Tim Cook tells iPhone 7 customer to expect AirPods in the 'next few weeks'

Posted:
in iPhone
Responding to a customer's email, Apple CEO Tim Cook noted that the long-awaited AirPods are "finalizing" and expected to ship in the "next few weeks," in time for the holiday season.

An iPhone 7 customer emailed the Apple CEO, claiming to have "really bought in" to Apple's wireless vision of the future, and was seeking more information from the CEO regarding the Apple peripheral.

"Thanks for the note," Cook allegedly responded. "Sorry for the delay -- we are finalizing them and I anticipate we will begin to ship over the next few weeks."

MacRumors claims to have verified the email's headers, with the data corresponding to known information from Apple's corporate servers. The publication acknowledges that emails can be faked.

Sources within Apple corporate have told AppleInsider that there was "no way" that the company was going to miss a holiday season release. Additionally, several venues have received pre-release sets for review.

"We're ready to go any time," one AppleInsider retail source confirmed. "We've got a few pairs for customer demonstration that we're just waiting on the word to start with."

More recently, Czech retailer alza.cz noted on its website that the AirPods are expected to ship in December.

Apple's AirPods, Powerbeats 3, Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones all feature a the Apple-designed W1 chip that makes it easier to pair with multiple Apple devices. In addition to the W1, AirPods also include beam-forming microphones, accelerometers, infrared sensors, and a small charging and carrying case that will provide more power on the go as well as the mechanism to sync with the iPhone 7.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    Sort of like the Apple Pencil debacle just last year. Device shown, support grows, interest develops, wallets open and...no show.
    rezwitsblastdoorsirlance99entropysrandominternetpersondoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 80
    sog35 said:
    Sort of like the Apple Pencil debacle just last year. Device shown, support grows, interest develops, wallets open and...no show.
    Tim Cook's apple.

I pretty much lost all interest in Airpods 
    Cool! I'll get yours then!
    edited November 2016 macseekerrezwitslkruppmike1buckalecandrewj5790Puh-LeezevahancouvercaliStrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 80
    Tim Cook's apple?!? Can you say White iPhone 4?
    Soliandrewj5790king editor the grateStrangeDaysRayz2016
  • Reply 4 of 80
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Whenever I think of the AirPods, I can't help but think of this Conan sketch...

singularitybigpicsfreethinkingnetroxnapoleon_phoneapartdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 80
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The negativity that has infected AI is disgusting.
    wonkothesaneEric_WVGGSolipscooter63andrewj5790macguimacxpressrf9vahancouverbrucemc
  • Reply 6 of 80
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    Tim Cook's apple.

In mean this with all sincerity, if having to wait a couple months before the announcement of a new product and its release—when nothing else on the market compares to its technological advancements (unless you bought the Beats options with the W1-chip, which I doubt you did)—then you need to get your ADHD under control as it's negatively affecting your life in other ways.
    edited November 2016 mike1pscooter63thewhitefalconandrewj5790king editor the gratePuh-Leezerf9brucemcStrangeDayswaverboy
  • Reply 7 of 80
    Puh-Leeze said:
    Tim Cook's apple?!? Can you say White iPhone 4?
    Or the Apple TV, and countless other products under Steve Jobs.
    andrewj5790Puh-Leezemuppetry
  • Reply 8 of 80
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    Sources within Apple corporate have told AppleInsider that there was "no way" that the company was going to miss a holiday season release. 

Hmm... 

So, it's all about quality control unless that means they miss the holidays, in which case, just get it out the door? 

I was interested in these, but I will definitely be holding off until I see reviews and how they are working for real customers. 
  • Reply 9 of 80
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Sources within Apple corporate have told AppleInsider that there was "no way" that the company was going to miss a holiday season release.

Regardless of how many of these are sold or not sold, AirPods will have virtually no impact on Apple's financial performance for the holiday season, the quarter or the year. Therefore, I seriously doubt the holiday season is but a minor consideration in determining whether or not they are ready for sale. If they work well and sell, nobody will remember or care whether they first shipped in October or December or January.
    StrangeDaysstantheman
  • Reply 10 of 80
    I REALLY REALLY WANT THESE

My data consumption is evolving from mostly iPhone/carrier to mostly iPad/Wifi and these headphones will help that along.
    calidoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 80
    lkrupp said:
    And why do you think that is?
    anantksundaramentropysblastdoorfreethinkingmacwhat
  • Reply 12 of 80
    mazda 3s said:

I'm always amazed that people still watch Conan.
    cali
  • Reply 13 of 80
    mazda 3s said:

I'm always amazed that people still watch Conan.
    He can be quite funny. In fact, I find him much funnier than the other late night guys such as Fallon, Kimmel, Colbert, etc.

But he can be high-variance. Sometimes he bombs quite badly. But he does throw himself out there, and tends to take more risks than the said others with his comedy.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 14 of 80
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Tim Cook's apple.

In mean this with all sincerity, if having to wait a couple months before the announcement of a new product and its release—when nothing else on the market compares to its technological advancements (unless you bought the Beats options with the W1-chip, which I doubt you did)—then you need to get your ADHD under control as it's negatively affecting your life in other ways.
    ever heard of striking when the iron is hot? iron is ice cold now.

Plus you know the other brands will build their version of the W1 chip in a few months. I might just wait for that now.
    The thing is, if Apple releases a product for sale that is a huge hit and they can't support the volume, then they get killed for not having enough product ready.  So I'm guessing that Apple is waiting for their production partner to ramp up production (which may well have been slowed due to technical or parts supply issues), before releasing them.
    caliStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 80
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Tim Cook's apple.

ever heard of striking when the iron is hot? iron is ice cold now.

Plus you know the other brands will build their version of the W1 chip in a few months. I might just wait for that now.
    Why is the iron cold? Who will have built a custom chip that will integrate with BT headphones and work with iOS within "a few months"? You won't even see this with Android. Just think about how poor trackpads for Windows laptops have been since Apple made this great at least with the original MBP over a decade ago. That's significantly fewer components that need to work together than AirPods.

Don't misinterpret my comments to mean that I don't want Apple to announce a new product and have them delivery it soon—I want it to be available that very day!—but the reality of the world's most valuable company being able to manufacture a new product without anyone finding out, thereby ruining their announcement, is not a realistic assumption. But most importantly, it's your anti-Cook comments and hyperbole that I take umbrage with while you conveniently ignore the countries times this happened under Jobs.
    edited November 2016 andrewj5790caliStrangeDaysmuppetry
  • Reply 16 of 80
    Article doesn't mention BeatsX which will also use the W1 chip and which are probably as hotly anticipated right now as AirPods themselves. I know I'm going for the BeatsX.
    cali
  • Reply 17 of 80
    The selective memory re: product releases under Jobs v. under Cook is amazing...
    caliStrangeDaysmacwhat
  • Reply 18 of 80
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    LOL! Month's overdue and 3x more expensive than BT earbuds that blow them away.
    freethinkingmacwhat
  • Reply 19 of 80
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    lkrupp said:
    Pollyanna positivity is what has destroyed this forum.
    blastdooranantksundarammazda 3sfreethinkingmac_128macwhatgatorguy
  • Reply 20 of 80
    Article doesn't mention BeatsX which will also use the W1 chip and which are probably as hotly anticipated right now as AirPods themselves. I know I'm going for the BeatsX.
    1) Beats Solo 3, too.

2) I prefer in-ear so I'm leaning toward BeatsX, but I'm going to wait to try the AirPods before making a final decision. Somehow I broke one speaker on my Bluez Aftershockz so I've been going with cabled for the last couple months. Can't wait to try AirPods so I can finally get back into BT.