Rumor: 10.5" iPad Pro with 'A10X' CPU to ship in first quarter of 2017

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2016
A fourth screen size is coming to Apple's iPad lineup in early 2017, supply chain rumors continue to reiterate, with the latest report claiming it will run a faster version of the A10 chip found in the iPhone 7.

Production of the rumored 10.5-inch iPad will begin in December, according to DigiTimes, ahead of a first-quarter 2017 launch. The new form factor is expected to be slightly larger than the 9.7-inch display that has been on Apple's flagship iPad model since it first debuted in 2010.

While DigiTimes has an unreliable track record on Apple hardware rumors, this week's report is just the latest in a series of claims suggesting a new 10.5-inch iPad will arrive early next year. The new larger, model is expected to be a high-end "pro" version, while a low-cost 9.7-inch iPad will also be introduced, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities.

In addition, Apple is also expected to launch a third, 12.9-inch iPad Pro update for its 2017 iPad lineup. According to DigiTimes, both the 10.5- and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models will feature an "A10X" processor.

Alleged "A10X" benchmarks appeared online back in October, showing performance levels significantly higher than the A10 chip found in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. In years past, Apple has added "X" differentiators to iPad chips with more horsepower, intended to drive their larger displays and aided by beefier batteries.

Supply chain sources expect the new 10.5-inch iPad will see shipments of 2 million units in the first quarter of 2017. Total shipments for the year may reach as many as 5 million to 6 million units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Ipad Pro 10,5" might turn out in sweet spot for masses with perfect/preferred tablet size with functionalities.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    wood1208 said:
    Ipad Pro 10,5" might turn out in sweet spot for masses with perfect/preferred tablet size with functionalities.
    That's definitely what they're going for. If Apple gets the numbers they want they'll probably phase out overlapping models. It makes sense to feel out the market and it kind of seems to be a model for them in certain categories.  

Personally im going for the 12.9" model. I've said it before but I've been waiting for V2. The pending update rumor is good enough for me. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wood1208 said:
    That's definitely what they're going for. If Apple gets the numbers they want they'll probably phase out overlapping models. It makes sense to feel out the market and it kind of seems to be a model for them in certain categories.  

Personally im going for the 12.9" model. I've said it before but I've been waiting for V2. The pending update rumor is good enough for me. 
    Me too. My eyesight isn't getting any better. 
    slprescottdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 20
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I hope they're dropping some models as a result...there's too many iPads to choose from right now. 
    uraharaMetriacanthosauruswilliamlondondoozydozencali
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I hope they don't drop the Mini, it makes all ladies in my extended family tremendously happy.
    netmagecaliicoco3
  • Reply 6 of 20
    But I need 11,3" model. 
    Steve Jobs would have seen it already long time ago.
    If they won't produce 11,3" model, Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    wood1208 said:

"If Apple gets the numbers they want they'll probably phase out overlapping models"

Sure hope so. Something like this would be easier to understand for consumers:

iPad - 7.9" & 9.7"
    iPad Pro - 10.5" & 12.9"
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 20
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    The iPad needs better software, not more screen sizes.

E.g., I cannot fathom why the iPad has not got a native Weather and Calculator app. These are actual very useful apps. Should their absence be understood as a lack of commitment? There's an explanation out there, but I am not sure if this story is to believed: http://www.cultofmac.com/421893/why-the-ipad-has-never-shipped-with-a-calculator-app/

>:x
    edited November 2016 samakiilogic2.6
  • Reply 9 of 20
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Instead of changing the physical appearance of the iPad, Apple should offer us the ability to change the bezels in system preferences. You could change their size and colour. I'd like to call this the focus mode feature.

E.g. For me, I'd like to have a white border, while others would prefer an edge to edge display, expanding the screen of the iPad to 10.5 inch.

I can also imagine others with a gold iPad to want to have a black border. This would all be possible because the border is customisable. I'd imagine there would be four focus mode options in system preferences: no border, black, white and silver.

edited November 2016
  • Reply 10 of 20
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Now there's innovation for you. Create a new medium size fractionally bigger than the 9.7"
  • Reply 11 of 20
    wood1208 said:

"If Apple gets the numbers they want they'll probably phase out overlapping models"

iPad - 7.9" & 9.7"
    iPad Pro - 10.5" & 12.9"

Good change this will be the case.

The iPad mini has the same resolution as the original iPad but has 326 ppi compared to 264 ppi for the 9.7". The 12.9" iPad Pro has the same 264 ppi as the 9.7" iPad but with a higher resolution. If this resolution is used with a 326 ppi display it will be 10.47". So, both Pro's will have the same higher resolution.

Simple lineup:
    - 12.9" iPad Pro (2732 by 2048 resolution)
    - 10.5" iPad Pro mini (2732 by 2048 resolution)
    - 9.7" iPad (Air) (2048 by 1536 resolution)
    - 7.9" iPad (Air) mini (2048 by 1536 resolution)

edited November 2016 canukstormwilliamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Why not just 3 models, all "Pro" (work with Pencil)?
      -   7.9"  iPad Mini
      - 10.5"  iPad Standard
      - 12.9"  iPad Plus (matching iPhone branding)

cali
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Why not just 3 models, all "Pro" (work with Pencil)?
      -   7.9"  iPad Mini
      - 10.5"  iPad Standard
      - 12.9"  iPad Plus (matching iPhone branding)

One reason why not may be price. If Apple were not still offering the mini 2, my grandson would not now own an iPad because I wasn't prepared to pay the price of a "real" iPad for a kid.
    canukstormcali
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I've been enjoying my 12.9" since last year. I still could see it being bigger yet... 16-17" range? There's a point where it will get too big I guess... I haven't found it yet though. Rock the 12.9 in bed watching movies and is a delight for the eyes. 10.5 would be too small for me.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wood1208 said:

iPad - 7.9" & 9.7"
    iPad Pro - 10.5" & 12.9"

Good change this will be the case.

The iPad mini has the same resolution as the original iPad but has 326 ppi compared to 264 ppi for the 9.7". The 12.9" iPad Pro has the same 264 ppi as the 9.7" iPad but with a higher resolution. If this resolution is used with a 326 ppi display it will be 10.47". So, both Pro's will have the same higher resolution.

Simple lineup:
    - 12.9" iPad Pro (2732 by 2048 resolution)
    - 10.5" iPad Pro mini (2732 by 2048 resolution)
    - 9.7" iPad (Air) (2048 by 1536 resolution)
    - 7.9" iPad (Air) mini (2048 by 1536 resolution)

Good post for those above like mr o and dougd who didn't think of what the display manufacturers are already locked in to producing, pixel-density-wise.

What we will probably see is a new IGZO-backed 10.47" with the new wide color gamut and either a new thinness or an extention of battery life, or both. Should be a fantastic display.

I also think this is late to production, because Tim Cook had said earlier this year that iPad would return to revenue growth by the end of 2016. 
    And the "Hello Agsin" event was a bit truncated, as if something was missing. IGZO production devilment strikes again, maybe. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 16 of 20
    xixoxixo Posts: 450member
    mr o said:

E.g., I cannot fathom why the iPad has not got a native Weather and Calculator app. These are actual very useful apps. Should their absence be understood as a lack of commitment? There's an explanation out there, but I am not sure if this story is to believed: http://www.cultofmac.com/421893/why-the-ipad-has-never-shipped-with-a-calculator-app/

Yahoo Weather is a very nice weather app and is free; Dark Skies is (I believe) 99 cents and also very good.

calculator? what do you need? the built in one works great for me. 

I'd be soooo happy with an iPad form factor that runs MacOSX. You can put an Ax processor in it; I don't care, just give me that form factor and the ability to dock to keyboard, mouse, big 30" monitor, hardwired networking and external hard drive storage.

wish wish wish wish wish.... :-(
  • Reply 17 of 20
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    xixo said:
    mr o said:

Yahoo Weather is a very nice weather app and is free; Dark Skies is (I believe) 99 cents and also very good.

calculator? what do you need? the built in one works great for me. 

I'd be soooo happy with an iPad form factor that runs MacOSX. You can put an Ax processor in it; I don't care, just give me that form factor and the ability to dock to keyboard, mouse, big 30" monitor, hardwired networking and external hard drive storage.

wish wish wish wish wish.... :-(
    I'd rather have a dual Core i7 MBA that could run iOS in emulation and had a touch screen that could dock to keyboard mouse and dual 27" 5K.

Going the other way you have a Core i3 running MacOS which will beachball a lot even if you get everyone to recompile for Arm.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    mr o said:

I agree. The iPad needs a different UI than that of the iPhone as the screen is much larger and even the way you input on the device is different.  Most people look at the iPad as just a larger iPhone instead of the other way around.  IOS on the iPhone should be a stripped down version of IOS on the iPhone.  
  • Reply 19 of 20
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    samakii said:
    mr o said:

I agree. The iPad needs a different UI than that of the iPhone as the screen is much larger and even the way you input on the device is different.  Most people look at the iPad as just a larger iPhone instead of the other way around.  IOS on the iPhone should be a stripped down version of IOS on the iPhone.  
    Yes why is it that tvOS and watchOS get their own branding for unique builds in the OSX family but iPad and iPhone didn't. There is already a lot of iPad only features in the os it would have made sense to split and let each play to its strengths. Apple say they don't do fridge toasters but seems to be exactly how they treat iOS. 

A better padOS could  take the shackles off the iPad pros and really expand up into the space below the Mac and be a real post-pc. 
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Just purchased the 9.7" Pro 128GB Space Gray!  Now, should I just return it and wait for the A10X?
    icoco3