Samsung said to be following iPhone 7 by courageously omitting headphone jack in 'Galaxy S8'

Posted:
in General Discussion
The next flagship phone line coming from Samsung in 2017, expected to be called the "Galaxy S8," will likely omit the headphone jack in favor of a single USB-C port for charging and headphone use.

The most recent supply chain rumors about the "Galaxy S8" flagship phone from Sammobile note the lack of analog headphone jack, as well as a 2K resolution super AMOLED display similar to that in the Galaxy S7, but with embedded fingerprint sensor.

The "Galaxy S8" display is said to shift back to RGB, eschewing the company's previous use of the Diamond PenTile pixel layout. Overall, the design is expected to be aesthetically similar to that of the ill-fated Galaxy Note 7.

Apple ditched the headphone jack with the iPhone 7 family to much discontent, but was not the first smartphone to do so. Apple has also been tied to patents related to biometric sensors embedded behind smartphone screens, with the latest rumors pegging the technology to the "iPhone 8" refresh, expected in the fall of 2017.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I'd be more surprised if they didn't. Headphones using USB-C is the future for nearly every vendor.
    edited December 2016 jbdragonbdkennedy1002jony0cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 53
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    I am sure we will hear from many on this forum that this is a very stupid decision by Samsung...
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 53
    Don't miss the 3.5mm jack in the least. heh.
    lostkiwidoozydozenwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 53
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    You have idiot android users literally asking "why?"

*facepalm*
    SpamSandwichlostkiwidoozydozenwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 53
    USB-C will be a fine intermediary headphone connection, but wireless is the future and the more manufacturers that embrace it now, the faster we will see better wireless headphone technologies.
    caliStrangeDayslostkiwidoozydozenoneof52jony01983
  • Reply 6 of 53
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    So how long will it be before fAndroids start claiming iPhone didn't phase the 3.5 out first?
    lostkiwiscrutinizerdoozydozenwatto_cobrabrakken
  • Reply 7 of 53
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    On thebrucemc said:
    I am sure we will hear from many on this forum that this is a very stupid decision by Samsung...
     On the contrary the media will praise this as a courageous move by Samsung and how innovative Samsung for using USB-C. 
    ryan2012gilly017lostkiwidoozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 53
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    airnerd said:
    So how long will it be before fAndroids start claiming iPhone didn't phase the 3.5 out first?
    Well, in fact Apple was not the first. Apple was the first major OEM to get rid of the jack but they were not the first phone.
    jbdragonbaconstangdysamoriaration aljony0
  • Reply 9 of 53
    airnerd said:
     They'll pull out some obscure junk phone from the pool of 6000 iKnockoffs and find something. Even though they never used or cared about it. 
    StrangeDayslostkiwigeorgie01watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 53
    airnerd said:
    It didn't though, there were other model phones made by other manufacturers that used other types of connectors to provide audio.
    Apple is the first manufacturer who seems intent on pushing that decision throughout their entire product line however. The fact that Apple got a huge wave of frowns and outcries by users is going to make those very same users look like hypocrites though when they say nothing about it when Samsung does the same.
    calilostkiwiscrutinizerdysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 53
    airnerd said:
    Well, in fact Apple was not the first. Apple was the first major OEM to get rid of the jack but they were not the first phone.

The first phone was made by Bell I believe which did not have a headphone jack. This is who Apple copied. 

Android iPhone/iPad knockoffs are exempt from copying though. 
    mknelsonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 53
    Anyone else wonder if Apple will make the switch to USB-C for the 2017 iPhone? It only makes sense to help consolidate Apple's ports.   
    xmhillxbaconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 53
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    cali said:
    airnerd said:

The first phone was made by Bell I believe which did not have a headphone jack. This is who Apple copied. 

Android iPhone/iPad knockoffs are exempt from copying though. 
    I see what you are saying and it's funny. I was just stating that there were a few modern smartphones in the couple of years that did not have the jack. Did they sell that many? Not at all. Did anyone really know about them? Nope. 

Which is why I said Apple was the first major OEM to remove the jack and it mattered this time. 
  • Reply 14 of 53
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    and they made fun of apple in their commercials for not having a jack
    xmhillxscrutinizerwatto_cobraspheric
  • Reply 15 of 53
    cali said:
    airnerd said:
     They'll pull out some obscure junk phone from the pool of 6000 iKnockoffs and find something. Even though they never used or cared about it. 
    Yeah, obscure like that unknown brand Motorola?
    baconstangdysamoria
  • Reply 16 of 53
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    There is only one thing I can say HAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAa
    watto_cobrabrakkenspheric
  • Reply 17 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    brucemc said:
    ROFL!

Well not literally, but you know what I mean. 
  • Reply 18 of 53
    BUT BUT BUT BUT the critics !!! said !!! and there are all these courage memes !!! 

Hm.. What does this mean?? Are Android users listening wrong?
    xmhillxStrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 53
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    adrayven said:
    Don't miss the 3.5mm jack in the least. heh.
    I've never used the headphone port on my iPhone 6 which I've had for 2+ years now. Before that on my iPhone 4 that I had for 4+ years, I only used wired headphones for the first couple years. So really it's been 4+ years since I've used wired headphones. I just can't stand the dangling wire. These days you can get Bluetooth headsets from Amazon for around $20. I'm not going to say Samesung is Copying Apple, OK I am. Who cares. It's the embedded fingerprint sensor that Apple has been rumored to be doing that the S8 now is rumored to be getting, so how the fandroids will say Apple is copying. It's all rumors and so at this point why make any big deal about any of this.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

seankill said:
    Anyone else wonder if Apple will make the switch to USB-C for the 2017 iPhone? It only makes sense to help consolidate Apple's ports.   
    Not sure. I'm thinking that for the iPhone they'll keep the lightning port until they have no ports at all. Lightning allows them to detect when a dodgy cable has been used to charge the phone. I'm not 100% sure if they'd get away with that with USB-C. 
    edited December 2016 StrangeDaysmacxpresspscooter63