LG's UltraFine 5K Display gets unboxing treatment in new video

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25

arbar said:
    Ok so the question is can a 5k iMac be connected to the new 5k lg external display?
    If you can adapt it from USB-C to Thunderbolt I don't see why not. 
  • Reply 22 of 25
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,335member
    macxpress said:

I don't see the value in spending $900 on a display that does the same thing a $400 display does. 
    Agreed.  But what other 5K display sells for $400 and does what the discounted $974 LG Ultrafine Display does?

(And yes, if some of you are wondering, I do in fact own a G4 Cube.  I have always thought it to be a great machine for its time.)
    edited November 2016 macxpress
  • Reply 23 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    jdw said:
    macxpress said:

I don't see the value in spending $900 on a display that does the same thing a $400 display does. 
    Agreed.  But what other 5K display sells for $400 and does what the discounted $974 LG Ultrafine Display does?

(And yes, if some of you are wondering, I do in fact own a G4 Cube.  I have always thought it to be a great machine for its time.)

Well it doesn't do anything that display does, but the question is, does the general consumer really care? Do they want to spend an extra $974 on a display after spending $1500-2000 on a laptop, or $500 on a Mac mini? If Apple can't sell a $900 display, then I don't see the LG selling more at a higher price (after the discount is over). I think some people need to get over this Apple is selling to whatever is considered a Professional anymore. They're selling to everyone so they have to think differently. Why go after a smaller market of "Professionals" vs the everyday consumer? 

(And yes, I loved the G4 Cube...I always thought it was one of the coolest computers Apple ever made to this day). I have one in my closet. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    appex said:
    Matte display?

I just set up the 4K Ultrafine for my wife's MacBook. It is an absolutely beautiful display (glossy screen just like on the iMac or Cinema Display). The text/images are so crisp and clear with vivid colors. Sure I'd like an aluminum stand/bezel but (a) the stand is very well done, solid with a very satisfying feel, adjusting the height/tilt is effortless and (b) the black bezel is not that big an issue.

I've been using an Apple 27" Cinema Display with my MacMini for years. It was way expensive (IMHO) but so gorgeous that I've never regretted how much it cost. Assuming the 5K is like the 4K I'll have no hesitation in ordering one when it comes time to upgrade my MacMini. In fact, I would buy one today except that it doesn't look like you can hook one up to a 2012 MacMini. (Hope Apple does a decent upgrade for the MacMini, not like the last time.)

edited November 2016
  • Reply 25 of 25

The display panel itself is beautiful. The design of the monitor is lacking in my opinion. Anyone who has taken any Mac apart that has a screen of some sort would know that LG made most of the panels anyways. I think Apple could have revamped the Thunderbolt Display design with the updated 4K/5K display panels and USB-C only to keep it forward thinking. Pricing seems to be about right. Would I like to see different ports? Sure but I understand why they're going with only USB-C/Thunderbolt 3.  I guess we will see what happens but barring the aesthetics of the LG the display technology itself is amazing.