November set App Store's 'highest monthly sales ever,' says Apple's Schiller

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    adamc said:

avon b7 said:
    Did he tweet it the last time the record was broken?

I can't see much newsworthy here. Ok, it was a tweet, so he can fire off whatever he wants. That's what tweets are for.

Can we assume that the new MBPs didn't break any records in November?

This is what happens when Apple starts spurting these kinds of things. It just leads to more speculation.

First Phil proclaimed great sales of the new MBPs (yes, the devil is in the details, I know), then Tim waded in to defend against claims of a downturn in Apple Watch sales. Now this.

I can't really see the point. The proof will be in the pudding: next earnings call. 

They say, 'we don't comment on future products'. They could also say, 'we don't comment on sales'. 

Who be next to tweet? Craig, Eddy, Jony?

He has a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders to tell the truth otherwise he can be sued for deceiving them.

So you reckon others can BS about Apple's performance and the management of Apple is not allowed to correct them.

I believe you are the one who put words in their mouth they never said anything at all.
    'Not allowed'?

Are you making this up?

it's not about deceit. It's not about lies. It's not about permission.

It's about whether it's a good idea to go on record when someone trashes you (rightly or wrongly) because you only make a rod for your own back in the end.

If they keep this up, people will begin speculating on everything that isn't 'defended' every time something bad gets forecast.

Apple's biggest defence is its earnings call.

Schiller's tweet was worthless. What if November revenues were just one dollar above the previous record? Would that make it newsworthy? Has he tweeted on this subject in the past? It is only newsworthy in the context of an earnings call and placed into the bigger picture.

What next? Best ever revenue for a week? A day?

I have no issue with his  claim. It was just a tweet and pretty lacking in substance at that.

My opinion is that all Apple higher management is touchy at the moment.

You speak about shareholders but it's hard to imagine that someone will not bring up the subject of the missing iMac Xmas refresh at the next shareholder assembly.

And if sales of the new MBPs aren't flowing at  the right pace, we can expect some grilling of the board.

Whichever way it swings in terms of sales, I can't remember seeing higher management this touchy in a long, long time.

edited December 2016
  • Reply 22 of 27
    If they keep talking about 'The AppStore' to mean iOS only, you know how bad the situation is for the Mac AppStore...
    asdasd
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    crowley said:
    eightzero said:
    Where's Angie? Isn't she in charge of Apple Stores?
    Retail stores, not digital stores, I believe.
    sog35 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    sog35 said:
    At this point the only positive is services.

But we wary Apple. The user base won't continue to grow if you continue to treat them like crap.

I wish Tim Cook has vision and a plan and strategy.

At this point the end game should be to grow the user base in iOS, Mac, and TvOS as much as possible. Even if this means margins go down. The true end game is Apple makes over 50% of its revenue in services. Then they can easily grow revenue by offering new services each year.

Services such as:

1. Banking 
    2. Home security
    3. Home automation
    4. Live TV package
    5. Movie streaming (like netflix)
    6. Movie sharing (like Youtube)
    7. Expand iCloud
    8. Expand Apple leasing hardware

But Timmy seems so stuck on trying to maximize margins instead of looking 5 years at a growing user base.

Yes, by selling all their personal data to boost your portfolio. 
    No by responsibily using your data to provide better services
    They do that already. You're the one who wants them to monetise it.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

eightzero said:
    crowley said:
    eightzero said:
    Oh. Right. My bad.

Nope, you're right. She's in charge of real estate development, the physical stores, the online stores (and I assume that covers the app stores) and the customer contact centres. 

The woman is a silent titan of industry.

If she wasn't older than Cook, then I would have said she's the next CEO.

https://www.apple.com/pr/bios/angela-ahrendts.html

• Reply 25 of 27
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Rayz2016 said:

eightzero said:
    crowley said:
    eightzero said:
    Oh. Right. My bad.

Nope, you're right. She's in charge of real estate development, the physical stores, the online stores (and I assume that covers the app stores) and the customer contact centres. 

The woman is a silent titan of industry.

If she wasn't older than Cook, then I would have said she's the next CEO.

https://www.apple.com/pr/bios/angela-ahrendts.html

she's done nothing in Apple as far as I can see. 
  • Reply 26 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    OK I admit it, it was me.  I had to spend a lot on a new Platinum Amex to get 30,000 skymiles.