Tim Cook refutes negative IDC Apple Watch report, says early holiday sales set new record

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    First Phil Schiller refuting poor MacBook Pro sales, and now this!? Usually Apple stays silent, but now is outspoken? That means one thing, fear, weakness, doubt. The company is ripping itself apart. Longtime employees have been leaving and or are fired. Divisions are being shutdown. Quality is down, reliance on intel and other third party vendors CONTINUE to slow down and weaken Apple. third party vendors relationships with Apple have becomes strained and wearing down. You can very easily tell what products do well at Apple. Pro hint: the products that get regular and frequent updates and attention from Apple are the number one money makers. Right now that appears to be only services, and iPhone and tablets. Oh and soon Dongles! Tim Cook LOVES Dongles!
    avon b7
  • Reply 22 of 87
    asdasd said:
    Cooks use of the word sell through indicates that they may well have had a bad quarter last quarter. Sell through is sales from channel 
    Doesn't sell-though mean actual sales to consumers? And yeah the quarter before the holiday quarter when new watches were barely available might have been a weak quarter. So what? We all know that certain Apple products are more seasonal in nature and will have bigger sales during the holidays.
    calianantksundaramadamc
  • Reply 23 of 87
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    digitol said:
    First Phil Schiller refuting poor MacBook Pro sales, and now this!? Usually Apple stays silent, but now is outspoken? That means one thing, fear, weakness, doubt. The company is ripping itself apart. Longtime employees have been leaving and or are fired. Divisions are being shutdown. Quality is down, reliance on intel and other third party vendors CONTINUE to slow down and weaken Apple. third party vendors relationships with Apple have becomes strained and wearing down. You can very easily tell what products do well at Apple. Pro hint: the products that get regular and frequent updates and attention from Apple are the number one money makers. Right now that appears to be only services, and iPhone and tablets. Oh and soon Dongles! Tim Cook LOVES Dongles!
    You forgot the plague of locust. 

Apple doesn’t always stay silent when asked a direct question from either a journalist, or customer emailing one of their executives. In this case, Reuters asked if sales were doing badly, Apple responded by saying, 'Actually, no.' But they still didn't give out any sales figures. In fact, most of the time Apple does respond when it looks like people are too dumb to work out the answer for themselves.

edited December 2016 netmageStrangeDaysdelreyjoneswatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 87
    "Pro hint: the products that get regular and frequent updates and attention from Apple are the number one money makers. Right now that appears to be only services, and iPhone and tablets."

Well, this is so unfair, isn´t it? 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 25 of 87
    I assume IDC has some form of reasonably accurate retail sales metrics (if not, they shouldn't be in the business of writing notes such as this). Everything is relative and I'm sure watch sales are doing OK - we're talking about Apple products after all - but I don't think Watch sales are burning up and I agree with IDC that it's a competitive market. The fact that Cook felt the need to reply I think says more about his perceived personal status than about Apple. Really think it's time for fresh blood there.

Unsurprisingly, you assume wrong. IDC's method of forecasting is one step above casting bones into a cauldron.  The main criteria for any IDC prediction is to try and demonstrate that their previous prediction was accurate, so all you end up with is a series of inaccurate predictions. The worst thing that could happen to a research outfit like IDC is for people to find out that their historical data is incorrect; so they massage the numbers to preserve this illusion above everything else. 

Here, educate yourself:

http://fortune.com/2014/07/28/pc-sales-estimates-how-the-sausage-gets-made/

and then marvel at how no one mentions it when time is called on predictions like this:

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2504045/apple-ios/windows-phone-will-pass-iphone-by-2016--idc-says.html

NY1822calinetmagepatchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 87

adm1 said:
    I wonder if IDC et al ever have to backup or explain their figures when proved so wildly wrong. A company can be fined if it's falsely reported sales or earnings, I see this as no different as it manipulates the stock market based on lies.
    I imagine they have a multi-page disclaimer. Or they do what that 'well-connected' analyst fella does: when proved wrong, just find some bizarre reason like 'Apple changed their plans at the very last minute and decided not to release a phone with a 15-inch screen.'
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 87

ireland said:
    asdasd said:
    Cooks use of the word sell through indicates that they may well have had a bad quarter last quarter. Sell through is sales from channel 
    While this is true, do you see a sudden jump in sell through for a product that has existed for a few years for no reason. Cook wouldn't have commented on this unless he was confident. I know of someone who just bought one. People seem to like them. Especially since OS 3 and the new faster watches.
    Bought the Nike+ model a few weeks ago, and it continue to surprise me, though not as much when it let me take a phone call from my iPhone which was… well at the time I wasn't sure where it was, but I know it was in the house somewhere.

I think the problem you have with the Apple Watch is not that people dislike them (I mean, if you don't like it then just don't buy it), it's that people think that if they can somehow get it to fail then Apple will have no choice but to start focussing on Macs again. Yes, it's a long shot, but people aren't always that bright.
    2old4funjm6032Macsplosionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 87
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Rayz2016 said:

ireland said:
    asdasd said:
    While this is true, do you see a sudden jump in sell through for a product that has existed for a few years for no reason. Cook wouldn't have commented on this unless he was confident. I know of someone who just bought one. People seem to like them. Especially since OS 3 and the new faster watches.
    Bought the Nike+ model a few weeks ago, and it continue to surprise me, though not as much when it let me take a phone call from my iPhone which was… well at the time I wasn't sure where it was, but I know it was in the house somewhere.

I think the problem you have with the Apple Watch is not that people dislike them (I mean, if you don't like it then just don't buy it), it's that people think that if they can somehow get it to fail then Apple will have no choice but to start focussing on Macs again. Yes, it's a long shot, but people aren't always that bright.
    You just described half of MacRumors. The other half just want Apple itself to fail. Children.
    2old4funcaliRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 87
    I'd have to go with Tim on this. I live in Newfoundland and am really surprised how many apple watches I see out in th wild. I have series 2 and paired with the new watch OS,it's a fantastic device. I usually get 2.5+ Days out of the battery. The battery issue was never a problem for me anyway as it goes on the charger at night anyway. 
    badmonkadamcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 87
    Last night I visited Apple's first retail store, in Tysons, VA. There were many customers looking at iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro... but zero customers looking at Watch.

i love my Watch and use it daily, but Apple still needs to find a way to build broad enthusiasm for this category.
    cali
  • Reply 31 of 87
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    I'd have to go with Tim on this. I live in Newfoundland and am really surprised how many apple watches I see out in th wild. I have series 2 and paired with the new watch OS,it's a fantastic device. I usually get 2.5+ Days out of the battery. The battery issue was never a problem for me anyway as it goes on the charger at night anyway. 
    agree.  i suspect sales are up.  i ordered two SS apple watches as gifts and both are delayed by two weeks
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 87
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member
    duervo said:
    I obviously cannot speak for anybody else, but I still like my first gen Apple Watch, and continue to wear/use it everyday.
    I particularly like it with the OS 3 upgrade. 

I think the Watch will be fine, so long as Apple keeps making regular, incremental updates. 

My ongoing gripe with Apple these days is that making regular, incremental updates seems beyond their capacity for far too much of their product line. Hopefully they'll get that sorted out. 
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 87
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,295member

The melancholy associated with Apple Watch sales and possibly to some extent Apple sales in general may in part be attributable to the unease surrounding the tense and historical election, its rabid preliminaries and the uncertainty going forward with the political dynamics here and abroad. A multi faceted socio/psycho Malaise that has stopped many in their tracks. Not me though, I am enjoying my Apple tools and toys regardless. Best to all on all sides of that last diatribe!
    I think there are legitimate complaints about the state of Apple, but I think you're onto something there. 

I think that in both the US and Europe, people feel very much let down by political leaders and are grasping desperately for something better. But in grasping desperately for something better I fear we will all get something far worse instead. Unhappy times. 
    larrya
  • Reply 34 of 87
    Last night I visited Apple's first retail store, in Tysons, VA. There were many customers looking at iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro... but zero customers looking at Watch.

i love my Watch and use it daily, but Apple still needs to find a way to build broad enthusiasm for this category.
    Of course there is no one looking at Watch because the Watch is in a display case. The other products can be touched and played around with. A lot of times when I go into my Apple store the product tables are quite dead and everyone is at the back by the Genius Bar.
  • Reply 35 of 87

Rayz2016 said:
    Or until Tim Cook is fired. It's amazing to me how not releasing Watch sales figures means the product is a flop yet Amazon can get away with not ever releasing figures on anything and their stock is at record highs. No one says the Kindle or Echo are flops even though Amazon releases no sales data on either yet Watch is because Apple won't give us sales figures. I don't get how that logic works.
    2old4funcalianantksundaram
  • Reply 36 of 87
    asdasd said:
    Great comment on the sell through. Watch sales probably were stagnating and picked up due to faster watch os3 and better watch 2. IDC metrics (such as they are) probably lag reality by at least a quarter. 

Lets get real though. If the optics of this product were comparable to phones Apple would release numbers. They don't. The real heyday of the watch is yet to come, maybe not starting until 2018. 
  • Reply 37 of 87
    Swami BaloneySwami Baloney Posts: 19unconfirmed, member
    Wearables are not a growth market
  • Reply 38 of 87
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member

The problem with anecdotal evidence.....  I was at Tyson's Corner on Sunday night and I didn't even go to the Apple Store.  I went to Nordstrom and Shake Shack. I walked by the Microsoft Store and they didn't have enough customers to organize a game of checkers.   What does all that tell you about sales?

(Nordstrom was busy with a holiday shopping event for cardholders who spent enough money during the year.  I'd rather go to the dentist but my wife wouldn't miss it for the world. On the plus side - free wine. I skipped out for Shake Shack.)
    2old4funcalianantksundaramnetmage
  • Reply 39 of 87
    williamh said:

(Nordstrom was busy with a holiday shopping event for cardholders who spent enough money during the year.  I'd rather go to the dentist but my wife wouldn't miss it for the world. On the plus side - free wine. I skipped out for Shake Shack.)
    Let's have more wine and less whine.
    nubuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 87
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    One might assume an organization like IDC would be held accountable for its research but I’m guessing its clients pay well for FUD that can be used to their advantage against a competitor or other analysts. The stock market is based on FUD and always has been.
    watto_cobra