Apple blames iPhone 6s battery problems on air exposure during manufacturing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    SinisnearSinisnear Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    My iPhone 6 does this exact same thing.  It'll turn off around 30% and if I plug it in, it jumps to 50% and if I unplug it, it quickly drops again.
    johnbearargonaut
  • Reply 22 of 32
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Prichsadams said:
    My wife's 6s qualifies for the replacement battery however it's never shut down unexpectedly. 

Part of me thinks a new battery would be good to have; preventative maintenance should it develop problems later. But another part of me thinks "if it ain't broke...". 

Hmmmm...
    Pro
    gram I believe is for a 3 year period from the time of recall announcement.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    tzeshan said:
    My wife's 6s qualifies for the replacement battery however it's never shut down unexpectedly. 

Part of me thinks a new battery would be good to have; preventative maintenance should it develop problems later. But another part of me thinks "if it ain't broke...". 

Hmmmm...
    I would wait until it happens.  
    I went to the Apple Store in Germantown, TN last Monday after reading on AI about the 6s battery replacement program. The battery was replaced within 2 hours. 
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    I scheduled an appointment last Saturday to take my Son and Wife's iPhone in to see if they qualified, sure enough they both qualified, unfortunately they were out of batteries. The Genius, Rusty said that he would just go ahead and replace both iPhones. Thanks Rusty and Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    they always cut corners trying to save as much money as possible. this of the TSMC vs Samy chip fiasco in the iPhone 6S. Shame on them
  • Reply 26 of 32
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Hmmmm...
    Same here. My phone has not shutdown on it's own ever, so I don't want to do anything yet.  I feel battery repalcement is somewhat traumatic to the overall structual integrity of the phone.  If the phone gives me a good reason, then I'll make the replacement.
  • Reply 27 of 32

Hmmmm...
    Do you live in a cold climate area? My phone would only shut down if the temperature dropped below 2ºC. They replaced my battery a year after my first complaint. I'm hoping this winter will bring better luck.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    My 6S had been shutting down a lot. At first I thought it was due to cold weather but it started happening on warmer days. The battery would be at 30-40% and the phone would shut down. I'd plug in to recharge and the battery level would still be at 30-40%. My iPhone  qualified for a new battery. I went to the Apple Store and they changed the battery in a couple of hours. The new battery is good, no issues yet. Great customer service. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    eriamjh said:
    or a moron opening a door at the into a room at the wrong time. 
    It's also possible a perfectly competent and intelligent person made an honest mistake.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    macxpress said:
    macxpress said:
    Well at least Apple can figure out their issue. Samsung on the other hand...well they have no clue what happened, or why it happened.

Or they know exactly what happened, but aren't saying because of embarrassment.  
    Like someone else said though...then why would they release a replacement phone that did the same thing? Or did they figure it out after the second failure but didn't want to say and just recalled the phones to cover it up. I guess maybe it was easier to coverup the issue by buying back all of the phones versus explaining what happened. Either way, it looks really bad on them. If they have a major issue and can't figure it out that doesn't put a lot of confidence in me for buying their products. They're selling products they can't fix. 
    I think they genuinely didn't know first time round and quickly assumed it was the certain type of battery so swapped em out and returned them to customers. 2nd time they actually had to investigate - which they should've done first time, but gambled and chose not to.

The best and most plausible explanation I've seen so far on the interwebs is that the battery compartment was simply too small for the battery, by less than a mm, but given a battery's tendency to expand during heavy use/charging, the overly tight constraints was a recipe for disaster.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    eriamjh said:
    williamh said:
    wood1208 said:
    It's not blame but science behind it. Have you seen clean room control policy and restrictions ? If you screw-up exposing those facilities than expect some short of issues in products. Whether you manufacture chips or TV in China/Taiwan, strict policy must be adopted/enforced for clean room facility.
    Are batteries assembled in clean rooms?  I thought that was for the CPUs, RAM, and other integrated circuit stuff.
    This isn't a clean room thing as much as it is a molecular contamination of the li-ion battery chemistry.  Very VERY specific environments are required for handling the compounds related to manufacturing LI-ion batteries.  

The "exposure to air" could be anything from a container left unsealed too long between batches, shifts, etc. or a moron opening a door at the into a room at the wrong time.  It's a quality control  issue, ultimately.

The batteries are defective.  Their capacities are probably greatly reduced.  The cell voltage drops off so fast the phone can't calculate the remaining life before the phone just shuts down.  
    Never considered the capacity was reduced also - that would explain a lot for us also. I've never managed a battery to last an entire day, even with little to no use I have to charge by 6/7pm. To the point where I've had several battery-cases to get some decent usage out of my 6S - for months people told me I was doing something wrong, "the iphone has great battery", "I get through a day no bother" etc. well hopefully once I get the replacement I'll experience this wonderful day-long battery as I should have for the past year and more.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    I dealt with my 6S (acquired through yearly-upgrade-program Nov 2015) for months.

Fought with an apple store manager pre-problem-announcment to no avail.

It got so bad that the battery life was effectively 1-minute or seconds, even while showing "100%".  I just kept a cable on-hand at all times.

At a different store while turning it in for a 7 (yearly replacement), I typed in the serial number and it DIDN'T qualify for a replacement.

Ugh.

Have 7 now, hoping for a better experience.

Was disappointed that the managers of two different apple stores couldn't seem to do more than read from the customer-service-script.  Shouldn't they be empowered to "make things right" if they're convinced the customers concerns are genuine?