All-new OLED 'iPhone 8,' glass-backed 4.7" model expected to drive Apple sales to 'unprecedented' h

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    I'm definitely getting one I just hope Apple start manufacturing earlier to keep up with the expected demand. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 53
    I like the concept photo, a lot...if the new iPhone is anything like it, it will seriously "date" the current iPhone. This is what Apple does...it is always moving forward w/ new improvements in hardware and software and with the usual Apple flair for aesthetics.

I can't wait. I also like the idea of the wireless charging. 

I have the Apple charging stand for my watch and love it. I'm thinking of buying another one for my desk at work. 

Best
  • Reply 43 of 53
    nhughes said:
    I don't think Apple conceived the 13" Macbook Pro with function keys as a replacement for Macbook Air. Their price difference is huge, 1500 vs 1000. So, MCK has predicted nothing about that. The candidate replacement for the Macbook Air is the Retina Macbook, when it is shifted to the $1000 price slot of Macbook Air.
    Watch Apple's keynote. They specifically pitched the new entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro to legacy MacBook Air users, talking about the smaller footprint and Retina display.
    Yes, talking about the smaller footprint and Retina display he just compared the new Macbook Pro with function keys to Macbook Air. Anyone can suggest that MBP to a Macbook Air user, there is nothing unusual with that. But that doesn't mean that Apple intends to "replace" the Macbook Air with a Macbook Pro given their $500 price difference. That doesn't hold water. Macbook Air is known as an entry level machine, and by pushing a brand new "Pro" machine as "entry level", Apple would have shot itself on the foot.
    Kuo said there would be a new ultra-portable MacBook with a Retina display, without the Touch Bar, and with a lower price point. He called it a MacBook Air (because he didn't know what the branding would be), but he was wright. That's why I mentioned it in the story — his prediction was accurate. I don't really care about branding/naming on products: Apple could call next year's iPhone the iPhone X or iPhone 10th anniversary or Apple Phone or whatever they want — the branding is meaningless, really, and could change at any point. I'm focused on the claims about hardware and design and specs, and how accurate they prove to be.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    nhughes said:
    nhughes said:
    I don't think Apple conceived the 13" Macbook Pro with function keys as a replacement for Macbook Air. Their price difference is huge, 1500 vs 1000. So, MCK has predicted nothing about that. The candidate replacement for the Macbook Air is the Retina Macbook, when it is shifted to the $1000 price slot of Macbook Air.
    Watch Apple's keynote. They specifically pitched the new entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro to legacy MacBook Air users, talking about the smaller footprint and Retina display.
    Yes, talking about the smaller footprint and Retina display he just compared the new Macbook Pro with function keys to Macbook Air. Anyone can suggest that MBP to a Macbook Air user, there is nothing unusual with that. But that doesn't mean that Apple intends to "replace" the Macbook Air with a Macbook Pro given their $500 price difference. That doesn't hold water. Macbook Air is known as an entry level machine, and by pushing a brand new "Pro" machine as "entry level", Apple would have shot itself on the foot.
    Kuo said there would be a new ultra-portable MacBook with a Retina display, without the Touch Bar, and with a lower price point. He called it a MacBook Air (because he didn't know what the branding would be), but he was wright. That's why I mentioned it in the story — his prediction was accurate. I don't really care about branding/naming on products: Apple could call next year's iPhone the iPhone X or iPhone 10th anniversary or Apple Phone or whatever they want — the branding is meaningless, really, and could change at any point. I'm focused on the claims about hardware and design and specs, and how accurate they prove to be.
    Retina - no Touch Bar - Macbook Air and he failed spectacularly with that. No Thunderbolt in that prediction. He predicted a Macbook Air and Apple released a Pro range all with Thunderbolt instead, with no Macbook Air in sight... And that "lower" price point of $1500 being closer to other Pro models than Macbook Air at $1000.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 45 of 53
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Can anyone explain why a meager design change suddenly drives unprecedented sales?

Or this is just nonsense to setup a huge AAPL-is-doomed fiasco when iPhone 7s/8 sales are marginally better than the year before, just like every iPhone y-o-y.
    Meager?  If the reports play out, including true wireless charging (not inductive pad based) and partnerships with places like Starbucks to offer in-store wireless charging, it's going to be a game changer.  Think about not having to ever plug your iPhone in - it's going to be both a blessing and curse, but it's going to force a shift in the market and Apple will be the one to make it happen.  Add to that a new use for OLED edge screen (as changeable buttons), better cameras, new case material, further water-proofing upgrade.  It could be a huge deal for Apple, if they can make it happen.

Then from here, they'll work on wireless charging for iPads and MacBooks, which will keep sales moving forward for at least the next 3-5 years, and we'll likely see some other advancement happen in this time.
    Not sure you want to be in a room that is radiating enough power that you can effectively charge an iPhone / iPad / MacBook from a source or sources many meters away.  Distance is the killer to any wireless charging.  It if takes maybe a couple of hours to charge a phone through induction when it is sitting on a charging mat (distance effectively none), imagine the power required to induce a similar charge at say 20 feet / 3 meters?  And that power is radiating regardless of anyone actually using it.  Seems like a very expensive and inefficient solution to a small problem.
    macpluspluswatto_cobrawozwoz
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Meager?  If the reports play out, including true wireless charging (not inductive pad based) and partnerships with places like Starbucks to offer in-store wireless charging, it's going to be a game changer.  Think about not having to ever plug your iPhone in - it's going to be both a blessing and curse, but it's going to force a shift in the market and Apple will be the one to make it happen.  Add to that a new use for OLED edge screen (as changeable buttons), better cameras, new case material, further water-proofing upgrade.  It could be a huge deal for Apple, if they can make it happen.
    Too many innovations in a single release. Looking back how Apple evolves the phone, they seem very conservative, and usually release one major feature at a time. If they do release a holy grail smartphone like you are describing above, who is going to buy the next one?
    edited November 2016 macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 53
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    Gorecki said:
    sog35 said:
    red oak said:
    "We have suffering with the same crappy iPhone design for 3 years" 

Clown 
    stop being an Applefanboy. The current design of the iPhone7 is old and dated.  Massive chin and forehead is ugly as hell.

And the fact that a silver/gold iPhone7 looks exactly like a 3 year old phone is depressing. Note: I own a 6+
    The "3 year old phone" is iPhone 5S. If you cant spot a difference, you are blind, troll or plain stupid. Even when comparing it to iPhone 6/6S, there are major differences. But you have already proved that you are clueless, when it comes to design.

Stop posting about it! You just embarrass yourself.
    The 3 year old phone is the iPhone6

2014 - iPhone6
    2015 - iPhone6s
    2016 - iPhone7

We will be in 2017 in about a month

Are you drunk?

iPhone 5S was released on 20. 9. 2013. Thats 3 years and 2 months ago.

iPhone 6 was released 19. 9. 2014. Thats 2 years and 2 months ago.

Go back to elementary school or buy yourself a calendar. 

As I said already, stop posting! You just embarrass yourself.

Either way we are stuck with the same design for THREE YEARS.
    It's not the same design. Similar, but not the same. Further, you're being ignorant to a reminder Jobs and Ive often gave -- design isn't about how something looks, it's about how it works. You don't seem to get it. You should probably not be involved in product nor invest in product companies. Your mind is not prepared.

I can't imagine you throwing similar hissy fits over the multiple years of near-identical Macs shells, or the Apple TV, etc... 
    people don't upgrade Mac's every year or every 2 years like the iPhone

If you don't think having the same shell design for 3 years is not hurting the 7 you are fooling your self.

and the 6, 6s, and 7 are the same design to the average person. I can instantly tell the difference between a 4, 4s, 5s, and 6.  Its very hard to tell the difference between a silver 6, 6s, and 7 from 4 feet away. 
    Other than colors, it's impossible to tell but that doesn't diminish the value or utility of the iPhone
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 53
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Purchasing the iPhone 8 next year is a given. My problem is my 2012 MacBook Pro which will probably be declared ancient next year. The problem is I want a 13" MacBook with two USB-C ports (no interest in Touch Bars and no longer need the speed/power of the Pro models). The current 12" model is a touch too small for me so a 13" version would be ideal. My backup plan would be the 13" MacBook Pro without Touch Bar.

• Reply 49 of 53

Anyway, if we focus not on what Kuo predicted but on what he couldn’t have predicted we may come to some interesting conclusions.

What he couldn’t have predicted may be related to wireless charging. The cube that doesn’t fit into the round hole is why all next year’s models would have wireless charging. Wireless charging seems redundant. Unless there is a bigger project ongoing that would bring wireless charging to all Apple phones and peripherals as a mainstream feature, like Bluetooth LE…

OLED makes sense if and only if Apple needs another physical layer in the display. OLED rumors may point to a screen-wide TouchID sensor. Since OLED is thinner and since we know from the Watch 2 that Apple has invested a good amount of engineering in this OLED display to make it even thinner, it is not hard to anticipate that another physical layer enters into play.

And since Touch ID embedded into the display would make the Home button redundant, we can imagine finally its removal and enlargement of the display to 5.1 inch. With 16:9 ratio that gives something like 2.5” x 4.45”. And to this reduced top and bottom bezels required for gaming and front camera, we get a fairly good overall size.

edited November 2016
  • Reply 50 of 53
    And who is designing this new phone given Ive is now designing christmas trees without lights?
    wozwoz
  • Reply 51 of 53
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    I hear iPhone 8 may see the prodigal return of the headphone jack - you heard it here first guys
    snype719
  • Reply 52 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Wonder if it might be one of the first phones to come in green? PANTONE 15-0343 Greenery is the color of the year for 2017. Some companies latch onto promoted colors and I'll guess some phone manufacturer will, if not a couple of them.