Apple to hold one-day Black Friday sales event after skipping 2015

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2016
Apple late Monday night posted a webpage teasing an upcoming one-day shopping event set for Black Friday, suggesting the company is reinstating its seasonal sale.

Light on information, Apple's Black Friday Special Offers webpage simply advertises a forthcoming "shopping event" scheduled for Friday, Nov. 25. Known as Black Friday, the date traditionally sees retailers slash prices on goods, marking the start to the holiday shopping season.

"Our one-day shopping event will be here before you know it. Come back this Friday to check everyone off your list," Apple says.

Apple previously participated in the annual consumer tradition by extending conservative sale prices on select merchandise, including popular products like iPad and Mac. The company decided to scale back offers to bundled gift cards in 2013, then went back to device discounts for the 2014 holiday. Apple nixed Black Friday promotions altogether in 2015.

While pricing and availability has yet to be announced, Apple is advertising free two-day delivery on in-stock items ordered through its online store by 5:00 p.m. Customers often take advantage of Apple's generous shipping rates to check off last-minute gifts.

The Black Friday webpage also includes links to curated Holiday Gift collections for Apple products, Music gifts, photography accessories and games and toys. Those looking for stocking stuffers are provided a link to purchase Apple gift cards.

Apple's deals are not expected to outclass those from authorized resellers and retail channel vendors. For example, AppleInsider readers can already enjoy slashed Touch Bar MacBook Pro prices from Adorama and iPhone 7, MacBook Pro and iMac hardware discounts from B&H Photo.

Make sure to check out AppleInsider's Price Guides for the latest deals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    So.  How about putting AirPods on that Black Friday page, Apple?
    slprescottrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    AppleInsider readers can already enjoy slashed Touch Bar MacBook Pro prices from Adorama and iPhone 7, MacBook Pro and iMac hardware discounts from B&H Photo.

AppleInsider readers in the USA can...

It would be nice if those of us outside the US can get similar discounts. I've resorted to buying my last two MBP's during visits to the US and taking time to visit states like Delaware etc where I can buy at a retail outlet without paying sales tax.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 11
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    The AirPods are the only thing that would tempt me at the moment. Normally I'd want a 10% discount to offset the tax break I'd get from ordering from B&H or Adorama. In the past Apple discounts weren't very deep at all– something like 5–10% IIRC.

If I could get the AirPods, I'd pay full retail, if only just to try them out.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    macgui said:
    The AirPods are the only thing that would tempt me at the moment. Normally I'd want a 10% discount to offset the tax break I'd get from ordering from B&H or Adorama. In the past Apple discounts weren't very deep at all– something like 5–10% IIRC.

If I could get the AirPods, I'd pay full retail, if only just to try them out.
    Honestly I'm holding out for the BeatsX instead. The features of the W1 chip are really all I want...and I'm allured by the in-ear buds, the cabled design with magnetic buds, and lightning charging.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Will be hard for Apple to compete with tax-free offers from 3rd party vendors. Would have to offer $200 off a 15" MBP just to break even with full retail from B&H.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    The most consistent (and best in my opinion) Apple deal is the roughly 20% off iTunes cards that lots of retailers offer each year. Meijer is offering $5 off a $25 card right now with a limit of 4 cards: https://www.bfads.net/Item/Meijer-Thanksgiving-iTunes-25-Gift-Card/363523

The deals on these right now let me stock up on my music, video, and Apple services for the year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    "...including popular products like iPad and Mac"

Quarterly results tell otherwise
  • Reply 8 of 11
    schlack said:
    Will be hard for Apple to compete with tax-free offers from 3rd party vendors. Would have to offer $200 off a 15" MBP just to break even with full retail from B&H.
    I doubt Apple cares where you buy your Apple stuff.  They have no reason to cannibalize their 3rd party partners' sales by offering amazing prices at apple.com (although I wouldn't complain).

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11

simply258 said:
    "...including popular products like iPad and Mac"

Quarterly results tell otherwise
    MacBooks and iPads aren't "popular"?  Companies would kill to have "unpopular" products like that (with Apple's margins and customer satisfaction).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Costco usually has really good deals on iTunes gift cards - I get a bunch of those every year to use as stocking stuffers