Burglars ram SUV into Palo Alto Apple store in smash-and-grab raid

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    JBSlough said:
    Since when is a Kia Soul an SUV??

Are you suggesting that SUVs are more likely to commit crimes than compact cars?  If so, come out and say so rather than hiding behind car-ist weasel words. 

j/k

Yeah, I had the same reaction.  If that's an SUV then SUVs have come a LONG way (down) from Land Rovers, Jeeps, and Suburbans.

• Reply 22 of 35
    Soli said:

Is there no low to which Samsung will not sink?¡
    Funny! :)
    ai46watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 35
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    JBSlough said:
    Since when is a Kia Soul an SUV??

Are you suggesting that SUVs are more likely to commit crimes than compact cars?  If so, come out and say so rather than hiding behind car-ist weasel words. 

j/k

Yeah, I had the same reaction.  If that's an SUV then SUVs have come a LONG way (down) from Land Rovers, Jeeps, and Suburbans.

Apple need to reinvent cars quickly so that cars will never crash into an Apple Store.  
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 35
    I wonder why Apple doesn't build 2 ft high steel bollards/posts 3ft apart, outside, 2ft from the glass... It would make ramming the storefront that much more of a deterrent.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Strange that nobody drives and smashes Starbucks coffee shop and steal their coffee which is ridiculously expensive.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Strange that nobody drives and smashes Starbucks coffee shop and steal their coffee which is ridiculously expensive.
    These teens don't drink coffee.  This is one reason I can think of. 
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    I assume there's also little resale value in stolen coffee.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 35
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I'd think that a laminate glass that wouldn't shatter would be useful in this situation. I wonder if that's too costly to warrant the expense, and with insurance and media coverage of these incidents it might be financially advantageous to not use overly expensive glass that will need to be replaced but will keep would-be thieves from entering the building. I wonder if there are building codes that require that glass be accessible by emergency services.

Police found the Kia Soul on the sidewalk with major damage, and a shattered hole in the store's glass facade. After setting up a perimeter officers located a Hyundai Sonata in an alley half a block away, with Macs and iPhones littered both inside and outside of the vehicle.
    Is there no low to which Samsung will not sink?¡

I doubt there are such building codes for allowing walls and doors to be emergency-services smashable.  After all the walls and doors could constructed like a bank vault if desired.
    I'm just throwing out reasons—besides cost—for not using a solution that would keep the vehicle from being abel to make a hole in which they could enter. I do think cost is the most likely reason for not making it more thief-proof.

Bollards are expensive but I can't imagine the installation of these will impact the cost of an Apple Store refurbishment significantly. Perhaps local code prohibits the use of bollards in some areas. Is this a photo from the store that was broken in to? There are bollards.
    Soli
  • Reply 29 of 35
    macmcapplemacmcapple Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    Since when is a Kia Soul an SUV??? They're little tiny hatchback cars. I feel like AppleInsider over exaggerates most of their titles these days.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Since when is a Kia Soul an SUV??? They're little tiny hatchback cars. I feel like AppleInsider over exaggerates most of their titles these days.

That "SUV" characterization (and 98% of the IA article) was straight from the original story. 
    macmcapple
  • Reply 31 of 35
    sog35 said:
    bobroo said:
    sog35 said:
    bobroo said:
    dysamoria said:
    bobroo said:
    Why doesn't Dr Dre speak out against this?

He is an Apple employee right?

What sense does that make in your mind?
    Well, what has Dr Dre done for the past 3 years? Ya' know, to improve the Beats brand, make the Beats products better, or make Beats more popular? Nuth'in.

So, why shouldn't we have him reach out? Make a statement? Write a song? Oppose this type of dangerous crime?

Or....maybe Dr Dre can help out Jony with next years Christmas tree side job???

Apple bought Beats brand not Dr Dre the person.

He is under no obligation to do what you want his to do. 

Dr Dre has donated TENS OF MILLIONS to charities and community projects. 
    It is my impression that the purchase of Beats included Jimmy Iovine and Dr Dre; and that today they are in one form or another employees. Perhaps there is a directory in the vestibule of the new spaceship that would indicate their office number???

Even if that is not the case, part of the goodwill that was purchased includes Dr Dre's work. Dr Dres past directly addresses the gansta' lifestyle the occupants of this smash and grab are living when they were "ride'n dirty".

Not to go all throwback on you, but I think everyone should give a quick listen to Dr Dre's hit song with NWA, "Fuck the Police". That song encompasses a lot of what is being discussed here.

If you have a subscription to Apple Music, I'm guessing you can hear it ( and other NWA songs) for free,

You seriously think you can buy a person?

Like I said before Dr Dre has donated tens of millions to help disadvantaged youths. That is much more valuable than some speech that is empty words.

I'm not against Dr Dre speaking out against crime, but to expect him to do so every time a small crime is perpetrated is nuts.

Apple did not buy Beats for Dr Dre to be a community advocate. They bought a business line that makes profits.
    I'm surprised Sog that we are so far apart on this one.

I maintain that Beats by Dr Dre is a brand. That brand includes the work, history, and persona of what Andre Young put into it to get it to be worth $3 BILLION dollars. And when Apple bought it they received not only the headphones and portable speakers but also the gangsta' rapper character attached to it. What parts of Beats by Dr Dre are used is all up to Tim and Jony.

I'm forecasting a lot of protesting in this country starting about this upcoming March and escalating all summer long. Brush up on your disobedient protest music because you are about to hear a lot of it. And authors of that music, like Dr Dre and his NWA collaborators; are going to become living folk heroes. Not because of idle words, but words that continue to resonate.  
  • Reply 32 of 35
    paxman said:
    Bollards are expensive but I can't imagine the installation of these will impact the cost of an Apple Store refurbishment significantly. Perhaps local code prohibits the use of bollards in some areas. Is this a photo from the store that was broken in to? There are bollards.

Yes, originally the store was on the other side of the street (up a ways), then they moved here.  At first they used ugly orange and white traffic plastic and concrete barriers, but eventually had the bollards installed.

I'm guessing the SUV drove down the sidewalk, and then turned into the store windows.  I'm not sure what else the store could further do, except maybe get a special permit to place retractable bollards right up against the windows, but there's not much space there without blocking part of the sidewalk.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'm guessing the SUV drove down the sidewalk, and then turned into the store windows.
    I guess that explains why they used a narrow, little vehicle.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Sounds like someone's been watching too much trailer park boys. 
  • Reply 35 of 35
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,216member
    volcan said:
    I no real loss for Apple, except a day of downtime and perhaps even that is insured. The cost of insurance is simply a business expense that is passed on to the customers. So basically these thieves are costing us money in the form of increased insurance premiums to Apple.

Apple stores are known for the higher per-square-foot revenue of the retail industry. Every hour of closure is a big deal for them, This has been several days, not just one.

Do these criminals really think they will get away with it?