Facebook launches Instant Games on Messenger for iOS, Android & Web

Posted:
in iPhone
Facebook on Tuesday launched Instant Games, a series of titles that can be played in the Messenger iOS and Android apps, or through the company's website.

The games should be quick to load since they're delivered via HTML5, rather than as full downloads, TechCrunch noted. While players can compete via high score rankings, real time multiplayer is at this point unavailable.

The initial slate of games includes titles like Galaga, Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and Words With Friends Frenzy. All are free of ads and in-game purchases, at least for the moment.

Players can sketch over screenshots of their high scores, and share games to their Facebook News Feed, which will allow other players to jump in instantly as well.

For developers, Instant Games access is only in a closed beta, to which they have to apply. For the public, though, the games are accessible in 30 regions, including the likes of Canada, Russia, the U.S., Germany, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. Notably absent is mainland China, where Facebook is banned.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Can we have mature version of any messenger from any company? Thi is communication device mainly - not a gamining toy. Whate else? Photo editing embedded app in Messenger? Dating service? Platform in platform?
    dysamoriaairbubble
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Sugar up. Then monetize..
    geekmee
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I refuse to use it for messaging. I prefer not to check my Facebook messages on mobile rather than be forced to use their damned app. So why would I play games on it? Piece of marketing garbage.
    edited November 2016