New bezel-less 10.9-inch iPad said to be same thickness as iPad Air, iPad Pro to grow 0.3mm

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2016
New reports circulating about an iPad refresh in 2016 point to a 0.3mm thicker 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and bezel-less 10.9-inch iPad with the same thickness as last generation's 9.7-inch model, eschewing Apple's normal drive for thinner products as they evolve.

According to Macotakara, the previously predicted 10.9-inch iPad is bezel-free on the sides, and retains the iPad Air's 7.5mm thickness. The top and bottom bezels remain, with the FaceTime camera still in the bezel. However, sources claim that the home button is absent from designs that they have seen.

The iPad Pro 12.9-inch model is said to grow 0.3mm in thickness to 7.2 millimeters, with the same retention of the bezel on the top and bottom of the case as on the 10.9-inch iPad, as well as the home button being removed on the larger model.

The reports of the mid-sized iPad Pro vary, with reports predicting either a 10.5-inch or 10.9-inch model debuting some time in the first half of the new year. Other advancements, like AMOLED displays, aren't expected until 2018.

Other rumors include a full True Tone display on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro refresh, and the possibility of an iPad mini Pro.

Editor's note: This article has been corrected to reflect a potential iPad thickness change of 0.3mm, not 3mm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    This is a case where a diagram would be worth a thousand words.  I have no idea what the implications of all these changes are.  Remove a bezel here, add 3mm there, 4 different iPad designations (normal, air, mini, pro)?  Time for an iPad line reboot, I think.
    goodbyeranchdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 16
    eschewing Apple's normal drive for thinner products as they evolve.

This is a total misnomer...anyone paying attention knows that Apple has released almost as many "thicker" iterations to products in recent years as they have "thinner".

Thinner is not always the goal. It is A goal, unless other priorities become MORE important.
    edited November 2016 Rayz2016mike1randominternetpersondoozydozenjony0
  • Reply 3 of 16
    danskinnerdanskinner Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    iPad Pro to grow 3mm
    New reports... point to a 3m thicker 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
    I thought a 3mm increase would be bad enough, but 3m would really start to affect usability. I'd never get it through the door for a start.

Either way, think you mean 0.3mm.

edited November 2016 mike1StrangeDaysslprescottfastasleepSoli1983doozydozenfirelockcornchipjony0
  • Reply 4 of 16
    "New reports circulating about an iPad refresh in 2016 point to a 3m thicker 12.9-inch iPad Pro ..."

The first sentence of the article contains a typo. It says 2016 instead of 2017. And instead of beginning with "New reports," it should say "Latest rumors."
    edited November 2016 haarmelodyof1974cornchip
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Sounds like a goofy rumor to me. No bezel would make it less functional. Holding such a device becomes problematic.
    randominternetpersondoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 16
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    New reports... point to a 3m thicker 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
    I think you mean 0.3mm, not 3mm.

I read 3m as in 3000mm. ROFL. btw, error still in article as of my post.

New reports circulating about an iPad refresh in 2016 point to a 3m thicker 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and bezel-less 10.9-inch iPad with the same thickness as last generation's 9.7-inch model, eschewing Apple's normal drive for thinner products as they evolve.

...points for using the word "eschewing"...
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 7 of 16

This is a total misnomer...anyone paying attention knows that Apple has released almost as many "thicker" iterations to products in recent years as they have "thinner".

Thinner is not always the goal. It is A goal, unless other priorities become MORE important.
    Almost as many? You may be right, but I can't think of enough examples to support this claim. I do believe that Apple is strongly committed to shrinking its products. In fact, that was one reason given for eliminating the microphone jack on iPhone 7.

Apple does not have any good alternative to shrinking iPhone and iPad as a matter of policy. Ten or 20 years from now, people will own tiny, tiny mobile computers -- perhaps neural implants. There is no way for Apple to arrive at that destination without making annual progress toward it. A company that refuses to participate in that evolution will find itself sitting on the sidelines, next to Blackberry.
    edited November 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    tshapitshapi Posts: 369member
    Sounds to me, like the iPad is finally getting 3D Touch. 
    williamlondonRayz2016mike1doozydozencornchip
  • Reply 9 of 16
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    AI, you're still wrong after the revision: 3mm grow? It's 0.3mm!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Just thinking out loud here, but might there be some benefit to adding a Touch Bar to the bottom (side if you typically hold it in landscape mode)? Not sure if there are any apps or applications where this might be useful.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Until there’s a game changing revolution in battery technology I think there should be a moratorium on thinness. 
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 12 of 16

Almost as many? You may be right, but I can't think of enough examples to support this claim. I do believe that Apple is strongly committed to shrinking its products. In fact, that was one reason given for eliminating the microphone jack on iPhone 7.

Apple does not have any good alternative to shrinking iPhone and iPad as a matter of policy. Ten or 20 years from now, people will own tiny, tiny mobile computers -- perhaps neural implants. There is no way for Apple to arrive at that destination without making annual progress toward it. A company that refuses to participate in that evolution will find itself sitting on the sidelines, next to Blackberry.
    Quite a few.

iPhone 6s was thicker than iPhone 6, and iPhone 7 is thicker still from iPhone 6s. That line has only gotten thicker through 3 iterations.

iPad mini 4 is thicker than the 2,3.

iPad Pro 9.7" is thicker than iPad Air 2 9.7".

Those 3 core designs have only gotten thicker with each iteration. It seems when Apple does a new "core" design, it is thinner than the previous core design, but iterative updates to that core design are steadily thicker to accommodate new/additional technology. Makes a lot of sense.
    macxpressdoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 16

Quite a few.

iPhone 6s was thicker than iPhone 6, and iPhone 7 is thicker still from iPhone 6s. That line has only gotten thicker through 3 iterations.

iPad mini 4 is thicker than the 2,3.

iPad Pro 9.7" is thicker than iPad Air 2 9.7".

Those 3 core designs have only gotten thicker with each iteration. It seems when Apple does a new "core" design, it is thinner than the previous core design, but iterative updates to that core design are steadily thicker to accommodate new/additional technology. Makes a lot of sense.
    And let's not forget that Apple Watch gen 2 is thicker....   This notion that Apple only makes things thinner is just plain wrong.
    macxpressRayz2016doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 16
    fallenjt said:
    AI, you're still wrong after the revision: 3mm grow? It's 0.3mm!!!!
    Shhh! (It's funnier this way)  ;)
  • Reply 15 of 16

lkrupp said:
    Until there’s a game changing revolution in battery technology I think there should be a moratorium on thinness. 
    All else being equal. But all else is not equal. Reduced power consumption from components have made the pursuit of lighter weight, thinner designs possible. 
    edited November 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 16

Great point, but I don't think what AI said was out of line.

I have a shirt I got from the Apple company store in Cupertino a little while back that says "The thinnest, most lightweight shirt ever." I love that thing.