Oppenheimer: Apple 'lacks the courage to lead the next generation of innovation'

Comments

• Reply 141 of 200
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    "We believe..."

People believed the year 2000 would shut everything down.
    People believed Segways were gonna be cool.
    People believed Hillary would win.
    jas99brucemc
  • Reply 142 of 200
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The Macalope dealt with this whole Uerkwitz malaise thing last week.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3144508/ios/coming-to-their-senses-it-s-always-just-over-the-horizon.html
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 143 of 200
    jungmark said:
    My personal information is not for sale. 

How's it going to bite them in the ass?
    There's only so much money to be made off of hardware which is where apple makes its money. People are keeping their phones for longer, they are seeing fewer reasons to upgrade. Apple has way too much riding on the iphone and they don't really have anything else to keep it afloat. Granted they have plenty of money, but as time marches on the apps/services on a smartphone are becoming more important (and possibly more profitable) than the phone itself. 
  • Reply 144 of 200
    As much bitching on this forum about apple not innovating. Have any of you guys even tried one of these windows computers. They are still total garbage. Apple is still miles ahead.
    jas99anantksundaram
  • Reply 145 of 200
    Apple forgot how to STAY HUNGRY.
  • Reply 146 of 200
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    k2kw said:
    securtis said:
    The biggest tech advancements in the last 10 years have been 1. smartphones 2. social media. 3. will be delivering services based on data already gathered with AI. Apple nailed #1, missed #2 and google/amazon are fixing to take #3. Apple's avoidance of cataloging personal data and preferences is going to end up biting them. Siri just isn't good enough to catch up. I think 10 yrs ago at the beginning of the smartphone era, avoiding data collection was a selling point for iphone, but now it'll be a liability. Hell, they should pay iphone users to give up some of their data. They have more than enough money to do so. 
    No way Apple will try to come out with a Echo/Google home competitor -  Siri is so bad most of the time that it would be embarrassing.

I'm wondering if Amazon will take another stab at a phone.   An Alexa phone now that Google has their Google Home and Pixal products.
    Never say never

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-23/apple-said-to-step-up-plans-for-echo-style-smart-home-device-itfnod11
  • Reply 147 of 200
    sector7g said:
    As much bitching on this forum about apple not innovating. Have any of you guys even tried one of these windows computers. They are still total garbage. Apple is still miles ahead.
    Seems to be much love for MS' Surface products. Read this post by a well-respected video producer that has nearly transitioned all his gear from Mac to Windows

http://walterbiscardi.com/2016-year-everything-changed/

this is from a photography professional that was testing out the new 15" MBP (Touch Bar) but decided to return because he felt it didn't over him enough value compared to his 2013 15" MBP

https://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2016/20161201_1012-Apple2016MacBookPro-going-back.html

There's love and hate on both sides of the fence
    edited December 2016 singularity
  • Reply 148 of 200
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Jony Ive has turned into the Ronda Rousey of industrial designers, a spokesperson whose voiceovers are widely mocked and ridiculed. Tim Cook enabled his downfall, enriched Jimmy Iovine for no apparent reason, and failed to deliver an updated iPhone 7 when everyone and their grandmother was expecting it. Oh, and BTW, whatever happened to Anand Shimpi? Another talented soul who got lost in Tim Cook's black hole.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 149 of 200
    For the love of god can someone PLEASE tell my what is supposed to be wrong with Siri VS the competition? I have tried all of the solutions and I hardly notice any difference. Sure Google can tell me how long it will take me to go somewhere at any given point in my timetable because it KNOWS every minute detail about me but speech wise it does pretty much the same as Siri.

- Never had issues with making reminders, timers, appointments, calls, messages.
    - Never had issues with asking for directions, the weather, general trivia.
    - Never had issues with controlling media on iOS in general.

I always hear an abundant amount of complaints how Siri supposedly is a terrible product when compared to the competition but never hear justifications on how or why.
    Does Siri really need more of your personal information? What for? How will it help?
    jas99StrangeDayscanukstormmacplusplusbrucemc
  • Reply 150 of 200
    jas99jas99 Posts: 150member
    Donvermo said:
    For the love of god can someone PLEASE tell my what is supposed to be wrong with Siri VS the competition? I have tried all of the solutions and I hardly notice any difference. Sure Google can tell me how long it will take me to go somewhere at any given point in my timetable because it KNOWS every minute detail about me but speech wise it does pretty much the same as Siri.

- Never had issues with making reminders, timers, appointments, calls, messages.
    - Never had issues with asking for directions, the weather, general trivia.
    - Never had issues with controlling media on iOS in general.

I always hear an abundant amount of complaints how Siri supposedly is a terrible product when compared to the competition but never hear justifications on how or why.
    Does Siri really need more of your personal information? What for? How will it help?
    THIS^^^^^
  • Reply 151 of 200
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Apple has redefined they're power users as Kardashians and fashionistas... from developers and digital creatives... they've modified their view of courage from bold, well designed and executed products in categories you didn't think of into today's courage of removing a port or "jet black"... it maps their power users... from the courage of "we want to change the world through code and design" into the courage to "wear a nail polish color you'd never think to"
  • Reply 152 of 200
    sector7g said:
    Absolutely. Couldn't agree more. Apple is SO FAR AHEAD in the personal computer realm there isn't even real competition. It's reached the point of idiocy to buy a windoze machine or worse yet one of those toy chrome-thingys to do any real work.
    I speak from the experience of trying to do work in a corporate environment for decades. Finally I said enough and started providing my own devices at work. I started using my Mac at work. I bought a 34" monitor for work (THAT blew some minds - especially the minds of those who didn't know anything like that existed). And every day I enjoy the utility of a trackpad that actually works. I enjoy the utility of multiple spaces - so I essentially have 7 or more different screens / working areas at my disposal. I have the stability of software (except anything made by Microsoft).
    Apple's computing solutions are not perfect - nothing is. But they are very close to it and simply far, far and away superior to the crap offered by the wintel world.
    StrangeDaysdysamoria
  • Reply 153 of 200
    aderutter said:
    Whilst Apple products are still streets ahead of the competitor "alternatives" I do feel they are losing their polish somewhat and sw is becoming too complex. Apple need to simplify products so they feel magical not technical.

I have to say I increasingly run into people who don't know about even some of the most basic features of their iPhone or Apple Watch. For instance, someone didn't know they could issue voice commands to their watch. Whaaaat????? There was someone who didn't know you could alter the way mail messages were displayed on their iPhone. That's a normal part of any new and powerful tool's use - users taking time to learn about them.
    All I know is I see a lot of very patient Geniuses at Apple Stores informing people about basic features that exist on their devices.
  • Reply 154 of 200
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    kamilton said:
    macOS and iOS, Watch and TV OSs are beautifully poised for incredible explosions in new directions.  AI and Augmented innovations are also ripe.  I still think we'll see a whole new era of innovation in 2017.  The chess pieces are almost in position. God, all this R&D must be in pursuit of big things.  Tim is many things, but he doesn't seem like a good liar.  I don't think he's bluffing.

That said, if we don't see at least one new product home run by Sept 2018, then we have a demonstrated post-Jobs decline and Cook will get a vote of no confidence from investors.  Be out by then.

Cook should have canned one or two executives by now starting with who ever is incharge of SIRI development (a real embarrassment) and Eddy Que.   Despite having many more employees the don't seem to have more executives and leaders who can push more development in parallel.   Who are the future leaders in design and development for Apple?  No product should languish more than two years without an update - most should be updated yearly.
    avon b7
  • Reply 155 of 200
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    k2kw said:
    securtis said:
    The biggest tech advancements in the last 10 years have been 1. smartphones 2. social media. 3. will be delivering services based on data already gathered with AI. Apple nailed #1, missed #2 and google/amazon are fixing to take #3. Apple's avoidance of cataloging personal data and preferences is going to end up biting them. Siri just isn't good enough to catch up. I think 10 yrs ago at the beginning of the smartphone era, avoiding data collection was a selling point for iphone, but now it'll be a liability. Hell, they should pay iphone users to give up some of their data. They have more than enough money to do so. 
    No way Apple will try to come out with a Echo/Google home competitor -  Siri is so bad most of the time that it would be embarrassing.

I'm wondering if Amazon will take another stab at a phone.   An Alexa phone now that Google has their Google Home and Pixal products.
    Never say never

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-23/apple-said-to-step-up-plans-for-echo-style-smart-home-device-itfnod11
    Every few months there seems to be a new story like this.  At this point I think it's all vapor wear.  Maybe something like this will show up in 2018 but I'm not holding my breadth.
  • Reply 156 of 200
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mj web said:
    Jony Ive has turned into the Ronda Rousey of industrial designers, a spokesperson whose voiceovers are widely mocked and ridiculed. Tim Cook enabled his downfall, enriched Jimmy Iovine for no apparent reason, and failed to deliver an updated iPhone 7 when everyone and their grandmother was expecting it. 
    The 7 was updated. Of you meant design and not features. So everyone would be excited if the 7 had a new design but has the 6S features? 

Why arent people complaing this this way about cars? 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 157 of 200
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    mj web said:
    Jony Ive has turned into the Ronda Rousey of industrial designers, a spokesperson whose voiceovers are widely mocked and ridiculed. Tim Cook enabled his downfall, enriched Jimmy Iovine for no apparent reason, and failed to deliver an updated iPhone 7 when everyone and their grandmother was expecting it. Oh, and BTW, whatever happened to Anand Shimpi? Another talented soul who got lost in Tim Cook's black hole.
    Nice story, bro. You ever think about writing novels?
  • Reply 158 of 200
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    aknabi said:
    Apple has redefined they're power users as Kardashians and fashionistas... from developers and digital creatives... they've modified their view of courage from bold, well designed and executed products in categories you didn't think of into today's courage of removing a port or "jet black"... it maps their power users... from the courage of "we want to change the world through code and design" into the courage to "wear a nail polish color you'd never think to"
    Stupidest sentiment I've read all week. I'm a software developer using  rMBP and think they're great. My iPhone 7 (in Jet Black) is certainly the finest smartphone I've ever seen. Wireless and Lightning headphones are great. I doubt you even own one. 

-1 for using the cliche nonsense word fashionista -- instant flag for get-off-my-lawyer. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 159 of 200
    k2kw said:
    k2kw said:
    securtis said:

Never say never

Every few months there seems to be a new story like this.  At this point I think it's all vapor wear.  Maybe something like this will show up in 2018 but I'm not holding my breadth.
    Actually, this is the first and only story related to this topic, that I've seen and read.
  • Reply 160 of 200
    jas99 said:
    aderutter said:
    Whilst Apple products are still streets ahead of the competitor "alternatives" I do feel they are losing their polish somewhat and sw is becoming too complex. Apple need to simplify products so they feel magical not technical.

I have to say I increasingly run into people who don't know about even some of the most basic features of their iPhone or Apple Watch. For instance, someone didn't know they could issue voice commands to their watch. Whaaaat????? There was someone who didn't know you could alter the way mail messages were displayed on their iPhone. That's a normal part of any new and powerful tool's use - users taking time to learn about them.
    All I know is I see a lot of very patient Geniuses at Apple Stores informing people about basic features that exist on their devices.
    I'm an Apple Developer and have been an Apple user for 38 years.

IMO, iOS is a treasure-trove of capabilities -- but it has become much too complicated for the non-tech user to uncover these treasures -- you have to know where things are, and what the designer calls them.  It is totally non-intuitive.  There has to be a better way -- maybe Siri could be used to [contextually aware] suggest/ask to help the user navigate and setup iOS.