President-elect Trump says Apple CEO Tim Cook phoned him after victory

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    Its very interesting to sit back and watch people discuss politics....

Whether you love him or hate him, are democrat or republican, lets just sit back and see what happens.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 42 of 66
    apple ][ said:

The guy hasn't even begun at his new job yet, and yet, probably all of the same idiots who loudly declared that Trump had a 0% chance of winning, are the same idiots that are now declaring his term to be a failure, when it hasn't even begun yet.

If he ends up being at least a half-successful president, it'll be because he gives up on every campaign promise and just becomes an ordinary Republican puppet. Don't hold your breath for change
  • Reply 43 of 66
    paxman said:
    The Trump government - The slow unfolding of a train wreck of epic proportions. He has already doubled back on most of his major campaign promises - vague as they were. 
    As someone once said, no one goes broke underestimating the stupidity of the American public. Or something to that effect.... 
    Didn't 'he' say that he was more intelligent than most of the people voting for him and that they basically don't realise that they are thick/stupid.
    Seems to confirm that the American Public are stupid. Their Homer simpson moment perhaps (Doh!)
    Yep. He was more specific: he said "Republicans."

As an aside, people like @Apple][ don't get it yet, but the first ones to get grabbed by the nether regions by Trump will be the group of breathless, uninformed, rabid voters like him. Trump is already walking back huge swathes of promises, including on climate change, water boarding, etc etc. (See his interview with the New York Times yesterday). 
    farmboysingularitymobius
  • Reply 44 of 66
    apple ][ said:
    Gosh, you're a sore winner.

Not that you likely care, but that's pretty pathetic to watch.
    A battle has been won, but the war is not over. 
    See my post #45 above. 

Good luck with that 'war.'
  • Reply 45 of 66
    anantksundaram said:

As an aside, people like @Apple][ don't get it yet, but the first ones to get grabbed by the nether regions by Trump will be the group of breathless, uninformed, rabid voters like him. Trump is already walking back huge swathes of promises, including on climate change, water boarding, etc etc. (See his interview with the New York Times yesterday). 
    Walking back on promises? The News paper which printed negative things about him, twisted everything about him for last year. Finally realized their mistake as their ratings are down. There is only one way to learn for most people and organizations, that is, when it hits home. And purpose of the interview was to cement the relations with him.

He knows, whatever he says, New York Times will twist it. This time he was being diplomatic, after all he is the president of The United States Of America.

However, I expected more sense from you to know that already. But well..
    edited November 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 46 of 66
    crowley said:
    gtr said:

1). The guy has basically financed his own nomination campaign and owes no favours.
    If you buy into the "self-financed" con of Trump filling his own pockets with his supporters' donations then you'll believe anything.
    There are numbers out there in public which you can go and look up. He invested nearly 100 million dollars of his own money. If you care to verify.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 47 of 66
    paxman said:
    He has already doubled back on most of his major campaign promises
    Thanks for the lies, kid.
    macxpress said:
    A lot of the stuff he said he'd do I doubt he'll ever get accomplished.
    Rayz2016 said:
    Yes, apparently you're not getting a wall. It's going to be more like… a fence.

Enjoy being proven more wrong than you could have ever imagined.

volcan said:
    We'll probably be in protracted military engagements on three or four fronts in no time at all. 
    Any evidence of that, or…?

The right only acknowledges his term in the US Senate as if he didn't spend seven years in the Illinois State Senate. Nice!
    Where he did… fuck all. How about that. His opponent was FAR more qualified in every respect.
    …hate speech.
    Doesn’t exist, so no.
    If Trump puts a 40% tariff on overseas products the US dollars in our pockets are going to devalue.
    1. Nope.
    2. It literally cannot possibly get any worse than it is now by ACTUALLY PROTECTING AMERICAN INTERESTS.

bluefire1 said:
    ...he backtracked on his promise to have his Attorney General try to lock Hillary up, and he didn’t mention Obamacare in his goals for his first 100 days.
    Try again with something that was actually said.
    gtr said:
    You're almost twenty trillion dollars in the hole, America. Time to try a different strategy.
    The debt is, in all truth, 100% meaningless. There is more than 1 dollar of debt in existence for every dollar in existence. It physically cannot ever be repaid. What matters are the consequence and source of the debt: promises made to the American people that cannot EVER be fulfilled financially. We have to end all social security NOW. NOW. NOW. before it bankrupts itself in a decade and collapses all at once.
    Perhaps he should ban himself right now. He tried to get a friend of his (Nigel Farage) appointed as UK Ambassador to the USA. If that is not a clear breach of thar rule, then I don't know what is.
    Yes, you don’t know what is. Holy fucking shit.
    I have a $100 bet on DT not lasting his full first term as President.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH Is this you?
    If he ends up being at least a half-successful president, it'll be because he gives up on every campaign promise and just becomes an ordinary Republican puppet.
    And you base this bullshit on what, exactly? The last 50 years of such great “success” from doing that? Do you know fuck all about history, or is your hinder just still sore?
    anantksundaram said:
    Trump is already walking back huge swathes of promises, including on climate change…
    Try a little harder.
    edited November 2016 slingwinggtr
  • Reply 48 of 66
    slingwing said:
    anantksundaram said:

Walking back on promises? The News paper which printed negative things about him, twisted everything about him for last year. Finally realized their mistake as their ratings are down. There is only one way to learn for most people and organizations, that is, when it hits home. And purpose of the interview was to cement the relations with him.

He knows, whatever he says, New York Times will twist it. This time he was being diplomatic, after all he is the president of The United States Of America.

Here's the complete transcript (which he has neither questioned nor corrected, hence it must be accurate): http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/us/politics/trump-new-york-times-interview-transcript.html?_r=0

I don't expect you'll read it, though. I'll wait for a response, in the unlikely event that you did read it.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 49 of 66
    Here’s the complete transcript…
    Nothing you’ve said or presented here refutes his statement in any way.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    Here’s the complete transcript…
    Nothing you’ve said or presented here refutes his statement in any way.
    Really? Didn't read it, did ya?

1) On the New York Times (which apparently you and @slingwing dislike, and Trump has repeatedly tweeted about how useless, disgusting and 'failing' they are): TRUMP: I have great respect for The New York Times. Tremendous respect. It’s very special. Always has been very special.

2) On climate change: TRUMP: I’m looking at it very closely, Tom. I’ll tell you what. I have an open mind to it. We’re going to look very carefully. I have a very open mind. And I’m going to study a lot of the things that happened on it and we’re going to look at it very carefully. But I have an open mind.

3) More on climate change: JAMES BENNET, editorial page editor: When you say an open mind, you mean you’re just not sure whether human activity causes climate change? Do you think human activity is or isn’t connected? TRUMP: I think right now … well, I think there is some connectivity. There is some, something. It depends on how much. 

4) On the Paris Climate Agreement: TRUMP: I’m going to take a look at it.

5) On Obama (who, I think you don't care much for, but Trump in the stumps certainly didn't): TRUMP: I never met him before. I really liked him a lot. The meeting was supposed to be 10 minutes, 15 minutes max, because there were a lot of people waiting outside, for both of us. And it ended up being — you were there — I guess an hour-and-a-half meeting, close. And it was a great chemistry. ...He said very nice things after the meeting and I said very nice things about him. I really enjoyed my meeting with him. We have — you know, we come from different sides of the equation, but it’s nevertheless something that — I didn’t know if I’d like him. I probably thought that maybe I wouldn’t, but I did, I did like him. I really enjoyed him a lot. I’ve spoken to him since the meeting.

6) HABERMAN: Where are you — and waterboarding? TRUMP: So, I met with General Mattis, who is a very respected guy.  ... I said, what do you think of waterboarding? He said — I was surprised — he said, ‘I’ve never found it to be useful.’ ...But I’ll tell you what, I was impressed by that answer. It certainly does not — it’s not going to make the kind of a difference that maybe a lot of people think. If it’s so important to the American people, I would go for it. I would be guided by that. But General Mattis found it to be very less important, much less important than I thought he would say. I thought he would say — you know he’s known as Mad Dog Mattis, right? Mad Dog for a reason. I thought he’d say ‘It’s phenomenal, don’t lose it.’ He actually said, ‘No, give me some cigarettes and some drinks, and we’ll do better.’

singularity
  • Reply 51 of 66
    slingwing said:
    anantksundaram said:

Here's the complete transcript (which he has neither questioned nor corrected, hence it must be accurate): http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/us/politics/trump-new-york-times-interview-transcript.html?_r=0

I don't expect you'll read it, though. I'll wait for a response, in the unlikely event that you did read it.
    Trump on climate change: "I have an open mind to it." - You call it walking back?

Trump on waterboarding: "
    If it’s so important to the American people, I would go for it." - He is leaning on the toughest colonel we have. He is taking his sage advice and that you call backtracking?

The leftist agenda is more messed up than I thought. I'm not going to respond to your every leftist rant. Unless you have something substantial and intelligent to say. I do think you are an intelligent person. But may be you are just influenced by biased media instead of understanding things on your own.
    edited November 2016 tallest skil
  • Reply 52 of 66
    slingwing said:
    slingwing said:
    anantksundaram said:

Trump on climate change: "I have an open mind to it." - You call it walking back?

Trump on waterboarding: "If it’s so important to the American people, I would go for it." - He is leaning on the toughest colonel we have. He is taking his sage advice and that you call backtracking?

The leftist agenda is more messed up than I thought. I'm not going to respond to your every leftist rant. Unless you have something substantial and intelligent to say. I do think you are an intelligent person. But may be you are just influence by biased media instead of understanding things on your own.
    (MY REPLIES ARE IN CAPS; NOT MEANT TO CONVEY YELLING, BUT INTENDED TO MAKE MY ANSWERS DISTINGUISHABLE -- DAMN, I MISS THE OPTION THAT AI USED TO HAVE FOR DIFFERENT-COLORED FONTS IN POSTS)
    Trump on climate change: "I have an open mind to it." - You call it walking back? YES, I DO. I THINK THAT THIS IS A FAR CRY FROM HIS PRIOR STATEMENTS -- MULTIPLE TIMES -- THAT "CLIMATE CHANGE IS A CHINESE HOAX" (OR WORDS TO THAT EFFECT; I CAN FIND THE EXACT QUOTE IF YOU'RE INTERESTED).

Trump on waterboarding: "If it’s so important to the American people, I would go for it." - He is leaning on the toughest colonel we have. He is taking his sage advice and that you call backtracking? YES, I DO. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT THIS IS NOT THE MAINSTREAM ADVICE HE'S GOING TO GET FROM HIS MILITARY COMMANDERS? THEY'RE DEEPLY CONCERNED THAT THEIR SOLDIERS COULD GET ACCUSED OF TORTURE. THAT WOULD BE PRETTY SERIOUS. (BTW, IT MIGHT SURPRISE YOU, BUT PERSONALLY SPEAKING, I AM NOT OPPOSED TO ENHANCED INTERROGATION TECHNIQUES TO DEAL WITH SOME OF THESE ISIS THUGS).

INCIDENTALLY, WHY DID YOU IGNORE THE OTHER FOUR POINTS I SHOWED YOU HE MADE?

(YOUR LAST PARA IS JUST AD HOMINEM STUFF, SO NOT WORTHY OF A RESPONSE).
  • Reply 53 of 66
    slingwing said:

Trump on waterboarding: "If it’s so important to the American people, I would go for it." - He is leaning on the toughest colonel we have. He is taking his sage advice and that you call backtracking?

The leftist agenda is more messed up than I thought. I'm not going to respond to your every leftist rant. Unless you have something substantial and intelligent to say. I do think you are an intelligent person. But may be you are just influence by biased media instead of understanding things on your own.
    (MY REPLIES ARE IN CAPS; NOT MEANT TO CONVEY YELLING, BUT INTENDED TO MAKE MY ANSWERS DISTINGUISHABLE -- DAMN, I MISS THE OPTION THAT AI USED TO HAVE FOR DIFFERENT-COLORED FONTS IN POSTS)
    Trump on climate change: "I have an open mind to it." - You call it walking back? YES, I DO. I THINK THAT THIS IS A FAR CRY FROM HIS PRIOR STATEMENTS -- MULTIPLE TIMES -- THAT "CLIMATE CHANGE IS A CHINESE HOAX" (OR WORDS TO THAT EFFECT; I CAN FIND THE EXACT QUOTE IF YOU'RE INTERESTED).

Trump on waterboarding: "If it’s so important to the American people, I would go for it." - He is leaning on the toughest colonel we have. He is taking his sage advice and that you call backtracking? YES, I DO. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT THIS IS NOT THE MAINSTREAM ADVICE HE'S GOING TO GET FROM HIS MILITARY COMMANDERS? THEY'RE DEEPLY CONCERNED THAT THEIR SOLDIERS COULD GET ACCUSED OF TORTURE. THAT WOULD BE PRETTY SERIOUS. (BTW, IT MIGHT SURPRISE YOU, BUT PERSONALLY SPEAKING, I AM NOT OPPOSED TO ENHANCED INTERROGATION TECHNIQUES TO DEAL WITH SOME OF THESE ISIS THUGS).

>YES, I DO. I THINK THAT THIS IS A FAR CRY FROM HIS PRIOR STATEMENTS -- MULTIPLE TIMES -- THAT "CLIMATE CHANGE IS A CHINESE HOAX" (OR WORDS TO >THAT EFFECT; I CAN FIND THE EXACT QUOTE IF YOU'RE INTERESTED).

You think when a person makes one statement that's all he has to say on that topic? Some of us are smart and they have various ideas and learn everyday and their views change when facts change. NOT AT ALL I'm saying that Trump has changed his views one bit. AGAIN it is called diplomacy.

>YES, I DO. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT THIS IS NOT THE MAINSTREAM ADVICE HE'S GOING TO GET FROM HIS MILITARY COMMANDERS? THEY'RE DEEPLY >CONCERNED THAT THEIR SOLDIERS COULD GET ACCUSED OF TORTURE. THAT WOULD BE PRETTY SERIOUS. (BTW, IT MIGHT SURPRISE YOU, BUT PERSONALLY >SPEAKING, I AM NOT OPPOSED TO ENHANCED INTERROGATION TECHNIQUES TO DEAL WITH SOME OF THESE ISIS THUGS)

- These are commanders, they lay their lives down to protect us and our freedom so you and I can have this open discussion.
    - NO, they are not worried a bit that their soldiers will be accused, people those who are worried about those things do not put their lives on line. They leave this worry to leftist folks who think flying OLD GLORY is not inclusion of all, see todays news a college in MA is doing that.

- (As a side note) Current administration which has been there for last 8 years, YES, they have cooked intelligence reports about ISIS which our military uses to makes decisions, just to paint a favorable picture that ISIS is not a threat (look it up, this is coming from generals, not some shady reporters). Heck, they cannot even use the word "radical".

You statements might be true in context of administration for last eight years. It does not hold water for President Trump or some of our greatest generals.

Facts sometimes seems like AD HOMINEM. Can't do much about that.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 54 of 66
    Really? Didn't read it, did ya?
    Read it. Nothing you highlighted refutes his statement. Maybe there’s something else that does, but given that you didn’t read or comprehend his statement in the first place, I doubt it.
    DAMN, I MISS THE OPTION THAT AI USED TO HAVE FOR DIFFERENT-COLORED FONTS IN POSTS)
    Just multiquote. It’s not even that much of a pain (not nearly as easy as in vBulletin, though).
    You call it walking back? YES, I DO.
    Then you don’t understand what the phrase means. Environmentalism has nothing to do with anthropogenic global warming.
    YES, I DO.
    Then you have zero comprehension of what Trump said and no knowledge of Mattis’ history. Mattis is one of the best generals we’ve had since Patton. Who, incidentally, should have been allowed to rearm the Wehrmacht and march on Moscow in 1945 like he wanted. Can you even comprehend how much better the world would be if the Cold War had never happened and the Romanovs had been restored to the Russian throne?
    THEY'RE DEEPLY CONCERNED THAT THEIR SOLDIERS COULD GET ACCUSED OF TORTURE.
    Except if said actions are allowed…

edited November 2016
  • Reply 55 of 66
    Then you have zero comprehension of what Trump said and no knowledge of Mattis’ history. Mattis is one of the best generals we’ve had since Patton. Who, incidentally, should have been allowed to rearm the Wehrmacht and march on Moscow in 1945 like he wanted. Can you even comprehend how much better the world would be if the Cold War had never happened and the Romanovs had been restored to the Russian throne?
    THEY'RE DEEPLY CONCERNED THAT THEIR SOLDIERS COULD GET ACCUSED OF TORTURE.
    Except if said actions are allowed…

dear gods you really are totally detached from reality. Patton should have marched on moscow :D :D :D :D now that would have ended in glorious bloody and humiliating defeat. The USSR had nearly 13 million men (and women) in their armed forces by 1945 and not forgetting the t34 and t34-85 tanks (about 12k) that out classed most if not all of the Allied tanks. On a conventional war it would have been a total slaughter (on both sides) that would have put WW1 to shame.

as for your "action were allowed" statement, the Nuremberg trials established "i was only following orders" is no defence.

• Reply 56 of 66
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    slingwing said:
    slingwing said:
    anantksundaram said:

Are you aware that you're attempting to prove what is true by quoting the words of a politician? ;-)

I myself believe that Trump falls into the 'don't telegraph your moves' camp.

Wait and see, people.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    ben20 said:
    Maybe you guys should read the "Art of the deal". 
    Maybe Trump should.  It was ghost-written and the writer states he is a psychopath.
  • Reply 58 of 66
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    paxman said:
    I am sure many here have read this critical article on the Republican Party and on Trump. If you are a Trump supporter or die hard republican you may not want to, but it is an intelligent and yes, very gloomy look at the status quo. 

https://apple.news/AAYC79ZYYSJGlQr_BtzZxrA
    Great amazing read.  Thank you for this.
  • Reply 59 of 66
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    crowley said:
    gtr said:

1). The guy has basically financed his own nomination campaign and owes no favours.
    If you buy into the "self-financed" con of Trump filling his own pockets with his supporters' donations then you'll believe anything.
    Unless of course I actually read the details of the email his party put out asking for donations and which clearly explained he would contribute 'x' amount of dollars of his own money for every dollar I donated.

There's a difference between self financing (paying the entire amount yourself - which you assumed I was referring to) and self financing (arranging to get the amount yourself) and there's an even bigger difference between accepting donations from supporters and taking millions of dollars from Wall St or a foreign entity.

Trump is, as far as I recall, the first politician going into office with the freedom to make decisions without considering donors first. I'm surprised you can't see the the benefit of that.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 60 of 66
    farmboy said:
    ben20 said:
    Maybe you guys should read the "Art of the deal". 
    Maybe you should read the statements of the real author of that book, who absolutely blasts Trump. Donnie couldn't write a coloring book. He's a pathological liar and con artist.
    Are you accusing him of being a politician?
    tallest skilgtr