All-new OLED 'iPhone 8,' glass-backed 4.7" model expected to drive Apple sales to 'unprecedented' h

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Rayz2016 said:

I'm sure they're working on it, but I reckon they're at least five years away from a viable solution. 
    I'm skeptical. A wireless charger that is charing a device from a few feet away is not efficient, not fast, not an environmentally best practice both from the perspective of RF pollution and wasted energy, plus I don't see it as that much of convenience because the charger itself would need to be much larger than the current model, making it bulkier to carry around.
    baconstangpatchythepirate
  • Reply 22 of 53
    I don't think Apple conceived the 13" Macbook Pro with function keys as a replacement for Macbook Air. Their price difference is huge, 1500 vs 1000. So, MCK has predicted nothing about that. The candidate replacement for the Macbook Air is the Retina Macbook, when it is shifted to the $1000 price slot of Macbook Air.
    edited November 2016 snype719
  • Reply 23 of 53
    Can anyone explain why a meager design change suddenly drives unprecedented sales?

Or this is just nonsense to setup a huge AAPL-is-doomed fiasco when iPhone 7s/8 sales are marginally better than the year before, just like every iPhone y-o-y.
    It the way of Apple promotion machine that drives the sales!  Phil will hype it like it never existed before, the it new, new, new!  Apple marketing always get the job done!  Samsung and LG has some of these features going back al least four years but it new for the iPhone so it new for iPhone fans!  Apple is so good at selling that they don't need much to have unbelievable  sales.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    red oak said:
    "We have suffering with the same crappy iPhone design for 3 years" 

Clown 
    stop being an Applefanboy. The current design of the iPhone7 is old and dated.  Massive chin and forehead is ugly as hell.

And the fact that a silver/gold iPhone7 looks exactly like a 3 year old phone is depressing. Note: I own a 6+
    The "3 year old phone" is iPhone 5S. If you cant spot a difference, you are blind, troll or plain stupid. Even when comparing it to iPhone 6/6S, there are major differences. But you have already proved that you are clueless, when it comes to design.

Stop posting about it! You just embarrass yourself.
    The 3 year old phone is the iPhone6

2014 - iPhone6
    2015 - iPhone6s
    2016 - iPhone7

We will be in 2017 in about a month
    Sog needs to take some remedial math courses.  iPhone 6 was released in the fall of 2014.  It is now the fall of 2016, two years later, hence the iPhone 6 is two years old.
    baconstangfirelockduervofastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 53
    A bezelless iPhone can't be. 

For the simple fact that you cannot hold it with both hands and play games in landscape orientation, your palms would cover leftmost and rightmost parts of the display.

And an iPhone unsuited to play games would not sell.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 26 of 53
    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    red oak said:

Clown 
    stop being an Applefanboy. The current design of the iPhone7 is old and dated.  Massive chin and forehead is ugly as hell.

And the fact that a silver/gold iPhone7 looks exactly like a 3 year old phone is depressing. Note: I own a 6+
    The "3 year old phone" is iPhone 5S. If you cant spot a difference, you are blind, troll or plain stupid. Even when comparing it to iPhone 6/6S, there are major differences. But you have already proved that you are clueless, when it comes to design.

2014 - iPhone6
    2015 - iPhone6s
    2016 - iPhone7

Are you drunk?

iPhone 5S was released on 20. 9. 2013. Thats 3 years and 2 months ago.

iPhone 6 was released 19. 9. 2014. Thats 2 years and 2 months ago.

Go back to elementary school or buy yourself a calendar. 

As I said already, stop posting! You just embarrass yourself.
    baconstangduervostevehfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 53
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    For those of you who don't pay attention and are providing inaccurate time likes for the iPhone release. iPhone 6 came out in 2014. Not 2015.  iPhone 6s came out in 2015 and iPhone 7 came out in 2016. The iPhone 5s came out in 2013.  It's important to check your facts before posting in a public forum. Especially a fact as basic as that. 

It may be 2 physical years. But if you count. iPhone 6, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 7, that's three models. Each representing a year. 
    edited November 2016 ai46snype719
  • Reply 28 of 53
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    pk22901 said:
    Can anyone explain why a meager design change suddenly drives unprecedented sales?
    The design change matters some, but the year (2017) and continuing growth in iPhone user base that matters more. 2017 follows the huge iP6 year of 2015 by 2 years AND there are at least350m iPhones that are 2 years old or older, some of which will be upgraded. Additionally, there's a continued net churn from Android to iPhone of 15m to 25m annually.
    The difference is that the phone companies used to subsidize the phone and now, most don't.  The masses might have been willing to buy a new phone every two years when the features and performance were changing rapidly and they could upgrade for $200 with a new contract, but now that most phones cost at least $600 (and even though you can generally pay it out), I see consumers upgrading far less often.   What do most people do with their phones - they Tweet, text, respond to email, listen to music and play crappy games.   All of today's phones do that just fine.   

Having said that, the combination of wireless charging, OLED screens and larger screen size in the same physical package would be very appealing to many people, although probably make the Plus moot.   But I don't understand all the fuss this article makes about LCD screens.   LCD is the bottom rung of display technology.    I'm also not sure that people are going to be thrilled with a glass back, especially if it's prone to scratching or cracking if dropped.  

And are you sure about that net churn rate?   Subjectively and anecdotally, I see the opposite.  
  • Reply 29 of 53

sog35 said:
    A significant design change means when you see the iPhone8 you will know right away its an iPhone8 not a 6 or 7.

Right now its really hard to tell the difference between a silver/gold 6, 6s, and 7. And if you have a case its impossible.

People are vain. People love having the newest model and knowing that other people know they have the newest model. It may seem silly but its true.
    The front of the iPhone hasnt changed basicaly since the first one! Except for the bigger sizes of course!

The back, well, thats another story and again, if you cant spot the difference on the back between iPhone 4, 5, 6 and 7, buy new glasses or stop drinking.

And of course it is impossible to know difference, when you have case on it!! Are you serious? Do you even think about the things you write down or you just go full retard?

Btw, there is no point in changing design dramatically, when you got it right the first time. Look at Porsche. Changing design just for the sake of it is bad design!
    As I said, again you prove that you are clueless when it comes to design, stop posting about it! Just stop! You just embarrass yourself.
    baconstangStrangeDaysduervoroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 53
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    red oak said:

Clown 

2014 - iPhone6
    2015 - iPhone6s
    2016 - iPhone7

Yes, but that doesn't make the iPhone 6 three years old.   It came out around September of 2014.   I bought mine in February of 2015 after the socket on my iPhone4 or 5 died.  We have nine months until it's three years old.   And even then, so what?  What's the point of making arbitrary design changes? Most people keep their phones in a case anyway.   When I see people without a case, I consistently think, "oh, that looks nicer than my phone" and then I realize that it is the same phone as mine, but I never really get to see it.  
    baconstangduervo
  • Reply 31 of 53
    I don't think Apple conceived the 13" Macbook Pro with function keys as a replacement for Macbook Air. Their price difference is huge, 1500 vs 1000. So, MCK has predicted nothing about that. The candidate replacement for the Macbook Air is the Retina Macbook, when it is shifted to the $1000 price slot of Macbook Air.
    Watch Apple's keynote. They specifically pitched the new entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro to legacy MacBook Air users, talking about the smaller footprint and Retina display.
    baconstangcanukstormduervo
  • Reply 32 of 53
    zoetmb said:
    pk22901 said:
    The design change matters some, but the year (2017) and continuing growth in iPhone user base that matters more. 2017 follows the huge iP6 year of 2015 by 2 years AND there are at least350m iPhones that are 2 years old or older, some of which will be upgraded. Additionally, there's a continued net churn from Android to iPhone of 15m to 25m annually.
    The difference is that the phone companies used to subsidize the phone and now, most don't.  The masses might have been willing to buy a new phone every two years when the features and performance were changing rapidly and they could upgrade for $200 with a new contract, but now that most phones cost at least $600 (and even though you can generally pay it out), I see consumers upgrading far less often.   What do most people do with their phones - they Tweet, text, respond to email, listen to music and play crappy games.   All of today's phones do that just fine.   

Having said that, the combination of wireless charging, OLED screens and larger screen size in the same physical package would be very appealing to many people, although probably make the Plus moot.   But I don't understand all the fuss this article makes about LCD screens.   LCD is the bottom rung of display technology.    I'm also not sure that people are going to be thrilled with a glass back, especially if it's prone to scratching or cracking if dropped.  

And are you sure about that net churn rate?   Subjectively and anecdotally, I see the opposite.  
    LCD is the highest level of display technology, OLED is the cheaper alternative. OEMs choose OLED because it is cheap, not because of it is high end. Apple chose OLED because of thinness in the Apple watch. It is thin because it doesn't require a separate backlighting layer, that makes it also cheap.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Rayz2016 said:

Wireless charging will drive sales? No. I don't know a single person with a phone that supports wireless charging who actually went out and bought a wireless charge pad. Let alone several of them for all the places you charge (for me it's work, car, bedroom and home office/den).
    Well, the rumour is that you won't need a wireless charge pad. You stick the charger in a wall socket and it'll charge your phone from several feet away. 

Fantastic idea, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

I can't wait for all the EMI it will produce...

As for the rest of this prediction of vast sales nonsense:

Whatever. 
    baconstangrandominternetpersonduervo
  • Reply 34 of 53
    sog35 said:.
    I consider the iPhone7 1 year old phone, or the current model.

The 6s is a 2 year old model.
    The 6 is a 3 year old model.

Either way we are stuck with the same design for THREE YEARS.

And if you buy an iPhone7 this year and hold it for 2 years (the average) then in the second year you will be using a phone with a 5 year old design!!! YUK!  That's like using an 3GS when the iPhone6 came out. 
    It doesnt matter what you "consider". Facts are facts. 

iPhone 7 is new, not one year old. Your argument is stupid. Complaining that in one year the design will be "one year old" is amazing:)

And like you said, most people put case on it, so you wont see the difference even if you want to.
    baconstangStrangeDaysrandominternetpersonduervowatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 53
    KMTKMT Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    nobody cares about the screen. We all want features like wireless charging to be implemented into the next version.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    chazbcn said:
    New industrial desging + wireless (inductive?) charge could indeed push demand for 2017 iPhone.
    An OLED screen is something 'regular' non-tech people would care much less than the physical appearance of the phone (unless it's curved like in the Galaxy Edge series).
    If this is true, Apple would then have 4 sizes of phones, although the 5.5" and this possible new 5.2" model would be too similar in size, even though it's rumored to have a reduced bezels and possibly no home button at all.
    Speaking of which: it will be interesting to see how Apple manage to keep battery life while reducing the chin and forehead of the phone and even adding up new hardware features (maybe?) in this new high-end mythical model.
    They keep battery life via reduced energy requirements of the OLED display.
    baconstang
  • Reply 37 of 53
    roake said:
    chazbcn said:
    New industrial desging + wireless (inductive?) charge could indeed push demand for 2017 iPhone.
    An OLED screen is something 'regular' non-tech people would care much less than the physical appearance of the phone (unless it's curved like in the Galaxy Edge series).
    If this is true, Apple would then have 4 sizes of phones, although the 5.5" and this possible new 5.2" model would be too similar in size, even though it's rumored to have a reduced bezels and possibly no home button at all.
    Speaking of which: it will be interesting to see how Apple manage to keep battery life while reducing the chin and forehead of the phone and even adding up new hardware features (maybe?) in this new high-end mythical model.
    They keep battery life via reduced energy requirements of the OLED display.
    Reduced energy requirements of the OLED display is not true. The energy requirements of OLED is color dependent, and white consumes the most energy. This page with a white background is the enemy of the battery of your OLED device. OLED is suitable to small iconography and signage such as Touch Bar on the new Macbook Pros, but not suited to graphics or to routine computing that mostly occur on white background.
    edited November 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 53
    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    red oak said:

Clown 

2014 - iPhone6
    2015 - iPhone6s
    2016 - iPhone7

Are you drunk?

iPhone 5S was released on 20. 9. 2013. Thats 3 years and 2 months ago.

iPhone 6 was released 19. 9. 2014. Thats 2 years and 2 months ago.

Go back to elementary school or buy yourself a calendar. 

As I said already, stop posting! You just embarrass yourself.

Either way we are stuck with the same design for THREE YEARS.
    It's not the same design. Similar, but not the same. Further, you're being ignorant to a reminder Jobs and Ive often gave -- design isn't about how something looks, it's about how it works. You don't seem to get it.

I can't imagine you bringing up similar issues over the multiple years of near-identical Macs shells, or the Apple TV, etc... 
    edited December 2016 randominternetpersonduervoroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 53
    zoetmb said:
    pk22901 said:

"LCD is the bottom rung of display technology"

Not necessarily. Per Displaymate's testing, the iPhone 7 / 7 Plus has the best LCD display of any device ever, including TVs

http://www.zdnet.com/article/displaymate-analysis-apple-iphone-7-has-the-best-lcd-display-ever-tested/

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone7_ShootOut_1.htm
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 40 of 53
    nhughes said:
    Watch Apple's keynote. They specifically pitched the new entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro to legacy MacBook Air users, talking about the smaller footprint and Retina display.
    Yes, talking about the smaller footprint and Retina display he just compared the new Macbook Pro with function keys to Macbook Air. Anyone can suggest that MBP to a Macbook Air user, there is nothing unusual with that. But that doesn't mean that Apple intends to "replace" the Macbook Air with a Macbook Pro given their $500 price difference. That doesn't hold water. Macbook Air is known as an entry level machine, and by pushing a brand new "Pro" machine as "entry level", Apple would have shot itself on the foot.
    edited November 2016