iPhones account for 8 of top 10 cameras in 2016 Flickr report, Apple celebrates by offering Portrai

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
Photo sharing site Flickr noted that Apple remains the leading camera brand among its users, filling eight slots of its top ten most popular cameras. iPhones now account for 47 percent of its photographers, compared to 24 percent using Canon cameras and 18 percent using Nikons.

Source: Flickr

In its annual report for 2016, Flickr noted that, "as in previous years, smartphones have grown as the dominant device of choice, while point and shoot and DSLR cameras both lost ground."

Cameraphones grew to 48 percent of all photos uploaded in the year, compared to 39 percent in 2015. DSLRs shrank from 31 percent to 25 percent, and point and shoot cameras fell from 25 to 21 percent of users' uploads.

The site noted that 8 of the top 10 most popular imaging devices were Apple iPhones, with the company's last three annual models taking the top three positions in the year. Canon's 5D Mark III and 5D Mark II were the only non-Apple cameras to break into the top ten list.

Just one year ago, Apple accounted for 42 percent of Flickr photographers, a percentage that's since grown to 47 percent.

Apple's focus on high quality sensors, lenses and in particular advanced silicon logic in its A-series Application Processors has enabled the company to gain a strong reputation among both professional photographers and casual users who want an easy to use, but ultra simple tool for capturing images.

iPhone 7 takes the photos cake

This year, Apple has capitalized on its advanced camera imaging savvy to bring dual camera imaging to its best iPhone 7 Plus, along with a new Portrait mode that uses a dramatic depth of field effect for DLSR-rivaling background bokeh that focuses the viewer's attention on the foreground subject.

Photo by wedding photographer @benjhaisch, shot on iPhone 7 Plus and edited using Filmborn and Lightroom mobile.

Apple has profiled its new Portrait mode online, featuring the work of several photographers, including wedding photographer Benj Haisch (above).

Haisch said the iPhone 7 Plus Portrait mode "is absolutely changing the way I look at mobile photography," noting that "having a wide angle 28 mm equivalent paired with the 56 mm equivalent and Portrait mode has been game-changer in achieving professional results without bringing any additional equipment."

He added, "having soft, diffused lighting will help with keeping the photo flattering to your subject. Find a space that isn't too busy or distracting, as Portrait mode will create a photo that really pops."

West Coast burgers with bokeh

The new Portraits mode isn't just for capturing people (and pets): the dual-camera imaging mode can also be used to pop any subject away out from the surrounding background, such as with these two hamburgers: one at San Francisco's SuperDuper Burger, the other from Santa Monica's PierBurger.

In addition to the new Portrait mode, AppleInsider previously detailed a series of major imaging improvements on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, from low light captures to a better, brighter four element TrueTone flash, to the Plus 2x telephoto lens for photos, videos, slo-mo, time lapse and panorama capture.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    jas99jas99 Posts: 150member
    Not surprised. Apple's iPhone cameras are the best. 
    caliwatto_cobraiphonenick
  • Reply 2 of 15
    That damn Tim Cook! He is sitting at the helm of Apple with the successful iPhone 7 Plus that has dual cameras, software-powered Bokeh effect and software-powered 10X telephoto lens. He has to go because Samsung and others will quickly copy and surpass the software that was innovative like yesterday. I am calling for Tim to be replaced with someone else who will... :-))) 
    tmaypscooter63baconstangadamcMacsplosionRayz2016watto_cobrasmiffy31iphonenickjony0
  • Reply 3 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Add that to reports Apple is second only to Rolex is sales of watches by revenue (or so I read) which just goes to suggest Apple is doomed. /s
    baconstangadamcwatto_cobraiphonenickjony0
  • Reply 4 of 15
    That damn Tim Cook! He is sitting at the helm of Apple with the successful iPhone 7 Plus that has dual cameras, software-powered Bokeh effect and software-powered 10X telephoto lens. He has to go because Samsung and others will quickly copy and surpass the software that was innovative like yesterday. I am calling for Tim to be replaced with someone else who will... :-))) 
    You beat Sog # whatever, to it, well done ;)
    fotoformatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    "West Coast burgers with bokeh" ...   Just to be pedantic for the sake of it  ... 'bokeh' is an effect we've come to like, caused by the mechanism of the lens diaphragm refracting light and causing small hexagonal (or how ever many shutter blades there are) artifacts in the image specifically where there are points of brighter light in the background when shooting with large apertures and therefore shallow depth of focus.   Not simply background blur as shown in these examples which is what Apple is doing here.  Writers covering this should refer to this as artificial depth of focus blur or something like that, but it isn't bokeh.

As an aside and no connection to DOF blur which is a good thing, It reminds me of how we all love film grain and emulate it with plug ins to make pristine video look grainy because ... why .... ? It reminds us of the cinema?  People are funny creatures. :)

edited December 2016 pscooter63baconstangadamcdjsherlyiphonenick
  • Reply 6 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jas99 said:
    Not surprised. Apple's iPhone cameras are the best. 
    This says nothing about which camera is best. It simply means a whole lot of people own iPhones and use them to take pictures. And that’s a good thing. It points out that iPhone owners use them for more than just phone calls and texting like Android users.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    , along with a new Portrait mode that uses a dramatic depth of field effect for DLSR-rivaling background bokeh that focuses the viewer's attention on the foreground subject.
    Quit making shit up AI.  That "dramatic depth-of-field effect" you're fabricating is background blurring.  It is not even remotely in the same league as true bokeh.

I love how the iPhone takes photos, and it is great everyday camera.  In no way do any of the photos rival my Canon 5DM3 dSLR.  If you stopped sensationalizing that ho-hum effect as "DSLR-rivaling", many of us would not even be calling you out.

It's a nifty feature that Apple is doing, but a digital mockup of an analog effect is still a mockup.  Enough with the hyping.
    baconstangcyberzombieiphonenick
  • Reply 8 of 15
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    I use / like my SE camera, though I usually have my Canon G12 along for the telephoto and macro shots.
    watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 9 of 15
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    sflocal said:
    , along with a new Portrait mode that uses a dramatic depth of field effect for DLSR-rivaling background bokeh that focuses the viewer's attention on the foreground subject.
    Quit making shit up AI.  That "dramatic depth-of-field effect" you're fabricating is background blurring.  It is not even remotely in the same league as true bokeh.

I love how the iPhone takes photos, and it is great everyday camera.  In no way do any of the photos rival my Canon 5DM3 dSLR.  If you stopped sensationalizing that ho-hum effect as "DSLR-rivaling", many of us would not even be calling you out.

It's a nifty feature that Apple is doing, but a digital mockup of an analog effect is still a mockup.  Enough with the hyping.
    At least we have a choice of taking great pics with blurred background without having to break the bank. I bet you your equipment cost 3 to 4x more than the iPhone and it can't even take calls.
    tmay
  • Reply 10 of 15

The West Coast Burgers Bokeh snaps are a bust. Apple's portrait mode is superb in many cases. It isn't showcased at all here.

I also think AI would get a whole lot less grief from photographers if they simply referred to it as Apple's Portrait Mode. No need to explain it anymore!

cyberzombiejony0
  • Reply 11 of 15
    That leaves just 11% for all other camera manufacturers? All the Samsung etc.? They got these megapixel cameras but just don't take any good pictures worth sharing?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Sogged it.  :-D

watto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

adamc said:
    sflocal said:

At least we have a choice of taking great pics with blurred background without having to break the bank. I bet you your equipment cost 3 to 4x more than the iPhone and it can't even take calls.
    Laugh for the morning! Thank you, sir. 

Schiller did point out at the iPhone7 launch that the iPhone isn't a DSLR camera, but AI likes to generate a little 'pro-outrage' from time to time. Makes for angry clicks. 

watto_cobraiphonenick
  • Reply 14 of 15
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member

The West Coast Burgers Bokeh snaps are a bust. Apple's portrait mode is superb in many cases. It isn't showcased at all here.

I also think AI would get a whole lot less grief from photographers if they simply referred to it as Apple's Portrait Mode. No need to explain it anymore!

Arguably computational imaging will improve over time and iPhone iterations, and the addition of more slices per image/higher processor performance will reduce artifacts and improve blur in "Portrait Mode", better mimicking "bokeh".

This isn't lost on smartphone owners, who are even less interested in purpose built cameras and accessories, the industry now reduced for the most part to 1 inch sensors and greater, while still struggling to adapt to social media. Many people find the current crop of smartphones "good enough" for their needs.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Screw Canon.  

Sorry I am a Nikon fan boy.