Shanghai consumer agency reports spontaneous iPhone 6 fires, Apple refutes claim

Posted:
in iPhone
With a battery repair program already in place, Apple is under more fire from consumer protection agencies in Shanghai, with eight claims of iPhone 6 fires -- but Apple blames external damage for the problem after inspection of the afflicted devices.

Shanghai's Consumer Council had gathered the reports of spontaneous combustion in the iPhone 6 family in conjunction with its own investigation of consumers' devices shutting down unexpectedly, according to the Wall Street Journal. As a result of the most recent complaint, Apple investigated the fires, and disassembled the afflicted devices.

Apple notes that it had found "external physical damage" to all of the devices involved in the fires. Apple further added that the customers who had experienced the fires should visit an Apple store, or contact support venues regarding the incidents.

"We appreciate that customers are more concerned than ever about the performance and safety of batteries in their mobile devices," Apple said in a statement.

The other battery issue that resulted in a repair program was discovered to be as a result of a battery component exposed to "controlled ambient air" longer than necessary during the assembly process. As a result, Apple explained on the Chinese website that the afflicted batteries degrade faster, and shut down the phone when voltage is too low to sustain computing operations safely.

Apple notes that the battery flaw as a result of the air exposure "is not a safety issue."

Apple recently began a battery swap program, allowing owners of iPhone 6s with the affected battery to get their phone fixed for free, or a refund if they previously paid for out-of-pocket repairs to the device. Apple recently introduced a Web tool for checking eligibility for the repair based on device serial number.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    No reason to believe that an Phone 6 undamaged by the user can't catch on fire, but I think it's more likely that the fire started with a poorly designed and made counterfeit charger.
    edited December 2016 macxpressSpamSandwichmagman1979JustaTechostevehpscooter63watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 40
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    "We appreciate that customers are more concerned than ever about the performance and safety of batteries in their mobile devices," Apple said in a statement.

ARRRGGGGGH.  That statement is like nails on a chalkboard.  Stop with the passive-aggressive statements, corporate America.  Grow a pair.  Everyone knows these reports are bullshit.  

Just come out and say it:  After investigation, Apple has determined that the affected devices suffered external damage prior to any malfunction.  There was no defect in design or materials that caused the incidents in question.  

The end! 

anantksundarammagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 40
    sdw2001 said:
    ARRRGGGGGH.  That statement is like nails on a chalkboard.  Stop with the passive-aggressive statements, corporate America.  Grow a pair.  Everyone knows these reports are bullshit.  

Just come out and say it:  After investigation, Apple has determined that the affected devices suffered external damage prior to any malfunction.  There was no defect in design or materials that caused the incidents in question.  

The end! 
    I don't see that as passive-aggressive, and it's not wise to make an absolute statement about there being "no defect" in the materials as they can't know that not a single battery could possibly have a defect, especially when there's now a massive replacement program for iPhone 6S batteries that did have a defect from the factory.
    edited December 2016 gatorguystanthemanpscooter63jony0
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Soli said:
    No reason to believe that an Phone 6 undamaged by the user can't catch on fire, but I think it's more likely that the fire started with a poorly designed and made counterfeit charger.

Don't buy this. Charging and current are all regulated within the iPhone, not the charger. The charger is just a dumb voltage supply. The real issues with chargers are things like poor insulation from line voltages which can pose a shock hazard.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Soli said:
    I expect if the proposed 30+% tariffs on imported goods is enacted China will suddenly make lots of false and misleading claims about US products.
    anantksundarammagman1979jcdinkinssatanslavegodentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 40
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This is no different than before. We all know. Chinese government propaganda..
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Soli said:

Don't buy this. Charging and current are all regulated within the iPhone, not the charger. The charger is just a dumb voltage supply. The real issues with chargers are things like poor insulation from line voltages which can pose a shock hazard.
    1) PSUs are quite complex when done properly, not dumb.

2) PSUs can absolutely catch fire.

edited December 2016 magman1979cwingravpscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Soli said:
    I expect if the proposed 30+% tariffs on imported goods is enacted China will suddenly make lots of false and misleading claims about US products.
    THIS! And not just related to tariffs, but unwelcome supposed 'adventurism' by Apples home country. This may be the new reality to expect dealing with the Chinese. Political pressure is best applied through business when the 'applier' of said pressure has few other viable options.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Soli said:
    I am quite worried about this too. What better attention-bait than making an example of Apple (remember those EC commissioners)?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Soli said:
    I am quite worried about this too. What better attention-bait than making an example of Apple (remember those EC commissioners)?
    Yep. I think it's going to happen and businesses need to make long-range plans to deal with this. Imagine if suddenly Apple was banned from China? It would devastate the company.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 40
    The 35% tariff will never pass congress regardless of party control.  You already have some republicans waffling on it.  Just my .02.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    Yep. I think it's going to happen and businesses need to make long-range plans to deal with this. Imagine if suddenly Apple was banned from China? It would devastate the company.
    No it won't.

China sales only makes up about 25% of Apple's revenue. That is not devestating. Especially since Apple would be able to bring back the $200 billion in cash.

Even with a 25% reduction in revenue Apple's profits is still massive. Still about 75% larger than Google, and Google is worth more than Apple sans cash.

It will give Apple an opportunity to focus on the markets in the USA, Japan, and Europe. There is still a ton of growth in those markets to add new products and services.

Frankly Tim Cook has been lazy the last 2 years. All he cared about was growing China and selling them big phones. Totally ignoring the USA/Europe/Japan customers.
    You're missing the point. You can't argue "but Apple's revenue would still be higher than yada yada" when taking about how investors are pricing a company that now will have 25% less revenue and from a nation that has a stock value factored because its growth potential. Even losing 10% of their revenue YoY would be devastating.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 40
    jcdinkins said:
    The 35% tariff will never pass congress regardless of party control.  You already have some republicans waffling on it.  Just my .02.
    That's 0.027¢ after I applied the tariff.
    entropyswatto_cobraroundaboutnow
  • Reply 14 of 40
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Soli said:
    Trump can only do 15% without Congressional approval. That would only be good for 150 days. The only way Trump could go higher is by invoking the Trading with the Enemy Act of 1917. Since we are technically at war, that would work if he wanted to go that route. 
  • Reply 15 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    A 30% percent tax on Chinese imports? All they would have to do is put 30% tax on their imports from us and destroy our midwest farm industries. Plus, since they are the world's largest market they could put the hurt on U.S. manufacturers. Not to mention, being the world's largest holder of our debt, they could trash us... China has already responded to Trump's tweets... ... It sounded vaguely like "Go ahead, make my day" And, besides, Trump's own party is already telling him they won't support his tax on corporate traitors. They HATE taxes of any sort.
    edited December 2016 roundaboutnow
  • Reply 16 of 40
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I wont believe it is true until Trump tweets so.
    SoliGeorgeBMacMacsplosionroundaboutnow
  • Reply 17 of 40
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Hey.  China.
    You're faking it wrong.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 40
    A 30% percent tax on Chinese imports? All they would have to do is put 30% tax on their imports from us and destroy our midwest farm industries. Plus, since they are the world's largest market they could put the hurt on U.S. manufacturers. Not to mention, being the world's largest holder of our debt, they could trash us... China has already responded to Trump's tweets... ... It sounded vaguely like "Go ahead, make my day" And, besides, Trump's own party is already telling him they won't support his tax on corporate traders. They HATE taxes of any sort.
    It works both ways. The trade deficit with China is out of control. Something needs to be done about it. Last year China sold us $367 billion worth of goods versus $116 billion worth of goods going to China. China is doing a ton of unfair trading policies. Manipulating their currency, illegal export subsidies, etc. China only owns about 7% of our debt. The reality is we are China's biggest trading partner. They have more to lose then us. Our neighbors to the north is the biggest trading partner of the U.S. 
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Since we are technically at war, that would work if he wanted to go that route. 
    We are? When was it declared? By whom?
  • Reply 20 of 40

Soli said:
    If something like that happens, a tariff would be the least of what the US should consider. It should simply disallow any ship/plane that left China from docking/landing in a port/airport.

Short term chaos, for sure. But it's time we stood up for something and showed some real guts.