Apple scaling back iPhone 7 production as early demand fades - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 123
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ireland said:
    cali said:
    What do you guys think of Apple providing carrier services?
    Imagine trying to manage that across 120 countries.
     Wouldn't be any less possible than Apple selling iPhones in 120 countries. 

They would start slow in the US and possibly China then roll out in other countries as years go by. 
  • Reply 42 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    At first I thought there were more whiners than normal but I realized I wasn't sign in and thus was able to see posts from users on my block list. 

Apple scales back every year. Not news. 
    StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 123
    Right. And coincidentally there is a big sell off today.
  • Reply 44 of 123
    cali said:

I believe this will help apple better distribute their own products and cut all the crap with carriers taking advantage of its users. 
    I don't. It's a money pit.
  • Reply 45 of 123
    cali said:

I believe this will help apple better distribute their own products and cut all the crap with carriers taking advantage of its users. 
    They missed that boat years and years ago. Missed out on largest spectrum auction in history right around the time of original iPhone (and smaller auctions since that time)
    cali
  • Reply 46 of 123
    sog35 said:
    spice-boy said:
    I think the reason Apple extended the iPhone 6 design into the 7 model is because the new design which will be introduced as the 8 was not ready yet. Which makes most people are predicting that 8 will be a radical change in design, materials and some new tricks. I tend to hold onto my iPhones for 3 years so I don't really care but I am puzzled by people that upgrade every year for what recently has been minor changes (3D touch) and camera improvements. I see no reason for it but then again I live debt free, pay my cc bill in full each month and don't shop because I am bored. 
    I told am holding a 3 year old phone the 6+

I see ZERO reason to buy the 6s or the 6ss. 
    You're also holding one of the worst phones Apple ever made.
  • Reply 47 of 123
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

Why would people want to buy a phone with a 3 year old design?  I mean seriously. If someone holds their phone for 2 year, this phone will have a 5 year old design at the end of their ownership cycle.

To release the same phone design THREE YEARS IN A ROW is the height of Apple's arrogance. But that's Tim Cook's Apple for you. The amount of mistakes this idiot CEO has made is ridiculous.

I hope this iPhone 6SS sells like crap. Hope the stock tanks hard by early 2017. And the board/shareholders wake up and fire Tim Cook. With a competent CEO who actually cares about growing the business and brand (instead of going on some dumb ass social crusade) this stock would be at $200 by now.
    God I wish they'd ban you for trolling. So insane. 
    dick applebaumpscooter63magman1979fastasleepwatto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 48 of 123
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    sog35 said:
    It's pretty simple and has nothing to do with aesthetics. These phones are so good now The incremental improvements aren't enough to get people to upgrade every 1 or 2 years. The screen is good enough and the phone is fast enough for what most people do. A significant improvement in battery life would be a huge selling point but Apple has apparently decided the current battery life is sufficient so that's most likely not going to change anytime soon.
    nothing to do with aesthetics? So why the hell is the Jet Black phone constant being sold out?

People want an iPhone that says 'hey I got the new one' not 'hey I got a 3 year old phone'

End of the day: 

Smartphone market is maturing quicker than people expected
    Smartphone features / performance are at the point where they're getting good enough for most people

As a result, upgrade cycles will lengthen => 3 years? 4 years? Who knows. Given that, coming out with a complete redesign every 2 years makes no sense.
    tmaymike1macplusplusmagman1979
  • Reply 49 of 123
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:
    It's an expensive phone. In Europe the phone starts at $825 including 23% tax. $635 excluding tax.

I reckon if the phone started at €649 instead of €779 it'd be an awful lot more popular for new phone buyers here.
    exactly. And for a phone that looks EXACTLY like a 3 year old phone.

I mean who the hell does Apple think they are fooling?

Tim Cook's Apple is so arrogant and so removed from reality it is sickening.
     No, the only thing sickening is your apparent mental disease. 
    magman1979watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 50 of 123
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    sog35 said:
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

Why would people want to buy a phone with a 3 year old design?  I mean seriously. If someone holds their phone for 2 year, this phone will have a 5 year old design at the end of their ownership cycle.

To release the same phone design THREE YEARS IN A ROW is the height of Apple's arrogance. But that's Tim Cook's Apple for you. The amount of mistakes this idiot CEO has made is ridiculous.

I hope this iPhone 6SS sells like crap. Hope the stock tanks hard by early 2017. And the board/shareholders wake up and fire Tim Cook. With a competent CEO who actually cares about growing the business and brand (instead of going on some dumb ass social crusade) this stock would be at $200 by now.

This coming from the guy who think mining people's personal information and selling the information is better way to make money. I am still waiting for you to share with me all your email accounts and passwords and Bank account information so I can see if you really do not have anything to hide.

BTW have you looked around at the competitors in the last 3 or 4 years all their phones look the same, and perform worse than an Apple phone. Okay a few took out the SD card and put them back in so people thought they were getting something new. A few other are playing the specmanship game or check list buying game of the 90's to make people think they got a new better product. Grant I do not buy ever new phone that comes out I trend to get them replace every 3 to 4 yrs since the apple phones are tough as nails and just work for a long time. But apple does not kill the last product with the next release of software.

I dare you to name one product which the actually visual design have changed significantly enough every year that you can tell which module year it is with a quick look. Even cars which relay in trying to look different all the time only cycle every 5 yrs, all the other changes are color choose from year to year or some subtle trim change. No company is evolving their designs as fast a apple is, in 9 Yrs they gone through 3.5 design platform on the phone. Who in 10 yrs has done more then more than this. Keep in mind that all cell phone today pretty much look like an iphone, I think that is your real issue. 

Samsung.

Compare the S5 to the S7. Huge difference between the 2 years.

I expect significant design changes every 2 years with iPhone. iPhone4 vs 5 vs 6. Big design changes. So big you can tell instantly the difference.
    So Apple should have made the iPhone 6 butt ugly? ;-) 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 123

@sog35 you've had your say, now drop it... I won't let you hijack another thread!

Have the mods ever considered banning him for blatant trolling? He hijacks every thread to intentionally enflame and aggravate, usually off topic to boot. That's trolling. Others have been banned for less. 
    tmaypscooter63magman1979
  • Reply 52 of 123
    Slightly surprised at the level of grousing about the iPhone 7, especially given this is at AppleInsider. My 0.02c worth is that the 7 appears to be a very good upgrade but probably not compelling if you have a 6S (or even a working iPhone 6). The price increase on these phones and also the recent laptops will in my humble opinion turn out to be a marketing error. Personally I think that Apple needs to clear the decks and bring in new management (specifically bye bye Cook and Schiller, Ive is by all accounts on his way out), I know not everyone here agrees with that. As a company, they've lost me with soldered RAM, dumbing down Mac Minis, and the iPhone 6 plus touch screen issue.
  • Reply 53 of 123
    sog35 said:
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

This coming from the guy who think mining people's personal information and selling the information is better way to make money. I am still waiting for you to share with me all your email accounts and passwords and Bank account information so I can see if you really do not have anything to hide.

BTW have you looked around at the competitors in the last 3 or 4 years all their phones look the same, and perform worse than an Apple phone. Okay a few took out the SD card and put them back in so people thought they were getting something new. A few other are playing the specmanship game or check list buying game of the 90's to make people think they got a new better product. Grant I do not buy ever new phone that comes out I trend to get them replace every 3 to 4 yrs since the apple phones are tough as nails and just work for a long time. But apple does not kill the last product with the next release of software.

I dare you to name one product which the actually visual design have changed significantly enough every year that you can tell which module year it is with a quick look. Even cars which relay in trying to look different all the time only cycle every 5 yrs, all the other changes are color choose from year to year or some subtle trim change. No company is evolving their designs as fast a apple is, in 9 Yrs they gone through 3.5 design platform on the phone. Who in 10 yrs has done more then more than this. Keep in mind that all cell phone today pretty much look like an iphone, I think that is your real issue. 

Samsung.

Compare the S5 to the S7. Huge difference between the 2 years.

I expect significant design changes every 2 years with iPhone. iPhone4 vs 5 vs 6. Big design changes. So big you can tell instantly the difference.
    Huh? They moved the flash from underneath the lens, to the side of the lens?
    Groundbreaking...
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 123
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    ireland said:
    It's an expensive phone. In Europe the phone starts at $825 including 23% tax. $635 excluding tax.

I reckon if the phone started at €649 instead of €779 it'd be an awful lot more popular for new phone buyers here.
    I was in the market late last year,  early this year but wasn't going to pay what they were asking. There was nothing compelling about anything in the lineup and without cases they are hard to hold securely and not particularly comfortable either.

The Huawei Mate-S was my non-iOS target but was expensive too (but not as much as Apple and would see discounts later on) but Huawei had made some compromises due to component availability.

In design terms it spanked Apple's now stale offering.

In the end I went budget priced (249€) and got an Honor 7 (VR headset included) with more than decent design and finishing. Was also able to upgrade to Android 6. It has dual SIM capability or SIM plus micro SD. Rear, centred finger print sensor that is faster than what Apple had. It supports gestures on the sensor too. Much to like and little to loathe for the price.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 55 of 123
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    hammerd2 said:
    Apple in "iPhones sell fewer units in second half than in first half" shock scandal ! /s
    hammerd2 said:
    Apple in "iPhones sell fewer units in second half than in first half" shock scandal ! /s
    You left out the meme Apple is doomed....
  • Reply 56 of 123

adm1 said:
    I think the hype about iPhone 8 also has a part to play. Why upgrade to a slightly better 6S when an all-new super-spec model is apparently around the corner (according to the media). 

I went 3G -> 5 -> 6S, unless my 6S starts to feel slow or lacking in features compared to the next one, I can see me waiting for an 8S(9). Saying that, both mine and my wife's 6S's are due a recall shortly to fix the die-randomly battery problem so if the "fix" doesn't work I can maybe see an upgrade sooner rather than later.
    Mass market consumers don't follow tech rumor sites and don't know a thing about the proposed next phone. 
    calitmaymike1watto_cobrabrucemc
  • Reply 57 of 123
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    spice-boy said:
    I think the reason Apple extended the iPhone 6 design into the 7 model is because the new design which will be introduced as the 8 was not ready in time for the 7. A lot of people are predicting that 8 will be a radical change in design, materials with some new pony tricks. I tend to hold onto my iPhones for 3 years so I don't really care but I am puzzled by people that upgrade every year for what recently has been minor changes (3D touch) and camera improvements. 
    If only all the MacBook Pro, Mac mini and Mac Pro buyers buy them every year and Apple will be faster with a refresh for them irregardless of whatever Intel is doing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 123
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    blastdoor said:
    blastdoor said:
    sog35 said:

it seems to me that the difference in physical appearance between the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 6 is in the same ballpark as the difference between the iPhone 5 and 4. True, there was a change in materials between the 4 and 5 and there really hasn't been a big change in materials since the 5, but I don't think the materials matter that much. Also, I actually think the iPhone 7 looks really good. I just don't think this is an issue. 

If we define "design" more broadly than physical appearance (which I think we should), then the iPhone 7 has a lot going for it. The SOC is far and away the best on the market. The storage speed is phenomenal. The camera is very good -- whether it's the best depends on what you care about. Waterproofing is a good feature. 

The biggest problem with the design is the omission of the 3.5 mm jack. I think that's really the crux of the bad sales. If AirPods had been released a year before the iPhone 7, and if they worked well and people loved them, then removing the 3.5 mm jack would have seemed like obviously the right thing to do. Instead, they remove the jack, promise these great new wireless earphones, but then delay them indefinitely. There were surveys showing interest in the AirPods running much higher than interest in the Apple Watch. 

So my theory is that sales are weak because of the audio situation. 
    Isn't the audio situation mitigated by:

iPhone 7 In the Box
    • iPhone with iOS 10
    • EarPods with Lightning Connector
    • Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter
    • Lightning to USB Cable
    • USB Power Adapter
    • Documentation

The adapter is a Band-Aid solution to a self-inflicted wound.  It is better to have a Band-Aid than not have a Band-Aid; but even better not to inflict the wound in the first place. 

There are valid reasons (valuable space inside the iPhone, water-resistance, etc.) to ditch the 3.5 mm for Lightening.

Honest question:  It seems to me that keeping a short adapter plugged into the end of your wired earphone cable is a very minor inconvenience... How many iPhone users have multiple, wired, 3.5 earphones -- where this would be as much of an issue as you say it is?

In any case, your issue will go away as the AirPods become availability... Over the years, Apple has done similar things (SCSI, ADB, FireWire, USB, Floppys, CD/DVD, etc.) and, historically, it is seen and abandoning existing, obsolete baggage in favor of gaining future tech advantages.

I don't disagree with the tradeoffs, nor do I disagree with the idea that it would eventually make sense do dump the jack. 

My criticism is about execution, and that's not a small issue. 

The audio jack should have been removed when doing so would result in a noticeably better experience for consumers. 

People *love* to make the analogy to the original iMac and USB. Fine. But guess what -- the original iMac came with a USB keyboard and mouse in the box, and USB was on its way to becoming an industry standard. 

Lightning is not now, nor will it ever be, an industry standard. Nor is lightning even Apple's preferred solution to replace the audio jack. The preferred solution -- the one that will actually make consumers better off -- is wireless. That's the analogy to USB in the original iMac. But Apple didn't include wireless in the box, and they don't even offer it for sale as an extra because they've screwed up execution.

The analogy to the original iMac would be that instead of including a USB keyboard and mouse, they included an ADB-to-USB dongle along with a keyboard and mouse that attached to the iMac using ethernet, with a promise to sell a USB keyboard and mouse as an optional extra at some point in the fuzzy future.

Bottom line is that Apple screwed up execution here big time. But they didn't have to. They could have made the iPhone 7 a little thicker and still included an audio jack. released the AirPods when they were ready (maybe January of 2017), and then -- assuming the AirPods turn out to be awesome -- remove the audio jack in the iPhone 8. That would have been a totally reasonable and feasible way to go. It would have made both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 more desirable products. 

calianantksundaram
  • Reply 59 of 123
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    williamh said:
    cali said:

I know that Apple would not have given me the phone for free like T-Mobile did.  Apple might offer a reasonably cheap all-in plan though, maybe even with free roaming and overseas data - like T-Mobile does.  Now, I know perfectly well that in the end, the customer pays for everything.  But I'm paying $140/month for 4 lines of service and I got a couple of free iPhone 7s in the process.  Apple could cut out the carrier as a middle-man and help their own bottom line, but I am not convinced it would help mine.
    Imagine a mobile service exclusive to Apple products. Carriers seem to be the biggest bottle neck nowadays. Even if you have to pay more per month or buy your products at full price, the end result would be well worth it. Imagine no limits innovation. 
  • Reply 60 of 123
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Slightly surprised at the level of grousing about the iPhone 7, especially given this is at AppleInsider. My 0.02c worth is that the 7 appears to be a very good upgrade but probably not compelling if you have a 6S (or even a working iPhone 6). The price increase on these phones and also the recent laptops will in my humble opinion turn out to be a marketing error. Personally I think that Apple needs to clear the decks and bring in new management (specifically bye bye Cook and Schiller, Ive is by all accounts on his way out), I know not everyone here agrees with that. As a company, they've lost me with soldered RAM, dumbing down Mac Minis, and the iPhone 6 plus touch screen issue.
    "Ive is by all accounts on his way out"

We don't know that. John Gruber's sources say otherwise

http://daringfireball.net/2016/11/ives_role_at_apple

"Importantly, I’ve also heard from well-placed sources within Apple that there is nothing to this — that while Ive is devoting much of his time and attention to architecture recently (both for the new campus and Apple retail), every aspect of every new product remains as much under his watchful eye as ever. That his chief design officer title isn’t the least bit ceremonial, and instead is an accurate representation of his increased authority."
    calimacplusplus