Executive leading HealthKit, other software platforms leaves Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Dude has a long way to go to become another "tallest...." that guy is mean.
    dysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 42 of 96
    spice-boy said:
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

why? Because of Tim Cook's dumb ass  privacy crusade she has one hand tied behind her back.

How the hell can she do here job if Cook refuses to use the data from hundreds of millions of Apple users?

Tim Cook needs to resign. His dumb ass social, policital, and privacy crusades are hurting the company.

Apple has 500 million of the most valuable customers on the planet. Yet Cook refuses to use the data from these customers to open more revenue streams.

Cook preaches privacy, yet Google is still the default search on iOS.
    Cook preaches privacy, yet 80-90% of iOS users use Facebook or Google or both.

Its beyond pathetic that Apple's competitors attack Apple's main revenue streams by bringing out hardware products.
    Yet Apple refuses to fight back with their own search, social, and AI platforms. 

If Cook had half a brain Apple would have developed and released a Google search competitor by now. Or a Facebook competitor. But because of Cooks dumb ass privacy crusade we see neither. And Amazon, Samsung, Microsoft, ect continue to make inroads into Apple's hardware business.

The day Apple uses my data for their profit is the day I quit using Apple products. If you want a major corporation to use your data please switch over to anything Google or Facebook. 
    Exactly. I don't want Apple stealing data on MY life. 

Thats THE reason I use Apple above all. 

I dont use Google at all. Not even for search as I don't want them making money from me which in turn funds their invasion of privacy further. 
    GeorgeBMacbaconstang
  • Reply 43 of 96
    Soli said:
    Every fucking thread gets ruined by Sog making some anti-Cook rant.
    I thoroughly disagree. They get ruined by people fucking reacting -- often overreacting -- to @sog35.

Honest Question: How would you prevent that?

I don't have a good answer to this question. My inclination, generally, is to let ideas flow, however unpleasant or annoying they may be.

However, a moderator could show an occasional light touch and say, "keep it on track and on topic, guys, or we will delete all the posts that we consider do not advance the discussion via-a-vis the topic at hand." And actually do it a couple of times (with a nice, bold statement at the top of the thread saying that you have done so). I believe it will almost always work. 
    dysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 44 of 96
    Mr. sog, You sound like a stalker. Do you really believe resorting to name-calling and other ugliness helps with getting your point across? I'm not Interesred in debating the whole profiting-from-privacy thing with you, but let me sure I have this right; if enough entities are profiting from doing a questionable thing then Apples should do it too?
    dysamoriabaconstang
  • Reply 45 of 96
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

why? Because of Tim Cook's dumb ass  privacy crusade she has one hand tied behind her back.

How the hell can she do here job if Cook refuses to use the data from hundreds of millions of Apple users?

Tim Cook needs to resign. His dumb ass social, policital, and privacy crusades are hurting the company.

Apple has 500 million of the most valuable customers on the planet. Yet Cook refuses to use the data from these customers to open more revenue streams.

Its beyond pathetic that Apple's competitors attack Apple's main revenue streams by bringing out hardware products.
    Yet Apple refuses to fight back with their own search, social, and AI platforms. 

If Cook had half a brain Apple would have developed and released a Google search competitor by now. Or a Facebook competitor. But because of Cooks dumb ass privacy crusade we see neither. And Amazon, Samsung, Microsoft, ect continue to make inroads into Apple's hardware business.
    Paid shill or unwell. You choose. 
  • Reply 46 of 96
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    spice-boy said:
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

The day Apple uses my data for their profit is the day I quit using Apple products. If you want a major corporation to use your data please switch over to anything Google or Facebook. 
    Don't be so hard on yourself. If don't use iphone than your choice is android which is even worse as far as sharing and privacy.
    qwweradysamoria
  • Reply 47 of 96
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    wood1208 said:
    spice-boy said:
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

Don't be so hard on yourself. If don't use iphone than your choice is android which is even worse as far as sharing and privacy.
    There has a be a way to use the data but keep the specific personal information  data points anonymous.
    There is so much that can be done with AI than face recognition or selling ads. I actually think that insurance companies or pharmaceutical companies would be the most concerned. I don't think they'd like anyone making sense of the costs or effectiveness of products or services. I would imagine they more than individuals should be the most  concerned.

There is so much that can be done with the medical information that it's such a shame to hear people with such paranoia and self importance when the data could possibly help them dramatically.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 48 of 96
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    AppleBum said:
    On a lighter note, are there any old fogies like me who read "HeathKit" everytime "HealthKit" is written?
    Yep, I was scratching my head why HeathKit was being discussed until I clicked the link and saw my error.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 49 of 96
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    sog35 said:
    spice-boy said:
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

And yet 80-90% of iOS users use Facebook or Google or both.

Close to 99% use Facebook or Google or Amazon or Netflix. All of these companies use your data.

No one cares. Especially not the majority of Apple customers.

The only one who cares is Tim Cook. 

please cite your sources for those statistics.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 50 of 96
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    sog35 said:
    spice-boy said:
    sog35 said:
    Do I blame her? 

HELL NO.

And yet 80-90% of iOS users use Facebook or Google or both.

Close to 99% use Facebook or Google or Amazon or Netflix. All of these companies use your data.

No one cares. Especially not the majority of Apple customers.

The only one who cares is Tim Cook. 
    spice-boy has a point. There is a trust between Apple and it's users that they will protect customer data. The moment that trust is gone, it will seriously hurt the brand. Your point about those same users use Facebook and Google is fair. I would liken it to people that will buy organic fruit and veggies, yet still eat junk food. They want to be healthy when they can, yet they are still weak on occasions. 

Personally, I hold back as much personal info from Facebook and Google that I can. I use throwaway email addresses and never give my birthday, etc. I would hope most people would follow suit, but they don't.

The point is, Apple's stance on privacy makes their brand more valuable and therefore sells them more product.
    baconstang
  • Reply 51 of 96
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I seriously doubt that privacy had any bearing on her leaving.

The ultra slow state of development of the capabilities of the Apple Watch probably had a lot more to do with it.

Apple initially marketed the watch with a focus on health - even pointing it as a tribute to Steve Jobs and the lessons they experienced from his illness.  But, when they failed to develop those capabilities, they switched to marketing it as a fashion accessory and tech trinket. 

Opening the watch to Nike and opening the watch's metrics to fitness apps was a good, but tentative, step towards making the watch a first class, top of the line fitness tracker.  But, so far, all they've done is open the door -- it's still a mediocre fitness tracker and most serious athletes do not even consider it.

And, as far as a health monitor/tracker, those capabilities have not even begun to be tapped.  The only health parameters it is capable of is heart rate and, not only are there many other cheaper heart rate trackers out there, but Cleveland Clinic tests showed that, at 90% accuracy it could not be relied on from a medical perspective.

So, to date, the Apple watch:
    -- Fulfilled its role as a fashion / tech accessory
    -- Opened the door to being a high quality fitness tracker
    -- Has totally failed as a health tracker

I can hear Steve Jobs calling:  "This is crap.   Fix It!"
    ....  Perhaps its time for some fresh blood with new ideas and initiatives?

p.s.  Tim Cook has his name on this and has devoted a lot of his personal time and reputation to it.  I have to believe that he is not happy that the watch has neither, so far, lived up to its potential nor his expectations.   I think I can hear even Tim Cook saying:   "This is crap.   Fix It!"

edited December 2016 dysamoriaasdasd
  • Reply 52 of 96
    sog35 said:
    I care. Together with Tim. 
    So then you don't do online banking?
    So then you don't do online shopping?
    So then you don't read articles on the internet?

All those websites collect your data. Just because Tim Cook says he stands for privacy does not mean you are in some protected bubble.

Frankly, Apple not collecting data is pathetic and archaic. Like a person who refuses to use a computer or go on the internet because of risks.
    Read articles on the internet - how are you reading this article, smoke signals...? Online banking can be very secure as can online shopping. The user takes the responsibility to use secure methods for this and if your bank or a site some how uses your data then thats between you and them. This has nothing to do with Google (although I don't trust them at all. Apple building and replacing Google Search just does not make sense (cents?). I should have ask this first: When you say use the data can you clarify "Cook refuses to use the data from hundreds of millions of Apple users?". Apple does use user data but they do it in a way that keeps it anonymous (e.g., using cellular signals for location if GPS not available).
    baconstang
  • Reply 53 of 96
    I seriously doubt that privacy had any bearing on her leaving.

The ultra slow state of development of the capabilities of the Apple Watch probably had a lot more to do with it.

Apple initially marketed the watch with a focus on health - even pointing it as a tribute to Steve Jobs and the lessons they experienced from his illness.  But, when they failed to develop those capabilities, they switched to marketing it as a fashion accessory and tech trinket. 

Opening the watch to Nike and opening the watch's metrics to fitness apps was a good, but tentative, step towards making the watch a first class, top of the line fitness tracker.  But, so far, all they've done is open the door -- it's still a mediocre fitness tracker and most serious athletes do not even consider it.

And, as far as a health monitor/tracker, those capabilities have not even begun to be tapped.  The only health parameters it is capable of is heart rate and, not only are there many other cheaper heart rate trackers out there, but Cleveland Clinic tests showed that, at 90% accuracy it could not be relied on from a medical perspective.

So, to date, the Apple watch:
    -- Fulfilled its role as a fashion / tech accessory
    -- Opened the door to being a high quality fitness tracker
    -- Has totally failed as a health tracker

Is that fair?  As I understand it, to be sold as a health tracker the device/software are subject to review and approval by federal agencies -- that are costly in both $ and time (months or years).  Isn't it better to get the AppleWatch platform out there so that Apple and 3rd-party developers can exploit its capabilities over time?

watchOS (with it's APIs), HealthKit  and Swift language support are major commitments by Apple -- over time we should expect many health solutions.

Here's a preso from WWDC 2016:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/209/

From the preso, heres a shot of Standard, secure health record access through iOS HealthKit APIs:

I can hear Steve Jobs calling:  "This is crap.   Fix It!"
    ....  Perhaps its time for some fresh blood with new ideas and initiatives?

p.s.  Tim Cook has his name on this and has devoted a lot of his personal time and reputation to it.  I have to believe that he is not happy that the watch has neither, so far, lived up to its potential nor his expectations.   I think I can hear even Tim Cook saying:   "This is crap.   Fix It!"

From what I've read, Tim's style is very different than Steve's.  Likely, Tim would ask the manager of the product to explain what the issues are, and the recommended actions.  If not satisfied, Tim would just stare at the manager and say nothing (volumes in the stare) -- like your mom did when you were a kid.

I've faced Steve's ire -- trust me, mom did it better!

edited December 2016 GeorgeBMacargonaut
  • Reply 54 of 96
    Well she is an amazing woman. She's a rare person who's accomplished much while keeping her moral compass true. 

She also was was diagnosed with a life threatening illness a year ago and left Nest in order to address that and he with her family. Good priorities. 

just hope that her decision to leave Apple wasn't due to a recurrence of that illness. 

If it for any other reason, that's ok. There are differences. That's normal. But my prayers go out to her and family that all is well on the health front. 
    baconstangmacplusplusargonaut
  • Reply 55 of 96
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    To all the people freaked out about "privacy", seriously, what has Google or Facebook done that is so worrisome?  They collect information to help give you more of what you want. How is that bad?  I see people on forums screaming bloody murder over Google "stealing" their private info, and I just have to laugh at the histrionics.  I see no evidence of Google or Facebook doing anything other than providing more focused and relevant information to their users. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 56 of 96
    qwwera said:
    Wow that's sad to hear. 
    I would love to know why she left.

My opinion is that the health technologies path is the right path for Apple. It fits perfect with its devices and services. A way more important way to use their mountains of money on than a car or VR.
    Everyone needs health services and the data and solutions would give Apple the revenue avenue stability that Wall St. punishes Apple for. They need not be so "new gadget" demand dependent.

i know the health industry is a red tape and regulatory and political hell, but who but a company with the funds like Apple can be as positioned to go there? I hope they have the real "courage" to go there.
    Totally agree.  This is a MAJOR growth area for Apple, and a contribution to life in a significant way.
    qwwera
  • Reply 57 of 96
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    robbyx said:
    To all the people freaked out about "privacy", seriously, what has Google or Facebook done that is so worrisome?  They collect information to help give you more of what you want. How is that bad?  I see people on forums screaming bloody murder over Google "stealing" their private info, and I just have to laugh at the histrionics.  I see no evidence of Google or Facebook doing anything other than providing more focused and relevant information to their users. 
    Google was fined for stealing browser information from Safari, even when users had specified that the could not use that data.  They took advantage of a big in Safari. That is pretty damn low. 
    dysamoriabaconstangStrangeDays
  • Reply 58 of 96
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Soli said:
    Every fucking thread gets ruined by Sog making some anti-Cook rant.
    Then there are the other couple of sociopaths that make Sog look cuddly...
    Solibaconstangtaniwha
  • Reply 59 of 96
    GBannis said:
    On the privacy front, keep in mind that patient health information is protected by law, so at least some people could view access to HealthKit-type information to be protected in some way as well. Certainly, medical research based on that data is ethically and legally required to be reviewed for patient safety and consent.
    It's protected by law up to the point where someone comes along and says "we need all of your records, here's our homeland security badge, and no, we don't have to justify our inquiry to you under law".
    taniwha
  • Reply 60 of 96
    williamh said:
    2old4fun said:
    AppleBum said:
    On a lighter note, are there any old fogies like me who read "HeathKit" everytime "HealthKit" is written?
    Yes, and I miss the Heathkit catalog!
    I buikt the Heathkit alarm clock. I know that's a simple thing relatively but I was a kid and I'm still proud of it.
    I tried to convince my parents to let me spend college money on the robot kit. I'm glad they were wiser than me on that subject (that's not to say that college wasn't utter shit for me).