Apple Music student memberships now available in more than 30 regions

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited November 2016
Apple on Tuesday expanded Apple Music student membership eligibility to include more than 30 markets, with the latest round of additions extending the subscription tier to countries like Canada, China, India and more.

As of today, college and university students in Canada and 24 other countries can access Apple Music content at a discounted rate for up to 48 months, reports Financial Post.

Launched in May, the cut-rate Apple Music student membership tier was initially restricted to users in Australia, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK and the U.S. Today's additions bring Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Chile, Colombia, Finland, France, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Russia, Switzerland, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Thailand, and the United Arab Emirates into the fold.

Apple is once again working with UNiDAYS to verify student enrollment, which must be maintained to retain the special Apple Music pricing. Alternatively, the report notes students in Canada and other locales can directly verify eligibility by signing up for Apple Music through their campus Wi-Fi network or by using a school email address.

As with the initial rollout, existing Apple Music subscribers can transfer their individual account to a student account via iTunes or the Music app on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC or Android.

Expanded student membership availability arrives on the heels of rumors that Apple might drop regular subscription fees by 20 percent in a bid to compete with rival streaming services like Amazon's Music Unlimited. The potential price cut was due to arrive in time for the holidays, but with less than a month left until Christmas, that launch time window is becoming increasingly unlikely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nice try but i like to buy things and own them rather then pay stupid membership fees and never own anything
  • Reply 2 of 4
    johnbear said:
    nice try but i like to buy things and own them rather then pay stupid membership fees and never own anything

Then Apple Music is not for you. You can always go to the iTunes Music Store. The selection is more and you can actually buy the songs.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    johnbear said:

Then Apple Music is not for you. You can always go to the iTunes Music Store. The selection is more and you can actually buy the songs.

For now...I can see a day when iTunes is subscription only. 
  • Reply 4 of 4
    The Buying vs Renting (leasing, subscription, etc,) decision is always an interesting one.

Obviously when a "rental" ends up costing more than buying a product, buying is better. Like a washer/dryer, vs the laundromat.
    But when you buy something that depreciates so significantly, that renting would be best, renting might be better.
    Buying a Home or property is better than renting because it actually appreciates in value over time.
    Leasing an $85,000 car, makes sense, when the car depreciates to $60K after a few months, and in three years, may not even be worth half of the $85K..
    I could never own 20 million songs, and they all depreciate over time. And I listen to music ~10 hours a day.

I think renting (Apple Music Subscription) makes sense here, for me.

BTW, I do own around 23,000 songs, going back to ~1979.
    edited November 2016