Buy Mac? Why? PC user, ignorant to Apple.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by cmdrspidey:

<strong>That is exactly some of the info I was looking for. All of the info today has been great. I have posted questions on PC boards and I get alot of "newbie leave us alone" comments.</strong><hr></blockquote>

A much-overlooked benefit to owning a Mac over a PC.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    dracdrac Posts: 14member

<strong>I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a new computer. I am a PC user and have done some research on Macs based on friend's recommendations. I usually use my PC for internet, and digital photography. I would like to do some video editing from the video tape of my kids and burn them to DVD. I am not one who thinks a 3.0 Mhz PC is three times faster than a 1 Mhz Mac. I am just looking for some insight as to why Macs are THAT much better than PCs. Is OS X that much more stable than windows? Is the Mac that much better to justify the extra cost? Just wondering. Thanks to anyone who pitches in with their thoughts. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Here's the perspective from someone who switched to a Mac from years on the Windows side.

I must confess that I used to hate Macs. I couldn't understand why people would use them, given their cost and small marketshare. Then my GF got a Mac and we started developing Mac software at work so Macs became more plentiful.

I've been a Mac owner for close to two years, using a G3 iMac 500 mhz. I love the machine and when I upgrade, it will be a Mac.

When making the decision to switch or not to switch, you need to carefully look at what you want to achieve with your computer. Like you, I did a lot of net surfing with the computer. The Mac came preconfigured with email programs, browsers etc, so that wasn't a problem. I did have an issue converting my email from Netscape mail over to Outlook Express. The Mac OS X "Mail" program was able to convert my Windows Netscape mail and my OS 9 OE mail no problem. The only area where I've had some issues is with certain AVI files, though almost everything else I've seen on the net plays flawlessly. Quicktime is an apple program, so that's not an issue. Windows Media and RealOne Player are also on the Mac and Flash is a Mac standard. No issues there.

I like to create graphics (on an amateur level for sure) and that's not a problem either ... Macs are built for graphics, so there's an abudence of Mac graphics apps. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Macromedia Flash and Freehand, CorelDRAW and Deneba Canvas are all on the Mac, so I was able to easily bring all my files over. In terms of video, the Mac ships with an excellent low-end video program called iMovie, which is great for what you want to do. Very, very easy to use.

In terms of WordProcessing, I was able to easily convert all of my old files over. MS Office is, in many ways better on Mac than it is on Windows. Unfortunately, it is more expensive. I had a lot of WordPerfect files, which were a bit more problematic as WP is out-of-date on the Mac. On the other hand, it's often available as a free download, if you look closely. I was able to get around the compatability issue with MacLink Plus and Virtual PC (which enabled me to run the latest WP on my Mac). The Mac also came bundled with a decent little Office Suite called Appleworks that won't give either MS Office or WordPerfect on Windows a run for money in terms of overall features, but it handed regular day-to-day tasks admirably.

I did have to find some new apps to do what I wanted to do. I used to use HotMetal and Netscape composer for my (very amateurish) web design programs. Composer is on the Mac, but it kinda sucks. I ended up replacing it with Adobe Pagemill 3 and later Dreamweaver 4 (which goes way beyond my limited skills but is a nice app). When all was said and done, even though the Mac has a smaller library of software, the big apps from Windows were usually also on the Mac and there were lots of Public Domain and Shareware alternatives. Apple was also quite smart in that the Mac came bundled with a lot of day-to-day apps for regular tasks ... Appleworks for WordProcessing, Quicken for finance, web browsers, email programs, fax programs, iTunes for burning CDs, iMovie for editing digital video games etc. I didn't even have to even look for new apps for a while.

The toughest area for me has been in doing MIDI stuff with my keyboard and playing games. As an amateur musician, I used to use Cakewalk on Windows. When I switched to the Mac, I bought Steinberg Cubasis for the Classic OS and I didn't have a good experience with it. On OS X, there seems to be a dearth of MIDI programs in this price/capability range at this point.

I also had some issues playing games. Most of the big titles seemed to come out on the mac, but the selection wasn't the same as on Windows. I do play a lot of emulated games and the Mac seems to have emulators for most of the classic systems. I'm not sure how much of an issue that is, as the Playstation consoles et al are pretty common.

In terms of hardware, I did have to replace a printer that was parallel based, though printers have come down in price so much that it wasn't a bother. Plus, with the Macs now be USB based, there were plenty to choose from. I also had to buy a MIDI interface that was USB based and a joypad that was USB based. On the other hand, my tablet, digital camera and portable disk drive (which were USB based) came over flawlessly.

But enough about the switch. Here are some thoughts about the overall experience.

In terms of stability, I was initially disappointed in this. People told me that Macs were more stable, but I actually didn't find this with Mac OS 9 ... it had a habit of freezing a lot. While individual apps tended to crash less than on Windows, the whole OS seemed to freeze more. That being said, I soon learned some system maintenance tricks and that a 'freeze' didn't always mean a crash and the problem was better. I did notice that the Mac was much less likely to experience hardware conflicts (it helps when the developer of the OS also makes the main hardware) and much less likely to be hit by viruses.

On Mac OS X, the stability is extremely good. I've only hung it once since I've been using it and the apps crash less. It's definitely more stable (in my experience) than Windows. In fairness though, Windows is also much more stable than before.

Where the Mac really shined was in user friendliness. I was quite surprised at this, given that Windows also has that WYSIWYG environment. On the Mac, you uninstall something by dropping it in the trash. On the mac, you can back up an app by dragging and dropping it onto a CD. I plugged in my digital camera and it worked ... no drivers. Ditto for my disk drive. At times, it's so logical and easy that you find yourself strugging to do a task because it's almost too easy! I remember when the cable guy came to set up my high speed net access. He walked in with a bunch of manuals and discs. He saw the mac, put it all away and had me up and running in about five minutes.

One thing I did notice right away, which helped justify the extra cost. was the quality of the hardware. The monitor on the mac was crisp and clear, compared to my Windows monitor. The sound was bright and clear through the system speakers, moreso than my old PC speakers. The CD-Writer has yet to wreck a CD, whereas my old HP CD writer used to wreck every third CD. The keyboard and Mouse were both of really nice quality.

One thing that's a bit silly, but I find Macs fun. The community is really open. The system is nice looking, fun to use etc. I find myself enjoying the use of the computer more than on Windows.

In the end, you need to decide what you want to do with your computer. For me, I wanted a system that was more stable, which the Mac delivered in the end. I needed to perform certain tasks, which it did easily. I wanted to be able to use my legacy Windows graphics, HTML, music, email and wordprocessing files ... and was able to. I wanted an easy-to-use computer, which the Mac delivered on. I have yet to have it break down at all (can't say the same for any of my Wintel machines) and the quality is good overall.

In all honesty, try one out. That will be the best way to determine if you want one.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    [quote]Originally posted by MacLuv:

<strong>I would hold off until Apple gets it's hardware in order.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nah theres no need its great as it is.

I'm pretty new to mac had it a few months now after using a pc at home the past few years and an amiga in the past also used acorns and sgi systems so I've used quite a range of systems and I have to say my new mac is the nicest machine around to use.

Also about alleged speed issues, well in my experience the new macs are as fast as anyones really going to need for now, I find them and brand new pcs about the same speed really, only osx feels less clunky because pcs are constantly redrawing everything and such, also the interface in general is pretty awful as you probably know.

Anyway why dont you give mac a try you wont regret it
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted a response and answered my questions. I have done more research and become more familiar with Macs. I went to the local Apple store and went through the "i" apps. I also took my video camera to the store to see if if worked, which it did even though it is not listed as a compatible camera. If I can throw a sale pitch at the wife for a new computer, it will be an Apple, no doubt.

Thanks again. Never got this much of a postive response to questions on standard PC boards.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member

<strong>

I went to the local Apple store and went through the "i" apps. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Just a heads up, three of the four iApps (excluding iTunes) are due for an upgrade by the end of the month. All three programs look to be greatly improved. You can check it out here:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/ilife/"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/ilife/</a>
  • Reply 26 of 33
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Good to hear you got the help you needed. If your wife likes the Mac, maybe we'll have another switcher. Good luck!
  • Reply 27 of 33
    And this thread is a perfect example of why I have switched and will always be a MAC faithful. Just about Everyone here will help you with any type of questions or problems. Its like this board is a Family all to its own!
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I had an easy time switching from a PC to a Mac. It would be impossible to reverse that decision knowing what i know now.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Well folks, looks like the wife has given permission to get a new computer and a Mac at that. I think I wore her down from all of the hounding. Again, thanks to everyone here for helping out with information. I have seen similar threads recently, and all I can say to those looking to possibly switch from PCs, go to an Apple Store and get your hands on one. Try out your cameras to see if they are compatible. Ask a million quesitons. I was very impressed. As soon as I get one, I'll let you guys know.. woo hoo.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Mac.

Not MAc.

Not MAC.

Mac.

That is all. Thanks.

• Reply 31 of 33
    Thank you murbot.

Having a mac is like having a Porsche. It's cool, it's comfortable, and women like it. But it performs the same as a lot of less expensive cars. The mac is cool, it's comfortable, and women like it. (not as much as a porsche though). It also costs more than computers than perform similarly. You just have to ask yourself if the comfort and coolness are worth it.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    [quote]Having a mac is like having a Porsche. It's cool, it's comfortable, and women like it. But it performs the same as a lot of less expensive cars.<hr></blockquote>

Being fortunate enough to have an older brother who really picked the right line of work, I can assure you that a Porsche performs like a Porsche. A BMW 325i may perform much the same as a VW Jetta, but a Porsche 911 GT3 performs like nothing else outside F1.

In fact, any Porsche owner would want you tied to a tree and given 10 lashes for even suggesting they bought their car for the looks. Porsche is, and always has been, ALL about the performance. BMW is about looks and comfort, Ferrari is about prestige, Porsche is about performance. And not just the 0-60-in-a-straight-line kind, but all-around eating-the-road-like-Cookie-Monster-on-crack performance.

Erm, and Macs are just like that too (I swear this isn't a hijack, really)!
  • Reply 33 of 33
    the issue of not having to worry about many of the what? 50,000 60,000? windows virus's running around out there is worth the little extra over a cheap pc.

i remember when i had my imac and my co-workers rushing up to me warning me about the latest weekly pc virus, and me calmly reminding them that it didn't affect me because i had a mac. they're whole system went down.

and i dont know who makes the screens for apple but mine was better than the one i have now on this pc.

so yes go get that mac.

my only problem is, which one?

now where's my 970? lol