the proposal as it stands levies the tax regardless of they were returned to the U.S. or not.

Trump himself has made contradictory claims on what he plans to do about or for companies who wish to return a large overseas cash stash to the U.S.

Trump, on Apple encryption

Following the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone 5c encryption debacle, Trump called for a boycott of Appleback in February.

"First of all Apple should give the security for that phone, okay?" Trump said at a rally in South Carolina. "What I think you oughta do is boycott Apple until such time as they give that security number. How do you like... I just thought of that."

Investigators wanted Apple to create a backdoor in iOS to unlock an iPhone 5c that was tied to the 2015 massacre, but Apple said doing so would potentially compromise the security of every iPhone on the market.

Investments in Apple

In May, financial documents showed that Trump has multiple investments in Apple, worth between $1.1 million and $2.25 million.

At this point, it is unclear what the President-elect wants to do about potential conflicts of interest, with a Tweet earlier in the day suggesting that the U.S. voting base were fully aware of international business interests, and didn't care, during the election.

Prior to the election it was well known that I have interests in properties all over the world.Only the crooked media makes this a big deal!

-- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    The Trump government - The slow unfolding of a train wreck of epic proportions. He has already doubled back on most of his major campaign promises - vague as they were. 
    londorsingularityhammerd2gilly017nasseraeargonautration alboopthesnootSolidasanman69
  • Reply 2 of 66
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    paxman said:
    The Trump government - The slow unfolding of a train wreck of epic proportions. He has already doubled back on most of his major campaign promises - vague as they were. 
    He said exactly what he needed to in order to get elected and convinced enough fools to vote for him just like a professional politician. This will continue to happen during his presidency. A lot of the stuff he said he'd do I doubt he'll ever get accomplished. Whether or not the country will be better off in 4yrs, we'll just have to wait and see. It'll be interesting to see what his approval rating will be in a year or so.
    edited November 2016 mazda 3sgilly017nasseraecaliration alboopthesnootstanthemandasanman69anantksundaramlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 66
    paxman said:
    Nothing will really be "known" until he's in office as president. There's a lot of hysteria floating around out there that is pure speculation.
    mwhitedesignrcalipscooter63dasanman69gtrdunestockBig Guyequality72521tallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 66
    "First of all Apple should give the security for that phone, okay?" Trump said at a rally in South Carolina. "What I think you oughta do is boycott Apple until such time as they give that security number. How do you like... I just thought of that."

The Donald and his followers can turn over their computer and smartphone passwords to the NSA today, without waiting for an act of Congress. So let's begin with that, and see how many True Believers put national defense ahead of their personal privacy and security. "I just thought of that."
    edited November 2016 hammerd2gilly017rob53Rayz2016argonautcaliration alspice-boyanantksundaramlolliver
  • Reply 5 of 66
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
     A lot of the stuff he said he'd do I doubt he'll ever get accomplished. Whether or not the country will be better off in 4yrs, we'll just have to wait and see. It'll be interesting to see what his approval rating will be in a year or so.
    We'll probably be in protracted military engagements on three or four fronts in no time at all. 

It could ugly in a hurry.
    gilly017argonautspice-boylolliverbaconstang
  • Reply 6 of 66
    macxpress said:
    He said exactly what he needed to in order to get elected ...
    I'm beginning to think that's true.  Maybe he never intended to DO these things... he just SAID them to gain votes.  Once in office, he may act very differently.  Admittedly that would infuriate the millions who voted for him, but he'll have 4 years to run he country and may consider the alienation of his voters just "collateral damage" -- a means to an end.

(I voted strongly against him, so I'm not defending him... just trying to understand his behavior.)
    ration altycho24frankiecwingrav
  • Reply 7 of 66
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    macxpress said:
    I'm beginning to think that's true.  Maybe he never intended to DO these things... he just SAID them to gain votes.  Once in office, he may act very differently.  Admittedly that would infuriate the millions who voted for him, but he'll have 4 years to run he country and may consider the alienation of his voters just "collateral damage" -- a means to an end.

(I voted strongly against him, so I'm not defending him... just trying to understand his behavior.)
    Most people voted for him not because of the things he said but because he promised change. You may recall that Barack Obama also promised Hope and Change. The vast majority of Trump voters are not the racists, bigots, homophobes, or xenophobes as liberals would label them to be and they swallowed hard at some of the crap that emanated from his mouth. Truth is all ideologies have their lunatic fringe crazies that the media presents as the face of the parties. I’m going to assume Trump is a pragmatist at heart because he is a businessman. Ronald Regan and Tip O’Neil were at opposite ends of the political spectrum but they able to work out deals. But you are right, time will tell what he’s really all about. 
    mwhitecaliration albigpscooter63jonagoldequality72521lamboaudi4jbdragonjony0
  • Reply 8 of 66
    This guy talks way too much. When he isn't on twitter defending himself he's Mr. Tell-it-All. You won Mr. President-elect get on with it. Who cares who congratulated you. 
    anantksundarambaconstangfrankie
  • Reply 9 of 66
    I could see us getting a man on Mars pretty soon. But manufacturing an entire iPhone in the USA? Impossible, mostly from an economic, not a logistical, stance.

The amount of money American workers would demand would make the iPhone so expensive that sales would tank. Less sales equals less profit, which equals less money to pay workers, who must then be laid off, which means less American workers have jobs, and we're back to square one.
    edited November 2016 anantksundaramlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 66
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

The Donald and his followers can turn over their computer and smartphone passwords to the NSA today, without waiting for an act of Congress. So let's begin with that, and see how many True Believers put national defense ahead of their personal privacy and security. "I just thought of that."
    Good suggestion.  If they have done nothing wrong, they have nothing to hide, or so we have heard from the privacy ignoramuses.
    stanthemanbaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 11 of 66
    How'd Tim get Trump's number? He doesn't use an iPhone so he couldn't FaceTime him.
  • Reply 12 of 66
    macxpress said:

The millions of voted for him really voted against everything else.  I live in a Blood Red state (Stars and Bars Red), and every trump supporter had 1 issue they cared about, and the rest they could give a damn.   He will act differently.  He didn't INTEND to do anything... other than just win.  Stealing a line from from a fictitious president:
    ....and whatever your particular problem is, I promise you, [DONALD TRUMP] is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things and two things only: making you afraid of it and telling you who's to blame for it. That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you win elections. You gather a group of middle-aged, middle-class, middle-income voters who remember with longing an easier time, and you talk to them about family and American values and character. And wave an old photo of [Bill Clinton] and you scream about patriotism and you tell them, [He's] to blame for their lot in life, and you go on television and you call [Bill] a whore.

This line also resonates speaking about the 25% eligible voters (who happen to be in just enough of the right states to swing an electoral college vote)
    How do you have patience for people who claim they love America, but clearly can't stand Americans?
    edited November 2016 lolliverbaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 66
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    lkrupp said:
    macxpress said:

Most people voted for him not because of the things he said but because he promised change. You may recall that Barack Obama also promised Hope and Change. The vast majority of Trump voters are not the racists, bigots, homophobes, or xenophobes as liberals would label them to be and they swallowed hard at some of the crap that emanated from his mouth. Truth is all ideologies have their lunatic fringe crazies that the media presents as the face of the parties. I’m going to assume Trump is a pragmatist at heart because he is a businessman. Ronald Regan and Tip O’Neil were at opposite ends of the political spectrum but they able to work out deals. But you are right, time will tell what he’s really all about. 
    I beg to differ with your assessment. I live in the Pacific Northwest and even though Clinton took WA, OR, and CA, once you get away from I-5 in WA you find the same kind of people who live in the bible belt. A lot of them are racists, bigots, and everything else who say what I am is all that matters and to hell with everyone else, especially those commie liberals. Look at the county maps for the west coast. The vast amount of counties went for Trump. There's also a lot of people on the West Coast who want to split from the US. This is the State of Jefferson from northern CA to who knows how far north. I don't want to be like Donnie and call these people ignorant but a lot of these people are minimally educated, born and raised in more or less the same area, and are content with how they live. They don't care about other people, especially all those foreigners (without admitting their ancestors also were foreigners at one time). That said, a lot of Clinton voters are also racists and bigots because we can't stand those damn Republicans. Neither side is right but I just wish we could all get along. I don't see that happening as long as our President elect continues to think we can get along with people who have no desire to even try and get along with us. 
    edited November 2016 calibaconstangmacxpress
  • Reply 14 of 66
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    paxman said:
    Yes, apparently you're not getting a wall. It's going to be more like… a fence.
    anantksundarambaconstang
  • Reply 15 of 66
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Trump also said that Serena Williams was a good friend of his. That also turned out to be a bit of a fib. 

Source: Serena Williams.

calianantksundaramlolliverbaconstang
  • Reply 16 of 66
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Just so you know in advance, I am going to slam all of the hateful and ignorant, little liberals on here when it turns out that Trump actually turns out to be a good President.

Imagine if it turns out that Apple and other American companies will be able to repatriate all or most of their foreign cash during Trump's term. Trump is a doer, unlike the community organizer and full-time golfer that has held the position for the last 8 years. 

The guy hasn't even begun at his new job yet, and yet, probably all of the same idiots who loudly declared that Trump had a 0% chance of winning, are the same idiots that are now declaring his term to be a failure, when it hasn't even begun yet.

I suppose that these are the same clueless idiots who applauded and thought that it was a good idea when Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in advance, at the very beginning of his Presidency.

No matter what happens, I am going to enjoy the next 4 years, and I suspect that there will be a lot more crying, whining and tantrums to be had from liberals, who basically act like racist, adult babies. They will just have to be smacked down, that is how to deal with adult babies.
    jonagoldgtrdunestocktallest skiljbdragon
  • Reply 17 of 66
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    rob53 said:

I live in the Pacific Northwest and even though Clinton took WA, OR, and CA, once you get away from I-5 in WA you find the same kind of people who live in the bible belt. A lot of them are racists, bigots, and everything else who say what I am is all that matters and to hell with everyone else, especially those commie liberals.
    I'm sure there is a lot of resentment among those non-college educated rural dwellers against the liberal high wage earners near the urban areas, but I find it ironical that they are the very people who have the most to gain from Democratic ideals like social services, healthcare, childcare, public assistance, housing assistance, subsidized education and social security, yet they put their support behind a billionaire New York real estate investor who wants to take all that away and doesn't give a rat's ass about their situation. In this day and age you can't put people back to work who have no skills and no education. If you are in that situation your best hope is social aid and a Democratically controlled government, but they just don't get it.
    edited November 2016 ration alanantksundarambaconstangCthulhu's Chosen
  • Reply 18 of 66
    ben20ben20 Posts: 126member
    Maybe you guys should read the "Art of the deal". 
    tallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 19 of 66
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    macxpress said:

This Has been true For all the elections I've witnessed. 
  • Reply 20 of 66
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    paxman said:
    He's already said he will pull out of TPP on day one.

he has to do most of the Big Things like building a Wall and getting tough on free trade crap that screws American workers.

he shouldn't worry if the Price of an IPhone doubles because of Higher import tariffs.  Apple is California company and CA votes for the democrats so why worry about them.   Either they bring jobs back to USA (through lots of automation) or their stock will slide.

Cook better suck up to Trump - he's a bad CEO anyway - or of to Guantanamo.
    tallest skil