Apple investigating iCloud Calendar spam solution

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    tyler82 said:
    guyr said:
    If you ONLY have an iPhone or iPad, you can NEVER visit icloud.com and see the same things as if you are on a Mac/PC - so you can't change the settings... So the only option is to create a new Junk Calendar and go that route. So Apple, please also allow a pass through to the web options too, or and this might be crazy, have those same settings available on the web also available through the App settings on an iOS device...
    Just click on the share arrow in Safari, and there is an option for "request desktop site." That will give you the full web page as if you are viewing from a computer.
    Did that. It doesn't work if you're on an iPhone. You can get to it but it's designed NOT to be zoomed and scrolled, so it's entirely useless.

There's no reason for there to be iCloud settings locked away on a website and not on our devices.

This is an extremely annoying situation and I hope they provide a solution very soon that doesn't force people to update their iOS version. 
  • Reply 22 of 33
    netrox said:
    netrox said:
    There's no way to delete the event without hitting "Decline" which is a big no no since it will inform the spammer you exist.
    As the article states,  and I have done, just create a new calendar called, for instance, "Spam", move the invites into that calendar and then delete the Spam calendar. The invite is now gone and you don't have to accept or decline it. 
    Yes and it's way too much trouble. 
    Indeed. It's an "Android"-ish solution. "Flash your device if you suspect you got hacked by Googligan"-like. And definitely, Apple should NEVER have built a system that actually sends responses/read acknowlegments without your full understanding and agreement.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 23 of 33
    guyr said:
    If you ONLY have an iPhone or iPad, you can NEVER visit icloud.com and see the same things as if you are on a Mac/PC - so you can't change the settings... So the only option is to create a new Junk Calendar and go that route. So Apple, please also allow a pass through to the web options too, or and this might be crazy, have those same settings available on the web also available through the App settings on an iOS device...
    Actually you can. If you use the share sheet to request desktop site it will switch and let you log into iCloud.com on an iOS device. I've done it many times.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cxxc said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Weird thing is that spammers have taken so long to catch on to this.
    It's actually been happening for some time now, but it's becoming more widespread now.

People complained about this on Apple Communities back in 2012:  https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3705591?tstart=0

No excuse then. They should have dealt with this much sooner. 
    boredumbdysamoria
  • Reply 25 of 33
    I can't understand that Apple hasn't included a "Decline and don't answer" button from the start.
    The create a new calender and move the invitation solution works for me but that is far from Apple's "It just works".
    boredumbdysamoria
  • Reply 26 of 33
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    copeland said:
    I can't understand that Apple hasn't included a "Decline and don't answer" button from the start.
    The create a new calender and move the invitation solution works for me but that is far from Apple's "It just works".
    I became convinced long ago that nobody at Apple actually uses Calendar/iCal...at least not in the way the rest of the world uses calendars. From the very beginning iCal was little more than a glorified to-do list.

And a decline-don't-answer button would have probably cluttered the UI too much. ;-)
    boredumbavon b7
  • Reply 27 of 33
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    wiggin said:
    copeland said:
    I became convinced long ago that nobody at Apple actually uses Calendar/iCal...at least not in the way the rest of the world uses calendars. From the very beginning iCal was little more than a glorified to-do list.

And a decline-don't-answer button would have probably cluttered the UI too much. ;-)
    And that's the real point, isn't it.  Apple is so into their "Zen" approach to everything, that they remove useful functionality.   Outlook lets you do this.    And if someone sends you an email in Outlook and wishes to be notified that you've read it, you can still opt to not send the response.   The problem is that if you use iCloud for anything, you can't sync to Outlook calendars and address book.   I was very pissed when Apple/Microsoft couldn't get their act together on this.   I still use Outlook for mail because I prefer it over Apple Mail, but I'm forced to use Apple's Contacts and Calendar, otherwise they won't sync to the phone.  

And yet in Calendar, Apple still has that dual list of calendars: one set for the Cloud and one set for the Mac, which NEVER made any sense to me whatsoever.   And these categories should have been just that - an attribute of the event, not separate calendars.   There's no way to delete a category or combine them without deleting its associated events.   Really poor design, IMO.
    boredumb
  • Reply 28 of 33
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    guyr said:
    Actually you can. If you use the share sheet to request desktop site it will switch and let you log into iCloud.com on an iOS device. I've done it many times.
    On what device? An iPad? Try it with an iPhone and you'll see how impossible it is to navigate. 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    The anger.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 33
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    guyr said:
    If you ONLY have an iPhone or iPad, you can NEVER visit icloud.com and see the same things as if you are on a Mac/PC 
    On the iPhone in Safari, tap and hold the Refresh button in the address bar then tap Request desktop site.
    guyr
  • Reply 31 of 33
    guyrguyr Posts: 50member
    tyler82 said:
    guyr said:
    Just click on the share arrow in Safari, and there is an option for "request desktop site." That will give you the full web page as if you are viewing from a computer.
    Well blow me down with a feather... that should be front and centre as a link on the actually page, not 'hidden' in the link and then swipe to the far right.  Thanks for the heads up though, maybe this will work for all those sites that default to the mobile version too....
  • Reply 32 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    guyr said:
    tyler82 said:
    guyr said:
    Well blow me down with a feather... that should be front and centre as a link on the actually page, not 'hidden' in the link and then swipe to the far right.  Thanks for the heads up though, maybe this will work for all those sites that default to the mobile version too....
    Tap and hold on the reload arrow gives you the option as well. Been there for a while. Doesn't always work, though.
    guyr
  • Reply 33 of 33
    guyrguyr Posts: 50member
    Just an update, when using that solution on the iPhone, it does not allow pinch and zoom or movement on the page, only a couple of tiles are showing and view along the left alignment of the page for some reason, So its still not possible to use properly, I'll have to try on an iPad too though.