Sony to release six games for iOS & Android in next financial year

Posted:
in iPhone
Taking a cue from Nintendo, Sony's PlayStation division is reportedly aiming to launch six games for iOS and Android in the financial year starting in April.

In fact the company has announced 10 upcoming mobile games in all, from franchises including Arc the Lad, PaRappa the Rapper, and Everybody's Golf, Fortune said on Wednesday. The titles will initially be limited to Japan, eventually migrating to other Asian countries.

That's presumably because Japan is an increasingly mobile-oriented gaming market, with over half of its $12.4 billion in revenue coming from that segment. Traditionally both Sony and Nintendo, native companies to the island, have focused on console games or at least their own handhelds, such as the PlayStation Vita and Nintendo 3DS.

Nintendo is well into its own initial smartphone gaming foray, having scored an early success with Pokemon Go, developed by Niantic. Due just over a week from now is Super Mario Run, the first-ever Mario game to appear on iOS outside of unofficial emulators.

The two companies are likely to continue investing mainly in their own platforms. Smartphone games typically don't generate much revenue without a steady stream of in-app purchases, and publishing on the iOS App Store or Google Play means losing a portion of income to Apple or Google.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    sog35 said:
    and so it begins

the switch to mobile was inevitable

In a few years stand alone home consoles will be only for the very hardest of hard core gamers.

Why buy specialized hardware when your phone/ipad/AppleTV has enough power to run 90% of the games?

This is the same reason why I see Fitbit and other fitness trackers being niche devices in a few years and the AppleWatch dominating the market. Single purpose devices are great when the technology is new. But as the tech matures you won't be able to survive if you only can do one thing.

Can't wait till AppleTV starts getting some real high quality games
    The problem with this thinking is that size always allows even more power and flexibility, and for many people, an Xbox or PS4 is already a multi-purpose system.

Also, some game genres just don't play well without a gamepad, which Apple devices don't come bundled with. And it will be a very long time before phones or the Apple TV can handle "real" VR.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    and so it begins

In a few years stand alone home consoles will be only for the very hardest of hard core gamers.

Why buy specialized hardware when your phone/ipad/AppleTV has enough power to run 90% of the games?

This is the same reason why I see Fitbit and other fitness trackers being niche devices in a few years and the AppleWatch dominating the market. Single purpose devices are great when the technology is new. But as the tech matures you won't be able to survive if you only can do one thing.

If Apple took the TV seriously, believe me they would destroy Sony/MS. Problem is, they aren't. A8 processor are you kidding me?

I wish Apple would:

-include the latest A-processor. Since Apple TV isn't a portable device, size isn't an issue. So add all the latest tech.

-Intergrate Kinect technology and in innovative ways(shopping, FaceTime etc)

-open the Siri remote Lightning port to 3rd parties.(HUGE developer potential)

-New Siri remote with Taptic Engine, force touch, buttonless, M9 processor.

with these features we may see a $300 version but it'll be well worth it if it means getting huge games, faster interface and gaming subscription services from Sony etc.
    techprod1gywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sog35 said:
    cali said:
    sog35 said:
    and so it begins

If Apple took the TV seriously, believe me they would destroy Sony/MS. Problem is, they aren't. A8 processor are you kidding me?

I wish Apple would:

-include the latest A-processor. Since Apple TV isn't a portable device, size isn't an issue. So add all the latest tech.

-Intergrate Kinect technology and in innovative ways(shopping, FaceTime etc)

-open the Siri remote Lightning port to 3rd parties.(HUGE developer potential)

-New Siri remote with Taptic Engine, force touch, buttonless, M9 processor.

with these features we may see a $300 version but it'll be well worth it if it means getting huge games, faster interface and gaming subscription services from Sony etc.
    Just another example of Tim Cook's Apple.

The last couple years he put all his eggs in the China basket and basically ignored the USA/Europe/Japan markets.
    And now he has egg whites all over his face with China tanking and the communist government bullying Apple.

Instead of focusing only on China, Apple should have grown products/services for USA/Europe/Japan such as:

1. A powerful AppleTV that can play real games.
    2. Live TV package for AppleTV
    3. True top end 4 inch phone. The SE is nice. But a 4 inch iPhone7 would be nicer. Of course China does not give a shit about small phones and that's why we don't have a 4 inch iPhone7. 

4. New MacPro, iMac, and Mac Mini. Instead Timmy is wasting his time on making everything GOLD the last 2 years. Cause China

Timmy is putting so much energy in China the last 2 years that he has totally ignored the USA/Europe/Japan markets.

At least they released new Macbook Pro's. Hopefully that is the first step to stop treating the USA/Japan/Europe as second class citizens. Next year he has too take more steps to maximize and grow the USA/Japan/Europe markets by:

1. Releasing a true top-end compact phone. The USA/Japan market loves their smaller phones. 
    2. Release a new powerful AppleTV with A11 chip that can compete with home consoles. Close deals with big gaming devs. Pack 1 controller for free to push gaming
    3. Close on the Live TV package
    4. Release new Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac mini. And have them upgradeable and price competitive.
    5. Release new mid-range iPad
    I wouldn't say China is a waste of time as it brings big dough$$

We don't know what Apple is doing at the moment. They could be creating an amaing TV experience as we speak.

with the TV app imagine Apple producing original content only for the TV App?

when I was disappointed with the 4th Gen Apple TV specs people said my ideas would make the TV "too expensive".
    NEWS FLASH: Apple never did cheap and $500 consoles are selling like mad, eating marketshare from Apple.

for those who don't want an "expensive" 5th gen Apple TV, Apple could always offer a "casual" 64GB version and offer a lower priced 4th gen for those who don't want advance gaming.

lineup:

5th gen A10X 128Gb Apple TV $300
    5th gen A10X 64GB Apple TV $200
    4th gen Apple TV 32GB $100
  • Reply 4 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    sog35 said:
    and so it begins

No way. Mobile devices don't have enough power to run 99% of console games. Who wants to play a FPS such as Battlefield 1 on a tiny screen? No one does. No way in hell can an Apple TV run the most popular console games. I doubt Apple TV will ever have a high quality game such as The Last of Us. Not enough power to run it or even hard drive space for the game itself. Consoles aren't going away at all for casual gamers or even hard core gamers. People want to play real games on their TV's, not these little silly games like Angry Birds on a tiny screen. 
    Roger_Fingas
  • Reply 5 of 12
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The titles will initially be limited to Japan, eventually migrating to other Asian countries.

Screw that! Release them in the USA!

I used to play parappa the rapper all of the time on my PS1, back in the day!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    sog35 said:
    and so it begins

No way. Mobile devices don't have enough power to run 99% of console games. Who wants to play a FPS such as Battlefield 1 on a tiny screen? No one does. No way in hell can an Apple TV run the most popular console games. I doubt Apple TV will ever have a high quality game such as The Last of Us. Not enough power to run it or even hard drive space for the game itself. Consoles aren't going away at all for casual gamers or even hard core gamers. People want to play real games on their TV's, not these little silly games like Angry Birds on a tiny screen. 
    WHAT?! Nothing is impossible for Apple as we've seen in history.

Apple TV with A10X processor plus Metal will be close enough for PS3 ports.

No one has to download The Last of Us, my entire itunes library is terabytes and I can stream it on my Apple TV. Heck, downloading isn't even an option!

Apple can take it a step further and create a gaming edition of A-series chips.  Which I have wanted but it's not as practical. 

It isn't that Apple can't do it, but Apple isn't doing it 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    cali said:

No one has to download The Last of Us, my entire itunes library is terabytes and I can stream it on my Apple TV. Heck, downloading isn't even an option!
    The PS3 is a 10 year old console, the difference between PS3 games and PS4 games are like day and night, and now with the PS4 Pro, you want to aim for PS3 games?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    jfanning said:
    cali said:

The PS3 is a 10 year old console, the difference between PS3 games and PS4 games are like day and night, and now with the PS4 Pro, you want to aim for PS3 games?

Not "night and day" at all. There's actually been a lot of fuss about graphics not advancing fast enough. This is why ports are easy to develop cross platform.

you're not really understanding the point.
    point is Apple would catch up FAST.
    A10X is sufficient enough to entice gamers to the platform.
    2017 A11X
    2018 A12X
    Very soon you'll see A-Series chips compete with consoles. Apple shouldn't even be close to a PS3 in a tiny iPhone.
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    cali said:
    sog35 said:
    and so it begins

Apple can take it a step further and create a gaming edition of A-series chips.  Which I have wanted but it's not as practical. 

It definitely isn't impossible for Apple to make something that can play console games, but they won't do it. It would actually be really cool if Apple did. I would definitely purchase a gaming Apple TV. Streaming music and movies is a lot different compared to a video game. No way could you stream a shooter for example and have a playable frame rate. The Last of Us wouldn't even be playable unless you dropped the resolution significantly. 
    cali
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I sure as heck am getting Parappa the Rapper the moment it comes to the US App Store.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    cali said:
    sog35 said:
    and so it begins

It definitely isn't impossible for Apple to make something that can play console games, but they won't do it. It would actually be really cool if Apple did. I would definitely purchase a gaming Apple TV. Streaming music and movies is a lot different compared to a video game. No way could you stream a shooter for example and have a playable frame rate. The Last of Us wouldn't even be playable unless you dropped the resolution significantly. 
    You have a point. Internet providers would be the biggest bottleneck.

its not "impossible" but speeds in America are at a snails pace compared to other countries and hardware capability.