Apple scrubs VP of Special Projects Paul Deneve's bio page from website [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
Apple this week removed Apple VP of Special Projects Paul Deneve's bio from its Apple Leadership webpage, suggesting the executive has changed roles or is no longer with the company.

Paul Deneve's Apple bio prior to removal.

Prior to the change, Deneve's headshot was one of only 19 featured prominently on the Executive Profiles page of Apple's press information mini-site. The link to his bio is now inactive and forwards to a generic landing page reading "The page you're looking for can't be found."

Whether Deneve stepped down, changed positions or is no longer affiliated with Apple is unclear. According to his LinkedIn profile, Deneve is still serving as an Apple vice president, though information from the business-oriented social network is circumstantial at best.

Deneve began his professional career as a European marketing and sales manager at Apple in 1990. He made a move to the world of fashion by serving as managing director at Courreges in 1997, then president of Nina Ricci and Lanvin in 2003 and 2006, respectively.

Before returning to Apple in 2013 to head up "special projects" under CEO Tim Cook, Deneve held the position of CEO at French label Yves Saint Laurent, now known as Saint Laurent.

Upon his return, Deneve applied lessons learned from the fashion industry to marketing Apple's first wearable device, the Apple Watch. Last year, for example, the executive helped create a large floral-themed installation that took up all 24 windows at storied London department store Selfridges.

Update: Follow-up reports claim Deneve is still with Apple, but no longer reports to CEO Tim Cook.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Apparently he's still with the company but reports to Jeff Williams now, not Tim Cook.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 2 of 14
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Apparently he's still with the company but reports to Jeff Williams now, not Tim Cook.
    where did you read that?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    where did you read that?
    Tim Bradshaw from the Financial Times tweeted it.
    stantheman
  • Reply 4 of 14
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member

That is not a promotion. It sounds like he was getting a lot of money for not a lot of results. The Apple Watch seems to be doing fine but the high fashion aspect seems to have been a failure.
    perkedel
  • Reply 5 of 14
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Guess someone told Cook that the former fashion labels Deneve worked for aren't bling-bling enough for the new Apple power users (e.g. Kardashians and their wannabes)... Kayne aint' rappin' about YSL, Ricci, Lavin... it's all about the Gucci, LV, Prada (and if you're older Hermes or Cartier).

I'm sure for shareholders the path down luxury brand lane will be good for short term, high margin profits... but eventually that crowd moves on when you're no longer cool... and given they're clear slowdown in genuine innovation in product categories, IxD and ID they'll be paying a price down the road... They'll be the Versace of tech.
    calidysamoria
  • Reply 6 of 14
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    aknabi said:
    Guess someone told Cook that the former fashion labels Deneve worked for aren't bling-bling enough for the new Apple power users (e.g. Kardashians and their wannabes)... Kayne aint' rappin' about YSL, Ricci, Lavin... it's all about the Gucci, LV, Prada (and if you're older Hermes or Cartier).

I'm sure for shareholders the path down luxury brand lane will be good for short term, high margin profits... but eventually that crowd moves on when you're no longer cool... and given they're clear slowdown in genuine innovation in product categories, IxD and ID they'll be paying a price down the road... They'll be the Versace of tech.
    Burberry?

Apple Watch is doing fine as far as fashion goes but I still agree with your point as it could be doing a lot better.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    williamh said:

That is not a promotion. It sounds like he was getting a lot of money for not a lot of results. The Apple Watch seems to be doing fine but the high fashion aspect seems to have been a failure.
    Who said anything about a promotion? All I reported is he's still with the company. 
  • Reply 8 of 14
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    williamh said:

Who said anything about a promotion? All I reported is he's still with the company. 
    No one.  That seems to have been meant as a commentary on the change itself, not a direct response to you.  At least that is how it came across to me. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    where did you read that?
    Tim Bradshaw from the Financial Times tweeted it.
    Thanks
  • Reply 10 of 14
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    aknabi said:

Define "genuine innovation", please. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    He never existed (waves hand in Jedi mind trick fashion)...
  • Reply 12 of 14
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    It might imply that the special project he was working on has now advanced to the stage where it'll be produced, and so it's been assigned to the Apple Watch team (with Deneve moving with it to that team).  Stay tuned...
    edited December 2016 palominenubus
  • Reply 13 of 14
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Demoted? 
  • Reply 14 of 14
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    aknabi said:

Define "genuine innovation", please. 
     for sure the Mac, iPhone, iPad at intro are shinning examples... The Amazon Echo is one case... had Apple been on the ball that that experience (via Siri with built in Apple skills such as home kit tie-in) would have been in Apple TV.

Had Apple made a solid eco-system around the new MBP (e.g. a dock or display that acted like a doc) that possibly also was an "intelligent hub" that would be another example... there's plenty they could do with their existing eco-system with forward thinking on the user experience side and some solid code crafting.

Another (though rather boring) innovation Apple has let slip is having things "just work"... as a long time Apple developer and user you can see/feel/experience the bit-rot in (mac/i)OS... most I'm seeing issues we used to laugh at Windows for (and don't know how long time Apple fans can suggest back up and reinstall the OS with a straight face). Even in the SDK I'm seeing side effects and clunky-ness that wouldn't have passed muster several years ago.

They could either open up Siri or get their act together on cloud services to create some compelling solutions (why can't I ask Siri "Show me airfares to London leaving next Monday coming back Thursday?"... they could have a solution based on something like Alexa Skills, with a approval process to allow Kayak or others to fill in the gaps).

And there is a way to get macOS/iOS to converge (there could be convergence in the iPad Pro and MacBook to make a truly wonderful device... yes it's work, but you can see the glimmer of it through the haze).

All it would take is courage (vs. "courage").