Samsung said to be following iPhone 7 by courageously omitting headphone jack in 'Galaxy S8'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    NY1822 said:
    and they made fun of apple in their commercials for not having a jack
    Kinda like all the guys Trump humiliated during the primary now lining up to kiss his butt for a job. There is little integrity in politics or business. 
    lostkiwigeorgie01
  • Reply 22 of 53
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    seankill said:
    Anyone else wonder if Apple will make the switch to USB-C for the 2017 iPhone? It only makes sense to help consolidate Apple's ports.   
    I seriously doubt it will happen. Wireless charging appears to be very near based on rumors, so if it makes it into a phone in the next two years, Apple will likely keep Lightning until they remove all ports completely from the iPhone. And even then, they will likely keep it for the iPad until it too adopts wireless charging. I don't see Apple giving up Lightning until the iPad Pro becomes a direct MacBook replacement, at which time, being the only device still using Lightning, Apple will likely switch it over to USB-C. Maybe then we'll finally see a Lightning to USB-C adapter so Lightning headphones can be used on a Mac.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 23 of 53

seankill said:
    Anyone else wonder if Apple will make the switch to USB-C for the 2017 iPhone? It only makes sense to help consolidate Apple's ports.   
    Lightning is probably better technology than USB-C, but Betamax was better than VHS. I'm going wireless to avoid having expensive orphaned headphones or adapters. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 24 of 53
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    cali said:
    airnerd said:
    So how long will it be before fAndroids start claiming iPhone didn't phase the 3.5 out first?
     They'll pull out some obscure junk phone from the pool of 6000 iKnockoffs and find something. Even though they never used or cared about it. 
    Apple wasn't the first!!! The First that sells any HUGE numbers of phones, but there were others that were first. I know Motorola's MotoZ is one of them. That's a well known brand name, though the number of MotoZ phones sold can't be all that many. I know LeEco has a couple phones without the port, but not much of a known phone in this country. So it's USB-C headphones or Bluetooth.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    cali said:
    airnerd said:
    So how long will it be before fAndroids start claiming iPhone didn't phase the 3.5 out first?
     They'll pull out some obscure junk phone from the pool of 6000 iKnockoffs and find something. Even though they never used or cared about it. 
    Yeah, obscure like that unknown brand Motorola?
    doesn't have to be an obscure brand to be an obscure *phone* as he said. i sure as hell couldn't name it. 
    georgie01watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 53
    It seems likely that's where the trend would be going once Apple made the move. All the Apple-hating critics who said they'd never buy a smartphone without a 3.5mm headphone jack will be turned into dumbass liars. Within a couple of years most flagship smartphones won't have that legacy jack and most consumers over time won't give a fig. You've got all these idiot haters who don't seem to understand the progress of tech and try to hold on to some old standards as long as they can. That's all well and good but they shouldn't be so vocal about it because it only makes them look downright retarded in the end. As I've said before, in a few years most consumers probably won't even remember there was such a headphone standard because humans tend to forget things about changes in tech. Heck, humans forget things far worse. As far as the 3.5mm headphone jack is concerned, they need to let it go. It's just not that big of a deal.

I have some old stereo amplifier around the house with a 1/4" headphone jack and I had to laugh to myself about the huge size of that thing. I remember there were plenty of people complaining about how important that jack size standard was and didn't want to see it go away.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 53
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Samsung needs the headphone jack space to keep their batteries from exploding.
    lostkiwibaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 53
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    I've had ppl on here arguing with me that Apple removing the headphone jack was going to kill Apple, that Apple was doomed from the horrible decision.

Fast forward and reports come out that initial iPhone orders were 60-70 million, then later 70-85 million, now 90-100 million orders from manufacturers & suppliers. Most interesting doom I've ever seen, for sure. 

Now Samsung is rumored to remove the headphone jack too in favor of one port.
    Their argument was Apple removing the jack, not that the single port wasn't USB-C. So now I'll expect the argument to morph into "well the single port is USB-C so it's a welcome change!" No, no. That wasn't your argument. You still need a dongle for your old headphones and studio equipment. Still need to buy new headphones if you hate adapters. Still can't charge and listen simultaneously; well sort of bc of induction pad charging; but what, are you going to sandwich the charging pad and phone in your hands so you can use it while it's charging? And it charges much slower with induction charging, might I add. I think more ppl want to use the phone & listen with headphones while charging, as opposed to have it lying there charging and listening only.
    edited December 2016 badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 53
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    It seems likely that's where the trend would be going once Apple made the move. All the Apple-hating critics who said they'd never buy a smartphone without a 3.5mm headphone jack will be turned into dumbass liars. Within a couple of years most flagship smartphones won't have that legacy jack and most consumers over time won't give a fig. You've got all these idiot haters who don't seem to understand the progress of tech and try to hold on to some old standards as long as they can. That's all well and good but they shouldn't be so vocal about it because it only makes them look downright retarded in the end. As I've said before, in a few years most consumers probably won't even remember there was such a headphone standard because humans tend to forget things about changes in tech. Heck, humans forget things far worse. As far as the 3.5mm headphone jack is concerned, they need to let it go. It's just not that big of a deal.

I have some old stereo amplifier around the house with a 1/4" headphone jack and I had to laugh to myself about the huge size of that thing. I remember there were plenty of people complaining about how important that jack size standard was and didn't want to see it go away.
    If this does come to pass, I expect the media silence on this to be deafening...
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 53
    jbdragon said:
    cali said:
    airnerd said:
    Apple wasn't the first!!! The First that sells any HUGE numbers of phones, but there were others that were first. I know Motorola's MotoZ is one of them. That's a well known brand name, though the number of MotoZ phones sold can't be all that many. I know LeEco has a couple phones without the port, but not much of a known phone in this country. So it's USB-C headphones or Bluetooth.
    Yes, the Moto-Z was definitely the first, but there was nowheres near the backlash about the loss of the standard headphone jack on the Moto-Z compared to the downright loathing of Apple and the iPhone 7.  Apple was considered the "bad guy" ruining people's lives with the removal of a sacred standard.  The internet was filled with how the Apple's iPhone 7 disrupted millions of innocent lives by not coming with a 3.5mm headphone jack and very little was said about the Moto-Z being the first.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 53
    tzeshan said:
    On thebrucemc said:
    I am sure we will hear from many on this forum that this is a very stupid decision by Samsung...
     On the contrary the media will praise this as a courageous move by Samsung and how innovative Samsung for using USB-C. 
    Exactly, if this turns out to be true Samsung will get a pass. They probably will be the ones to be hailed as 'courageous' by all the media lackeys. What a joke? Samsung is like that kid in elementary school who just can't help looking at the kid next to him assignments. What else you have coming Apple? I want a peek.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 53
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Rayz2016 said:

seankill said:
    Not sure. I'm thinking that for the iPhone they'll keep the lightning port until the have no ports at all. Lightning allows them to detect when a dodgy cable has been used to charge the phone. I'm not 100% sure if they'd get away with that with USB-C. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if a completely wirelessly phone doesn't come soon. The only real sticking point now is charging. As soon as Apple gets wireless charging down to where it works good, is reliable and just as fast as plugging in (if not faster) I don't see any reason why Apple needs to keep the lightning jack. There are other ways today to get your content to and from your phone and anything missing will either be oh well, or Apple will have a solution for you. And once Apple does this and takes the initial hit for doing so it won't be long before others follows suit. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 53
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    seankill said:
    I don't know what you mean by "consolidate" ports.  On the iPhone 7, there is only Lightning - so going to USB-C does not consolidate anything - it is swapping one port for another newer type.

I am 99.999% certain that Apple will not be making the connector on the iPhone USB-C.  That would be a HUGE impact to legacy accessories that work with close to 1 billion iOS devices.  

If you mean, will the 2017 ship with a Lightning to USB-C connector on the charging cable (instead of USB-A), then that is possible. 

I am pretty sure that Apple is moving towards not requiring such a port on future iPhones - charge via induction like the Apple Watch, and have a data interface like the smart connector on the iPad Pro.  Then wireless for everything else.  Much better water resistance.  Much more reliable.  I don't expect this in 2017 though...but who knows.
    edited December 2016 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 53
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Hey, that must be a feature, eh? Might leave room for the battery so it doesn't explode.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 53
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    macxpress said:
    Rayz2016 said:

seankill said:
    Not sure. I'm thinking that for the iPhone they'll keep the lightning port until the have no ports at all. Lightning allows them to detect when a dodgy cable has been used to charge the phone. I'm not 100% sure if they'd get away with that with USB-C. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if a completely wirelessly phone doesn't come soon. The only real sticking point now is charging. As soon as Apple gets wireless charging down to where it works good, is reliable and just as fast as plugging in (if not faster) I don't see any reason why Apple needs to keep the lightning jack. There are other ways today to get your content to and from your phone and anything missing will either be oh well, or Apple will have a solution for you. And once Apple does this and takes the initial hit for doing so it won't be long before others follows suit. 
    Does wireless charging work when the phone is powered off?  If not, how can you get rid off physical charging? 
  • Reply 36 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    airnerd said:
    The article already pointed that out. 
  • Reply 37 of 53
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    xmhillx said:
    I've had ppl on here arguing with me that Apple removing the headphone jack was going to kill Apple, that Apple was doomed from the horrible decision.
    To be fair I think it was more that it was premature to do so, not that there wouldn't be absolutely good reasons to do so. By this time next year it will be pretty standard to replace the old 3.5mm jack since better replacements like audio over USB-C will be readily available and many more headphone/earbud options will be on the market. It was going to happen no matter what Apple did this year, just perhaps not as quickly. 
    avon b7
  • Reply 38 of 53
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    airnerd said:
    Well, in fact Apple was not the first. Apple was the first major OEM to get rid of the jack but they were not the first phone.
    Apple was the first one who got rid of 3.5mm jack all together from their phone lines. Other(android) phone manufacturers, removed on one or two from their lineup. than couple of them even went back adding 3.5mm jack in next update.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 53
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Convergence of design, baby!
  • Reply 40 of 53
    It seems likely that's where the trend would be going once Apple made the move. All the Apple-hating critics who said they'd never buy a smartphone without a 3.5mm headphone jack will be turned into dumbass liars. Within a couple of years most flagship smartphones won't have that legacy jack and most consumers over time won't give a fig. You've got all these idiot haters who don't seem to understand the progress of tech and try to hold on to some old standards as long as they can ... As far as the 3.5mm headphone jack is concerned, they need to let it go. It's just not that big of a deal.
    The lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack on the iPhone 7 was a non-issue to me and didn't affect my decision to get one.

However, it's hard to see ditching the 3.5mm jack as a 'progress of tech' in terms of audio. To people involved in music technology it's a bit concerning how a longtime and convenient standard is being challenged—not because we need to hold onto the past but because the replacement may not have the same convenience.

As one example, for those involved in audio recording it is nice to be able to snag a pair of headphones knowing the only issue of compatibility is basically whether it's a 1/8" or 1/4" jack. What's going to be the new standard? Will we be able to buy a set of headphones that will work with every audio source or will we enter a ridiculous era of having to buy multiple sets of headphones depending on what audio source we are using? Even if the 'standard' headphone jack remains for audio engineers, undoubtedly the availability of such headphones will reduce. So far we have no assurance of a widely embraced standard of compatibility and that is legitimate cause for some concern.
    baconstangMacsplosionpscooter63