British MP urges schools to confiscate iPads, says children use tablet to bully

Posted:
in iPad edited November 2016
A British Conservative Party politician is calling on educators to prohibit the use of, and if necessary confiscate, iPads during daily lessons in a bid to keep students focused on academic pursuits.

Edward Timpson, Minister of State for Vulnerable Children and Families at Department for Education, called for a reduction in iPad use during classes in response to recent concerns that students are using the device to bully one another, reports The Telegraph.

Timpson outlined his plan to fellow Parliament members in a session with the House of Lords Communications Committee. The MP appears to refer to "iPad" as an interchangeable term for any tablet device.

"A problem in a number of schools which we've sought to address is the iPad or the tablet coming into schools and it forming far too much of the school day's activities of children and it being used inappropriately for some of the bullying and harassment that we know sadly goes on the back of it," Timpson said. "That's why we've strengthen the powers of headteachers to confiscate and remove material and so on."

The UK currently lacks regulations on the use of portable devices in educational settings, instead leaving the creation and execution of rules to individual schools. Ongoing studies, including government-funded inquiries, are looking into the effect such devices have on students, the report says.

For example, a study conducted by the London School of Economics suggested schools that banned mobile phones saw test scores increase an average of 6 percent.

For Apple, iPad has in many ways replaced the Mac in the company's quest for a piece of the education market pie. Apple courts public and private institutions in the U.S. by offering bulk device purchase discounts, while at the same time marketing low-cost backend services to easily manage mass deployments.

Most recently, Apple in March launched the Classroom app to help teachers manage, monitor and connect shared student iPads.

A major contender for marketshare in the U.S., Apple's iPad in Education initiative has in large part floundered in other countries. Apple first expanded iBooks Textbooks and the iTunes U Course Manager app to international markets including Europe in 2014, but governments have been slow to adopt the larger holistic iPad hardware/software platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    How about using discipline on the bullies?? Don't tell me that the Britain is also catering to kids like the U.S. is?  This has got to stop, our world will be a mess in 40 years with todays kids running everything. 
    edited November 2016 Metriacanthosauruslostkiwibaconstangdanhmonstrosityirelandbrakkenbucksternetmagejbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Bring back the abacus. Aside from using it to hit people over the head, it is perfectly safe.
    edited November 2016 lostkiwibrakkenGeorgeBMacstevehai46dysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Proposal makes sense.
    You can tell from that photo; that while Mr. lefty liberal pinko CA hipster teacher is trying to teach about flowers (oops, gay also); clearly, the young student is busy starring at pictures of giant ta-ta's. (just look at his face)
    MetriacanthosaurusbrakkenbucksterGeorgeBMacmike1jbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 40
    More and more restrictions to "protect" some of us is a thinly veiled attempt to notch things up ever closer to a police state.

We all should realize that no amount of regulations or restrictions will make people "good." It's up to each of us to simply treat others with respect and kindness.

Devices such as iPads are far more beneficial than "bad."

roakelostkiwientropysmonstrositybucksternetmagestevehdysamoriaration al
  • Reply 5 of 40
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    Yeah...right. The Torygraph will always go the extra length to smack down the UK education system, its teachers and institutions in its persuit of a return to Victorian values. More fake news from reactionary_nutter's corner. 
    lostkiwiRayz2016hammerd2boredumbai46dysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Years ago, to take care of a bully, a group of non-bullies would get together and beat the ever loving shit out of the bully. And the problem went away.

Today, the blame is place on everything and anything except where it belongs...the bully.

They hold hour long assemblies in school on bullying, playing up nothing but victim suffering.

Victim culture is a disease.

supadav03roakeviclauyyclostkiwibaconstangentropysmonstrositybrakkenbucksterdasanman69
  • Reply 7 of 40
    People are always afraid of change and if you tend to being more conservative (nothing wrong with that BTW) but you are probably less likely to embrace change. Technology is all about change. Any country that tries to 'go back to the good old days' will end up in bad shape. You can easily name the countries that are trying to live in the 11th century. They aren't doing well economically.
    lostkiwibucksterjbdragondysamoria
  • Reply 8 of 40
    cashxx said:
    How about using discipline on the bullies?? Don't tell me that the Britain is also catering to kids like the U.S. is?  This has got to stop, our world will be a mess in 40 years with todays kids running everything. 
    That is what they said 40 years ago.
    king editor the grateboredumbnetmagedysamoriajony0
  • Reply 9 of 40
    viclauyyc said:
    cashxx said:
    That is what they said 40 years ago.
    Many people would look at the world - particularly the political sphere in the USA and UK - and argue that they were right 40 years ago.
    edited November 2016 baconstangFatmanentropyslightknightmike1freethinkingnetmagejbdragoncwingravsteveh
  • Reply 10 of 40

cashxx said:
    Today's kids 'are' running everything.
    bucksterdysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 40
    frac said:
    Yeah...right. The Torygraph will always go the extra length to smack down the UK education system, its teachers and institutions in its persuit of a return to Victorian values. More fake news from reactionary_nutter's corner. 
    Just wait until the Mail and Express take up the story.... If you think that the Telegraph is bad then you ain't seen nothing yet.
    I'd just ban all mobile devices in schools except for those provided by the school. Then the schools network could block access to sites like Facebook etc where the bullying takes place.
    My Grandaughters school has banned all mobile devices from being used. After a few weeks she got used to it and now supports the move.
    Anyone caught using a device in school hours gets an automatic detention and extra homework. This isn't a state school but a fee paying one so policies like this might be harder to implement elsewhere.

baconstangstevehdysamoriaration al
  • Reply 12 of 40
    That's right. Put the blame on an inanimate object. Where have I seen it before...
    netmagedysamoriajony0
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Yep! Can't agree more. Just look at our President-Elect who is bullying half the United States with his middle of night tweets on one of his iPhone or iPad!
    dysamoriaMacProjony0
  • Reply 14 of 40
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    It wasn't me teacher ... the iPad made me do it!
    GeorgeBMacstevehstompydysamoriaration aljony0
  • Reply 15 of 40
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Another Tory saying something is happening, that appears to lack evidence that this is happening. Key phrase "we sadly know" == "I have no clue, but I guess it's happening", for example.

This is Tory modus operandi. And without an opposition party in government right now this will continue.

But we are living in a post-factual world, where evidence and experts count for nothing, and dogma and hunches are all that matter.
    netmageai46dysamoria
  • Reply 16 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Yes, deal with the result don't address the problem.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Mikeymike said:
    Proposal makes sense.
    You can tell from that photo; that while Mr. lefty liberal pinko CA hipster teacher is trying to teach about flowers (oops, gay also); clearly, the young student is busy starring at pictures of giant ta-ta's. (just look at his face)
    I don't know how you did it but you managed to squeeze in more childish stupidity per word than in any other post I've ever seen on this site
    netmage
  • Reply 18 of 40
    By all means, blame anything except the person. That builds character, right? This just proves the people at the top haven't got a clue about education.
    edited November 2016 stevehdysamoriaration al
  • Reply 19 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    You know it is possible for the bully to be at fault and the iPad to be a factor.  People in here acting like it's an either/or decision on a single point of blame.

Not sure that banning them is the best response (though the 6% test score improvement when mobile phones are banned is an interesting fact in the discussion), but maybe proposing it will get a more insightful conversation started and a coordinated response across schools.
    wigginstevehdysamoria
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Who pays for/plays with that MP? AI ought to do some background on that asshole, rather than perpetrate his lame shite story, yes?