How to make an iPhone speakerphone call using only Siri

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2016
One of the advantages of modern iPhones is the ability to go hands-free more often thanks to Siri -- but something people may not know is that it's possible to go straight into speakerphone mode when voice dialing.

After triggering Siri by holding down the home button or saying "Hey Siri," all you have to do (in theory) is add "using speaker" or "using speakerphone" to a call request -- for example, "Call Walgreens using speakerphone."

It should be noted, though, that unless you have the person in your iOS Contacts list, you can't just dial an individual using their name -- you have to speak their phone number instead. With businesses and other organizations, Siri may also prompt you to pick from several options if there are multiple matching locations, especially in the same city.

There can be other potential obstacles to going fully hands-free. "Hey Siri" requires iOS 9 later, and can only be used without plug-in power on the iPhone 6s and 7.

Also, "using speakerphone" can potentially be more reliable than "using speaker," and if Siri doesn't interpret you correctly you'll have to turn on the speakerphone manually.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member
    Siri acts like it's still in beta 5 years later.
    larryaentropysavon b7
  • Reply 2 of 11
    All u gotta do "hey Siri call john on speakerphone" that is all  
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    "Hey Siri" requires iOS 9 later, and can only be used without plug-in power on the iPhone 6s and 7.
    Works fine on my SE without plug-in power.
    edited November 2016 pulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 11
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    tyler82 said:
    Siri works great for making calls. You're in beta.
    redgeminipaxmhillx
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I can confirm that call NAME on speakerphone works even for me on iPhone 4s. Wonderful tip. Only problem that every name I want to use I have to explain to SIri how is pronounced since it is not supported here.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    I'm sure Apple has a patent for that invention.
    It also puts Apple right in the lead regarding usability for voice commands.

Well done Apple!
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 7 of 11
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    tyler82 said:
    Sad but true (at least in Dutch, my mother tongue)
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 8 of 11
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    blitz1 said:
    I'm sure Apple has a patent for that invention.
    It also puts Apple right in the lead regarding usability for voice commands.

Well done Apple!
    Which invention??? You cannot be serious to call such a minor and very obvious feature an invention, eligible for a patent application
  • Reply 9 of 11
    macmcapplemacmcapple Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    AppleInsider said: "Hey Siri" requires iOS 9 later, and can only be used without plug-in power on the iPhone 6s and 7. Mac_128 said: "Works fine on my SE without plug-in power." It's because the SE is an iPhone 6S in the body of a 5. It was released after the 6S so of course it will work. Anything a 6S can do a SE can do (aside from force touch) just for future reference.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    macmcapplemacmcapple Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    mac_128 said:
    "Hey Siri" requires iOS 9 later, and can only be used without plug-in power on the iPhone 6s and 7.
    Works fine on my SE without plug-in power.
    It's because the SE is an iPhone 6S in the body of a 5. It was released after the 6S so of course it will work. Anything a 6S can do a SE can do (aside from force touch) just for future reference.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    frantisek said:
    I can confirm that call NAME on speakerphone works even for me on iPhone 4s. Wonderful tip. Only problem that every name I want to use I have to explain to SIri how is pronounced since it is not supported here.
    Go to the contact and select edit. Scroll down to where you can choose "add related name". Then phonetically spell out the person's name. That way Siri can find it.