LG UltraFine 5K Display now for sale through Apple, first orders ship in January [u]

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited November 2016
One month after it debuted onstage at Apple's MacBook Pro event, LG's UltraFine 5K Display went up for sale on Monday exclusively through Apple's online storefront for $974.

As of this writing, orders placed through Apple's website will ship within 6 to 8 weeks, meaning the first units are unlikely to arrive in 2016. Apple previously said the LG UltraFine 5K Display would be available to purchase in December.

Measuring 27 inches on the diagonal, the 5K UltraFine Display was developed in partnership with Apple and supports resolutions up to 5,120-by-2,880 with DCI-P3 color, matching the latest MacBook Pro hardware unveiled in October. With built-in speakers, three USB 3.1 ports and 85 watts of charging power, the display acts as a hub for Apple's I/O constrained notebooks and serves as a suitable replacement for the erstwhile Thunderbolt Display.

While the display does not ship until January, customers thinking about buying a unit should do so before the end of the year. Earlier this month, Apple slashed 25 percent off retail pricing for both the 5K model and its smaller 21.5-inch 4K sibling. Available until Dec. 30, the limited time offer drops the 5K model down to $974 from $1,299.95, while the 4K version moves to $524 from $699.95.

LG's UltraFine 4K Display went up for sale alongside Apple's new MacBook Pro notebooks in October. Early preorder customers began receiving shipments some two weeks ago.

Update: Apple is no longer listing the LG 5K Display as available to purchase, with the product page now showing estimated availability in December. The reason for the change in status is unclear, though customers were able to place orders during a short window earlier today.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    Just went to the Apple website and the buy button is disabled again.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Joint venture between Apple And LG ...yet there is no Apple logo or Any Hint of Apple design theme there... Big mistake by Apple to approach monitors in such a secondary way.. reducing Apple logo and Design theme visibility at the high end.
    jingo
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Joint venture between Apple And LG ...yet there is no Apple logo or Any Hint of Apple design theme there... Big mistake by Apple to approach monitors in such a secondary way.. reducing Apple logo and Design theme visibility at the high end.
    #yawn
    macxpress
  • Reply 4 of 38
    Rayz2016 said:
    #yawn
    yawn about what.... at least explain your position.. if you think this a bogus issue.
    roakejingoavon b7
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Firstly, why would there be an Apple logo? It's an LG display. Secondly, Apple more than likely contributed on the technical side rather than the aesthetic design of the display.
    ration aljony0
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Firstly, why would there be an Apple logo? It's an LG display. Secondly, Apple more than likely contributed on the technical side rather than the aesthetic design of the display.
    Did you watch Apples last product presentation...? This is supposed to be a joint venture between Apple and LG replacing Cinema Display. Hence : Big mistake by Apple to approach monitors in such a secondary way.. reducing Apple logo and Design theme visibility at the high end.
    edited November 2016 jingoavon b7
  • Reply 7 of 38
    Did you watch Apples last product presentation...? This is supposed to be a joint venture between Apple and LG replacing Cinema Display. Hence : Big mistake by Apple to approach monitors in such a secondary way.. reducing Apple logo and Design theme visibility at the high end.
    It's not a "joint venture" and it's not meant to be a replacement in Apple's lineup for the Thunderbolt display. What Phil Schiller actually said was that Apple had worked with LG on the 5K display, likely on the technical side to make sure there was a decent third-party option that was up to scratch for use with the new MacBook Pro. The display includes speakers, camera, support for wide colour, etc. all things that Apple and users would want from a display. This is LG's display and one that Apple will heavily promote, as they have done, to be a companion to the MacBook Pro. I'm sure as other displays come along they will also appear as third-party options. Clearly Apple has their own reasons for not designing and badging their own display, whether it's financial or just a lack of interest or manpower to devote to the project for the long term. Either way, the display side of the business was pretty small for them hence why they've left it to a third-party this time round, but offered assistance to make sure it's on par technically.
    ration aljony0
  • Reply 8 of 38
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    I still await a full review on this monitor.  And honestly, I would have already clicked the BUY button on this screen had the aesthetics been more akin to what Apple creates.  But I still think matte bezels mixed with a glossy screen looks, well, like a cheap Windows display.  But spec-wise, the 5K model would seem to best the 4K edition in terms of size, ports, camera and mic.  However, we still aren't told if the camera is a full 1080p.  I hope we can get a review before the end of this year because the discount expires at the end of the year, and I doubt I would buy it at the retail price.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    It's not a "joint venture" and it's not meant to be a replacement in Apple's lineup for the Thunderbolt display. What Phil Schiller actually said was that Apple had worked with LG on the 5K display, likely on the technical side to make sure there was a decent third-party option that was up to scratch for use with the new MacBook Pro. The display includes speakers, camera, support for wide colour, etc. all things that Apple and users would want from a display. This is LG's display and one that Apple will heavily promote, as they have done, to be a companion to the MacBook Pro. I'm sure as other displays come along they will also appear as third-party options. Clearly Apple has their own reasons for not designing and badging their own display, whether it's financial or just a lack of interest or manpower to devote to the project for the long term. Either way, the display side of the business was pretty small for them hence why they've left it to a third-party this time round, but offered assistance to make sure it's on par technically.
    Apple built this thing with LG.... if not joint venture.. then lets call it a joint project. Never the less ...... its not all dollors and cents... Lack of visibility of Apple logo and design theme at Pro/high end level desktop computing is a big oversight/ problem . IMO....... re."Apple had their own reasons" ......not everytging apple does is gospel ... they do make mistakes... many believe this is one too... plus their whole treatment of the true pro market.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Update: this is not available when I tried it. Button is disabled and page says "not available".
  • Reply 11 of 38
    I was unable to order online (mac or iOS) so hooked up with apple store chat.  the chat-guy said he was waiting to buy two 5Ks also, but was't aware of them having gone on sale.  He checked, came back and said yeah, I see some were sold. they're not available for sale now.  So maybe it was a mistake.  Maybe a few people got lucky.  Still, won't be long before we can order.

As for the criticism of the black bezel, my ordered MBP w/TB will have a black bezel.  I think the two will go together better than an aluminum display would.  And besides, that's mere cosmetics.  The 5K has more important assets.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Update: this is not available when I tried it. Button is disabled and page says "not available".
    yup
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 13 of 38
    jvmbjvmb Posts: 59member
    There are already other monitors with USB-C input on the market, and there will undoubtedly be many more coming in the next years. Other than the fact that Apple showcased this, I don't see why this monitor is better than other USB-C monitors.

I hope that someone will make a USB-C monitor that better matches Apple styling and hopefully also has at least 2 USB-C inputs and a built-in KVM switch. Given that HP has copied the Macbook style in some of their laptops, they may create a better Apple monitor.
    Remarksman
  • Reply 14 of 38
    Funny, the display was available for purchase through the Apple Store app, while it was not available via Apple.com.  The info on the website had said Available December for quite a while so I hadn't been expecting to be able to order it yet anyway.  Will continue waiting.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Do "Pros" really care whether their computer display is encased in aluminum or not?  :/
  • Reply 16 of 38
    Rayz2016 said:
    #yawn
    yawn about what.... at least explain your position.. if you think this a bogus issue.

Yes, I think it's a bogus issue. It is not an Apple monitor; it's a monitor built by LG with input from Apple to make sure that it works properly with Apple kit, and that is all. At the end of the day, Apple is carrying none of the development costs associated with developing it, and LG will pick up the tab if they fail to sell a single one. LG will be looking to sell this beyond the Mac market and so has come up with a fairly generic look that will suit a much wider range of machines used by professionals. The plain black bezel is preferred by professionals because it is less distracting (and by professionals I mean real professionals, not the posers and shills who usually infest Mac forums). True professionals will also prefer the fact that you can adjust the height, tilt and swivel on this monitor. The Thunderbolt display only allowed you to tilt it, which meant you had to stand it on something. How does that gel with your delicate sense of the aesthetic? If Apple insisted on making the outside match their external cases of the machines then I'm pretty sure that LG would have refused, because at the end of day, machines with dark exteriors outsell Apple machines even if they don't make anywhere as much money.

Also bear in mind that Apple kit now comes in slate grey, silver and gold.  Should LG make three different bezel colours (in aluminium) to match them all?

And apologies for the #yawn

edited November 2016
  • Reply 17 of 38

rtdunham said:
    I was unable to order online (mac or iOS) so hooked up with apple store chat.  the chat-guy said he was waiting to buy two 5Ks also, but was't aware of them having gone on sale.  He checked, came back and said yeah, I see some were sold. they're not available for sale now.  So maybe it was a mistake.  Maybe a few people got lucky.  Still, won't be long before we can order.

As for the criticism of the black bezel, my ordered MBP w/TB will have a black bezel.  I think the two will go together better than an aluminum display would.  And besides, that's mere cosmetics.  The 5K has more important assets.
    Apparently it's not. All of a sudden, after years of complaining that Apple cares more about form than function, the black bezel is a problem.

Unbelievable.
    pbrutto
  • Reply 18 of 38
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Matte display?
  • Reply 19 of 38

Apple built this thing with LG.... if not joint venture.. then lets call it a joint project. Never the less ...... its not all dollors and cents... Lack of visibility of Apple logo and design theme at Pro/high end level desktop computing is a big oversight/ problem . IMO....... re."Apple had their own reasons" ......not everytging apple does is gospel ... they do make mistakes... many believe this is one too... plus their whole treatment of the true pro market.

Schiller mentioned the monitor on stage and he also mentioned the Pegasus RAID box a couple of seconds later.  They also mentioned Photoshop and DJay Pro. Do you think Photoshop should display a big Apple logo when it starts up. I would imagine that Apple had some input when it came to implementing the touch bar functionality, so why not?

How about this: if LG makes the screens for the iMac, then maybe LG should get a sticker on each iMac sold; a nice big silver one, like the ones plastered all over Windows laptops from every manufacturer who contributed a screw.

It's really simple. Monitors are a commodity. Since it's unlikely that many people actually bought a Mac monitor then they're probably not much help for brand recognition. So producing one for a handful of people who suddenly find the look of a plain black monitor a problem is probably not a wise use of resources.
    edited November 2016 hmm
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Do "Pros" really care whether their computer display is encased in aluminum or not?  :/
    Only the ones who are so starved for work they have time to endlessly complain about it on Mac forums.
    pbrutto