Executive leading HealthKit, other software platforms leaves Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 96
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    We have no clue why she left, it could have been a personal thing with her boss, politics, tons of things that have nothing to do about products.
    calidysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 22 of 96
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Soli said:
    Every fucking thread gets ruined by Sog making some anti-Cook rant.
    I thoroughly disagree. They get ruined by people fucking reacting -- often overreacting -- to @sog35.
    Much as I agree that the sure way to keep a troll coming is to keep feeding it, it seems an impossible task to persuade people NOT to. So I have to agree with Soli. I am genuinely interested in what Apple does on the health-kit side of things. I read the article and then went to the comments but a quick scan and...forget it. Even if I was to ignore him and comment intelligently (hopefully), on what the thread was supposed to be about it would be futile because 90% of the thread is about SOG and his echo chamber rants. Which makes it a waste of my time.
    Solidick applebaumtmaysnype719roundaboutnowlondorGeorgeBMacdysamoriabaconstangbrucemc
  • Reply 23 of 96
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

why? Because of Tim Cook's dumb ass  privacy crusade she has one hand tied behind her back.

How the hell can she do here job if Cook refuses to use the data from hundreds of millions of Apple users?

Tim Cook needs to resign. His dumb ass social, policital, and privacy crusades are hurting the company.

Apple has 500 million of the most valuable customers on the planet. Yet Cook refuses to use the data from these customers to open more revenue streams.

Cook preaches privacy, yet Google is still the default search on iOS.
    Cook preaches privacy, yet 80-90% of iOS users use Facebook or Google or both.

Its beyond pathetic that Apple's competitors attack Apple's main revenue streams by bringing out hardware products.
    Yet Apple refuses to fight back with their own search, social, and AI platforms. 

If Cook had half a brain Apple would have developed and released a Google search competitor by now. Or a Facebook competitor. But because of Cooks dumb ass privacy crusade we see neither. And Amazon, Samsung, Microsoft, ect continue to make inroads into Apple's hardware business.

Of all of the decisions Cook has made, Apple's stance on privacy is the MOST IMPORTANT PRODUCT DIFFERENTIATOR they have to offer as a company!
    Solicalimwhitetmaysnype719londorration aldysamoriabaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 96
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    On a lighter note, are there any old fogies like me who read "HeathKit" everytime "HealthKit" is written?
    lkruppThe_Martini_Cat2old4funIronheadGeorgeBMacdysamoriabaconstangargonautbadmonk
  • Reply 25 of 96
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

why? Because of Tim Cook's dumb ass  privacy crusade she has one hand tied behind her back.

How the hell can she do here job if Cook refuses to use the data from hundreds of millions of Apple users?

Tim Cook needs to resign. His dumb ass social, policital, and privacy crusades are hurting the company.

Apple has 500 million of the most valuable customers on the planet. Yet Cook refuses to use the data from these customers to open more revenue streams.

Its beyond pathetic that Apple's competitors attack Apple's main revenue streams by bringing out hardware products.
    Yet Apple refuses to fight back with their own search, social, and AI platforms. 

If Cook had half a brain Apple would have developed and released a Google search competitor by now. Or a Facebook competitor. But because of Cooks dumb ass privacy crusade we see neither. And Amazon, Samsung, Microsoft, ect continue to make inroads into Apple's hardware business.

Of all of the decisions Cook has made, Apple's stance on privacy is the MOST IMPORTANT PRODUCT DIFFERENTIATOR they have to offer as a company!
     Problem is,  The general public doesn't know this. Some android idiots don't even know their own products are spying on them and think iPhones are just as secure or even less so. 
    SpamSandwichGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 96
    Soli said:
    I thoroughly disagree. They get ruined by people fucking reacting -- often overreacting -- to @sog35.

Honest Question: How would you prevent that?

dysamoria
  • Reply 27 of 96
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    spice-boy said:
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

The day Apple uses my data for their profit is the day I quit using Apple products. If you want a major corporation to use your data please switch over to anything Google or Facebook. 
    Really? And then where will you go? Live under a rock? Not a very thought through comment.
  • Reply 28 of 96

AppleBum said:
    On a lighter note, are there any old fogies like me who read "HeathKit" everytime "HealthKit" is written?

Bingo... From a DORF!

About $2,100 in 1978 Dollars ~= $10,000 in 2016 Dollars -- Kinda' makes the iPhone look like pretty good value for the money!

http://www.oldcomputers.net/heathkit-h8.html
    edited December 2016 randominternetpersonGeorgeBMacdysamoriabaconstangpscooter63watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 29 of 96
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

Honestly, that's not much of a differentiator. Look at the amount of people using Facebook, Google Search / Photos / Mail / Youtube.  I don't think they care or have a clue about privacy. Not as compelling as say unlimited photo storage for free and using AI to easily search for and organize your photos.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 30 of 96
    kamilton said:
     I can open a beer bottle with one hand.  Top that!

A twist-off?

I suppose either way, I'd top it by smashing the neck off the bottle and heartily quaffing while beer and blood stream down my face.
    randominternetpersonargonaut
  • Reply 31 of 96
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Honestly, that's not much of a differentiator. Look at the amount of people using Facebook, Google Search / Photos / Mail / Youtube.  I don't think they care or have a clue about privacy. Not as compelling as say unlimited photo storage for free and using AI to easily search for and organize your photos.
    He didn't say it was the only one, or even the biggest one (which is probably design and materials quality), but it's arguably the most important one.

Users don't have to be aware today that Apple cares about protecting their most personal details, and it's not a valid argument to say that if someone uses social media that they're OK with having their most personal habits with Apple products sold and shared to countless other vendors. The point is they do it, and its often these intangibles (or unknowables) that give a company a great reputation without the customer even realizing that is why are choosing that company's products over a competitor.

I know people that will tell you that Apple makes an overall better product than someone else, but they won't be able to express in words the specifics of why they feel or know that to be true… and there's nothing wrong with that.
    edited December 2016 realjustinlongpalomine
  • Reply 32 of 96
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

Even if you choose to give up all kinds of personal information by using that horrible Facebook and other apps, if you occasionally or regularly use Apple Pay, the security matters.
    realjustinlongbaconstangpalomine
  • Reply 33 of 96
    AppleBum said:
    Yes, and I miss the Heathkit catalog!
  • Reply 34 of 96
    On the privacy front, keep in mind that patient health information is protected by law, so at least some people could view access to HealthKit-type information to be protected in some way as well. Certainly, medical research based on that data is ethically and legally required to be reviewed for patient safety and consent.
    tmaybaconstang
  • Reply 35 of 96
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I would hardly call taking a position on issues a crusade. Weirdly we seem to be entering a time when coporations are standing as barriers to abuse, hate and racism more so than our government.  People who work for large multinationals get fired for making racist or hate comments either on social media or in the office.  That will continue and might even increase in frequency because corporations don't want the bad publicity.  Pretty much every large corporation has language in their employee handbook regarding such speech or behavior.
    Soliking editor the gratedysamoriabaconstangargonaut
  • Reply 36 of 96
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    Wow that's sad to hear. 
    I would love to know why she left.

My opinion is that the health technologies path is the right path for Apple. It fits perfect with its devices and services. A way more important way to use their mountains of money on than a car or VR.
    Everyone needs health services and the data and solutions would give Apple the revenue avenue stability that Wall St. punishes Apple for. They need not be so "new gadget" demand dependent.

i know the health industry is a red tape and regulatory and political hell, but who but a company with the funds like Apple can be as positioned to go there? I hope they have the real "courage" to go there.
    edited December 2016 tmayGeorgeBMacdysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 37 of 96
    welshdog said:
    I would hardly call taking a position on issues a crusade. Weirdly we seem to be entering a time when coporations are standing as barriers to abuse, hate and racism more so than our government.  People who work for large multinationals get fired for making racist or hate comments either on social media or in the office.  That will continue and might even increase in frequency because corporations don't want the bad publicity.  Pretty much every large corporation has language in their employee handbook regarding such speech or behavior.
    While it's heartening to see companies acting so much better than 100-150 years ago, it's also scary to muse that we may be headed to an era of our speech being controlled by them. Whee!
  • Reply 38 of 96
    She could be leaving because she is tired of working all the time and wants a life. Maybe, after her career that's listed, she wants to focus on her own project or a family member needs care or...just about anything that strikes adults in their 40 and 50's. Putting in more years for whatever overlord you are with isn't ALWAYS the first choice, especially if one has a choice. Or maybe she dislikes what she is doing, or got an offer to work on something she always wanted to do. I love how the bubble of 'unknown' gets filled with malarky so quickly.
    qwweraking editor the gratesnype719dysamoriabaconstangargonaut
  • Reply 39 of 96
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    2old4fun said:
    AppleBum said:
    Yes, and I miss the Heathkit catalog!
    I buikt the Heathkit alarm clock. I know that's a simple thing relatively but I was a kid and I'm still proud of it.
    randominternetpersonGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 40 of 96
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    Soli said:

Honest Question: How would you prevent that?

Use a text to text translator to convert sog35's rants to Sanskrit. He still gets to rant, but unless you are one of the few studying ancient language, no one understands what he says. That pretty much is the current issue anyway.
    baconstangargonaut