Kaby Lake suitable for MacBook Pro said to debut at January's Consumer Electronics Show

Posted:
in General Discussion
According to reports out of the Chinese supply chain, Intel is gearing up to announce and release the H-series Kaby Lake processor, suitable for use in laptops like the MacBook Pro.

According to DigiTimes, the first H-series quad-core processors intended for high-end gaming laptops and ultrabook-class machines like the MacBook Pro will be revealed at the January Consumer Electronics Show.

The data was gleaned from Asus, Gigabyte, and Micro-Star offerings being prepared for announcement at the show, utilizing the new processors.

While Kaby Lake's details had been known for some time prior to official release, the line was only officially announced in August. Chips in the line suitable for mobile and lower-powered computers are available now.

Kaby Lake will ultimately have five classes of processors, with two classes for devices like the Retina MacBook and the MacBook Air; one for laptops like the MacBook Pro; and two spanning servers, high-power workstations, and desktops.

In September, reports circulated that manufacturers had the first processors suitable for desktop computers in limited quantities and before official announcement of the chip. Typically, samples for computer designers like Apple are delivered a few months before full public announcement, with sufficient capacity only available for large-scale manufacture months later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    No mention of the S-series working on iMacs or have we bought into the hysteria of Apple dropping everything except laptops so why worry about it? Of course, maybe even the S-series CPUs aren't worth using.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Kaby lake is late for NEW Macbook Pro update. Next major update Apple should do with 10nm Cannonlake/Tigerlake/Icelake processors, Intel's Optane Xpoint SSD,.OLED screen, DDR4...Have 4 type-c ports(two on each side) on low end non oled strip Macbook Pro.
    edited November 2016 Chris J
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Chris JChris J Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    Since Kaby Lake still wont support LPDDR4 RAM (so still no support for >16GB RAM), (edit) still only quad-core offerings (/edit) and the only real enhancement is a bump in the integrated graphics, this isn't really going to be a significant improvement for the high-end macbook pros (which use discrete graphics chips). It could be that only the U-series will make an appearance in the macbooks with the pros remaining as they are until coffee lake chips are available (2nd half of 2018 perhaps?).

edited November 2016 macxpressiphonenickration al
  • Reply 4 of 25
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Apple needs to hurry up and ditch Intel yesterday. I hope arm development is getting close.
    blastdooriphonenickpropod
  • Reply 5 of 25
    rob53 said:
    No mention of the S-series working on iMacs or have we bought into the hysteria of Apple dropping everything except laptops so why worry about it? Of course, maybe even the S-series CPUs aren't worth using.

It says specifically that the S-series is designed for AIOs (all-in-ones) and minis.  How could it not work for an iMac?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    wood1208 said:
    Kaby lake is late for NEW Macbook Pro update. Best to wait for 10nm Cannonlake/Tigerlake/Icelake processors, Intel's Optane Xpoint SSD,.OLED screen, DDR4...
    No chance. I'm waiting for WhineLake. 
    perkedelstompystevehsuddenly newtondamn_its_hotchia
  • Reply 7 of 25
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,280member
    qwwera said:
    Apple needs to hurry up and ditch Intel yesterday. I hope arm development is getting close.
    Yeah, would be nice. Intel isn't just resting on its laurels -- they're totally passed out. 

There's an outside chance that even poor little AMD might manage to field a competitive product next year with Zen. 
  • Reply 8 of 25
    If the rest of the KBL chips are like the early unit Tom's Hardware got, Apple should skip it. Very little performance boost, nearly double the power consumption under load. 
  • Reply 9 of 25
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    rob53 said:

It says specifically that the S-series is designed for AIOs (all-in-ones) and minis.  How could it not work for an iMac?
    The article doesn't mention it. I saw it in the image. As for Intel's AIO designation, who knows if that actually applies to the iMac, especially after reading @thewhitefalcon comment.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    rob53 said:
    ...or have we bought into the hysteria of Apple dropping everything except laptops...
    Yeah, I guess we are living in a world where many, especially younger, Mac users don't have a desk. They just find a table somewhere or recline in a couch or easy chair to use their computer. I'm traveling right now so I'm using my MBP but I much prefer my iMac 5K in my office or my Mac Pro at home.
    aegean
  • Reply 11 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    rob53 said:

Looks like those are dual core CPU's which kinda tells me their suited for mobile devices. Apple I think typically uses desktop class CPU's in the iMac. 

I think this is the same processor...someone correct me if I'm wrong:

https://ark.intel.com/products/95443/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz
  • Reply 12 of 25
    Rayz2016 said:
    wood1208 said:
    Kaby lake is late for NEW Macbook Pro update. Best to wait for 10nm Cannonlake/Tigerlake/Icelake processors, Intel's Optane Xpoint SSD,.OLED screen, DDR4...
    Intel loves it when people focus on "Intel inside" instead of the whole computer. It means their marketing to pre-sell you on next year's CPU is working as intended.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 13 of 25
    qwwera said:
    So the company that makes the most powerful processors is not progressing at your desired pace, so Apple should ditch the entire platform (with all the obvious challenges and drawbacks) at the first sign of another chip company maybe catching up? Where is the logic in that?
    singularity
  • Reply 14 of 25
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    rcomeau said:
    qwwera said:
    So the company that makes the most powerful processors is not progressing at your desired pace, so Apple should ditch the entire platform (with all the obvious challenges and drawbacks) at the first sign of another chip company maybe catching up? Where is the logic in that?
    There are a lot of folks claiming that Intel is holding Apple back but I think Intel has been catering to Apple's needs with lower power parts.  They went from a 35W Core i5-2435M in the 2011 MBP with 11.5 power / watt to a 28W i5-5257U and a 20.78 performance / watt in 2015 to a 15W i5-6360U in 2016 (the 6267U is 28W).

The Core M 6Y54 used in the MB is 4.5W and 118.5 p/W and the Core M 6Y75 is 132.95 p/W.

http://www.comparecpus.com/en/intel-i5-5257u-power-consumption/model-166-10

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/221881-apples-a9x-goes-head-to-head-against-intels-core-m-in-arm-x86-grudge-match

Essentially Intel has matched ARM's power advantage so for a laptop maintaining easy windows capability probably is worth the BOM cost delta given the number of enterprise deployments of the MB/MBP.  I have to be able to run MS Project and it works fine in Parallels or Fusion.  Likewise Visio.  And there are still a few enterprise tools that require me to run them in a windows environment.

I don't think ARM development is close to what Intel can provide in a Core i7 or Xeon.
    Chris Jstompyhmm
  • Reply 15 of 25
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Great. What about Kaby Lake for Mac Pro?
  • Reply 16 of 25
    appex said:
    Great. What about Kaby Lake for Mac Pro?
    The Xeon Skylake CPUs designed for the MP won't be out till Q2 2017, nevermind the Kaby Lake version.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 25
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Rayz2016 said:
    wood1208 said:
    That's the one with the ButterMountain chipset, isn't it?
    bigpicschia
  • Reply 18 of 25
    macxpress said:
    rob53 said:

Looks like those are dual core CPU's which kinda tells me their suited for mobile devices. Apple I think typically uses desktop class CPU's in the iMac. 

I think this is the same processor...someone correct me if I'm wrong:

https://ark.intel.com/products/95443/Intel-Core-i5-7200U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz
    https://ark.intel.com/products/84984/Intel-Core-i5-5250U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz?q=5250U

https://ark.intel.com/products/87714/Intel-Core-i5-5575R-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_30-GHz?q=5575R

Retina iMac:

3.5 GHz (i5-4690) Intel Core i5
    3.3 GHz (i5-4590) Intel Core i5
    3.1 GHz (i5-5675R) Intel Core i5
    3.2 GHz (i5-6500) Intel Core i5
    3.3 GHz (i5-6600) Intel Core i5

Full info:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac_(Intel-based)
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Perhaps Apple should just buy a controlling stake in Intel and push development in the direction they want?

Intel has a $164.06 billion market cap.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    devopsChicagodevopsChicago Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    So excited to see Apple incorporate this into their 2018 macbook pros!!
    arthurba