All-new OLED 'iPhone 8,' glass-backed 4.7" model expected to drive Apple sales to 'unprecedented' h

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2016
iPhone sales in the second half of 2017 could reach a massive 150 million units, as Apple suppliers are gearing up for a massive upgrade cycle set to outperform the iPhone 6 series, based on pent-up demand for new designs and new technology, like wireless charging.

Concept rendering of next-gen iPhone with edge-to-edge display.

Upstream iPhone suppliers are preparing to ramp up production to between 120 million and 150 million units in the second half of Apple's fiscal year 2017, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities revealed on Tuesday in a note to investors, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider.

If those numbers hold, that could blow past the previous peak of between 110 million to 120 million that suppliers prepared for at the launch of the iPhone 6, which remains Apple's best-selling handset ever.

In Kuo's view, a combination of factors suggest Apple's 2017 upgrades will lead to "unprecedented replacement demand," led by a new high-end OLED model that is expected to feature an all-new design and "notably superior specifications" from a pair of new models with LCD screens.

Kuo also has high hopes for the new 4.7-inch model with LCD, however, predicting that the addition of a glass back and wireless charging will make it the company's new mid-range handset, appealing to a wide swath of consumers. But the jumbo-sized 5.5-inch iPhone Plus series is predicted to be cannibalized by the new flagship OLED model, which is said to feature a screen size measuring somewhere around 5.1 or 5.2 inches diagonally.

"iPhone 8" concept by Veniamin Geskin.

Earlier this month, Kuo indicated that both the 5.5-inch Plus and slightly smaller OLED "iPhone 8" will feature dual-camera systems. But it is not expected that the 2017 4.7-inch "iPhone 7s" will gain a second camera, as was introduced on the iPhone 7 Plus.

The flagship OLED iPhone is believed to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Apple's revolutionary handset. Reports have suggested the design shakeup will enable Apple to embed key features -- including the FaceTime camera, earpiece and Touch ID fingerprint sensor --?beneath the display, boasting a truly seamless edge-to-edge design.

Kuo has an extremely strong track record in predicting Apple's future product plans. He accurately weighed in on the 3 gigabytes of RAM in the iPhone 7 Plus A10 processor in November of 2015, followed up with details on Apple's new dual-camera system for the iPhone 7 Plus in January of 2016, and also nailed the details of the second-generation Apple Watch in April. He was also the first to reveal that Apple's new MacBook Pro models would feature an OLED Touch Bar and Touch ID and would launch in the fourth quarter of this year, and he also correctly forecast that a new entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro would replace the outgoing MacBook Air.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    Don't believe it, this is merely setting up for next year's pump and dump. 
    SpamSandwichmonstrositydysamoriaduervo
  • Reply 2 of 53
    Can anyone explain why a meager design change suddenly drives unprecedented sales?

Or this is just nonsense to setup a huge AAPL-is-doomed fiasco when iPhone 7s/8 sales are marginally better than the year before, just like every iPhone y-o-y.
    SpamSandwichthewhitefalconrandominternetpersonnetmagedysamoriaduervowatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 53
    I don't believe anything this clown writes almost a year out from a product release. His entire shtick is reliant on the supply chain sources he has in China and Apple uses just in time manufacturing planning.
    thewhitefalcon
  • Reply 4 of 53
    Can anyone explain why a meager design change suddenly drives unprecedented sales?

Or this is just nonsense to setup a huge AAPL-is-doomed fiasco when iPhone 7s/8 sales are marginally better than the year before, just like every iPhone y-o-y.
    Meager?  If the reports play out, including true wireless charging (not inductive pad based) and partnerships with places like Starbucks to offer in-store wireless charging, it's going to be a game changer.  Think about not having to ever plug your iPhone in - it's going to be both a blessing and curse, but it's going to force a shift in the market and Apple will be the one to make it happen.  Add to that a new use for OLED edge screen (as changeable buttons), better cameras, new case material, further water-proofing upgrade.  It could be a huge deal for Apple, if they can make it happen.

Then from here, they'll work on wireless charging for iPads and MacBooks, which will keep sales moving forward for at least the next 3-5 years, and we'll likely see some other advancement happen in this time.
    patchythepiratecali
  • Reply 5 of 53
    Don't believe it, this is merely setting up for next year's pump and dump. 
    If you really believe that, why don't you buy now, wait for the 'pump', then 'dump'? You could make a lot of money, no?
    netmagebaconstangcali
  • Reply 6 of 53
    New industrial desging + wireless (inductive?) charge could indeed push demand for 2017 iPhone.
    An OLED screen is something 'regular' non-tech people would care much less than the physical appearance of the phone (unless it's curved like in the Galaxy Edge series).
    If this is true, Apple would then have 4 sizes of phones, although the 5.5" and this possible new 5.2" model would be too similar in size, even though it's rumored to have a reduced bezels and possibly no home button at all.
    Speaking of which: it will be interesting to see how Apple manage to keep battery life while reducing the chin and forehead of the phone and even adding up new hardware features (maybe?) in this new high-end mythical model.
    cali
  • Reply 7 of 53
    With just as much confidence and having done just as much research, I can say that the Democratic candidate for president in 2020 will drive unprecedented voter turnout and campaign donations.  (In other words, an analyst predicting the market reception to an unreleased and undesigned and unannounced product that may or may not live up to expectations is complete and utter BS.)
    dasanman69cali
  • Reply 8 of 53
    I wish this guy would accurately predict something about new iMacs or a Mac Pro. 
    SolidysamoriaSpamSandwichwatto_cobrawozwoz
  • Reply 9 of 53
    Wireless charging will drive sales? No. I don't know a single person with a phone that supports wireless charging who actually went out and bought a wireless charge pad. Let alone several of them for all the places you charge (for me it's work, car, bedroom and home office/den).
    macpluspluspscooter63dysamoriabaconstangduervowatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 53
    The design change matters some, but the year (2017) and continuing growth in iPhone user base that matters more. 2017 follows the huge iP6 year of 2015 by 2 years AND there are at least350m iPhones that are 2 years old or older, some of which will be upgraded. Additionally, there's a continued net churn from Android to iPhone of 15m to 25m annually.
    badmonknetmagecaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    chazbcn said:
    New industrial desging + wireless (inductive?) charge could indeed push demand for 2017 iPhone.
    An OLED screen is something 'regular' non-tech people would care much less than the physical appearance of the phone (unless it's curved like in the Galaxy Edge series).
    If this is true, Apple would then have 4 sizes of phones, although the 5.5" and this possible new 5.2" model would be too similar in size, even though it's rumored to have a reduced bezels and possibly no home button at all.
    Speaking of which: it will be interesting to see how Apple manage to keep battery life while reducing the chin and forehead of the phone and even adding up new hardware features (maybe?) in this new high-end mythical model.
    They'll do what they always do; make it slightly thicker. 
    edited November 2016 baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 53

Wireless charging will drive sales? No. I don't know a single person with a phone that supports wireless charging who actually went out and bought a wireless charge pad. Let alone several of them for all the places you charge (for me it's work, car, bedroom and home office/den).
    Well, the rumour is that you won't need a wireless charge pad. You stick the charger in a wall socket and it'll charge your phone from several feet away. 

Fantastic idea, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

netmagecaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 53
    sog35 said:
    red oak said:
    "We have suffering with the same crappy iPhone design for 3 years" 

Clown 
    stop being an Applefanboy. The current design of the iPhone7 is old and dated.  Massive chin and forehead is ugly as hell.

And the fact that a silver/gold iPhone7 looks exactly like a 3 year old phone is depressing. Note: I own a 6+
    The "3 year old phone" is iPhone 5S. If you cant spot a difference, you are blind, troll or plain stupid. Even when comparing it to iPhone 6/6S, there are major differences. But you have already proved that you are clueless, when it comes to design.

Stop posting about it! You just embarrass yourself.
    netmagebaconstangduervostevehwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 53
    Eh, I had a phone with contact charging (which is what people think of as 'wireless charging') and liked the feature. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 15 of 53
    Eh, I had a phone with contact charging (which is what people think of as 'wireless charging') and liked the feature. 

To me "wireless charging" (e.g,, how we charge our Apple Watches) is a little nicer than fiddling with the lightning connector.  Just like using a MagSafe power adaptor is a little nicer than fiddling with a USB-C connector. 
  • Reply 16 of 53
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Can you elaborate on what would constitute a significant design change, in your opinion?

In my book the 6 (and specially the 6s) represents a major design change and a huge improvement over the 5 (and 5s). Further back the same can be said of the step from the 3 to the 4, and from the 4 to the 5. In terms of visual design as well as technical design. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Rayz2016 said:

Well, the rumour is that you won't need a wireless charge pad. You stick the charger in a wall socket and it'll charge your phone from several feet away. 

People can't even keep up with wired charging, how do we expect that they'll keep up with wireless charging? And yet if Apple had such a solution they would first implement on the Apple Watch 2. The best we can have is magnetic (inductive) charging like Apple Watch, and that second cabled option would be just a gimmick à la Samsung given the existence of an already powerful charging socket. In order to make remote charging work from several feet away the beam must be directed, you cannot collect charge from an ambient radiation, and such a directed microwave beam may pose severe risks. So, urban legend...
    edited November 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 18 of 53
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:

A near zero bezel iPhone8 would drive massive sales. MASSIVE.

There is massive pent up demand for an iPhone with a new design. We have suffering with the same crappy iPhone design for 3 years.

But also a near zero bezel iPhone will make large iPhones much more pocketable and attractive looking. With a zero bezel a 5.5 inch iPHone will be as pocketable as a standard iPhone7. 
    Not really. New form factor drives sales, not the zero bezel bullshit. It doesn't matter how iPhone will look as long as it's completely different from current form. 
    edited November 2016 randominternetpersonduervo
  • Reply 19 of 53
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

thats crazy. if thats true wow.

Well in futile effort to stop you screaming about your portfolio and Tim Cook's "gay social activities" next year when this doesn't happen, let me remind you that it is UNCONFIRMED SPECULATION. 
    baconstangrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Rayz2016 said:

People can't even keep up with wired charging, how do we expect that they'll keep up with wireless charging? And yet if Apple had such a solution they would first implement on the Apple Watch 2. The best we can have is magnetic (inductive) charging like Apple Watch, and that second cabled option would be just a gimmick à la Samsung given the existence of an already powerful charging socket. In order to make remote charging work from several feet away the beam must be directed, you cannot collect charge from an ambient radiation, and such a directed microwave beam may pose severe risks. So, urban legend...

I'm sure they're working on it, but I reckon they're at least five years away from a viable solution. 
    watto_cobra