Apple scaling back iPhone 7 production as early demand fades - report

Comments

• Reply 81 of 123
    The "source" of this is DigiTimes. Not reliable. Not news.
  • Reply 82 of 123
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    sog35 said:
    exactly. And for a phone that looks EXACTLY like a 3 year old phone.

I mean who the hell does Apple think they are fooling?

Tim Cook's Apple is so arrogant and so removed from reality it is sickening.
    The part of the iPhone you see is there to show you stuff and l let you input commands via touch. All the important parts of the phone are inside. What kind of visual changes are you expecting? You can always get a bright pink case or maybe something with faux leopard spots if you want it to look different.
    smaller top and bottom bezel for starters. That alone would have made we upgrade to the 7.

People just don't want to have an iPhone that looks exactly the same as a 3 year old iPhone.

Look at the Samsung phones made when the iPhone6 came out versus now. Totally different. Same with other brands like LG, HTC, Sony, ect. Even cheap Piece of shiit china brands have changed design since 2014. Yet iPhone is still stuck with 2014 design? And we are weeks away from 2017? 
    It stands to reason that the competitors would make changes.  After all, those phones mostly didn't do very well. The iPhone, on the other hand, did rather well. 
    applepieguymike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 83 of 123
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    sog35 said:

The part of the iPhone you see is there to show you stuff and l let you input commands via touch. All the important parts of the phone are inside. What kind of visual changes are you expecting? You can always get a bright pink case or maybe something with faux leopard spots if you want it to look different.
    smaller top and bottom bezel for starters. That alone would have made we upgrade to the 7.

People just don't want to have an iPhone that looks exactly the same as a 3 year old iPhone.

Look at the Samsung phones made when the iPhone6 came out versus now. Totally different. Same with other brands like LG, HTC, Sony, ect. Even cheap Piece of shiit china brands have changed design since 2014. Yet iPhone is still stuck with 2014 design? And we are weeks away from 2017? 
    You must be aware that Apple makes more profit, now 90% of the industry. That happens because Apple works to a roadmap, not a crisis response to the competition's new must have features. If Apple still has "chins" on their devices, it's because they aren't at the point where they can be removed.

Contrary to your personnel beliefs, Apple doesn't do stuff just to piss you off.
    edited December 2016 applepieguymike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 123
    @sog35 you've had your say, now drop it... I won't let you hijack another thread!

Thanks!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 85 of 123
    The smartphone market has matured. For all the whining here when an analyst says the dreaded phrase "peak iPhone", it's finally true. For quite a few years, the growth came in the form of expanding markets and market saturation. But ladies and gentlemen, that day has finally come. 

That in and of itself is not necessarily a bad thing for a consumer, just the investment side of the equation. The exponential growth period is over. The average person (they don't post here) upgrades their iPhone whenever they need one now. Like others have already said, they've been fast enough for a few years now, that annual upgrades or even every other year aren't necessary. Especially since the carriers have basically  killed the subsidies.

I would bet that for the most part, they'll be a strong launch quarter followed by relatively flat sales going forward. It is what it is  
  • Reply 86 of 123
    tmay said:
    sog35 said:

You must be aware that Apple makes more profit, now 90% of the industry. That happens because Apple works to a roadmap, not a crisis response to the competition's new must have features. If Apple still has "chins" on their devices, it's because they aren't at the point where they can be removed.

Contrary to your personnel beliefs, Apple doesn't do stuff just to piss you off.
    Another thing to consider is that Apple with its [relatively] few iPhone models requires a much higher volume of high-quality components than its competitors who produce much fewer premium phones.  A good example of this is the large volume of [high-quality] OLED displays needed for Apple produce OLED iPhones.  

If I were to guess I'd say Apple would require 10 x the number of [high-quality] OLED displays currently sold by all its competitors.

mike1tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 123
    I and many of my friends own iPhones. 1 (one) has an iPhone 7.
  • Reply 88 of 123
    pembroke said:
    I and many of my friends own iPhones. 1 (one) has an iPhone 7.
    Our household of 5 has 3 iPhone 7Ses.

It will be 4 with another trip to the Apple Store for upgrade through the iPhone upgrade program.

Both of our posts are anecdotal!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 123
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

Why would people want to buy a phone with a 3 year old design?  I mean seriously. If someone holds their phone for 2 year, this phone will have a 5 year old design at the end of their ownership cycle.

To release the same phone design THREE YEARS IN A ROW is the height of Apple's arrogance. But that's Tim Cook's Apple for you. The amount of mistakes this idiot CEO has made is ridiculous.

I hope this iPhone 6SS sells like crap. Hope the stock tanks hard by early 2017. And the board/shareholders wake up and fire Tim Cook. With a competent CEO who actually cares about growing the business and brand (instead of going on some dumb ass social crusade) this stock would be at $200 by now.

and replace him with who exactly?
  • Reply 90 of 123
    avon b7 said:
    maestro64 said:
    ireland said:
    It's an expensive phone. In Europe the phone starts at $825 including 23% tax. $635 excluding tax.

I reckon if the phone started at €649 instead of €779 it'd be an awful lot more popular for new phone buyers here.

Gee 23% tax, in the US it more like 6% to 8%. No wonder the EU is in trouble you have to tax the hell out of people so they can pay for all the free services people coming to the EU want. Now you know why the UK decided to exit
    Believe me. The UK is waking up to some harsh realities of Brexit and nothing real has actually happened yet. V.A.T is 20% (general) and will probably rise as a result of Brexit. Sales tax varies across the EU depending on the member state. Some items are subject to reduced tax or zero tax. Sales taxes are necessary but when they go over 20%, can be the difference between purchasing something or not (or choosing a lower priced item). If your currency is strong, the situation can be somewhat mitigated but if it is weak, you are in trouble (the buyer that just cannot afford the item, and the manufacturer that can't get the sale). All the manufacturer can do is reduce margins or release cheaper products. Pound Sterling has taken a battering because of Brexit. V.A.T is on the 20% point and Apple is not currently producing ANY new affordable machines. I fully expect Apple sales to implode in the UK and see significant falls in the rest of the EU. That in itself is cause for concern but the other cause for concern is lost market share. Apple will say that while it's products are sold at high margins, volume is not an issue. This is a crass error. A large part of the current user base are not 'Mac users'. They are 'users' who use Macs and or iDevices. There is a massive difference. They might be buying Apple products today but tomorrow they could just as easily be buying from competitors. If your market share starts to dive you will be in trouble quickly unless you have enough critical mass to keep things going. The fall in share price will be the first issue.

iPhone 8 might not be enough if they stick to ultra premium pricing.
    The Mac, as it currently stands, exists for 4 major markets.

1. FCPX users
    2. LPX users
    3. Software Developers (iOS or otherwise)
    4. Post-secondary students

All four have strong and growing communities.  There are many other Pro apps that pro users use on a Mac (ie: Adobe / Autodesk) but those also run equally well on Windows.  So if you don't fall into one of those 3 categories, there's a good chance that you don't NEED a Mac.

As a side note, as "PC" sales decline, laptops / desktops are moving to the premium end of the market and becoming specialized tools. The smartphone, and in a more limited way the tablet, have taken over the mainstream computing market.

Edit: Added post-secondary students as major market
    5. IBM Worldwide
    6. Windows users
    7. you name it...

So, Windows is the default and Mac is in question only if you NEED it. Is that it?

Do not underestimate Apple's penetration in the corporate market. Even outside corporate market, many professionals (not self-claimed ones) and business owners prefer Mac. The first three ones in your list are vertical markets and vertical markets are not Apple's main target, never been. Consider FCPX and LPX as "benevolence". Apple produces for the mass market, not for vertical markets. According to Steve Jobs, "PCs will become trucks" but we are far away from that point yet. Maybe the smartphone will never take over the mainstream computing market, we don't know that yet. Did all smartphone owners throw away their home computers and laptops? We just left "one computer for all" era of the 2000s and entered "multiple devices for everyone" era.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 91 of 123
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    sog35 said:

I see ZERO reason to buy the 6s or the 6ss. 
    I have the 6 and 7. Just not needing to care about getting it wet alone is worth the upgrade.

The camera on the 7 is much better.  

Your complaint is extremely stupid.  Iconic designs change slowly. This is like bitching that the 2015 Porsche 911 was no different than the 2013 Porsche 911 because they look the same ignoring that they added a turbo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 123
    avon b7 said:
    maestro64 said:
    ireland said:
    It's an expensive phone. In Europe the phone starts at $825 including 23% tax. $635 excluding tax.

I reckon if the phone started at €649 instead of €779 it'd be an awful lot more popular for new phone buyers here.

Gee 23% tax, in the US it more like 6% to 8%. No wonder the EU is in trouble you have to tax the hell out of people so they can pay for all the free services people coming to the EU want. Now you know why the UK decided to exit
    Believe me. The UK is waking up to some harsh realities of Brexit and nothing real has actually happened yet. V.A.T is 20% (general) and will probably rise as a result of Brexit. Sales tax varies across the EU depending on the member state. Some items are subject to reduced tax or zero tax. Sales taxes are necessary but when they go over 20%, can be the difference between purchasing something or not (or choosing a lower priced item). If your currency is strong, the situation can be somewhat mitigated but if it is weak, you are in trouble (the buyer that just cannot afford the item, and the manufacturer that can't get the sale). All the manufacturer can do is reduce margins or release cheaper products. Pound Sterling has taken a battering because of Brexit. V.A.T is on the 20% point and Apple is not currently producing ANY new affordable machines. I fully expect Apple sales to implode in the UK and see significant falls in the rest of the EU. That in itself is cause for concern but the other cause for concern is lost market share. Apple will say that while it's products are sold at high margins, volume is not an issue. This is a crass error. A large part of the current user base are not 'Mac users'. They are 'users' who use Macs and or iDevices. There is a massive difference. They might be buying Apple products today but tomorrow they could just as easily be buying from competitors. If your market share starts to dive you will be in trouble quickly unless you have enough critical mass to keep things going. The fall in share price will be the first issue.

iPhone 8 might not be enough if they stick to ultra premium pricing.
    "Apple is not currently producing ANY new affordable machines."

Not true, new iPads are on the way. The new 13" MBP with function keys is the most recent example of an affordable machine.

"Apple will say that while it's products are sold at high margins, volume is not an issue. This is a crass error."

Apple has never said anything like that. Volume is their prime concern and their biggest competitive power. They design, develop and produce for volume. If there is no volume, Apple is not into that product. This is why Apple does not produce for vertical markets. There is no volume in vertical markets.

Cheap junk doesn't mean volume.

"They might be buying Apple products today but tomorrow they could just as easily be buying from competitors."

This is true also for Apple's competitors but for Apple this is even less true. Compare the volume of "iOS switchers" vs "Android switchers" and you'll see the difference. Apple would never lose its customers as fast as its competitors because it doesn't produce smartphones that explode. And it would never lose customers because of pricing.

"If your market share starts to dive you will be in trouble quickly unless you have enough critical mass to keep things going."

Apple products have enough critical mass to keep things going, don't worry about that.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 93 of 123
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

Why would people want to buy a phone with a 3 year old design?  I mean seriously. If someone holds their phone for 2 year, this phone will have a 5 year old design at the end of their ownership cycle.

To release the same phone design THREE YEARS IN A ROW is the height of Apple's arrogance. But that's Tim Cook's Apple for you. The amount of mistakes this idiot CEO has made is ridiculous.

I hope this iPhone 6SS sells like crap. Hope the stock tanks hard by early 2017. And the board/shareholders wake up and fire Tim Cook. With a competent CEO who actually cares about growing the business and brand (instead of going on some dumb ass social crusade) this stock would be at $200 by now.

I agree with you CEO is inept but for various different reasons.  He failed to exploit the tremendous popularity and goodwill of iPhone to fend off competition.  He wants to look like a nice guy.  Maybe for the obvious reason he is afraid to be criticized. Android phones have 88% global market share.  It is much higher than iPhone primarily because of price.  Why Apple would not lower the price?  Lower price will increase sales have been tried and proven true.  Just look at black Friday sales.  Tim Cook may be afraid lower price will hurt profit margin.  If this is his reason his math skill is very poor.  Lower price will hurt profit margin.  But what is the concern?  Of course the concern is the stock price.  But will lower price cause stock to drop 30% or more?  This is where I see Cook and CFO are wrong.  AAPL PE ratio is only 13.  This is much lower than other Dow Jones stocks and high tech stocks.  Will the market drop the PE more because of lower profit margin?  I am willing to bet it will not, 
  • Reply 94 of 123
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    I'm sure iPhone sales will pick up again, now that Apple has revealed
    that Frankenstein's Monster has one...

(Although, really, I'd have pegged him more as an "exploding-phone" kind of guy...)
  • Reply 95 of 123
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

Lower price will increase sales have been tried and proven true.  Just look at black Friday sales. 
    Lower prices never increase sales. What increases sales is consistent pricing. You earn your customers' trust with consistent pricing. The customers trust you in that they will never be ripped off by you, and sooner or later they find you. Black Friday is a rendez-vous day, sellers and buyers prepare for that day. This is just a local market day at the national scale. You cannot declare every day of the year Black Friday, there is such market in the world.
    edited December 2016 tmay
  • Reply 96 of 123
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

Lower price will increase sales have been tried and proven true.  Just look at black Friday sales. 
    Lower prices never increase sales. What increases sales is consistent pricing. You earn your customers' trust with consistent pricing. The customers trust you in that they will never be ripped off by you, and sooner or later they find you. Black Friday is a rendez-vous day, sellers and buyers prepare for that day. This is just a local market day at the national scale. You cannot declare every day of the year Black Friday, there is such market in the world.
    There are numerous ways to reduce the price without lower the price.  For example, Apple could subsidize the carriers to offer the $199 for two years on contract plan like the good old days.
  • Reply 97 of 123
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Thanks to former Apple loyalists like myself who broke their habit of upgrading iPhone every 2 years due to the mediocrity (and lack of imagination) of iPhone 7, Tim Cook, and Jony Ive. Yes, I'm afraid Apple is dying under Tim Cook.
  • Reply 98 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tzeshan said:
    sog35 said:
    How is this a surprise?

I agree with you CEO is inept but for various different reasons.  He failed to exploit the tremendous popularity and goodwill of iPhone to fend off competition.  He wants to look like a nice guy.  Maybe for the obvious reason he is afraid to be criticized. Android phones have 88% global market share.  It is much higher than iPhone primarily because of price.  Why Apple would not lower the price?  Lower price will increase sales have been tried and proven true.  Just look at black Friday sales.  Tim Cook may be afraid lower price will hurt profit margin.  If this is his reason his math skill is very poor.  Lower price will hurt profit margin.  But what is the concern?  Of course the concern is the stock price.  But will lower price cause stock to drop 30% or more?  This is where I see Cook and CFO are wrong.  AAPL PE ratio is only 13.  This is much lower than other Dow Jones stocks and high tech stocks.  Will the market drop the PE more because of lower profit margin?  I am willing to bet it will not, 
    90% profit share. Unit sales (market share) doesn't pay the bills. 

Wall Street doesn't understand Apple. It hasn't in 20 years. 

tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 99 of 123
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

mj web said:
    Thanks to former Apple loyalists like myself who broke their habit of upgrading iPhone every 2 years due to the mediocrity (and lack of imagination) of iPhone 7, Tim Cook, and Jony Ive. Yes, I'm afraid Apple is dying under Tim Cook.
    Nice story. Apple's been "dying" since 1977.

mediocrity? According to whose metrics? iPhones get faster every year. They get better cameras (software and lenses). More features, etc.

tmaymacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 100 of 123
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Let's hope that Apple releases the iPhone 8 in June--the same month the company released the original model in 2007.
    It's the 10th anniversary, isn't it.