LG's UltraFine 5K Display gets unboxing treatment in new video

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited November 2016
LG's 27-inch UltraFine 5K Display, developed in partnership with Apple to complement the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, received a traditional unboxing on Wednesday ahead of expected public availability in December.

While orders for the standalone monitor are not expected to go live for at least another week, YouTube tech reviewer Marques Brownlee was able to get his hands on a production unit for testing alongside the new Touch Bar MacBook Pro.

Like most unboxing videos, Brownlee offers a basic specifications rundown and reveals bundled accessories which include a power cable, Thunderbolt 3 cable and VESA wall mount. The video also includes a quick setup and hardware feature tour.

As noted by Apple during October's media event, the LG 5K UltraFine acts as a central Thunderbolt 3 hub for the new MacBook Pro lineup. With built-in speakers, three USB 3.1 ports and 85 watts of charging power, the display serves as a suitable replacement for the erstwhile Thunderbolt Display.

Measuring 27 inches on the diagonal, the 5K UltraFine model supports resolutions up to 5,120-by-2,880 with DCI-P3 color, a wide color gamut standard Apple first adopted with the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. The P3 colorspace is now available on the Phone 7 series and current MacBook Pro variants.

The 5K UltraFine Display accompanies a smaller 21.5-inch 4K model that features many of the same trappings, but pares down connectivity to one USB 3.1 port and 60 watts of charging power.

Exclusive to Apple, LG's 4K and 5K UltraFine Displays carry retail prices of $699.95 and $1,299.95, respectively. Earlier this month, however, Apple quietly slashed 25 percent off retail pricing for both models, dropping the 4K model down to $524 and the 5K version to $974. The limited time offer is good through Dec. 31, 2016.

Early preorder customers are already receiving shipments of the 4K model, though current order estimates show a lead time of 5 to 6 weeks. The 5K model is not yet up for purchase, though Apple's website estimates availability in December.
pulseimages

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    Good review. Thanks. If you go to the full MacBook Pro set up, replacing your Mac Pro, can you report on using supplemental tools, wireless keyboard/mouse, etc.? (I prefer a full size keyboard ... know I loose the toucher etc.) ...
    pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 25
    That's great for him that he may be able to switch to a laptop.  For a lot of us, that is just not an option.   Why Apple why...?   RIP MacPro as us old pro users scramble to learn the ins and out of windows.  :disappointed: 
    wozwoz
  • Reply 3 of 25
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    If only it had front glass edge-to-edge like my 5K iMac. The matte bezels coupled with a glossy screen just don't look good together at all.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    It's time Apple made an iMac that has the display separated from the computer. Some kind of 'Mac Mini Pro' approach. The iMac is a bad deal because if the computer dies, people throw away the entire machine (or vice verse when the monitor dies). And the current iMac with its huge bezel deals dated and doesn't allow the user to modify the monitor height, similar to the LG one.

pulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 25
    "the display serves as a suitable replacement for the erstwhile Thunderbolt Display" Does 'suitable' beg assumption or further definition...? Is the assumption of 'replacement' an issue for those happy with their beautiful unibody Thunderbolt or LED Cinema displays?
    edited November 2016 wozwozjdw
  • Reply 6 of 25
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    I believe none of those who commented bought the last iteration of Apple products. The funny thing is they can't leave the past because it is more comfortable.
    Rayz2016Mikeymikeindyfxpulseimagesjony0
  • Reply 7 of 25
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Matte display?
    pulseimagesjdw
  • Reply 8 of 25
    - The Apple Thunderbolt Display 27 had: three powered USB 2.0 ports, a Firewire 800 port, a Thunderbolt port, and an Ethernet port. - How can this display be a "suitable dock" with having just 3 USB ports? Furthermore: - ugly matte plastic design with thicker top bezel that does not fit to any premium Apple product - no edge-to-edge display glass (yes, I love it on my old cinema display and iMac) It's a huge let-down for all Apple users to get the suggestion to put such ugly display on my table, be it in office, or at home. Offering at least one (!) display option is not about making money for Apple, but about offering a consistent user experience. If I want to work with an external display (with my Macbook, or as a second display for my iMac) I want to look at the same glass-covered screen, with a similar design, and not get eye-strain from changing to glass and matte screen all the time. Does that make sense?
    wozwozphilsai46jdwwlym
  • Reply 9 of 25
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    adamc said:
    I believe none of those who commented bought the last iteration of Apple products. The funny thing is they can't leave the past because it is more comfortable.
    Same old, same old.

People will argue vehemently that they need backwards compatibility, then conveniently forget they even said anything when they get access to modern peripherals where they don't need it anymore.  Apple is designing for the future, not the past.  If you need the past, buy a past machine and don't rant all over the Internet just because you're not ready for the future.
    edited November 2016 Rayz2016Mikeymikeration alpscooter63ai46lamboaudi4
  • Reply 10 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    It's sad Apple have handed over to LG without LG actually having a half way decent looking monitor.
    wozwozjdwwlym
  • Reply 11 of 25
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    It is funny that we hear lots of complaints on this forum that Apple is way to focused on "form over function", and then in the next breath they are complaining about this monitor (vs. Cinema Displays of old) as it is "plastic" and "doesn't look as good".  Clearly hypocrisy detection / awareness is missing in much of the populace.
    ration alpscooter63
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    SiSa said:
    - The Apple Thunderbolt Display 27 had: three powered USB 2.0 ports, a Firewire 800 port, a Thunderbolt port, and an Ethernet port. - How can this display be a "suitable dock" with having just 3 USB ports? Furthermore: - ugly matte plastic design with thicker top bezel that does not fit to any premium Apple product - no edge-to-edge display glass (yes, I love it on my old cinema display and iMac) It's a huge let-down for all Apple users to get the suggestion to put such ugly display on my table, be it in office, or at home. Offering at least one (!) display option is not about making money for Apple, but about offering a consistent user experience. If I want to work with an external display (with my Macbook, or as a second display for my iMac) I want to look at the same glass-covered screen, with a similar design, and not get eye-strain from changing to glass and matte screen all the time. Does that make sense?
    You have totally redefined the expression 'first-world problem'. 

Soliration alai46pulseimageslamboaudi4
  • Reply 13 of 25
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    SiSa said:
    I have to agree that the plastic shell and the tortured angles on the corners, stand and back of this monitor are an offense to the eye and soul. 

The only rational explanation for why Apple would allow its customers to suffer this letdown is one based on supply. Apple invested five years ago or earlier in the IGZO film backplane LCD technology, but they did so with Sharp. Sharp did release a few sizes of displays that were IGZO-backed, maybe even supplied Apple with some iPad screens, but it was LG that seems to have run with the technology and in fact became the supplier for the 4 and 5K iMacs. 

I think LG has only so much IGZO production capacity, and that Apple is at their mercy as to price and quantity, so for the present, LG gets to make some of its investment back and gain some prestige by selling the only oxide-backed, Apple-certified monitors out there. And Apple has to keep quiet about this embarrassing situation.

Oh, and they may have used Nilay Patel as a patsy to cover up the bad news (http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/10/28/apple-suggests-that-it-has-permanently-exited-the-stand-alone-monitor-business) — which may turn out to be temporary, if Foxconn can get Sharp's production up and running. And yes, this is wishful thinking.
    edited November 2016 pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 25
    Looks better in this video than in still images. I'm getting one... or two.

Kept having to install a raising stand on my Apple monitors to make them adjustable. This one comes with that functionality built in. Looks smooth too.

New 15-inch Touchbar MBP arriving tomorrow.

Also getting a 65 inch LG OLED TV for our Living Room AV setup. So much better than Samsung.
    edited November 2016 ai46watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 15 of 25
    I honestly find it amazing that Apple is not continuing with their own Displays. This LG Screen is like when Apple released the first iTunes capable cellphone in partnership with Motorola. It simply sucks. There is no industrial design here whatsoever. No continuation of the Apple experience... it just looks like a generic screen. And to me that is really sad.
    MacPro
  • Reply 16 of 25
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    phils said:
    I honestly find it amazing that Apple is not continuing with their own Displays. This LG Screen is like when Apple released the first iTunes capable cellphone in partnership with Motorola. It simply sucks. There is no industrial design here whatsoever. No continuation of the Apple experience... it just looks like a generic screen. And to me that is really sad.
    Are you also of the opinion that the new MBP's are too much "form over function"...and too expensive?

Just curious.
    pscooter63Rayz2016
  • Reply 17 of 25
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    phils said:

The thunderbolt display lacked a height adjustable stand, so this one is an improvement in that regard. Apart from that it's about the way it displays content. Color gamut isn't that big of an issue. It's marketing gibberish. Important details are uniformity, white point, shadow detail, and the difference between expected colors and measured colors, regardless of gamut claims. No sane reviewer is going to trash a display based on the appearance of its casing.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 18 of 25
    Ok so the question is can a 5k iMac be connected to the new 5k lg external display?
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I think we need a petition... something that says.... "Apple come clean... either tell us we are being abandoned... or make the u-turn now before its too late!"
    nubuspulseimages
  • Reply 20 of 25
    phils said:

Judging by what people have said nobody bought them anyways. Yes, people here have, but the majority of people didn't. I don't see the value in spending $900 on a display that does the same thing a $400 display does. The $900 display may have been fine for serious professionals who can shell out money for 2 or 3 of these, but a general consumer isn't going to spend money on a Mac mini and then buy a $900 display, or spend $2500 on a MacBook Pro and then another $900 on an Apple display.

And, maybe Apple see's more people just using the nice display on they MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, etc instead of buy an expensive display as well. 

This isn't a revenue happy area for Apple so its not worth putting time and effort into something LG (who makes the panel for Apple) can just do for them with some of Apple's assistance. Why would Apple make a display that doesn't sell? This isn't anything new. Why did they stop selling G4 Cubes, Xserves, Xserve RAID Units, AirPorts, etc...because they didn't sell. These are products that were under both Steve and Tim's direction so it has nothing to do with Tim not knowing how to run Apple. 
    edited November 2016 pscooter63